Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Capacity: 8 GBPackage Type: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Philips Android Connect MP3 player is a viable alternative to the more expensive Apple iPod touch 8GB (4th Generation) - Black - Current Version as a multimedia player and app platform. I also have an iPod Touch and HTC EVO (Android), so will make some comparisons in the body of the review. Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Good Sound; using both the internal speakers and headphone jack, the sound quality is as good or better than the iPod
+ Good Display; good video quality
+ Good Web Browsing; easy to navigate
+ Good Earphones; the included earphones are much better than the pair that came with the iPod Touch
+ App Support; runs most of my favorite Android apps, including Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Kindle, Pandora, and YouTube (loading the "Amazon Appstore" gave me access to all of the apps I already bought for my EVO), but see "Cons" below
+ Responsive Touch Screen; no lag issues at all, unlike other lower priced devices I tried in the past
+ Integrated FM Radio; a nice feature, especially when traveling
+ Easy Network Setup; was connected to my home Wi-Fi in minutes after unboxing
+ Good Battery Life; very pleased with the longevity playing music, games, etc

Cons -
- Small Screen Size; slightly smaller than the iPod Touch and much smaller than the EVO
- App Support; does not support all apps, most notably "Netflix" (installs but crashes, Philips Tech Support indicated they are working on this issue)
- No Camera; this is really surprising on a new device (but also an issue with the Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi)
- No SD Support; can not expand device

Misc -
* Required firmware update at start-up, but the process was quick and easy over Wi-Fi
* Preinstalled SongBird App is a good music player and can be installed on the PC by connecting the device to the computer via the included USB cable (very short) and running the "Setup.exe" program
* Physically about twice as thick as the iPod Touch, but the same dimensions otherwise

Overall, this is an OK Android device that is most suitable for younger users or those that have a lot of existing content on the Android Market or Amazon App Store.

Recommended, with the caveats above.

CFH
on November 21, 2011
With Apple selling so many iPod Touches, I'd think the options for Android equivalents would be larger. Well, Philips has entered the arena. If you are not a fan of Apple this is an adequate alternative.

When I opened the packaging, I was surprised at the size of the Connect. It's a bit over twice as thick as my iPod Touch and a bit longer. It seemed heavier but I weighed both of the devices and the Connect is 112 grams vs. 105 for the iPod Touch. That's probably not enough to truly tell by holding the two players. Call it a wash. The screen on this is 3.2 inches vs. the 3.5 of the Touch. That is noticeable. The Connect has an FM radio receiver built in, which works fine. The Touch doesn't. The big omission is cameras. The Connect doesn't have any, so no video conferencing or snapshots.

While the screen of the Connect is a bit smaller, it's bright and crisp. The Connect comes with a couple of demo movies. They look good. The screen is nicely sensitive to touch. I added my own MP4 movie by side loading and it played perfectly.

Android ran quickly. Apps started up fast. The screen changed orientation quickly. The keyboard is responsive. The Connect walked me through setting up Wi-Fi and connecting to Google services. Wi-Fi reception seems about the same as with the Touch, not spectacular, not terrible. The Connect has a lot of apps preloaded, including Songbird for music, Audible, Rhapsody, YouTube, Android Market and so on. Songbird is an adequate music player, though it lacks touch volume control. I had the same frustrating half hour with the connect to that as I experienced with my LG phone when trying to connect to the Android store. I got it done, but it isn't the seamless/painless experience that Apple delivers.

Unfortunately, like the iPod Touch, the Connect has the headset jack on the bottom. The micro-USB connect jack is there, too. Volume buttons are on the right. The stick out just enough to work with thin gloves on and are separated enough to handle the controls totally by touch without having to first orient whether my finger is on the up or down control. Excellent. The power button is on the right side, near the bottom. Not excellent. It's fits right where the pad beneath the thumb pushes when holding the Connect right handed. I turned the Connect off while holding it with my gloved hand. Poor ergonomics.

