4.0 out of 5 stars a big pro, lots of little cons
I've had my new IQ Duo for 2 weeks now. Previously, I was using an Ameda PY, which I used several years ago for my daughter and began using again for my now 4 month old son. I work full time, so use the pump 3 times a day during the week. I bought the new pump because the motor on my PY was getting a little flaky and I was hoping to get more milk with the Duo since I'd...
Published on December 20, 2005 by W&P Mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly agree with 'a big pro, lots of little cons' review. I prefer a little pro, big cons.
My wife has been sucessful using the pump but generally speaking the pump has numerous idiosyncrasies that you should consider before purchasing it. Had we done more homework we likely would have chosen a different pump. If only you could return a 'personal' item to Babies r Us once you've opened it we would.

My main complaint is that the pump is not very...
Published on April 26, 2006 by J. Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great pump, but lack of accessories is frustrating, February 8, 2008
L. Carlson (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips AVENT Isis iQ Duo Twin Electronic Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I purchased this pump before the birth of my daughter and have been using it for about 6 months. I work full-time for a large company- so I meet a lot of other pumping moms in our lactation room and have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

PROS:
In terms of its basic purpose- pumping breast milk it works quite well. I follow the instructions that came with my pump and start with shallow fast compressions to stimulate let-down and then move to longer deeper compressions to extract a lot of milk quickly. Because I can control the speed, I can get the job done, so to speak, faster than anyone else I have seen in our room. The Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump automatically moves from a fast to slow rhythm, but it does it at its own pace (e.g. fast pace for x pre-programmed number of minutes to slow pace for x pre-programmed number of minutes), so it generally takes longer. Most of the other pumps just pump at one speed e.g the Ameda Purely Yours Breast Electronic Pump. In addition, I have been pumping nearly two months and have not seen a decline in milk production at all- not during the week and not over the duration of those two months. This is atypical from what I have heard from the other mothers, and I attribute it to a good pump.

Finally, I can pump right into the Philips Avent Bottles- which I thought would be a big plus because they are made in England, not China. However, my daughter doesn't really like to drink milk out of these bottles, so it hasn't been the plus that I thought it would be. In addition, for my day care I need to prepare bottles into small serving sizes as they will not save a partially eaten bottle, which means that I am transferring the milk around anyway.

CONS:
There are some real negatives with this pump. First of all, despite another posting on Amazon to the contrary, I was unable to purchase extra horns for my pump. The lactation room that I use does not have a sink, so we are forced to wash our pump parts between pumpings in a bathroom. Because this poses a real risk of fecal contamination, I began sterilizing my parts after washing. This was really stretching out the whole pumping ordeal and more than cancelled the benefit gained by having a highly efficient pump. When I called Avent to inquire about purchasing extra sets of horns so that I could just wash them at home I was told that they do not sell them. They did offer to provide me with one set for free (with a copy of my receipt)- which I accepted, but absolutely refused to sell me another set. I explained the situation and talked to several different people on several occasions and received the same answer. Because you need to pump every 2-3 hours to maintain your supply I needed at least 3 sets for a day. I finally went out and purchased 2 ISIS hand pumps at $[...] each so that I could have the parts (they are exactly the same). However, customers should be aware horns are NOT available for the ISIS IQ Duo, but are available for other pumps such as Medela and Ameda- and for much less than the $[...] a piece I paid.

Secondly, the ISIS pumps are one size fits all. That size happens to fit me just fine, however if you are larger or smaller nippled you might find this pump to be quite uncomfortable- either because of chaffing or because too much boob gets sucked in. With several other pump models you can purchase horns in different sizes. For this reason alone I would be reluctant to purchase this pump- if it doesn't work for you, you are out of luck. This product cannot be returned after opening, but you have no way of knowing if it will work for you until you plunk down $[...]+ If you really want the Isis, you might consider purchasing the manual hand pump first to see how it fits- then you are only out about $[...].

Third, a number of other pumps have handy accessories available- for example Medela makes bags that you can pump directly into. While you might not think that you would use these, a number of women I work with keep the Medela bags in their pump bag to use as back-up if they forget their bottles at home. None of these are available for the ISIS (and the Medela don't fit). I keep extra bottles at work, but they are bulky and then I can't use them for my daughter.

