5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Ranging Features in One Neat Package
As a parent of two young children, we have gone through quite a few monitors always looking for the best solution. It appears technology finally caught up with this product category.

Published 11 months ago by NyReckDiver

3.0 out of 5 stars Great unit with wasted features.
It's okay. DECT is super reliable so that's great. The base has a nightlight and music but sadly you cannot activate either from the handheld unit.

That's really disappointing at this price range and really limits the usefulness of either of those features.

If you want to hear what's going on with baby this is great. If you want to calm the baby you...
Published 1 month ago by Doc Twinkie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Ranging Features in One Neat Package, October 11, 2013
This review is from: Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor with Temperature Sensor and Night Mode (Baby Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Packaging and build quality was excellent. In fact, I really like the build quality of this product as it seems the hand unit will take frequent falls down the stairs. Instructions are very clear and setup should last no more than a few minutes if you remember to hold down the link buttons for only 2 seconds (somewhat counter-intuitive). The design of the unit is very modern and a far departure from the old Fisher-Price radio based baby monitors (like the walkie-talkie type) and the price definitely reflects that difference. The price difference also represents a significant new feature set including temperature sensor and variance alert, rechargeable batteries, talk feature, lullaby, night light, vibration mode, etc.. .

The unit itself establishes and maintains a very strong wireless signal. For example, in a 4,000 square foot two story house, we experienced no lost signal and only a minor signal drop off at extreme ends of the home and on the outside patio. Sound quality was exceptional in all instances and we experienced no interference from our extensive wireless network or microwave.

A key feature we thought we would not use, that we ended up using, was the ability to set the sensitivity level that will allow you to adjust the monitor to the specific noise thresholds of your child. We also ended up using the walkie-talkie feature quite a bit and it worked for our child.

Overall, we highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Philips baby monitor is probably as sophisticated as you'll ever get from a sound-only baby monitor, November 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With 4 kids we have used just about every baby monitors out there, both the camera ones and the simple ones with just the voice features. The camera ones are in principle really neat, but a lot of them could be hard to set up and are not very user-friendly. 90% of the times you just need the monitor to tell you if your baby is crying. For all such situations camera could be overkill. If you're a techie, you'll love the monitors with the camera feature. If your not a techie a voice monitor will do just fine.

This Philips baby monitor is probably as sophisticated as you'll ever get from a sound-only baby monitor. It is well designed, sturdily built (a very important consideration for a baby monitor), and easy to set up and use.
The setup was very straightforward. One of the advantages of using a self-contained unit like this one (as opposed to the ones that rely on smartphones and other third-party devices) is that the setup and operation are really robust and easy.
I've used this monitor to check up on my toddler, as well as to interact with him on an occasion. The two-way communications is a lot of fun, but I am not really sure how useful it really is. When your baby is crying, he/she wants you to come over. Almost nothing else will be good enough.

One of the features I like the best about this monitor is the ability to set your own level of noise that activates it. Babies vary, and one baby's anguished screams are another's business as usual.
The stated range of this monitor is 330 meters outdoor. I have not directly tested this, but the range seemed more than adequate.

Overall, we have been really satisfied with this baby monitor. It meets almost all of our needs for such a device, and it's really well made. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Baby Monitor With Multiple Useful Features ..., October 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor and Night Mode" is an excellent addition to your child's nursery or for grandparents who have frequent little overnight "visitors". The unit is compact; its sleek, contemporary appearance and lovely pastel robin-egg blue color are very attractive. Its practical features and clear sound capability elevate it above other baby monitors currently on the market.

Set-up of the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor and Night Mode" is fairly easy - if you read the directions and follow them carefully. To link the parent and base units, you should hold down the power button for two seconds. If you exceed that amount of time, the units do not link; I learned that the hard and frustrating way.

Both the sound quality and transmission power of the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor and Night Mode" are outstanding. The temperature sensor is particularly helpful if you live in an area where temperature extremes and power outages occur with some regularity. By having an alert sound when there is temperature change, parents are able to prevent a baby from getting too cold or from becoming overly warm.

The two-way capability is a real plus in the middle of the night if the "first responder" needs assistance from the parent who has stayed in bed. It is also useful when the child is older; the parent is able to tell the child something without having to play the sleep-delaying game of "mommy/daddy, I need you". Grandparents having a little visitor who talks incessantly before finally succumbing to sleep will find the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" provides an excellent source of entertainment.

Another significant feature - at least for light sleepers - is the ability to set the sensitivity level of this monitor. Rather than hearing every little rustle, particularly if your baby is an "active" sleeper, you can set the sensitivity so you only hear the level of noise that you feel is significant. The seven volume levels allow you to customize the sound to the volume you desire.

The lullaby function is pleasant sounding. The melodies are familiar ones and done in a soothing manner. They are not loud, raucous, or overly stimulating; lullabies repeat after 15 minutes.. The ability to control volume further enhances this feature. If you choose to use it, the nightlight function provides a soft, non-distracting light.

There are several small improvements that I believe would enhance the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor and Night Mode". The time shown on the parent unit is in military time - e.g. 1 PM is shown as 1300 - giving parents the option of choosing a 12-hour clock or military time would be nice. The various control buttons are not visibly marked - the markings are raised, but white like the buttons. It would be helpful to have them marked so that one does not have to memorize their location and function.