A micro-USB cable is included but, its only 12 inches long. I have one from my phone that works better. The include cable is just too short. Charging the Connect from a wall socket charger (not included-I use my Kindle charger) caused the device to hang from the wall. Connecting it to a laptop requires setting the Connect on the computer. The earphones also have a short cord. It will reach a shirt pocket but you won't get the Connect in a jacket hand warmer pocket, let alone your pants. One saving grace is that the in-ear phones are much more comfortable that the awful Apple version, though the look much cheaper than Apple's. Sound quality seems equally mediocre.

Continuing with fit and finish, this thing lacks the polish of the iPod Touch. The Connect is well enough constructed and seems solid, but it also looks cheaper than the touch. One advantage of using an iPod Touch is that there are many after market cases and holders available. You may have trouble finding one. Also the micro-USB connector works fine but won't sit in a dock, which all iPods, iPads and iPhones do. You'll need to get a double male cable to plug into external speakers or other devices. It works but isn't elegant. You can probably use Micro-USB connector to HDMI cable for TV viewing. You can with other Android players. As with many Android devices, you can add a Micro-SD card to increase the 8 GB of built in storage. That's a nice cost savings over the Touch.

The Connect works adequately as a PDA. Standard Android calendar and notes applications work. If you're on a budget, the Philips Connect is a decent alternative to the iPod Touch or the more expensive Samsung options
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2011
I should explain that I am accused of being a senior citizen by some and I do qualify as being one behind the curve when It comes to electronic gadgets. I don't have a smart phone or an I-pad etc., etc. I did break down and buy a Kindle Fire which is very simple and I almost have that one figured out.

And now for the Phillips Connect. At first I was a little frustrated, but got over most of that when I downloaded my first app. and found that about the same as for the Kindle. Downloaded a video and was on my way, I think a little patience and taking time really makes a difference.

I do some walking, decided to put on the earphones, put the Connect in my pocket and head out while listening to some rather lively music....it was just great. To me the sound is terrific and has plenty of base for a "beat" to walk with.

Watching Netflix is slightly challenging as the picture is rather small, but it is private and I can go off into my own world and watch alone with little interference......I really am starting to like this thing.

I know this review is totally lacking in tech lingo, if I were just a little younger I don't think it would be the case. I can thoughtfully assure anyone in about the same place as myself that you can figure this thing out in no time and really enjoy what so many others do. I know it has more features that I will find, but for the ones I have used so far I is just a wonderful thing!

I hope, if you get one of these, you will be as pleased as I. It amazes me how much you can do and enjoy with such a small package.....oh, I do have wireless high speed Internet, so possibly I'm not awfully far behind my grandson.
on June 22, 2012
I feel compelled to post this review on the Amazon site since Phillips refused to publish it saying it did not meet their guidelines. I read their guidelines and found nothing in conflict with them.

I purchased the device (Phillips android SA3CNTo8K/37 MP3 player) in January. It worked reasonably well although I had a few problems getting it to turn on reliably. I really liked the device it is well designed and has nice features. However, after about two months the device refused to turn on; it went completely dead. When attached USB hub the computer would not recognize it. I tried all sorts of resets and finally customer service. They walked me through additional repair steps none of which worked and agreed to send me a new device. After about 4 weeks I received that. It worked for about an hour and immediately went completely dead after I downloaded Phillips recommended "updated firmware" (a meesagebox that comes up upon online attachment to their Phillips "Songbird" site). Again I dealt with customer service. In all my dealings with customer service I found them easy to access, very helpful, agreeable and easy to work with. They almost immediately agreed to replace the second device and after about two weeks I received a third. It worked well for about a month with the exception that I often found a need to reset it inorder to get it to turn on. I then foolishly again tried to download the "updated firmware" and once again the device went dead ( actually, when I tried to repair it through Phillips songbird site it crashed both Songbird and my computer!). Phillips has a serious design flaw with this device. They should post a recall and discontinue selling it until they provide a real engineering fix. If you have one of these devices and it works DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE UPDATED FIRMWARE PACKAGE!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
Two problems with this device:

1. It crashes or hangs almost daily. Keep some paperclips nearby if you get this thing because the reset button has to be poked by something pointy and you will be poking it.