Fourth, the bag is rather poorly conceived. The actually pump unit is a little pod. In order to put the pump away you have to disconnect the tubing, the control wire and the electricity from the pump. Then you tuck the pod into a little compartment in the front of the bag which tends to collapse- you need two hands, while desperately trying to make sure that you don't tip your milk over, deal with the dirty parts, etc. There are pockets for the wires and plug, but again they are cumbersome. You can't even fit the cord for the adapter in its designated slot with out disconnecting it from the adapter. When you pump the next time you have to do the entire process in reverse. In addition, the bag seems a little cheap- the little tags on the zipper that say Avent broke off (a choking hazard?) from my bag during the first week that I used it. Avent mailed me a new one, at no charge, but it has the same exact zippers as the one that broke. I am thinking about just chucking the whole thing and throwing it in a tote-bag. My only concern is that the pump would not be as well protected.

Fifth, a factor that others have mentioned that should not be minimized- the insulated bags have no handles, and the little ice packs are kind of a pain to manage- you are supposed to use 4 per bag and they keep slipping around when you try to load them in. When you are a working mom you just don't want a lot of hassle. I almost wish the ice packs were just built into the bag and you could just chuck the whole thing in the freezer to ready it for the next day. On the plus side, the insulation works really, really well to keep the milk cold.

Finally, while having the control on the horn is handy for easily adjusting the speed, it presumes (and forces) you to have your hands on the pump all the time. This means that I am the only women in the pumping room who can't check email or read books while I pump. I finally figured out a way- that involves crossing my leg, resting the bottles on it and then jamming my boobs against the horns against the table that allows me to somewhat free my hands- however not enough that I could check email, talk on the phone or do the other productive things many other moms are able to do.

SUMMARY
The pump itself works nicely. However, Avent needs to get serious about providing the array of products needed to make this a viable pump for working moms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely buy it again!, September 10, 2007
Okay, I used this pump to help supplement my milk and freeze/store, as well as provide bottles for when I was away from baby. It worked great for me as both a dual pump or single side. (I would nurse one side and pump the other after the nursing session for storage purposes).

Well, baby became very sick w/ a nasty stomach bug at 13 weeks, and had to be hospitalized and then syringe fed for a few days due to vomitting. While at ER in hospital I ended up using the hospital grade Medela pump. I think my Avent ISis IQ totally rocked compared to the hospital grade pump. It took FOREVER. Sent DH home to bring my pump back and my pump time was cut in half!

I read some of the other reviews, and would like to comment on the unable to get replacement parts comment. I'm not sure what parts one would like to replace. I used my pump usually 4 times a day, sometimes more for months and never had to replace anything. However, you do GET the white plastic doohicker replacement parts in your kit, as well as the silicone clear parts. I've seen these parts at BabiesRUs. I can't imagine one needing to replace the plastic horn.

Pros:
You can pump with everything still IN the bag. Everything fit just fine for me and I just yanked out the cord to plug stuff in and let all the tubing be stuffed into the zipper side pocket while still plugged into the little cute machine.

Its QUIET.

REALLY easy to change rhythm and speed by hand and then press the button for the machine to do all the work.

You can pump directly into the bottles or the storage containers.

I loved the massage cushion things, but if you remove them you get stronger suction - I didn't need that personally.

The bag is similar to a laptop case in appearance - very discreet.

YOu have the parts to make it a manual pump. GREAT for car trips or travel. They DO sell car chargers however.

Cons:
I've read about the polycarb stuff with Avent's plastic bottles. I don't heat the baby bottles so figured that any leaching would be minimal at best, so I dismiss that as an issue.

