4.0 out of 5 stars Solid shaver
My family jokes that I have spent a lifetime in search of two perfect things: headphones and electric shavers. I've tried just about every brand for each, but I'm not there yet.

Still, this little Norelco is a pretty darn good shaver. I've had it for about a week now and am quite pleased.

PROS:
It is light and quiet.
It delivers a very...
Published 9 months ago by Stanley Hauer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Basic, No Frills Electric Razor
I was able to choose this razor to review as part of the Amazon Vine Program.

I've been using a Philips Norelco Electric Razor for several years now, and have always been satisfied with them. I found this electric razor to be somewhat disappointing.

Published 9 months ago by M. Lafferman

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid shaver, June 28, 2013
Stanley Hauer (Hattiesburg, MS USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6948XL/41 Rechargeable Cordless Razor (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

PROS:
It is light and quiet.
It delivers a very close, comfortable shave with no razor burn.
It shaves the upper part of my lip, close to the nose; that's something I've been having a problem with.
It seems to hold a charge quite well.
The trimmer is full-sized, not the little half-inch thing so common nowadays.
The trimmer is a pop-up device, not a separate razor head that you have to change, as was the case with my previous Norelco.

CONS:
It can't be cleaned with water, only dry-brushed.
There's no stand, such as Norelco often provides.
There's no warning light for when the battery is low.

All in all, I'm pleased with this little machine. And goodness knows, the price is right. Yet price is not the best gauge for the quality of an electric razor--the super-expensive but under-performing Braun shows that. I would recommend this Norelco to those searching for a reasonably priced but effective shaver. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, Shaves Well, Quiet, July 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an entry-level razor that shaves well, is light, quiet, and easy to use. I've been using Norelco for decades and this one is complimenting my 5825XL that I've had for about 15 years. This razor (the 6948) feels a bit cheap; both light and plasticy, compared to my old razor. It is more round and less contoured, so the fit in the hand isn't as natural. It isn't a big deal, but don't expect this to feel as nice as higher end Norelcos. This isn't "Father's day" or "graduation gift" quality.

There are two issues I have with Norelco: One is the batteries. On my unit I've had to replace the rechargeable battery (NiCAD) at least three times using a soldering iron and replacement batteries from Radio Shack. The battery on this model is a better one (Nickel Metal Hydride, or NiMH) and I hope it lasts. But the instructions are very clear that you cannot use it only corded and you shouldn't drain it all the way often and you shouldn't charge for more than 8 hours (or less than 8 hours). So this appears to still be a bit finicky. I don't want to remember about my razor; can't the electronics monitor things and just turn it off or use the battery when it needs to be used? Do I have to remember to plug it in at night and unplug in the morning?

The other thing that bugs me is their recommendation to change the blades every year. I certainly go two or three years without replacing blades and I've had very few problems. If I go too long the blades do begin to cause skin irriation, but the once a year is a very conservative estimate. Perhaps I have a lighter beard than most.

If you search for Norelco razors you'll see that their main line up consists of the 6945, PT720, PT730, AT810, and AT830. The 6948 (the razor being reviewed) is not very prominent. Go to the Amazon listing for the 6945 and scroll to the bottom for a comparison of Norelco razors and you won't find the 6948.

The 6945 has a Lithium Ion battery but doesn't have a pop-up trimmer. It is my understanding that the Li-Ion battery is the more advanced technology and less likely to memory and other issues. However a trimmer is also important, so both of these razors are a bit of a compromise.

Despite it being double the price, I think the PT730 is worth a strong consideration for the following reasons:
- The shaving head quality is two levels above that of the 6945/8. The PT730 blade is "duel precision cut" and the "Super Lift & Cut System". I know these are mostly marketing terms, but there does appear to be real physical changes to the blade and it is nice to know you have the one used on the higher end devices.
- It has a trimmer and the Li-Ion battery (no compromise)
- The blade is easier to clean as you can run water through it.
- The quick charge feature is nice; if your razor is dead and you shave on the go, you can charge it for 3-minutes and get one shave out of it.

The only downside is price, but it may not be that drastic a difference in the long run. Although the Amazon listing for the PT730 says to change the heads every year , the instructions at Phlips-Norelco site say "New! 24 months" for a change for the PT7XX series (and one year for the 69XX series). If you go by this, the razors will cost about the same over a two year period since the replacement heads cost about the same as the difference in cost for the razors. (The replacement blades for the PT730 are only five dollars more than for the 69XX series.)

