5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well in a large 2 story brick house!
Published 13 months ago by D_shrink

UPDATE: 6/9/2014: Replacement delivered via FedEx Ground on 6/6/2014! Thank you, Philips. Now, we'll see how long it operates.

Published 13 months ago by delicateflower152

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well in a large 2 story brick house!, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor with Temperature Sensor (Baby Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As the distance that the units correspond with each other is determined by what is between them it is good to know some practical limitations or distances at which it will work. The baby's unit and parental unit worked well about 75 feet apart on the same floor and about 50 feet apart on different floors, and there was a large steel support beam separating them that could have caused interference, but didn't seem to in our instance.

The main features of the unit are:
1. It has 4 sensitivity settings - We only used the the two highest settings, but, hey, we are also grandparents - maybe that explains it :-)
a. Highest - you can hear everything going on in the baby's room
b. High - you can hear the softest sounds but not extraneous background noise
c. Medium - you can hear definite vocalizations, but normally not burbling
d. Low - the baby has to cry or yell for you to hear him/her
2. It has a temperature range setting which gives both a visual warning and auditory alert if the temperature were to get outside the range you set. We found that it went off a few times when set near lamp as the heat from the bulb caused it to get higher than we had it set for, so don't set the unit under a lamp or at least don't have the bulb on. But that function did work as advertised and would be a blessing in case a fire just starting.
3. It comes with a built in nightlight.
4. It is supplied with 5 different lullabies to which you can adjust the loudness.
5. You can talk to the baby to reassure it or simply to communicate with it by pressing a button on the parental unit, like an old fashioned walkie-talkie!
6. It is comes with a rechargeable battery pack for the parental unit which can also be plugged in, in which case the batteries aren't needed. Be aware that it does take a full ten hours to charge the battery pack the first time or if it gets totally run down. You could keep it plugged in and then only need to use the battery pack when moving about in which case the batteries would hardly get run down at all. The base or baby unit also runs off electricity but takes 4-AA batteries, which can be the standard type or rechargeable if you prefer those. They are not included with the unit. The parental unit does come with a removable wrist strap.
6. A really neat item besides the temp sensor was the automatic count down feeding timer. You can set it for a one time use and change the time periods each time or it will repeat on a set schedule. It gives both a visual and auditory alert telling you it is time to feed the baby.
7. It gives complete directions in English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

A worthwhile device for both parents or grandparents taking care of a little one [even on a part time basis] as are we.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, No static, January 6, 2014
This monitor has no static and almost no white noise, which I've noticed is a problem with other monitors. I love the bonus of having the temperature sensor. The night light is very dim, which works well for me. The lullabies are cute, but I don't really use them. The different settings are easy to figure out and use. I love the two way communication, and it's easy to hear on both ends. When turning on the base, it makes no noise at all, which is a thoughtful feature, but the handset beeps if it loses communication. Overall, I definitely recommend, it's a great monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this baby monitor, September 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Philips Avent baby monitor is perfect for what we needed it for - monitoring our grandchildren when they come to visit.

Our house isn't too big but our yard is. I could hear the sound on the parent unit perfectly anywhere in the house and out at the back of our quarter-acre lot. Sound was very clear with no static.

I really like the walkie-talkie feature so I can talk to our twin grandbabies and try to settle them down without actually going into their room.

Having the light is nice on the baby unit and it can be turned off. I do wish it could be dimmed.

There are five lullabies that can be played on the baby monitor and there is a volume control.

Volume controls work for hearing the babies, too, or for the walkie-talkie feature.

The temperature reading is a nice but not overly helpful feature for us. I can see really using it if you don't have central heating/air conditioning and the temperature fluctuates a lot in your house.

When first linking up the two units, be sure to press the on button for two seconds. Otherwise they won't link and the baby monitor won't turn on. (It does help to read the instructions.)

There is an 18" neck lanyard to carry the parent unit. I found it just as easy, most of the time, to just leave the parent unit on a centrally located table. But then, as I mentioned, our house isn't very big. The lanyard is nice when I go out to start sprinklers or do something quick outside.

It's nice that the parent unit comes with two rechargeable batteries included. Since the baby monitor will be plugged in all the time, rechargeable batteries aren't really needed for it. It is nice to be able to put four AA batteries in it, though, in case of a power outage. NOTE: Per the owner's manual, it takes four charge and discharge cycles of the rechargeable batteries before they reach their full capacity. Also, you have to charge the rechargeable batteries for ten hours to have the full cordless operating time of eighteen hours.

I also like the FIND button on the baby monitor in case you misplace the parent unit. You press the FIND button and the parent unit emits an annoying tone. To stop it, press the FIND button again or any button on the parent unit.