The 4 ounce bottles are prone to tipping if you don't use the little plastic bases that are provided in the kit. That really is my only gripe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Pump! Worth every penny!, April 20, 2006
Amy Howard (Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
I bought the Isis iQ Duo after having great success with the Isis Manual Pump. My lactation consultant told me not to waste my money, but I went ahead and purchased this pump and I am so happy with it. With my first child, I used the Purely Yours pump and hated it. I never could get the suction and speed correct. After my second child, I thought I would wean him at four months like my first child and give him formula. I didn't think I could ever go back to work and pump successfully. I have been pumping 8 oz twice a day for the last six weeks. I have found that leaving everything hooked up is a time saver. I also purchased the electric sterilizer by Avent so that I could sterilize all of the parts at work. It will hold all of the Isis iQ Duo parts at one time. I leave my pump at work and transport only the pump parts back and forth in the smaller Isis Manual Pump bag. I also found that if the parts are wet, the suction is much better. I have nothing negative to say about this pump. I figure I spent as much as I would have for the price of formula for the first year of my child's life. This pump is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product...but room for improvement, August 29, 2006
AKC (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
As a resident surgeon returning to work, I was in need of a pump that would allow me to pump the most milk in the least amount of time. I believe that the Avent manual pump is the best out there and so I naturally gravitated toward the Isis Duo. I am pleased with the performance of this pump thus far. In 15 minutes, I can pump about 15oz of milk. However, while I have become quite adept at setting up the pump swiftly, I can certainly give Avent quite a few suggestions on how to make this product more user-friendly, compact, and even quicker to put together...hence the 4 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out great but lost appeal after continued use..., February 22, 2006
I bought this product about 6 weeks ago and was incredibly excited about using it for the first few days. I had been pumping manually for almost 2 weeks using the Isis manual. My baby was premature and unable to breastfeed so I had to resort to pumping every few hours to feed with a bottle. At first I was overjoyed with this product. It worked better for me than the manual pump and cut my pumping time in half. Then, a few weeks into things, I started having problems with the pump itself. Sometimes it would suck when I released the handle and release suction when I pressed it in (backwards). Then sometimes it would flash a red light continually for no apparent reason. Other times it would be working fine and just stop for no reason in the middle of pumping and just revert to a green light but not do anything when I pressed the handle. Then the other half of the time it would work just fine.
I called customer service to try to get a replacement and was shocked to learn that they would not help me. They insisted that I send back the pump so they could check it out then they would see what was wrong and then maybe send me a replacement. Well, as any lactating woman knows you can't just go days or weeks without your pump. I could not believe that these people were telling me that I would have to figure out an alternative on my own. The customer service rep actually said to me "You know, you can just use the manual pump attachment included for the next few weeks until we can figure out what is wrong with your electric pump." Well, that's not really an option since you just told me that I have to send back all of the components included in the package my pump came in now is it? My point is that for $350.00 you should receive a little better service. It's not my fault that their product is defective so why should I have to be out several hundred dollars for a pump that doesn't work. My only option is to buy another one to use while they are checking out the messed up one they sold me. Either way I am screwed and their customer service dept couldn't seem to care less. I already own almost every Avent product made so totally switching to another brand isn't really an option but I will never buy another product from their company. I have never experienced such terrible customer service or company practices in all my years as a consumer. Think twice about buying from them because if you ever have a problem with a product you will be out of luck. Also, their bottles leak half the time (even when properly assembled) and the newborn nipple is WAY too fast flowing for any normal newborn.

*** Two months later I have continued to use this pump when it will work and use a Lactina when it doesn't. It takes me twice as long to pump the same amount of milk with the Isis as it does the Lactina and When I use the Isis exclusively for several days on end my milk supply starts diminishing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, February 22, 2006
I purchased this pump on the recommendation of an employee of Babies R Us. They had a demonstration on it since it is a new product and had tons of info about it. I had been told to buy a Medela, but really liked the idea of the Avent one...so I took the chance and bought it with the extended warrenty in case I decided I didn't like it. I have had to pump exclusively and feed my son with a bottle and it is working out very well. I haven't used other pumps, but this one is comfortable considering. I have very sensitive skin and was having difficulty with very sore nipples from breastfeeding. After the first week with the pump, the soreness was no longer there and the petals are wonderful. I have also used it without the petals as well...both ways have worked well. I really like it and am happy with the purchase. I haven't had to use it outside my home as I am not returning to work for weeks yet, but the pump noise does not interfere with anything I am doing. The set up was easy and the clean up is a piece of cake. The tubing and wires are all clear from getting messy...the only thing you have to worry about cleaning is the horn and bottles. No need to sterilize tubing with this pump. I am really glad I spent the extra cash for this! A great buy in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: WOW this is a quick pump!!!, May 8, 2006
Update: I am using this under 'real' working conditions now...I am back at work full time, 40 hours a week. I schedule a 30 minute block 3 times a day but really only use 15 minutes of each block. I get 10 plus ounces combined from each pumping session...and the clean up is quick!!! I must say, I am very impressed. I am pumping more than my son can eat in a day.

I must say, I love this pump. After reading the simple instructions, I had no problem connecting the tubing quickly and plugging it in. In 10 minutes, I pumped a little over 8 ounces of milk (and that was after nursing my son). The one button suction control is just fantastic and makes changing the pumping rhythm on the 'fly' super easy.
Another great Avent product!!!
My only complaint is that the bag is kind of big...but then again I can throw extra stuff in it, so I guess it's not that big of a complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avent breastpump - Awesome!, February 22, 2008
I don't think I can add a lot more information about the Avent Isis IQ Duo, than other already have mentioned in their reviews. However, I am one of the fortunate ones who first got to try out a Medela Pump in Style Original, but then bought the Avent... so here's my 2-cents worth:

I LOVE the Avent breastpump and would NEVER go back to medela. Medela is not a bad product, but Avent just does a better job for me.
I really like the cushions used for the Avent pump. It makes pumping feel so much more comfortable and 'softer'. I also like that I can choose my own speed, and therefore I am able to mimic my baby's sucking. I am able to express more breastmilk with the Avent, which will hopefully help to keep my milk supply up while I'm back at work.

