Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$25.90+ $3.80 shipping

on December 20, 2010
I am forever in search of the perfect running headphones. I run 3-4 times/week in all sorts of weather, so my headphones take a beating. I've only had these a few weeks, so the jury is still out, but I think I'm going to like them.

Pros:
-The anchor point of the cord to the neckband is behind the left ear. This keeps the cord out of the way, especially if you run the cord down your back, but also holds true if you connect to your iPod on your arm or have the cord run across your chest.

-The earbuds are the round, soft rubber type, as opposed to the more common circular, hard type (like standard iPod earbuds). This is far superior for staying in your ear and for hearing the music.

-The neckband is sturdy and shaped well.

-Having a clip is great. Some people don't use them, but I think it's essential for running.

-The price is right. There are more expensive headphones out there, but I've found that running headphones WILL develop issues after prolonged use, so it's nice if they're relatively inexepensive to replace. If these last a year they will have met my expectations and I will have gotten my money's worth.

Cons:
-The only downside is that the connection point to the iPod is straight, as opposed to angled 90 degrees. This makes for a less compact connection, and I'm afraid jeopardizes the longevity of the wires.

The sound is fine. I'm not a huge audiophile to begin with, and I'm not looking for perfect sound when I'm running.

I'll update this review after a few months, but it looks like these might be a winner, especially for the price.

=====
Update: 16 months and still going strong. I love them and would buy them again in a hearbeat. Rating updated to 5 stars.
=====
Update: Feb. 2013. While running earlier this week, the music stopped coming out of one of the earpieces. Pretty typical after prolonged use in my experience. I ended up getting almost 2.5 years out of these, and immediately ordered a new pair. Highly recommended.
55 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2011
The "Philips SHQ4000/28 Neckband Headphones Tuned for Sports" are the best i've found for running.

PROS:
- they stay well inside your ear
- the sound quality is good. i haven't seen a big diff between these phillips and a pair of Monster Turbine High-Performance In-Ear Speakers i've purchased recently. i got the monsters for 60 in gold box, originally priced at 120-130.
- they come with a little clip that can help you get the cable to stay where you want it to stay. pretty handy
- the neckband makes it easy to pull them out of your ear without them hanging around (as happens with normal in ear headphones). if somebody comes to speak to you you can just pull them off ,let them rest on your neck, and not worry abour them wobbling around.

CONS:

- if you want to wear them on a plane, or while sitting where you may want to rest your head against something (a bed, a good chair, etc) the neckband will touch the seat before your head, and pop the headphones out of your ear. they're made for sports, not for lying around ;)

- for a bike they aren't the best, if your riding really bent forward the neckband may touch your back and shift the headphones around.

FINAL:
the neckband phillips are the best i've tried when it comes to running. i have no regrets.

hope this helps!

rodrigo.
44 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2011
I rarely review items online, but I feel these are worth it. I spend A LOT of time running (5k, 10k 1/2 and full marathons) and I have spent a ton of money on headphones that are "made for sports". I have at least 10 pairs of sports headphones ranging from $30 to $180 and none have ever worked for running...until now. I have put in 130 miles in the last 3 weeks (training for the Boston marathon) and absolutely love these headphones! I can run for 3+ hours at a time and never have to touch them. They don't move or bounce around, they don't hurt your ears like typical in ear headphones do, and they are super light. Sound quality is as good or better than any other sports headphones I have tried. If youare a runner, then I assure you that you will be happy with these. The only down side (if you can really call it that) is that if you spend a lot of time in the gym lifting weights, then they will get in the way sometimes if you are trying to lay down on the bench. Other than that, I consider them flawless!!
on June 6, 2011
After my first run wearing these headphones I found several flaws.

1. When the wires either bumped against my body or against each other, they created a loud thumping sound which I could hear through the ear buds. It was actually pretty distracting and louder than or at the same volume level as my music. This is my biggest reason for calling Phillips and seeing if I can exchange for a different model.

2. My head isn't that big and I found that the head band was a bit too tight for comfort. After a while of wearing them they started to cause discomfort.

3. The head band goes just a bit to low for me and I found that turning my head would cause the head band to hit my shoulders and move around, which was slightly annoying.

Otherwise, these headphones are great at canceling outside noise, don't fall out of sweaty ears, and I like the idea that they are washable. They need a few more design adjustments, though, for me to want to keep them.
on January 27, 2011
I've had several brands of in-ear headphones --- from the $25 level to the $100 plus. None compare to the combination of sound quality + comfort + plus ability to stay in place + no itching... these are GREAT. I even use them under my helmet when riding my motorcycle and they are GREAT for this too. I'm impressed!
on July 8, 2011
These headphones are great, as long as you're not moving about. The fit and sound quality, whilst stationary, is good. Unfortunately as soon as you start jogging and sweating a little the back drops down to the bottom of your neck and the phones end up popping out of your ears.

The other problem with this type of in-ear model is that it transmits almost all movement noise right to you, from the cable banging rubbing against your shirt to your feet hitting the ground. In my case you can add the noise of the neck-band bouncing against me. Any sweat that gets trapped inside your ears also mutes sound produced.

This is probably all because my head is a little smaller in diameter than the average person but there is no way of adjusting these headphones smaller (or larger).

Finally, in case you were wondering, the over-ear design is completely incompatible with glasses or sunglasses. I've had neck-band headphones that happily share the space over your ear. The Philips phones are so thick that there is no space for glasses to rest.
on July 12, 2011
I purchased these headphones thinking i'd finally found the answer to my continued problem: Why can't I find a decent pair of affordable headphones that stay in and on while running? These headphones fit like a glove. They're comfortable-so much so that they hardly register as being in place on my head. There are no aches to speak of, concerning the buds being in the ear canal. This week, after probably a month of semi-frequent use, the right channel stopped working. Flat out stopped. I can only surmise this is a result of moisture on some level entering the right channel. I had never even run them under running water, despite the apparently ability to do so. I know better than to trust marketing claims.

It's too bad that a pair of headphones tailored for runners, adept at remaining in place while doing so, would falsely claim they're moisture and water-friendly. If only I could return them. I'd much preferred to have a long-term running relationship with them. They could have been the perfect sport headphones. Instead it's back to the S-brand for their 8-buck buds. At least when they die after a year, I won't be out $25.

The claims of poor sound quality by other reviewers were unfounded during my testing. These aren't meant to pump bass or replace a pair of Shure in-ear monitors. If these work for you, you will never need another pair. Just make sure you don't perspire or have a desire to try out their usefulness under running water, as so touted.
on March 15, 2011
I have tried for years to find a headset I can workout with that actually fits, stays in my ears, and delivers quality sound. I'm happy to report I have finally found the headset. For years I have tried various ear buds, of all sizes and other types of workout headphones. None of the buds will stay in my ears, regardless of size or material. Other headphones have been bulky or have delivered less than quality sound. These headphones fit snugly, stay in my ears and stay out of the way - I love them. I may have to order a 2nd one just to have a spare.
on April 29, 2011
I've used Philips ear buds before and have been happy with their sound quality. I decided to get these sports headphones when my Sennheisers stopped working after one year of heavy use. It was a terrible decision. The audio quality degrades heavily as soon as they get wet. Avoid these headphones unless you plan to stay dry.
on March 20, 2011
My goodness. First off: The fit right out of the box. They come with three different sized ear "things", and chances are they'll fit anyone. Second: they're the perfect size for your head. They're so comfortable around the back of your neck. Third: They're light weight and water proof! Really, they're the best headphones I've ever worn.