4.0 out of 5 stars How to Fix Audio/Video Problems
I agree with many of the other reviewers that this is a solid TV for the price.

Published on January 17, 2010 by Sean J Biehle

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Warranty possible
Published on December 1, 2009 by RockClimber

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Fix Audio/Video Problems, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I agree with many of the other reviewers that this is a solid TV for the price.

The sound and picture issues appear to be associated with the version of the firmware that ships with the product. You can upgrade the firmware rather easily by downloading the update (42pfl3704d_f7_fus_aen.zip) from the Philips Support site ([...]), loading the appropriate version to a USB drive, unplugging your TV and then plugging the USB drive into the available port on the side of the TV. When you plug the TV back in and power it on, the firmware will upgrade automatically.

Direct link: [...]

One final note, I tried to copy this firmware from a Mac to a USB drive and the TV would not recognize it. I advise to download the firmware to a PC and then copy to your USB.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Warranty possible, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
We bought the tv in January and have had problems ever since. Without warning the sound instantly goes to a blaring static sound. No voice or other sounds, just horrible static. Picture remains fine. We called Philips and they said we could trade our new tv for a "refurbished" unit. OR we could get it serviced if we sent it to Bartlesville, OK (no service in OKC or Tulsa) or Denver, CO. What good is a 1 yr warranty if there is no place to do warranty work or they will only send you someone else's headache. Will do all I can to prevent others from getting ripped off by Philips.

2.0 out of 5 stars Service Issues Override Anything Else, November 1, 2009
K. C. McInnis (Shreveport, Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
The same weekend I received my TV, it broke for the first time. It would only display the Philips logo and never an actual picture. After talking to their service center, it was going to take weeks to fix the problem. Then, a couple of days later as I was deciding whether to return the TV or have it repaired, it worked again. The same problem came up every few weeks and would take an hour or so of reset before working properly.

Then, a couple of months after I bought it, the picture tube went out.

When it worked, the picture and sound was fine, but what good is a TV that breaks a few days or months after you buy it?

Nothing could convince me to buy another Philips product based on my experience. I bought this TV based in part on the good reviews here, but I was very disappointed with my purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Greatest HDTV in it's Price Range!!, May 8, 2009
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
After doing alot of searching for a HDTV, I choose this model and brand.

I orginally had purchased a Vizio 42inch 1080 HDTV for 699$, I then seen this tv at Target for the exact same size, most of the same specs, but some better!!!

I hooked up the Phillips HDTV, and I must say it is EXCELLENT! The picture is much clearer, the design is more stylish, remote control doesn't feel cheap or look cheap compared to most tv's in it's price range.

UPDATE - 3 years later the tv has stopped working. It won't power on, and only makes a buzzing noise, it. Was gear while it lated. Maybe I should have kept the Vizio, because at the time Phillips was known as a better tv brand, but as of today Vizio is ranked with the bigger brands such as Sony, Lg, Panasonic, Samsung and etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV - Found Remote Code That Works, May 21, 2009
Anya (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
This television's picture is crisp and bright, and the sound is clear. Against the competition currently out there, I'd say this a great buy for your money.

For anyone experiencing problems programming their cable remote to work with this television, try placing a 1 before code 0054, meaning you should enter "10054". After extensive searching, this was the only code that actually worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just an all around great tv!, August 7, 2009
D. Centers (Zeeland, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I purchased my tv about four weeks ago and love it! I had no troubles setting it up and customizing it. The picture is far better than I had anticipated and the sound is pretty good. Of course, when I run it through my surround sound system it's like sitting at the movies. I love this tv!! I only paid $750 for it making it one of the best buys of my life. If you want to enjoy an excellent television that is simple to use, this is it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor customer service and warranty, January 27, 2010
Roger L. Lloyd (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I have been waiting six weeks for a resolution from the warranty department at philips. They have never called me back once. Every time I call its another 2 to 5 business days to resolve the case. Finally received a resolution today and they offered to give me 1/2 of the orginal purchase price. Awful company. Bad Service. Poor customer relations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in less than 24 hours!!!, March 4, 2010
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
Bought this TV, set it up without many problems and watched for 1 hour. Turned it on the next morning and watched for 1 hour, then tried to turn it on for a third time and there was NO PICTURE OR SOUND!! There were only whitish/gray lines on the screen... absolutely no picture no matter what we tried. It's hard to believe a TV like this would die in less than one day. Will return it and will NEVER BUY ANOTHER PHILIPS AGAIN!!! Back to Sony, where we know we're getting a quality television.

1.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Ports Fail, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
Two out of 3 HDMI ports failed in the first week of ownership. I installed firmware update, and they worked for another week. Then, mysteriously, both failed again. Overall, this TV is not worth the hassle. I am going to return to the store ASAP and get a quality product. This is the worst consumer electronics product I have ever purchased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works for 2 years then black screen, February 14, 2010
This review is from: Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
"If you purchase Philips tv's, you'll be sorry. They last 2 years then you get a black screen. Philips will claim that there's no issues with their tv's but if you google "problems with Philips tv's", you'll see all the problems with them after 2 years. I spent $1100. on a 42" LCD and it lasted 2 years. They won't help me and to have a repair service look at it, it's $350.00 and they state that it will happen again. Wasted money that I can't afford. Don't say you haven't been warned."

Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV