5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV
Published 22 months ago by Antony Steele

3.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're getting
Know what you're getting. On the internet, there's some discrepancy about this TV.

Published 18 months ago by Hank

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, October 28, 2012
Antony Steele (West Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 40PFL4707 40-Inch 60Hz LED-Lit TV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Purchased this unit at a Brick and Morter store, and the Manager gave me a great price on this unit. I was actually shopping for a Plasma, but this overall screen brightness in 1080 resolution backed by the LED-LCD really came through in incredible clarity. I am running this through a HTPC, and using regular Broadcast TV to view. The HD programs streaming from the Internet are incredible using the HDMI port. I have a separate speaker system through the HTPC, but the base TV speakers seem to do a nice job. I have not tried Blu Ray yet, but I do not think I will be disappointed. I want to add that this TV is very easy to set up and to optimize, versus some of the tuning and burn in you have to do with a Plasma. I do not regret the purchase, and it seems like excellent performance and value. Also, I have not run into any "blurred motion" problems that LCD is known for. The specification on this TV reads more like a high end Computer Monitor, with a super fast refresh rate. In essence, as I do not get any blurring problems on my HP Computer monitor playing games, I do not anticipate blurring problems on this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv!, November 4, 2012
I bought this model about 4 months ago and I don't
have any complain so far. The quality of the imaging and sound
is great. I use it for video games and movies and I recommend
this model to anyone looking for a very nice tv for a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, October 20, 2012
Purchased this TV about a month ago for my bedroom and it's been great. The picture is very clear and sharp. The sound is a little echo-y but that could just be from the location of the tv. Great product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, February 25, 2013
I bought this television in November of 2012 and am writing this about 3 months later.

Aside from the price, the most impressive spec for this unit is the yearly energy cost. At 4 hours per day, the annual claimed cost is $11...I suspect that assumes a lower cost per kwh than what I pay but it is something I am pleased with.

The television comes with plenty of connectors...I have a cable box and xbox connected to two of the three HDMI ports and sometimes connect a tablet to the third. I live too distant from any tv signals to comment on the over-the-air tuner but the pictures from cable are bright with no blurring during hockey or football games.

Though I will be attaching a sound bar to it, the sound quality and volume has been surprisingly good...enough so that I delayed the upgrade.

I am using the supplied stand which is both attractive and at least adequate in terms of sturdiness, I have the tv stand tethered to the wall but would be leery about this setup if small kids were in the house; while it seems stable, I am sure it wouldn't take a huge push to topple the television to the floor.

Possible Concerns:

-A note about the USB port: The manual state that you can use memory sticks up to 8 GB however it recognizes my 16 GB Patriot thumb drive well enough. Unfortunately, the only video format supported is 320 x 240 @ 30 fps. I use the xbox to watch videos instead.

-When watching videos through the Xbox on some services such as Crackle, the sound through the television speakers is very muddy and has to be cranked up. I suspect that if I played with the sound settings, I could clear it up a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding TV, December 28, 2012
I was very impressed overall with this purchase. The screen had no dead pixels, it is sharp, and the color is excellent. It took a few adjustments with the remote (aspect ratio) to get my MacBook Pro to display perfectly (no to little cropping).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, October 13, 2012
Ike D. (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
I will recommend this TV to all. I cannot believe I bought it for $350.00 including standard shipping. Got it in 2 days from STL Inc. Now I see the price has changed, but it is definitely a great TV. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're getting, February 9, 2013

First, the USB port is practically useless. It will show pictures, but it only shows videos formatted in "motion jpeg at 30 seconds per frame". In regular terms, don't expect any video from any UBS or Teradrive to work. If you think 'reformating will work'... good luck with that! Furthermore, if you have any audio files in that UBS stick, those won't work on this TV either. By the way, over the internet there's some discrepancy on whether this is a Smart TV - it's not. No Apps. No internet browser. Yada yada. Don't trust TopTenReviews*com is my point on this.

Though i'm still contemplating taking it back, especially if i can get a better deal in the next twenty days and counting. There are a couple of things that are stopping me. The sound from the monitor is fantastic. I've heard horror stories about RCAs and poor sound quality. What's more, it is a name brand, LED, 1080p for a good ratio ($400 to a 40inch). That's a decent deal.

Three stars for me. I realize they cut where they could cut (this Philips TV is the only model with a subpar USB) but this is a decent deal for less than $400.

Oh, if you are paying more than $400, pass. This TV can shoot up in price, but I'd wait for it to come back to $400... if you aren't getting that deal, I can't stress it enough. Pass!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, December 7, 2012
I've only had this set for a month; but so far it delivers beautifully! The set was not complicated to set up, and the LED screen is crystal clear. I basically have set and left it on the "SPORTS" setting for very vivid color and motion. Hopefully, it will give us many years of excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inexpensive TV, April 3, 2013
Great TV. No downsides that I can see. For the price, I couldn't have gone wrong. Everything works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful picture, January 3, 2013
Very light weight for the size and super impressed with the picture and speaker sound. This being paired up with my Roku and I am fully entertained!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›