Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on November 3, 2013
Purchased this model at Wall-Mart for $68. I can not understand the bad reviews, it does everything it says it does and does them quite well. I had NO hang-ups on Netflix which was always annoying on our Wi (bandwidth is not an issue here). It read my MP3 player without issue. It played video from a thumb-drive. Had no problem setting it up, all the functions seem to work very well. I have seen a few areas it could be a little faster but they are barely noticeable and not a problem for me. It takes my computer longer to read those devices.

The one I have is NOT Wi-Fi, there was another model at the store that was and I got it mixed up but since my router was a few feet away, it didn't matter.

Phillips and all manufactures- WHY AREN'T YOU INCLUDING INPUTS AND OUTPUTS ON THE BOX? I had to talk to several people and in the end I purchased it not knowing for sure if my equipment would be compatible... luckily, I had all the appropriate cables. Still, if it wasn't for the ease of returning items at Wal-Mart, I wouldn't have bought it.

Inputs: 120VAC
Outputs: Composite, HDMI, Coaxial, Ethernet
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2014
I just bought one of these (The BDP2100) from Walmart. It clearly states on the front and back of the box in a highlighted label that it requires wired Ethernet, that's why it's cheaper than the 2105. Walmart did have some on the wrong shelf, but comparing the shelf tag to the box only required the use of my eyes and the small portion of my brain that Sesame Street taught to compare things.

The unit came with 2 AAA batteries for the remote but no HDMI cable, which is to be expected. Only extremely high end devices like PS4s come with an HDMI cable. No worries though I have at least a dozen, they're really cheap on

I plugged in the Ethernet cable before powering it on and it connected itself to the network automatically and immediately downloaded an update, which it then asked if I would like to install or not.

Netflix was rather slow to load the first time around, but signing in was easy as I clicked OK on the highlighted boxes and an onscreen keyboard came up to sign in with. I can't really state much about the quality of the Netflix stream, as Comcast currently appears to be throttling it as it looks like rubbish on all of my devices even though I have 26mbps downstream verified on

The YouTube app ran well, I don't really use any of the others, an Amazon Prime app would've been nice and would really round it out as a replacement for some of my older devices like the Roku XD.

Blu-rays loaded significantly faster than on my Sony BDP-S300, which they should as that player is nearing 7 years old and is was the "cheapest" (at $300) of it's time.

So far it seems to be a solid player, and while it's certainly possible that my opinion may change over time for $58 it currently seems like it was a pretty good deal.
on August 26, 2013
After my kids previous Blu-ray player gave up the ghost, I wanted to replace it with a device that also included wifi, as they like watching Netflix shows and their previous player did not have wifi access, and we don't have internet cable run into their room. I headed to Best Buy and purchased this model instead of a similarly priced Samsung model that was reported to freeze up a lot. I've now had this device for a couple of days, and will be returning it to Best Buy.

First and foremost, the player doesn't come with an HDMI cable. That for me wasn't a big deal, as I still had one hooked up to that TV that we had used with the previous player. But, if you don't have a spare HDMI cable lying around, you'll need to make sure you get that at the same time. I've gotten used to manufacturers being increasingly cheap and making you pay extra for cables or plugs, even Amazon does this with their Kindle now, where you get the USB cable but need to pay extra for the wall plug adapter.

While some people seem to have experienced issues hooking up the wifi, that just worked for me. It did not ask me for a wifi dongle, and I was able to just fill in my network settings and password and have it connect.

I did have some issues connecting to Netflix, which revolved around the fact that you use the remote to type in your username and password on the screen. In previous input screens (like for the wifi) you use the number keys like you would a phone, multiple button presses cycle you through the number and uppercase or lowercase letters. This method doesn't work on the input screen for Netflix and pushing the number button only typed the number. Trying to type your email address then becomes a baffling mystery not addressed at all in the manual. I had to do an internet search to find out that in order to access an onscreen keyboard you have to hold the OK button down for several seconds. It would have been nice if that was in the manual, especially when this device is very specifically marketed to be for Netflix usage, and even has a dedicated Netflix button on the remote control. It wasn't a huge problem, but it's a kind of glaring omission that you'd expect someone to have noticed at some point in the testing or technical writing stage.