This is a great monitor and works just like we needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reception is awesome and crystal clear, January 5, 2014
John (OREM, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
I love that the reception is so good and nothing interferes with it like some of the cheaper models. I love the temperature gauge on the monitor because my baby's room has a huge window and it doesn't regulate the temperature as well. The receiver is small and sleek and I love it's functionality. The base unit also does music and a night light so maybe down the road those will come in handy.

I do find it annoying that when you turn the monitor off it makes a sound that cannot be silenced. When I go get the baby in the night I usually turn the monitor off so it doesn't wake up my husband, but then it makes a shutting down tone and the benefit is lost. Besides that I love this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Large Cement Houses Too., June 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The house is a decent size of 2000 square feet and some of our interior walls are made of cement too, while others are dry wall. The reception is still clear from one side of the house to the other side and even when I'm outside, I can get reception. I'm not exactly sure how far I can go, but I try to stay close to the house anyways and not leaving the patio area. It does beep when I am out of range though, which is a nice feature so I can go further away, to like take out the garbage real quick. The strap that goes around the neck works perfectly for this since it's easier to just wear it and look a bit silly than forgetting the monitor on a table somewhere. It's not too heavy to hang around your neck too so I don't mind wearing it when I'm doing things around the house.

I remember when I was young and that about two decades ago, the baby monitors always had white noise all the time and any crying that came through was always accompanied by a burst of more white noise. It was irritating and quite unclear. However, with this monitor and with all the fancy new technology, there is no white noise at all and the voices come clear through the monitor. Even giggles, burps, yawns, and even farts come through clearly and I can adjust on my side the volume, but even on the lowest setting, everything is clear. The lack of white noise makes it easier to sleep at night too since I'm a really light sleeper. Sometimes I worry that the device is not on too, but it's just me being a bit paranoid since it's so quiet. At night, the buttons aren't lighted up, but after a few nights, I knew where the important buttons are anyways, but it would be a nice feature to include in the next model. I can usually hear the baby because I'm a light sleeper, but I like the lights that activate when the baby is making noise, because I know that the light helps me wake up faster too and feel like groggy if I have to get up.

I really like the feature to talk back to the baby and it has saved me a lot of times when a few comfort words will put her right back to sleep. It saves me a trip of getting out of bed to go pat her. I haven't really tried out the lullabies since she's usually asleep when I put her into bed, but it seems like a nice feature since it's very calming.

We have A/C in our house so the temperature is usually quite stable, but I still like the temperature sensor. God forbid if a fire starts in the baby's room and for some reason the smoke sensors don't pick it up faster or something. It's just a nice feature that I don't mind having and it's a slight reassurance. Or sometimes maybe I left the window open a crack during the day and forgot to close it at night, the sensor will let me know that the temperature has dropped or increased from the A/C set temperature.

I find it a bit pricey, but it's a well spent in my opinion. There may be cheaper ones out there, but I don't know how well those perform or how clear the sound quality is. I still have my mother's baby monitor somewhere and I think she paid quite a bit for that piece of garbage, but I suppose it was good during that time. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that works and performs to my standards. I feel less anxious about not knowing when my baby needs me when I'm moving around the house during the day. It's so clear that I use it when she's playing by herself and I can go make meals but know that she's still playing with her toys and blowing bubbles with her mouth. The neck strap came in handy so many times since I can just carry it whenever she is taking a nap. I would highly recommend it and the only issue I had was the lack of lighted buttons at night, but I was able to quickly remember what the few buttons were.

1.0 out of 5 stars Follow-up, Follow-up, Follow-up; Warranty Service Depends on the CSR ... Unit Died After Only 9 Months ..., August 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

UPDATE: 6/4/2014: After waiting three weeks and sending two emails requesting a status update on the warranty replacement, I called Philips again. No order had ever been entered for the replacement even though the documentation had been received. The CSR said she would enter an order for a new monitor to be sent to me.

UPDATE 5/14/2014: Contact with Philips this morning yielded different results. The CSR, Deborah, listened carefully to the issue and then told me the warranty begins when an item is shipped - NOT when it is manufactured. Philips will honor their warranty with respect to this item. I will update again, when necessary.

UPDATE 5/10/2014 BEWARE - Philips Refuses To Honor Their Warranty Claiming This Is A 2011 Model ... : This was the original title of my updated review. This item was received in August 2013 as part of the Amazon Vine Program. It operated nicely until last week and then it stopped transmitting voices. Following all troubleshooting suggestions yielded no results - the unit was still inoperable. I called Philips on 5/10/2014 and was informed by their CSR Liz that since this was a 2011 model, it was likely an overstock purchase and they would not honor the 2 year warranty. Further, the CSR talked continually and never actually listened to the issues.

