Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on July 16, 2015
This is a pretty good entry level electric shaver. I recently got one for my little brother to use, and it's really working well for him. I looked through a bunch of the reviews on Amazon to find one that seemed like it was simple, easy to use, and not too expensive...after all, a first shaver shouldn't be too nice. It's a really light and quiet shaver, but it works because although my brother is only teenager, he has a serious beard.

Anyway, I tried this out for him and it really worked, but he actually put me on to a new way to use my own, nicer shaver. Basically, he found on the internet that using tea tree oil helps with razor bumps, keeping your razor from going dull, and an aftershave. I never actually used the stuff before I had only smelled a shampoo that my ex-girlfriend had with it, and it smelled okay, not too girly.

We both put it to the test one night last weekend and put a couple of drops of the brand my mother keeps at home TreeActiv+ Tea Tree Oil Acne Solution for Advanced Acne Treatment - All Natural Acne Spot Treatment - Blemishes Gone or Your Money Back! It actually worked. We both got really smooth shaves with it, and it seemed to be really good as a disinfecting aftershave (with only a couple of drops) after we were finished. I particularly noticed that the next morning, my razor bumps were far and few between. Also, my sister gave me her TreeActiv Anti Acne & Rosacea Treatment Sulfur Mask Plus Rhassoul, Bentonite Clay Mask with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera - Refreshing Lemon Scent (1 Jar) to use as an exfoliator, and that really helped with the razor bumps too. Additionally, I started cleaning my razor with it, and it seems like it's helping keep it in shape. I'm so happy that I'm not getting nearly as many razor bumps (they are so painful) and I'm really satisfied with the razor as a gift. I recommend it.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My family jokes that I have spent a lifetime in search of two perfect things: headphones and electric shavers. I've tried just about every brand for each, but I'm not there yet.

Still, this little Norelco is a pretty darn good shaver. I've had it for about a week now and am quite pleased.

PROS:
It is light and quiet.
It delivers a very close, comfortable shave with no razor burn.
It shaves the upper part of my lip, close to the nose; that's something I've been having a problem with.
It seems to hold a charge quite well.
The trimmer is full-sized, not the little half-inch thing so common nowadays.
The trimmer is a pop-up device, not a separate razor head that you have to change, as was the case with my previous Norelco.

CONS:
It can't be cleaned with water, only dry-brushed.
There's no stand, such as Norelco often provides.
There's no warning light for when the battery is low.

All in all, I'm pleased with this little machine. And goodness knows, the price is right. Yet price is not the best gauge for the quality of an electric razor--the super-expensive but under-performing Braun shows that. I would recommend this Norelco to those searching for a reasonably priced but effective shaver. Enjoy!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an entry-level razor that shaves well, is light, quiet, and easy to use. I've been using Norelco for decades and this one is complimenting my 5825XL that I've had for about 15 years. This razor (the 6948) feels a bit cheap; both light and plasticy, compared to my old razor. It is more round and less contoured, so the fit in the hand isn't as natural. It isn't a big deal, but don't expect this to feel as nice as higher end Norelcos. This isn't "Father's day" or "graduation gift" quality.

There are two issues I have with Norelco: One is the batteries. On my unit I've had to replace the rechargeable battery (NiCAD) at least three times using a soldering iron and replacement batteries from Radio Shack. The battery on this model is a better one (Nickel Metal Hydride, or NiMH) and I hope it lasts. But the instructions are very clear that you cannot use it only corded and you shouldn't drain it all the way often and you shouldn't charge for more than 8 hours (or less than 8 hours). So this appears to still be a bit finicky. I don't want to remember about my razor; can't the electronics monitor things and just turn it off or use the battery when it needs to be used? Do I have to remember to plug it in at night and unplug in the morning?

The other thing that bugs me is their recommendation to change the blades every year. I certainly go two or three years without replacing blades and I've had very few problems. If I go too long the blades do begin to cause skin irriation, but the once a year is a very conservative estimate. Perhaps I have a lighter beard than most.

If you search for Norelco razors you'll see that their main line up consists of the 6945, PT720, PT730, AT810, and AT830. The 6948 (the razor being reviewed) is not very prominent. Go to the Amazon listing for the 6945 and scroll to the bottom for a comparison of Norelco razors and you won't find the 6948.

The 6945 has a Lithium Ion battery but doesn't have a pop-up trimmer. It is my understanding that the Li-Ion battery is the more advanced technology and less likely to memory and other issues. However a trimmer is also important, so both of these razors are a bit of a compromise.

Despite it being double the price, I think the PT730 is worth a strong consideration for the following reasons:
- The shaving head quality is two levels above that of the 6945/8. The PT730 blade is "duel precision cut" and the "Super Lift & Cut System". I know these are mostly marketing terms, but there does appear to be real physical changes to the blade and it is nice to know you have the one used on the higher end devices.
- It has a trimmer and the Li-Ion battery (no compromise)
- The blade is easier to clean as you can run water through it.
- The quick charge feature is nice; if your razor is dead and you shave on the go, you can charge it for 3-minutes and get one shave out of it.

The only downside is price, but it may not be that drastic a difference in the long run. Although the Amazon listing for the PT730 says to change the heads every year , the instructions at Phlips-Norelco site say "New! 24 months" for a change for the PT7XX series (and one year for the 69XX series). If you go by this, the razors will cost about the same over a two year period since the replacement heads cost about the same as the difference in cost for the razors. (The replacement blades for the PT730 are only five dollars more than for the 69XX series.)

In summary, this is a very good simple razor at an excellent price and is a very good value. You might wish to check out a higher end model if this is your primary razor and plan to have it for several years.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was able to choose this razor to review as part of the Amazon Vine Program.

I've been using a Philips Norelco Electric Razor for several years now, and have always been satisfied with them. I found this electric razor to be somewhat disappointing.

It does come with a 45 day money back guarantee, and a card to register your razor, which will extend your warranty from 2 years to 2 and a half years.

Their Flex and Float System, which they say is preferred by 80%, Iam not sure what that is based on.

You will need to charge or recharge this razor for 8 hours to have a full charge. What I don't understand is, even tho I let this razor charge for a minimum of 8 hours, the razor remained a steady green light, instead of blinking to let me know that it was fully charged, which is what my other Philips Norelco electric razor does when it is fully charged, the light goes from a steady green light to a blinking green light when plugged in and charging, to let me know that my razor is fully charged. I did check on it from time to time, but the green light never changed, it just remained steady green.

On an 8 hour charge they say that should last you about 35 minutes. You can use this razor corded, but they do say it will cut down on the battery life.

You CANNOT wash the razor head under running water to clean it, and the cord is one of those curly type cords, so that it does not stretch very far. When I went to clean the razor head, the part at the base of the razor head which normally when you press on it the head flips back, this razor, it just makes the head come completely off.

There is a pop up trimmer on the back of the razor to use on sideburns, moustache, or on the back of your neck. They do recommend that you replace the shaving head every 12 months.

It does come with a cleaning brush and protective cap. Shaving wise it does ok, nothing special. You also can not stand it up on it's base, you have to lay it down to charge it or to store this razor.

Personally I would spend a little more and purchase a better quality razor, but if limited money is an issue for you and you do need an electric razor, this one might work out ok for you, but I expect better from Philips Norelco in any of their price ranges!
on July 7, 2014
I really like this razor. I will not pay what to me are outrageous prices for electric rotary razor. The $29.00 cost is well worth it.
on March 5, 2014
Very poor shave.

Needed an electric razor for 3 weeks so did not want to spend a lot of money, Did not get a close shave.

Would not recommend this model to anyone,
on July 21, 2015
Had this a month or two. Easy to take head off shaver to discard of shavings/hair. Very smooth feel. Have not gotten a single cut from the shaves with this product. Very quiet too. Not your typical lawnmower sounding weed whacker of a shaver.

It is quite affordable, which gives me the thought that this wont last too long before it dies, but I got it for around 30 bucks, and I wouldn't mind having to replace it every year or so for that price.
on July 21, 2015
I come from China heilongjiang province
Chinese friends to see this is our fate, my wechat is 4073749
review image
on January 26, 2014
When I first received the shaver, I noticed that it made an operating noise that was much lower in volume compared to my much higher end shaver that cost 15X more than this one. No problem I said, I got this on the cheap solely for a backup shaver should my primary one die on me.

No way, this shaver will butcher your face and it can't get the hard to reach areas, like around the lower jaw/upper neck areas. You had to go through multiple passes on the same area just to get a good trim, I'm all for a good deal just like the next guy, but there's no way I can justify to butcher my face to cause all that pain and suffering for a "deal" that's not even worth it. Spend the extra money for a better model, your face and sanity will thank you for it.
on July 27, 2015
Great product, I have had a beard for years and recently shaved for professional reasons and hate razor shaving daily. I do have a heavy and corse ginger beard so I wasn't expecting this shaver to do as well as it does.