Overall, the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor and Night Mode" is an excellent choice as a baby monitor. If you need the temperature sensor with customized alert, you may want to purchase this particular model. Parents who do not need a temperature sensor can economize by purchasing the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor." I highly recommend either monitor for your child's nursery or for grandparents needing a baby monitor in their home.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Monitor, February 28, 2014
I LOVE this monitor. I live in a small apartment so I didn't need anything fancy. My room is just far enough away from the babys room that I have a hard time hearing her. And by time she wakes me up from crying she is so worked up because god knows how long she had been crying. I had the Angle Care sound and movement monitor. I was always getting false alarms and was stopping my heart every time. So I purchased this monitor, I could not be happier. It comes in fantastic, it has a cute night light, and she enjoys the lullaby's for back ground noise. I also think the find parent hand set feature is a GREAT feature considering I was always misplacing mine. I really enjoy this monitor. I would say best one that is a audio monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with features, design & quality, October 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a well-built and well-designed baby monitor. I will say that it is a light blue color and that may matter to someone. It doesn't take up much space and in a small room or when dresser or table top space is limited that matters. My daughter pointed out that she would rather have a clip for her belt than the neck loop.

Our house does not stay the same temperature in all the rooms, so the monitor for temperature sensor is important to us. Some of the things that we didn't need, but like are the night light, and lullabies. The monitor works as far as the barn, about 100 yards from the house.

We are impressed by the features on this monitor, the design, and the quality of this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, January 8, 2014
Having read many reviews on quite a few different versions of sound monitors and even different models of the Avent DECT monitor, I am very happy with this product. This one doesn't have the humidity setting; however my humidifier does maintain a certain humidity level, so it’s not relevant. Additionally, the temperature gauge is quite nice.

In terms of one of the complaints I read often for this product; "the blue lights are too bright", I would say that the product is quite sophisticated in that if you have a sound machine in the child's room, it will detect that sound, re-calibrate to that noise level and then the parent unit goes into stand-by and is TOTALLY silent. ONLY if the baby cries does the parent unit again click on, and then the lights do flash letting you know the baby is crying. That being said, the lights ONLY flash when the baby is crying and so I'm not sure why it matters that they are "bright" as the baby will either stop crying eventually or you will go and get the child. Additionally, the Night Mode does significantly reduce the brightness of the screen and the blue indicator lights.

I have been quite happy with the product. The only thing that is a bit odd is that the Base or child unit requires normally batteries if you are running it without the power cord, while the parent unit comes with a Re-chargeable battery pack. Seems they could have made both units with a rechargeable pack. But 9.9 times out of 10 the base will be plugged in somewhere as the child is sleeping so this isn't really a negative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaches across a 10,000 sq ft house, March 2, 2014
Gordon Mitchell (College Station, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I read several reviews before purchasing this monitor. I was searching for a monitor with long range indoors. I have a two story home that is 10,000 square feet. I have the monitor upstairs on one side of the house and the receiver downstairs on the opposite side of the house. It works perfectly. I needed a system that would allow me to communicate with the children, but not necessarily see them. This monitor has exceeded my expectations. I hear them and they hear me, just what we were hoping for. If you have a large home and need a monitor with two way talk, this one is worth the money. I cannot comment on the other features, because we do not use them. The room temperature is displayed on the receiver at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, February 26, 2014
Wow, after many years with the noise and static of analog units (that broadcast on channels openly for anyone to listen), this is a much-appreciated technology upgrade! It allows you to adjust the sensitivity, and it is as silent as a chair until there is sufficient noise in the baby room for it to amplify. Sounds are very clear, so good microphone and speaker (not cheap garbage like many). We love the privacy of the secure channel, as well as the portability of the unit & the walkie-talkie functionality. A superior product!

5.0 out of 5 stars really nice monitor, February 25, 2014
I like the fact that it has a thermometer on it and you can see the temperature in the room where the monitor is from the parent end of it. I also like the fact that you can speak from the parent end to the base. Will be nice when our son is older and I can check on him from our room or whereve I am since the parent piece has a strap and can be carried anywhere in our house. We have a story and a half house along with a basement and the base is upstairs and we are able to pick up signal anywhere in the house. We tested it put by walking all over the house before our son arrived to make sure sound would be picked up anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective Baby Monitor, October 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have used several different baby monitors, both the camera ones and the simple ones with just the voice features. The camera ones are in principle really neat, but a lot of them are hard to set up and are not very user-friendly. 90% of the times you just need the monitor to tell you if your baby is crying. For all such situations camera is an overkill.

This Philips baby monitor is probably as sophisticated as you’ll ever get from a sound-only baby monitor. It is well designed, sturdily built (a very important consideration for a baby monitor), and easy to set up and use.

I’ve used this monitor to check up on my toddler, as well as to interact with him on an occasion. The two-way communications is a lot of fun, but I am not really sure how useful it really is. When your baby is crying, he/she wants you to come over. Almost nothing else will be good enough.

One of the features I like the best about this monitor is the ability to set your own level of noise that activates it. Babies vary, and one baby’s anguished screams are another’s business as usual.

The stated range of this monitor is 330 meters outdoor. I have not directly tested this, but the range seemed more than adequate for my one family home.

Overall, we have been really satisfied with this baby monitor. It meets almost all of our needs for such a device, and it’s really well made. Highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies