on July 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a new mommy who has been unable to breastfeed, bottles are essential in my life. I had been sterilizing everything by boiling it on the stove, but it was a pain in the behind to do all the time. I also have the Playtex Drop-In system and was curious about trying the more traditional bottle that doesn't require me to have inserts on hand.

Included in the set:

1. Philips AVENT Express II Microwave Steam Sterilizer - best part of the set. It is easy to use and sterilizes everything quickly. I don't have to deal with a pot of boiling water and waiting for it to boil. Two minutes in the microwave and it is done. It fits everything I need (check out the instructions for how to arrange lots of stuff in a certain order).

2. Philips AVENT 4 Ounce BPA Free Bottles, 3 Pack The bottles include both UK and US fl ounces as well as ml lines. The bottles will hold 125 ml, which is just over 4 ounces. I used these with my baby and he does really well with them. He doesn't get lots of air and they are easy for him to latch on to. I pace bottle feed, so he sits up and I hold the bottle parallel to the floor, and these aren't perfect for it since I have to lean him back or the bottle up to keep from too much air getting in his mouth. I prefer the Playtex Drop-Ins for paced bottle feeding. I haven't had any leaks with them.

3. Philips AVENT BPA Free Bottle, 9 Ounce, Dual Pack My baby is still only taking 4 ounces in a feeding, so I haven't used these yet, but I see them as the same as the 4 ounce bottles. They have the stage 2 nipples, so they flow faster for an older baby.

4. Philips AVENT BPA Free Translucent Pacifier, 0-3 Months, Clear I already owned some of these pacifiers before I got this set. My baby likes these, but actually prefers NUKs. I really like these because they come with a cover, so when not in use they can easily be tossed in the diaper bag or anywhere and not get dirty. Also, they don't sit directly on baby's face, so he doesn't get the pacifier marks around his mouth.

5. Philips AVENT BPA-Free Bottle Brush A nice brush making it easier to clean the bottles.

6. Philips AVENT Non Spill Soft Spouts, 6 Months One of these is included. It fits directly onto the bottles, so the bottles can be used longer when baby is older.

7. Two Avent Magic Cup Trainer Handles (colors may vary) Goes with the above item to help re-purpose the bottles.

8. Philips AVENT Formula BPA-Free Dispenser/Snack Cup Since I am formula feeding, this is nice to have. The dispenser is actually an insert with 3 compartments. The insert can be removed and used as a snack cup when baby is older. I do find that it is difficult to get all the powder out of the compartments because of the way the the opening is offset from the edge of the compartment. It usually takes a little shaking and shifting to get most all of it out.

Added up the cost of this set is a great deal. For anyone who is planning on using bottles to feed (either with formula or breast milk), this is an excellent set. It is perfect for a shower gift for the new mommy.
on August 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased this set because I needed more bottles, nipples & a sterilizer to add to my Avent collection. I am quite pleased with the overall quality of the Avent products, and this set does not disappoint. My husband and I love the wide bottles because they are easier to clean and you can use them to store & heat other things in (such as baby food). I have not used the included sippy cup as my daughter is not old enough yet, but I like that the Avent bottles convert that way. I have also used the Avent converters for my breast pump so I am able to pump directly into my baby's bottles if needed. The included sterilizer is awesome for sterilizing bottles, pump parts, pacifiers, etc. in just 2 minutes! This would make a great gift for a new mom if she is choosing to use the Avent line. The only downfall is that sometimes the wider 9oz bottles don't fit in a regular bottle warmer. We just use a mini crock pot filled with distilled water to warm them.
on July 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I gave this product to my daughter-in-law who just gave birth in June to our new grandson. I asked her to tell me what she thought of it after she had used it a few times. Here is what she has to say about it: "I tried out the bottle sanitizer. I think it works great. It is quick and easy to use. I was able to put my other bottles and my pump stuff in it as well. It took only two minutes in the microwave. The one thing that would make it better is if it could be used as a drying rack after you sanitize the bottles. I took off the lid and left the bottles over night in the tray. The next day they were still wet and I had to dry them out. It would be nice if they would dry on their own. It will go to good use, especially since we don't have a dishwasher."
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Avent gift set is pretty nice as it comes with enough bottles for one baby as well as the sterlizer, bottle brush, pacifier, and powder container. With my babies, they will only drink from Dr Brown and Avent bottles. Both brands of bottles provide great vents so the baby does not get super gassy.

