on April 23, 2012
This is the perfect indoor LED flood light bulb. Absolutely perfect. It is a significant upgrade to their previous generation bulb (which was very good). Here's why:

1. For 13 watts you get 730 lumens of light which puts it right at 65 Watt equivalence for most indoor floods. The previous generation of this bulb was just a tiny bit dimmer, more of a 60 Watt equiv.

2. It gives off light at 2700K, which is exactly equivalent to a typical incandescent. The previous generation of this bulb was at 3000K giving it a much cooler appearance. Close to incandescent, yes, but not close enough. If you need or prefer a warm look, or you want an EXACT replacement for your incandescent, this is the one to get. I have some of these in the kitchen along with incandescent bulbs and the light color is exactly the same. Perfect.

3. It has a terrific diffuser. No hot spots under the bulb, and no hot spots visible through the diffuser, either. Just even, warm white light.

4. It turns on in about 1/4 of a second. That's close enough to "instant on" in my book.

Note that the bulb is a little bit shorter than a typical incandescent, 65 Watt flood. If you are using cans for your lights, the bulb will recess into the fixture just a little bit more.
on July 25, 2012
I purchased one of these elsewhere when they initially came out. Currently it's 7/25/12 and last I checked at Home Depot there was not an Energy Star label on this, thus, no rebate available from my local utility. This light however is great. Replaced one 65W incandescent bulb to test it out.

1.It is just as bright as the 65W, actually a bit brighter.

2.I cannot tell a difference in color temperature from the incandescent lamps (2700K).

3.Nice wide beam with the light evenly spread, my other incandescent lamps are brightest directly under the bulb and taper off quickly as you move out. (Replaced one bulb out of 4 in the kitchen and do notice the difference, looks brighter).

4.This lamp is lighter than other similar type incandescent replacements. (Lighter, redesigned heat sink).

5.Doesn't glare, I sit with a computer and magazine under it with no issues.

Other notes;

None of my can lights have the bulb (incandescent) sitting in them at a uniform depth. And since this lamp is a tiny bit longer, throws light almost straight out and has the metal ring around it(for cooling), there is a slight shadow around the recessed can trim that I'm testing it in. Is it a big deal? Not for me, but some people may not like it for that, this depends on what you have for can light fixture as well.

Also, this is an LED lamp, but they still get hot, don't touch.

Overall, I would recommend.
on June 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have one of these bulbs installed next to three standard 65W BR30 incandescent floods so I am able to compare them directly.

My observations:

The color is close, but definitely not a perfect match. The incandescent bulbs appear slightly more green/yellow.

This bulb sends much more light at wide angles, up to nearly 180 degrees. That means it lights up more of the room than the incandescents which send more of their light downward. (That's because this bulb has a diffuser whereas the incandescents do not.)

This bulb appears brighter than the 65W incandescent it replaced. This is probably due to the light going at wider angles which lights up the walls more than incandescents do. This effect is probably most noticable when your fixture is mounted very near to a wall or walls like mine is.

If more light is reflected off your walls it could change the apparent color of the bulb, especially if your walls aren't white.

Overall, great bulb. No complaints, except about the gold-plated price for which I removed a single star. Hopefully these will come down into the $20 range eventually.

I like the fact that it lights up more of the room since it means we need to turn on other lights less often.

I think the only reason someone wouldn't like it is if they are expecting a direct nobody-can-tell-the-difference replacement for an incandescent bulb.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
What a difference a year makes. I'd gone to Home Depot a year or so ago and tried out several different LED floodlights just to see how they looked compared to the existing halogen bulbs I was using. The previous LED "floodlights" were anything but. Massive hotspots, no diffuse light, and took well over a second to turn on. They went back immediately and I returned to using my regular 65W Halogena lights. Recently another one of the Halogena bulbs blew, and Home Depot is no longer carrying them - only the "Super Saver" versions, which are OK but more expensive than the old non-Super Saver versions. I decided to take a leap of faith based on the reviews here and I am so pleased that I did!

The quality of the light coming from this Philips bulb is amazing. It's a very close match in color and strength to the bright white 65W Halogena light in the nearest recessed fixture. While it does take about 250ms to turn on, the light floods much more evenly than the Halogena ever did. My wife honestly couldn't tell which bulb was the LED.

