Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on February 5, 2014
Products tested:
Philips AEA2000/37 Bluetooth Hi-Fi Adapter ($24)
Harman Kardon BTA-10 External Bluetooth Adapter ($60)
HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System ($28)
Black Rx Bluetooth Receiver Conversion Wires ($20)

First they are all very similar to me. I have a home stereo Harman Kardon amplifier and 2 JBL column speakers. My system cost me $1800, so it's not professional grade but it's not junk either. Also I'm 35 and still have good hearing capabilities :) My fiancee and I couldn't tell the difference between all of the receivers in term of sound quality. We tested them for 1h~2h with different music on and the difference wasn't flagrant.

I kept the philips. Why? here are the reasons:

Range:
The range was the best with the Philips, but not by a lot! I think this is because these devices must fit the bluetooth norms. In other words if you're looking for a 100 yard range bluetooth device you shouldn't be able to find it. I went upstairs, in the basement, all the way to the end of the garage with my phone in my pocket. They all behaved pretty much the same EXCEPT the cheapest one that had a terrible range (5 yards) and keep breaking up (could be a bad unit...).

Connectivity:
They all behaved in a very similar way here too. All 4 easy to install and hook up to my phone or my computer. No problem with this.

Once the sound quality, the connectivity and the range were tested there were still 3 candidates left. I chose the philips for the price, the look and the brand name. I would have picked the Harman Kardon for their reputation with the quality of their product but I prefer to save $35 for another device that works exactly the same. Also with the philips, after a while, you do need to push the button to activate it then your phone will hook up to it right away. You may not have to do that with the HomeSpot or the Harman Kardon but I forgot to verify this.

Hope that helps!
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2014
The sound quality is fine. To my ear, it sounds no different than when we used to use a headphone jack to RCA cable on the same stereo system. The distance is much farther than I had expected. I can leave the room and never lose connection. The unit itself feels like decent quality, especially at this price point. I have no complaints what-so-ever. It exceeds my expectations.
on July 28, 2015
Just as well that it has been discontinued. It took me a while to find out why this device was not working correctly when I tried to play FLAC formatted ripped CD's, i.e. Redbook CD's, which are 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. When I tried to play them from my PC computer whose sound card and the media player (foobar) support WASAPI, I would get an error that 44.1 kHz 16 bit was not supported. What? That seemed crazy. Well, I finally looked at specs that Bluetooth devices are supposed to follow that I found on the web (A2DP_spec_v10.pdf). On page 20 of that document it says that the Bluetooth receiver, the "SNK" is supposed to support 48 AND 44.1 kHz. The PhillipsBT is the SNK. All it took to prove this device does not support 44.1 kHz was to set foobar to re-sample the signal, i.e. convert it from 44.1 to 48 kHz. Bingo, then it worked. The problem is that the computer I devote to AV is an older netbook and the overhead needed to do the conversion was too much for it, causing the music to stutter, i.e. not play smoothly. Why WASAPI? With it you can dedicate a Bluetooth device to the music and any other sounds the computer makes can be played through the default audio device. In my case I have the built-in Realtek High Def Audio device that I set as default and the PhillipsBT device that foobar sends to it.
on March 14, 2014
altho Amazon pictures this device with a Y-cable in the "Frequently Bought Together" section... you don't need to buy an additional cable. It comes with all you need.

Where have I been all my life not having bluetooth connectivity to my home stereo? I have all my music content in my phone, so the phone naturally becomes the controller (song & volume) for my music at home.

Why was this model discontinued ? Maybe changed to Bluetooth 3.0, but this works just fine and cheaper than state-of-the-art. Very happy with this product !!
on December 1, 2014
It took me a minute to get this hooked up properly because there is one last step you have to take that isn't made explicit in the instructions (maybe because it varies by computer OS), so I wanted to post it here in case it helps someone. I was trying to use it to stream from my PC to my stereo. I hooked it up to an unused input on my receiver, figured out how to get it recognized as a bluetooth device by my PC - then WHAT? Well, the missing step is go into your Control Panel, go into sound, look at your list of playback devices, and choose the Philips Bluetooth entry as your 'default' playback device. Bingo, instant fantastic sound. When you're done, just set the default playback device back to whatever you want it to be when not streaming to your stereo. Great little gadget and the signal quality was fine for the size of my small house, the computer could be upstairs streaming to the stereo downstairs.
on September 18, 2014
The adapter works very well. It took me a little bit of time to figure out how to get it to work. However it is very simple to connect. There are 2 ways. Both set of connectors are included. Connect the 3mm jack to the line out & the other ends are 2 RCA jacks. Connect the Red one to the right channel & the white one to the left channel. I have a Mac PC & use ITunes. Turn on your blue tooth connection on your PC. Then set your stereo receiver to aux. Plug in the adapter. I started playing my ITunes on my pc speakers. Next, either press on the blue light or just let it blink. Once it connects with your PC, it will beep. You can now look on your pc blue tooth connection. It should say the adapter is identified. Click connect to the adapter. Your PC speakers will disconnect & your music will now be coming from your stereo. I did not connect the adapter using the other connector but I am sure it is just as easy. When I am done listening, I shut the blue tooth connection off on my PC. I unplug my adapter hooked up to the stereo. When reconnecting just plug in the adapter & turn on your blue tooth connection on the PC However, do not press on the blue light on the adapter. If you do, you will loose the connection & will have to reconnect the device. I think it was worth the price. I also tried it on another surround system I have & it worked fine.
on March 14, 2014
It often seems that when a company gets it right, they discontinue that product, as Phillips has done with this Bluetooth receiver. Anyway, if you find one to buy, buy it. It is one of the best rated on the market and at the right price. It is strictly plug and play. When you power it up a blue led flashed on the top indicating it is ready to pair with your device. You set your device to search, it finds the Phillips and pairs with it. That is it. I paired three devices in less than five minutes and had music playing through it to a Lepai amp in seconds.There is a pair of RCA and a 1/8" phone output jack on the unit. There is also a power input jack. There is no off on switch. If you want to clear its memory of the up to 7 devices you hold down the blue button on the top for 2 seconds. Walked all over the house without loosing connection. I hope whatever they have replacing this is as good. And I hope it lasts. In the past many of the Phillips device I have had fail after about a year. We will see.
on May 20, 2015
Works well, for the most part; requires occasional re-pairing, which is annoying but not tragedy. At the price, no complaint on that front: It lets me play my computer's sound through a stereo system that long predates Bluetooth.

I do have a complaint about the power, though -- I wish it was a standard Micro-USB port, rather than a barrel plug. Minor flaw, in a device I otherwise am very happy with.
on March 4, 2014
I like this model specifically for the combination of mini jacks AND RCA jacks available on the rear of the device. I prefer using the RCA jack for better connection and sound going into my receiver. I wish it came with the option for battery, I would mount it to my bike.
I wanted to be able to connect my laptop (HP ENVY dv7), my iPad mini, and my iPad Air to my stereo system. Looking over the options, I thought that this might be a good choice so I purchased it. Here is what I liked:

1. It has a very nice design.

Here is what I did not like:

This unit would pair up with all of my devices, but it would not play music or any sounds worth a darn. It was always had a lot of static and the sound would rise and fall while changing tones. It did not seem to matter how close or far from the device I tried to use it.

I guess there was a reason why this device was discontinued. I would NOT recommend buying this unit.