There are even times when my babies don't even burp after drinking from the Avent bottles. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

1. The 9 oz bottles are a great size which grows with your baby - the bottles have only three parts to wash, the bottle, the cap, the nipple. SOOO much better than the 5 parts to wash for Dr Browns.

2. Venting system is a huge help in preventing excess gas

3. If you're a parent that feels the need to sterilize everything, the sterlizer would be great for you since it only takes 2 minutes

4. I love the powder container and we take it with us in our diaper bag for on the go feedings

5. The set also comes with one Bottle to Cup trainer handle which is perfect for older babies who are transitioning.

6. The bottle brush is good so you don't have to get one if you don't already have one. However, if I were to pick my own bottle brush, it wouldn't be this one. I prefer the normal 360 degree bristle brush.

Cons:

1. The bottles do leak sometimes if you don't put the top on exactly right which can be a pain in the butt and of course you won't know until you shake the bottle or feed your baby. Even if you see that the top is on "correctly" and tight, you might be fooled once you turn it upside down!

2. For me, the sterilizer is silly. I hand wash all my babies' bottles in hot regular soapy water which is enough in my opinion.

3. The 4 oz bottles are not necessary. If the set had only 9 oz bottles, that would be better. Your baby is going to grow out of those 4oz bottles very quickly and then they will be worthless.

Bottom line:
I'd give this set a 3 stars. The only thing I would really use from this set are the following, which makes it not worth the price: The 9oz bottles, the milk powder container, the pacifier, the Bottle to Cup trainer. However, if you want an all inclusive set and would use the sterlizer, this set is for you!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used Avent products in the past with my two older children, I was happy to receive this BPA free feeding and sterilizing essentials set. In addition to having a nice starter collection of bottles and accessories, this set also includes a microwave sterilizer. I was quite happy to use Avent products with my first two babies and I look forward to using them again with our baby on the way. Since I originally used Avent products nearly ten years ago I can see that some improvements have been made regarding a few of the components in this gift set.

The microwave sterilizer has a nice improvement regarding how the lid attaches to the base. On the old model you had to fight with the snap on design to get it to open. It was frustrating and the worst part of an otherwise good sterilizer. The sterilizer in this set has nice hinged latches to secure the lid to the base. This improvement makes opening and closing the unit a snap. The tongs included for handling the freshly sterilized have been modified from the original design, but I would still classify them as useless.

The bottles included in this set are three 4oz bottles with stage 1 newborn flow nipples, and two 9oz bottles with stage 2 slow flow nipples. Also included in the set is a soft spout sippy spout insert (takes the place of the silicone nipple) and trainer handles which can be placed on a 4oz bottle to create a training sippy cup. Having tried the sippy spouts in the past with my children, I can tell you that I don't recommend them. My children had a difficult time getting liquid out of the cup with the Avent spouts. We much preferred the Playtex sippy cups for this stage of feeding. The sippy spout has been redesigned. It is now a two piece set up instead of a three piece design. The overall look of the spout is still that same, it's simply one less piece to clean.

The bottle brush included in this set is my favorite. The brush is durable and will not scratch your bottles like many other bottle brushes on the market will do. With my older daughters I had tried many different bottle brushes and this one was my absolute favorite hands down.

The newborn pacifier in this set is one that neither of my older children ever liked. For some reason Avent pacifiers would not stay in their mouths. The only thing I really liked about Avent pacifiers is the snap on cover that keeps the nipple clean when it is stored in your diaper bag or purse. Since it can take trying a few different brands of pacifiers to find one that your baby likes, it's nice that this one is included in the set.

This set also includes a powdered formula/snack dispenser. If you're using powdered formula, this dispenser has three sections for storing formula. The divider is actually a cup that can be removed from the cup so you can use it as a snack cup later. The opening for the dispenser is small so you could give this to a toddler and he or she would not be able to completely dump the contents in one fell swoop. Overall, the design of this dispenser seems thoughtfully designed.

I'd certainly recommend this essentials gift set as a nice and useful sampling of the Avent line of feeding and sterilizing products. This set would make a very nice shower gift.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very useful and convenient for families with babies. One of the repetitive tasks you have to do is to boil the bottles so it's nice to be able to sterilize them in the microwave instead of having the boil them in a big pot of water.

Pros:
1) This set has a lot of stuff in it and is really great as a gift set because it has all you need. I won't list them here, you can see them in the product description, even has a brush!
2) BPA-free. BPA is Bisphenol A and can affect the body's hormones, you definitely don't want to have this chemical in a baby bottle.
3) Very convenient, I think it almost works best as a travel set because once you sterilize the bottles, they will be kept sterile for 24 hours until you open the lid.
4) Bottle/nipple has anti-colic valve.

Cons:
It's pretty big, you have to have a full size microwave in order to use it and not one of those small ones.

Summary:
A very good all in one kit, and I think best for traveling. It'll make a great gift set, that's for sure.
on October 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
Grrr! Okay, this is a great set in concept. The sterilizer is great and everything is very top quality. However I am beginning to hate these bottles. I breastfeed so I need these to store my precious breastmilk! Getting the tops on these things just right is a big pain in the butt. All the different bottles have tops that I think are interchangeable, but I can never seem to guess what goes with what, some require these rings, but even when I pair everything up with the correct counterpart, I might still get a leak. I could probably separate everything once I figure out for sure what belongs with what, but that would be very difficult as I usually pump at 4am and just grab the first thing I can find, and I don't have a big house with a lot of storage space or anything so the easiest thing for me is to keep them all together on the drying rack.

Basically it's just a pretty set, but I'm wasting a lot of my milk on it. I'd get a new one but $50 is a lot to me. Also the bottle brush is a poor design. Again, pretty & sturdy, but it's difficult making sure the bottom of the bottles are getting cleaned.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This kit contains two large and two small bottles for infants.

I like the fact that it is made from plastics that do not contain BPA (Bisphenol A). I do not deem the microwave sterilizer necessary, as I believe the baby needs to "get used to" our living environment and build up his/her harm resistance gradually.

According to Wikipedia,

"Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects.[27][28][29][30] Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects,[31] and some studies have linked prenatal exposure to later neurological difficulties. Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or under review as a result of new scientific studies.[32][33] A 2011 study that investigated the number of chemicals to which pregnant women in the U.S. are exposed found BPA in 96% of women.[34]

In 2009, The Endocrine Society released a statement expressing concern over current human exposure to BPA.[35]

In 2011, the Food Standards Agency's chief scientist said "the evidence [is] that BPA is rapidly absorbed, detoxified, and eliminated from humans - therefore is not a health concern."

"In September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA as a toxic substance.[2][3] In the European Union and Canada, BPA use is banned in baby bottles.[4]"

As noted above, a study this year found 96% of U.S. women exposed to BPA, which raises the question whether the unborn would be affected by the mother's BPA exposure. Nonetheless, it is prudent to avoid BPA as much as possible, especially for the baby.

When buying foods stored in plastic containers, avoid ones with recycling codes 7 and 3, which may contain BPA.
on March 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
Purchased as a gift for my sisters first pregnancy and she liked it. I wish I would have seen the "natural" set and purchased that instead if the "classic" but other than that I'm happy with the purchase. This kit comes with a lot which is great for a gift and will purchase the Avent bottle warmer in the future for her as well. I would recommend this product.
on July 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was well pleased with this starter kit. With my last baby I was using first years bottles but all the parts of the bottles with the cleaning and all really got to to me. At that time Avent had not yet launched the BPA free bottles. All my girls who had already experienced motherhood would swear by the avent bottles before that. So this time when on having my second baby this little thing came in right in time and when I had an option I knew this was going to be it. The quality of these bottles are the best. Cleaning is a snap. I already had both the microwave and the iQ sterilizer. And hands down prefer the microwave one because of sheer convenience and also because its saves electricity. I dont think keeping the sterilizer warm for extended periods is necessary. Just 2 - 3 mins for a bottle are we are done. Besides the microwave one does not occupy much space. So this is really a great starter kit for new moms.The bottle brush is a thoughtful addition. So are the pacifiers. I am not so much into formula milk but for those that are this also come with a formula dispenser. I think this is a great baby shower gift. Well rounded and complete. I am sticking to mine. Its too good to part with.Love it.