Use these in your recessed fixtures. Absolutely, without any question, LED technology has finally reached the mainstream and equaled or excelled the old halogen lights I had been using! I will definitely be buying more of these to replace the halogens as they blow out.
on February 12, 2013
I just changed 3 of my kitchen lights with these and the light is "WHITE". Not "warm" My wife was okay with Philips CFL R30 but she is going to be really pissed when she comes back from work and turns the lights on. Did not expect this much WHITENESS. May have to change them back to CFL. BTW I was not gaiing much by switching to LED from CFL. hardly 2 watt saving but $20 increase in cost.
I just want to test the LED bulbs for the geekiness and "coolness" factor. I think the White light is a deal breaker.
Will update,
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 27, 2012
Philips seems to make some of the better LED bulbs and this one is one of the better if not the best Philips LED's I've seen.

Great brightness, great color, low power usage, virtually instant on, dimmable and even the bulb itself looks cool. No more ugly looking heat sink, this has more of an air vent that looks much more sleek, plus the bulb itself looks like how one would imagine a 21st century light bulb should look.

One thing to look out for is the packaging- wear gloves trying to unpack this thing as the plastic clamshell seems specifically designed to slice your fingers as much as possible.
on August 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is by far the best LED flood I've found and I've tried about 10 different brands, Most of the older ones had a bluer light (3000K or over) which didn't work well in our living room or were more spot light rather than flood.

The light has a 0.25 second delay from turning on the switch until it turns on which is close enough to instant on that I no longer notice. You will notice if you're replacing just a few of these with some standard 65 watt floods. The diffuser looks great and the light is wonderful and a tad brighter than the standard 65 watt bulb. I use them in my office and living room and don't notice much shadowing or glare.

They are able to dim as well down to a pretty low level. The light doesn't seem to change drastically with dimming either and I think they're very good for this purpose.

The only cons are cost and the very tiny delay turning on and knowing that every year the technology is getting better so by investing in these now, they'll only be cheaper and better in the coming years. I've replaced 26 of my BR30 65 watt floods with these and besides the price I'm thrilled at the light and power savings. I was never able to find an acceptable CFL flood that I could live with so I'm pretty happy about the energy savings and light quality of these lights.

The cost benefit goes way down if you're replacing a bunch of CFL lights so for now I've only replaced my floods with LED and have standard CFL bulbs in a lot of other places which are adequate but not great. I'll be replacing all my bulbs with LEDs as they burn out.
on July 2, 2012
This is the first BR30 style LED bulb that I have tested that actually gets the job done! So many LED bulbs out there fit the socket and housing size but fail to produce enough light dispersion to actually replace a standard incandescent or those pesky take 5 minutes to warm up compact fluorescents! Even Philips other bulbs I have used fail to get the job done but this style and model bulb with its 730 lumens and white face has been a total home run for my home. Expensive as hell, but gets the job done in total style and its 2700 degree temp means they even look like those standard incandescent bulbs! So lets see... I have done 2 rooms now, they dim really nicely... Only about 30 more to go! (ouch!). Buy with confidence, these are ready for Prime Time!
on May 28, 2013
I've purchased several of these for ceiling can lights throughout the house. I'm very pleased that you don't have to replace the can and that the bulbs are dimmable.

Several comments have been made that the light is too white. I've installed dimmer switches in every location where I use these bulbs. I find that by slightly dimming the bulb, I get a light that is very close to the 65w incandescent bulbs I previously used in these fixtures. And for those moments when I really need a lot of light, I just turn up the dimmer.

I only give the bulb 4 stars because they are expensive (about $30 at Home Depot).
on April 16, 2013
Although it seemed ridiculously expensive for a light bulb, the "green consumer" in me thought that a light bulb that lasts 22.8 years and only uses 13 watts would pay for itself over time. The quality of the light: It was a little too "white" for my taste, but it was pretty good even light and the brightness was comparable to the 65w incandescent flood that it replaced -- and much better than flickery CFLs that I have tried. On the other hand, you'll note I say "was" because it lasted only about 5 weeks... not 22.8 years as it says on the packaging. In hindsight, the "green consumer" in me wonders: Even if it uses less energy to operate than an incandescent bulb, there is a lot of plastic and aluminum (?) -- it's HEAVY -- and there's all of the circuitry inside to manage the LEDs... so I wonder if the carbon saved from its use isn't more negatively offset by its manufacturing. I think I'll stick with incandescent until the LEDs prove to last significantly longer, especially at that price. Perhaps another manufacturer has one that will last longer? Incidentally, mine was used with a non-dimming one-way light switch in a house with recent new electrical wiring/circuits, in a new non-sealed light fixture.... where one would expect it to last a long time. The miser in me suggests holding off until the price comes down and they prove to last as long as they claim. The green consumer in me suggests comparing the carbon footprint of the manufacturing process... not just the day-to-day energy consumed. Does anyone know of any studies that compare the environmental impact of the manufacturing process of different types of "green" bulbs?

See 1 answered question