My biggest problem with this machine, and the reason why I'm going to be returning it, is the fact that it just doesn't play like it ought to. It frequently freezes up, usually when you're trying to access a service or disc, and sometimes during playback of a disc. Sometimes it won't respond at all to commands either from the remote or pressing the Eject and On/Off buttons on the device. It has refused outright to play some of our movies, including plain old DVDs, not even/just Blu-Ray discs that I know some cheaper players can have issues with (and these discs were not dirty or scratched). In the past couple of days, I think I have unplugged this thing at least two or three dozen times, sometimes per day. I've had to unplug it as a way of turning it off on more than one occasion too, and I haven't even owned this device a week.

For what it's worth, I won't be purchasing from Best Buy again either. They've changed their return policy to be 15 days, unless you pay them for an additional extended warranty/service plan ($11+, and paying an additional 1/6th of the price of the machine seems steep). I feel lucky that my device gave me headaches so soon, so I can still return it without having to deal with that on top of everything else.

I don't expect the world from a cheap player, it's not that expensive after all (but at almost $80 it's not super cheap either, in my opinion). But at least the previous "cheap" LG machine I had for my kids' room just worked without any major issues, I had expected this one to at least play the things I wanted it to.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2014
This product was a complete waste of money. I have had it less than 3 months and in that time have had to completely disconnect it several times in order to "reset" it so that it would play DVDs. It frequently likes to stop working for no apparent reason. It will play a disc one day, and fail to play the same disk another day. It is frustrating and really disappointing. It was not expensive, but is not worth the price-tag attached to it. REALLY disappointed with Philips. I have other Philips products, but unless they do something about this particular product they will lose my business entirely.
on September 28, 2014
I was willing to overlook the fact that we could not customize features (like adding hulu plus). But then the player stopped working after 4 months. The motor fried. NOT SATISFIED!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2013
I'd been looking for a low priced blu-ray player that was hackable to be region free. I was told to check out the lower end players at Walmart and avoid Sony as they're apparently harder (or impossible) to make region free. Bought this player at Walmart for $58 and it was region free out of the box for my European DVDs - awesome! Now that I've tested it for a bit, the quality beats my old player by miles. Happy customer here.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2014
Some people like to say "you get what you pay for" when you complain about something you got that was cheap, then ended up being terrible. The problem with this device is that no, you don't get what you pay for.

If you're looking for a "smart" player, look somewhere else. By smart, they mean that it comes with pre-loaded apps that can't be changed. That means you get Netflix, Pandora, Vudu, Youtube, and a couple other apps and THAT'S IT. No HBO To Go, no Prime Instant Video, no Redbox Instant. That wouldn't be AS big of a deal if the apps they had worked. The Netflix app - the one that, let's be honest, is probably the reason you're look at this - is useless. Whether I'm connected wirelessly or through ethernet, I can't stream Netflix. If the app manages to load, AND if by some miracle a movie manages to load, then I get to watch about 15 seconds (after waiting about 30 for it to load) before it freezes and has to load again. Useless. I'm in bad streaming Netflix to my tablet and yet the thing connected through ethernet can't do it.

This is my first Phillips product, and it will be my last.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2014
Based on my experience with this product, I will never buy another Philips device again. I'm pretty sure they borrowed the processor from the nearest calculator. IF the device powers up properly it takes upwards of 3-4 minutes...Netflix almost never works right and when it does, each input from the POS remote registers on the screen approximately 30 seconds later. Tonight I was trying to watch a movie with my wife but I got so frustrated with it we wound up watching the pilot episode of New Girl because that's what was currently selected. God I hate this thing. I might use it for target practice.
on July 23, 2014
I have a PS3 so I bought this Phillips for my parents. It was cheap and seemed easy enough. Until it turned into junk. Almost EVERY disc we try says "unknown disc" and spins erratically while trying to figure out what it's doing. Does this with blu rays and most DVDs as well. I thought maybe I just had a flawed player, but turns out a lot of people have had this problem. Phillips is willing to look at the issue, but unfortunately this model is to cheap to even be worth the repair in their eyes, Usually breaks in 9 months. Doing what I should've done now, and buying a Sony.
on December 8, 2013
This is my first Blu Ray. I got it on sale at Walmart last weekend, and although I got it for a decent price, I could've just bought a really good brand, maybe a Sony or something for a higher price and would've gotten a much better system than this. It's very slow to come on when you press the power button, and on the remote it has a button specifically for Netflix, but when you press it nothing happens. You still have to turn on the system, wait for the main menu and then scroll down to Netflix. I've even had issues where when I wanted to watch it, it would freeze up on me and give me an error message. So I'm going to buy another one and put this one in my living room where I barely watch tv.