One downside is, as mentioned by another review, that assembly and disassembly of the Avent takes a little longer. The tubes are stiffer than the ones on the medela pump, which means that I have to detach the tubes before I can pack everything in the bag. The same counts for the power cord. So, at work, where I can't just leave the pump sitting there, I have to take it apart and put it back to gether after/before every use.
However, what really counts for me is the endresult: the expressed breastmilk and keeping my supply up. So, even though assembly/disassembly takes a minute longer, I am 100% satisfied with the Avent pump. It is easy to handle, it feels more like actual nursing, I can express more and it is more gentle.

One other thing I prefer about the Avent is that the pump is easier to thoroughly clean after each use. It is easy to take all parts off after pumping. Then I can handwash them, or even put them in the dishwasher. With the medela pump it seemed harder to take all parts apart, so I would only run water through after each pumping. I would only clean the pump thoroughly once a day (or so).

In one other review a lady is worried about spilling milk. I really have not had a problem with it. The pump is a closed system... once the milk is in the bottle/container it can't really be spilled. So, even if the pump tipps over, you would only spill the couple drops caught underneath the membrane.

My advice if you can't make up your mind (like me): Go to BabysRUs and take one of there breastpump seminars. There I was able to take a look at a playtex, a medela, and the Avent pump. I got to touch them all, turn them all on etc.
I think it is a personal decision what pump you like best, or what pump works best for you. So, taking a look at them before actually buying one is great.

Oh, one more advice: don't buy a pump before you had your baby. You won't really know what nursing feels like, or how it really works, until you have your baby. Once you do know all that, it is a little easier to determine which pump feels more like your baby, which pump expresses milk better etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, February 25, 2007
Susa (West Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
I used a Medela pump in the hospital, and found the speed control rather lacking compared with the Avent system, which allows you to find and 'customize' your ideal speed/rate of pumping and then set it very easily with the same finger tip that is holding a pump/bottle assembly. Also, the Medela pump system lacked the silicone 'petals' that affix over the hard plastic horn of the pump; without the petals, I found the suction rather uncomfortable. I had read about this pump during my pregnancy, and wasn't sure if the higher price was worth it, but after trying the Medela --which was supposed to be pretty good-- I decided that if I was going to go through with this, I should fork over the extra money for the Avent. The design differences are actuallly minimal, but they make a big difference in user comfort and effectiveness, so I consider it money well spent. I should note that I used both pumps during the window of time when my milk had not yet come in fully and pumping is somewhat discouraging, and I found the design of the Avent pump at least made things more comfortable. (My husband helped rinse out and re-assemble the Medela assembly in the hospital, and the Avent assembly when we got home, and just fromm this even he commented that the Avent assembly seemed to have a better design.) I have been using my pump for 3 months now, and would definitely recommend this pump to nursing mothers. My daughter uses the Avent bottles/nipples that came with the system (we started a bottle at 6 weeks) and seems to like them. Also, I did buy a product protection plan from the store where I purchased it, since it sounded from some reviewers that if something goes wrong, you may not have much recourse with Avent.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!!, February 14, 2006
R. Blick "becblik" (Port Orange, FL United States) - See all my reviews
My baby can't breastfeed very successfully due to having been on a feeding tube the first 3 months of his life, but we want him to have breastmilk exclusively so I pump for him and we use Avent Via bottles to feed and the regular bottles to store. I have been using the Isis manual pump for the last 4 months and while I just loved it, doing that several times a day for an hour each time for 4 months was getting pretty rough on my hands and taking so much time from my day, so I bought this pump 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! Now I can do both sides in half the time and go faster too, while sparing my hands from carpal tunnel! I love that I can start out fast and switch to long and slow to finish off, at the touch of a button. And there are so many cool goodies in this kit. I love that can use it as a double electric pump, double manual pump, single manual pump, or double manual pump- for the price of one good electric pump, you get 4 options- how great is that! And of course it is just as comfortable and easy to use as the Isis manual was. Oh- and they improved the parts too- that little star valve on the manual was not working too well with long term use and abuse but the new ones that are like little flexible tubes are a much better designa nd easier to clean too. The only drawback is that you feel a lot like a dairy cow and you still don't have any free hands, but that is a tiny tiny price to pay for knowing I can continue to pump for my son for at least a full year as I had originally wanted to do. Way to go Avent! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›