Additionally, if you fail to register your monitor within 30 days of purchase, the CSR stated it was Philips policy not to honor the warranty. Therefore, if you receive or give this as a gift, register it immediately.

Although I received this at no cost, I still expected Philips to stand behind their product. Their refusal to do so is the complete opposite of Fisher-Price's handling of an issue with one of their products received through the Vine program. I recommend purchasing some monitor other than a Philips Avent since this is a purportedly 2011 model and is outside Philips' warranty coverage, regardless of your date of purchase.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: The "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" is an excellent addition for your child's nursery or for grandparents who have frequent little overnight "visitors". The unit is compact; its sleek, contemporary appearance and lovely pastel robin-egg blue color are very attractive. Its practical features and clear sound capability elevate it above other baby monitors currently on the market.

Set-up of the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" is fairly easy - if you read the directions and follow them carefully. To link the parent and base units, you should hold down the power button for two seconds. If you exceed that amount of time, the units do not link; I learned that the hard and frustrating way.

Both the sound quality and transmission power of the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" are outstanding. The two-way capability is a real plus in the middle of the night if the "first responder" needs assistance from the parent who has stayed in bed. It is also useful when the child is older; the parent is able to tell the child something without having to play the sleep-delaying game of "mommy/daddy, I need you". Grandparents having a little visitor who talks incessantly before finally succumbing to sleep will find the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" provides an excellent source of entertainment.

The lullaby function is pleasant sounding. The melodies are familiar ones and done in a soothing manner. They are not loud, raucous, or overly stimulating. The ability to control volume further enhances this feature. If you choose to use it, the nightlight function provides a soft, non-distracting light.

There are several small improvements that I believe would further enhance the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" usefulness. The time shown on the parent unit is in military time - e.g. 1 PM is shown as 1300 - giving parents the option of choosing a 12-hour clock or military time would be nice. The various control buttons are not visibly marked - the markings are raised, but white like the buttons. It would be helpful to have them marked so that one does not have to memorize their location and function.

Overall, the "Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor With Temperature Sensor" is an excellent choice as a baby monitor. I highly recommend this monitor for your child's nursery or for grandparents needing a baby monitor in their home.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only non-video baby monitor to get, January 14, 2014
This is a great monitor. At it's most sensitive setting we can hear the little one breathing at night...we usually run it around the medium setting.
The noise lights help when you have the TV up loud or are watching a movie.
The temperature display and alarms are useful if you have temperature swings in the nursery.
The remote unit is light and the batteries last a good while.

The night light is no use at all, but I'm not going to take a star off just for that.
Also, we don't use the lullabies - we have Sonos for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not working after 4 months of use., April 13, 2014
Well it worked great until it stopped working, conveniently 1 month after the return policy expired. We have adjusted the sensitivity to the highest setting, turned both units off and back on. They are linked and I can here tapping noises (when I tap on the base unit) but can only hear a voice when I am literally screaming at the TOP of my lungs and it comes in as a faint noise. This is maddening since this was a fairly expensive unit and I now have to toss it. :-( I will try to contact Philips but I'm sure it will be a royal pain in my arse.

1.0 out of 5 stars UNSAFE Do Not buy, June 18, 2014
This baby monitor is defective and a major safety problem. It stopped working without any warning. It says the handset is linked to the base, but we can't hear when our baby is crying. The only noise the microphone picks up is when you tap directly on the microphone. I also saw that other people had exactly the same problem and are reporting that manufacturer rep told them there was a defective batch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hoping for the replacement to work, January 18, 2014
After doing my Consumer Reports research and hoping to find a good buy on one of these DECT guys used on e-bay or Craigslist, I finally decided to get one on Amazon. Baby is 2 months old, and we are very ready to have the baby monitor for some napping freedom. I ordered this on Sunday and expected it to arrive in the usual timely Amazon Prime fashion, but it didn't get here until Friday. I was already unhappy... Then, set up the unit and my husband and I tested it, and heard nothing! We did all of the troubleshooting steps and tried to call Philips (their customer service is useless and told me that they use the same public-facing troubleshooting guide as I would). We reset both the parent and baby units to factory settings and tried again. the units linked, and we could hear the lullaby playing within the actual baby unit, but even with my husband yelling fake cries directly into the baby unit, I could hear nothing on the parent unit, and the "sound lights" didn't register anything. Quite discouraging, and not what we wanted to deal with when we have a newborn at home. Given the potential of this item (low interference, long range), and other positive reviews, I'm really hopeful that I can come back and change this review or update it.

Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor with Temperature Sensor