2. The battery life is horrid so you will have recharge it at least daily. Just let it live on a charger because it won't sleep correctly most of the time anyway, ie the battery drops like a rock for no darned reason even though it's just sitting there on your nightstand. No amount of fiddling will reliably make it sleep. For added fun, the last 35% of battery life gets consumed within about 10 minutes.

Look elsewhere for an Android media player. The only real advantage this has is cost, and I can honestly say that I wished I had spent the extra couple of bucks on something better.

UPDATE (August 11, 2012): Farewell little android, you're now dead. I came here to take away a star because the thing now just displays a white screen, but alas this review is already at just one star.
on June 1, 2012
first of all I bought this back in Jan. 2012. It lasted 3 months and then would not turn on. Philips replaced product with no questions asked. Got the new one and has been working fine. The battery life is a little poor and does not support alot of android apps. It seems alot of the apps i want wont work on this machine. The apps that do work work great. wifi connects fast and easy. I think it is a fast browser. I really like songbird and the setup of the device. The power switch should be in a different spot because alot of games I play I keep bumping the power button. I also wish there were more accesories for this. Philips does not even make covers for it. My son has an ipod 4th gen and compared to it i like the gogear better except for the battery life. over all I am glad I did not pay ipod prices for this. It was worth the money I did Pay though.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!
3 months later and the maching froze up again. It would get real hot then freeze up. the reset button would not even work.
I called Philips again. They claim they dont have any to replace it , so they are sending me a refund. ""DO NOT"" waste your money on this. I think im going to try samsung galaxy because im not a fan if ipod.
on April 5, 2012
I bought for 10year old for christmas. First player lasted a month before crashing and was replaced under warranty. Second one would not even turn on. Third unit lasted only 4 days. I was told it would be bought back after I tried a fourth unit. Once this happens I'll spend a bit more and get a Samsung.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I received this Android-powered media player courtesy of the Amazon Vine program a couple of weeks ago. I set it up last week but didn't really get to use it, as I was busy playing with a couple of Xbox games on my Windows Phone.

A few minutes ago, I turned this on to see if I could install the Amazon Appstore app, when I saw a message urging me to update the firmware. I followed the instructions. The update was downloaded and verified, and then...

upon reboot, the Android mascot along with a big warning sign appeared on the screen. When I pressed the home button, I was presented the glorious "Android system recovery <3e>" screen.

I chose the reboot option but nothing worked. I chose the reset option but nothing worked.

This is just terrible.
on January 3, 2012
I have the 8gb Philips connect 3. It would be the prefect device, but (and this is a big but) the battery life is AWFUL! If you are just listening to music it is fine, but if you just wanted an MP3/4 player you would not have paid over 150.00 for a device now would you? The battery is especially awful if you are online. I have the screen as dark as it can be and I am lucky to get two hours of battery life while playing an online game or surfing the web and mine is just a few weeks old. I was on a 10 hour flight the other day and I used the device to read a book and watch one 2 hour movie. I think I may also have listened to music for two or three songs. However, the battery did not last for half of my flight leaving me very bored for the remainder. Also my device has locked up on me several times now. I read someone else had that problem right away. Mine started locking up after a week or two. The other day the screen actually was snowy and the device had to be reset. So I am on my way back to the store to return it. I will likely go with the Samsung galaxy. It is unfortunate that it has these two problems, because if it were not for them I would give this thing a million stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2012
I bought this for a Christmas present. After charging the player up and the screen was in lockout mode, you can't unlock it unless you reset the device. I "chatted" with support at Philips. They had me do the same thing the support page said to do when the screen froze. They said they would send a replacement after I sent them (emailed) the invoice to show I owned it. I did and I have yet to receive the replacement nor a email saying they received my proof of purchase. I called support and since I "chatted" to them I would have to "chat" with them again since the phone support can't lookup any info that was discussed on the "chat". I will not buy this product again and will think twice on any Philips product.