In summary, this is a very good simple razor at an excellent price and is a very good value. You might wish to check out a higher end model if this is your primary razor and plan to have it for several years.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Basic, No Frills Electric Razor, June 26, 2013
M. Lafferman (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was able to choose this razor to review as part of the Amazon Vine Program.

It does come with a 45 day money back guarantee, and a card to register your razor, which will extend your warranty from 2 years to 2 and a half years.

Their Flex and Float System, which they say is preferred by 80%, Iam not sure what that is based on.

You will need to charge or recharge this razor for 8 hours to have a full charge. What I don't understand is, even tho I let this razor charge for a minimum of 8 hours, the razor remained a steady green light, instead of blinking to let me know that it was fully charged, which is what my other Philips Norelco electric razor does when it is fully charged, the light goes from a steady green light to a blinking green light when plugged in and charging, to let me know that my razor is fully charged. I did check on it from time to time, but the green light never changed, it just remained steady green.

On an 8 hour charge they say that should last you about 35 minutes. You can use this razor corded, but they do say it will cut down on the battery life.

You CANNOT wash the razor head under running water to clean it, and the cord is one of those curly type cords, so that it does not stretch very far. When I went to clean the razor head, the part at the base of the razor head which normally when you press on it the head flips back, this razor, it just makes the head come completely off.

There is a pop up trimmer on the back of the razor to use on sideburns, moustache, or on the back of your neck. They do recommend that you replace the shaving head every 12 months.

It does come with a cleaning brush and protective cap. Shaving wise it does ok, nothing special. You also can not stand it up on it's base, you have to lay it down to charge it or to store this razor.

Personally I would spend a little more and purchase a better quality razor, but if limited money is an issue for you and you do need an electric razor, this one might work out ok for you, but I expect better from Philips Norelco in any of their price ranges!

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't wash it, June 25, 2013
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Buy the Philips Norelco 7310 Men's Shaving System or Philips Norelco PT730 Powertouch Electric Razor instead so you can wash it.

I generally prefer Norelco's rotary electric shavers over the screen style electric shavers, so for me the tricky part is navigating the model lineup. Navigating the model lineup is insanely hard

The 6948 is as far as I can tell identical to the 6945. It looks the same, has the same heads, has the same listed features. Amazon even says on the 6945 page that the 6948 is the newer replacement for the 6945. Ignore any XL or /number designators as they don't have meaning. A 6948, 6948XL, 6948XL/41 are all exactly the same.

I used to recommend the 7310 over the 6945 as they were the same price on Amazon and had the same basic functions but the 7310 could be washed under a faucet. Shavers get pretty gross if you can't wash the head under a faucet and have to try to use a brush. With a brush you end up with residual bits of hair and skin that get all over whevever you store the razor. To me the lack of a washable feature makes the 6945 and 6948 unacceptable.

The 7310 page now says the newer model is the PT720. However, the PT720 doesn't have a pop-up trimmer like the 7310 did, so really the PT730 is the replacement. Only they raised the price for no good reason. But for the time being you can buy the 7310 and it is less expensive. My suggestion is to look at those two models (7310 and PT730) and buy whichever is cheaper at the time of purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, basic razor, like the Norelco I've used for decades., November 13, 2013
Somewhere on Amazon, in reply to a review or question, I stated that I've been satisfied with my ancient Norelco model 705RL but it was finally seeming kinda dull, and I'd simply like a new one just like it. This is it, except it's also cordless.

I wasn't thrilled with everything being cordless -- suppose it runs out, I need a shave, and forgot to charge it? The good news is that this will also operate by using the cord. The bad news is that if you do that constantly, the battery life (as the instructions state) will be diminished. The good news is that if you use the cord only in emergencies, my guess is that any effect will be negligible.

It has a pop-up trimmer. It's much, much more effective than the trimmer on my old Norelco -- that's probably just because of the old one's age (it used to work well). I also bought Norelco's basic groomer, but doubt I'll use it. The shaver's trimmer seems, while very effective, less aggressive than the groomer's (which also sounds louder, like a barber's trimmer). Which means if you're trimming a beard, the shaver allows a little margin for error.

The shaver's sound is nicely muted, and compared to my old one, mechanically the old one sounds like Model T.

I sometimes skip a day or three before shaving. Using a pre-shave lotion, this shaver has no problem catching me up. And if I let it go too long, I just start by using the pop-up trimmer, then finish up with this shaver.

Although this shaver is not immersible, the blade head comes off completely (press a button and it lifts right off). I used to do this with my old shaver, and either slid out the blades and immersed the parts in alcohol, or simply held the assembly under the faucet. (Put a strainer over the drain!) Once dry, reassemble. This model's instructions don't say you can do this (or not), but I see no reason why an a occasional brush-out and rinse like this won't keep it clean, efficient, and sanitary.

There's a 45-day Money-back guarantee, mainly aimed at former razor users but apparently valid for any user. (You pay to ship insured to them.)

Instructions state to charge it for a full 8 hours, for 35 minutes' use. I don't use it every day, but the first charge has held okay for more than a week. Instructions state: "Battery performance is best if you recharge only when the batteries are (almost) completely empty. ... Continuously recharging or continuously using as a corded razor will reduce life of batteries. You may also shave using the power cord provided. This razor will not recharge while being used corded. Charging and recharging requires a full 8 hours. If razor has not been used for at least 1 month, razor must be recharged for a full 8 hours. ... Connect the charging plug into any 100V to 240V AC outlet. Use only the the power cord provided." Outside North America, a plug adapter may be needed. The cord is a simple coiled cord (no power brick) that stretches comfortably from 18" to about 36". There is no low-charge or full-charge light, so make note of what time you plugged it in.

Register your purchase online and you'll get an additional 6 months on the 2-year warranty.

No doubt Norelco's more expensive models are cooler, and maybe they even shave better or something. But this does the job for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Razor, Nice Pop-Up Trimmer, June 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I gave this to my husband to try. He liked it. It gives a pretty close shave and was easy to use. The pop-up trimmer is a nice added touch and he said he wished all electric razors came with that feature. It came charged, and after using it twice he still has not had to recharge it yet. It's lightweight and the top comes off easy for cleaning. He had no complaints and is very pleased with this razor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Classic Electric Razor, June 30, 2013
T.M. Reader (Midwest, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the years I've owned many brands and styles of electric razors, both best selling an lesser known brands. I've also tried non-electric shaving - it's not for me. Over this time, I was always coming back to the simple Norelco rotary triple head, and at each return it was a pleasure to rediscover the comfortable efficiency of the Norelco.

This latest Model 6948XL/41 offers nothing really different from the old tried and true models of years past. That's why I love it. Comfortable close shave. A superior pop-up trimmer compared to most other brands. And an honest 30+ minutes of run time on a charged battery. Uses an NiMH type internal battery by the way (superior to NiCad). Nominal 8 hour charge time. Selectable for 120V or 240V (Europe) power source.

Not for wet use, which fits my preference of a dry shave in front of a mirror. Also, if you don't ming using a cord on EVERY shave, you'll find that the corded only model (not this one) is cheaper and much lighter than this one.

Runs cordless (of course) or with the cord plugged in. Comes with cord (of course), protective cover for head (which I never use but maybe I should) and a cleaning brush (which I never use but maybe I should . . . I just open it up and tap it and shake it out over the floor of the shower prior to showering). Very easy to clean - the head assembly pops open at the touch of a button.

Interestingly, when you go to purchase replacement heads (recommended annually), you'll find that the cost of the replacement heads is not much less than the cost of the whole razor. In fact one year at Wal-Mart, I found it was cheaper to buy a new corded model and take the heads off of that, than to buy packaged replacement heads.

Manufacturer provides a two year warranty, but my experience is that these things seem to never wear out.

A great razor. Been around forever and hasn't really ever been improved on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not last 2 wks, November 11, 2013
When it arrived, I charged it for 8 hrs. I used it after 2 wks for 10-12 hrs as I forgot about it (I am 70 yrs old). At the end of that time it was dead, and would not recharge. I guess it does not have overcharge protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Remington ever stand a chance?, June 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NORELCO RECHARGABLE CORDLESS/CORDED RAZOR, 6948XL/41 is a fine example of Norelco's latest iteration of its old classic. I find the razor to be typical of Norelco, with the shave I'd expect. This can be used either corded or cordless. It's easy enough to clean but I will not recommend washing it under running water. This is great to have in the office, at the club or even in your car. (No, there's no plug to plug it into your cigarette lighter, but a helpful colleague tells me I can buy an adapter, see comments posted.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Spotty at best. And painful., January 12, 2014
Devin Smith (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This thing misses hairs more often than not. Its so unpredictable that I end up looking like i have leopard spots even when going over the same areas over and over. I ended up using a straight razor to shave the damage this thing did to my face.

It HURTS on longer hairs. It yanks on them rather than clipping them off.

An absolute return.

The directions for this thing say "stick with it" even if you don't get the expected results. No thanks.

ARRAY(0xa194a234)