5.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand the bad reviews
Published 10 months ago by R. Kish

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Device That Locks Frequently.
Published 12 months ago by Marieke Bermon

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand the bad reviews, November 3, 2013
This review is from: Philips BDP2100/F7 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Purchased this model at Wall-Mart for $68. I can not understand the bad reviews, it does everything it says it does and does them quite well. I had NO hang-ups on Netflix which was always annoying on our Wi (bandwidth is not an issue here). It read my MP3 player without issue. It played video from a thumb-drive. Had no problem setting it up, all the functions seem to work very well. I have seen a few areas it could be a little faster but they are barely noticeable and not a problem for me. It takes my computer longer to read those devices.

The one I have is NOT Wi-Fi, there was another model at the store that was and I got it mixed up but since my router was a few feet away, it didn't matter.

Phillips and all manufactures- WHY AREN'T YOU INCLUDING INPUTS AND OUTPUTS ON THE BOX? I had to talk to several people and in the end I purchased it not knowing for sure if my equipment would be compatible... luckily, I had all the appropriate cables. Still, if it wasn't for the ease of returning items at Wal-Mart, I wouldn't have bought it.

Inputs: 120VAC
Outputs: Composite, HDMI, Coaxial, Ethernet

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Device That Locks Frequently., August 26, 2013
After my kids previous Blu-ray player gave up the ghost, I wanted to replace it with a device that also included wifi, as they like watching Netflix shows and their previous player did not have wifi access, and we don't have internet cable run into their room. I headed to Best Buy and purchased this model instead of a similarly priced Samsung model that was reported to freeze up a lot. I've now had this device for a couple of days, and will be returning it to Best Buy.

First and foremost, the player doesn't come with an HDMI cable. That for me wasn't a big deal, as I still had one hooked up to that TV that we had used with the previous player. But, if you don't have a spare HDMI cable lying around, you'll need to make sure you get that at the same time. I've gotten used to manufacturers being increasingly cheap and making you pay extra for cables or plugs, even Amazon does this with their Kindle now, where you get the USB cable but need to pay extra for the wall plug adapter.

While some people seem to have experienced issues hooking up the wifi, that just worked for me. It did not ask me for a wifi dongle, and I was able to just fill in my network settings and password and have it connect.

I did have some issues connecting to Netflix, which revolved around the fact that you use the remote to type in your username and password on the screen. In previous input screens (like for the wifi) you use the number keys like you would a phone, multiple button presses cycle you through the number and uppercase or lowercase letters. This method doesn't work on the input screen for Netflix and pushing the number button only typed the number. Trying to type your email address then becomes a baffling mystery not addressed at all in the manual. I had to do an internet search to find out that in order to access an onscreen keyboard you have to hold the OK button down for several seconds. It would have been nice if that was in the manual, especially when this device is very specifically marketed to be for Netflix usage, and even has a dedicated Netflix button on the remote control. It wasn't a huge problem, but it's a kind of glaring omission that you'd expect someone to have noticed at some point in the testing or technical writing stage.

My biggest problem with this machine, and the reason why I'm going to be returning it, is the fact that it just doesn't play like it ought to. It frequently freezes up, usually when you're trying to access a service or disc, and sometimes during playback of a disc. Sometimes it won't respond at all to commands either from the remote or pressing the Eject and On/Off buttons on the device. It has refused outright to play some of our movies, including plain old DVDs, not even/just Blu-Ray discs that I know some cheaper players can have issues with (and these discs were not dirty or scratched). In the past couple of days, I think I have unplugged this thing at least two or three dozen times, sometimes per day. I've had to unplug it as a way of turning it off on more than one occasion too, and I haven't even owned this device a week.

For what it's worth, I won't be purchasing from Best Buy again either. They've changed their return policy to be 15 days, unless you pay them for an additional extended warranty/service plan ($11+, and paying an additional 1/6th of the price of the machine seems steep). I feel lucky that my device gave me headaches so soon, so I can still return it without having to deal with that on top of everything else.

I don't expect the world from a cheap player, it's not that expensive after all (but at almost $80 it's not super cheap either, in my opinion). But at least the previous "cheap" LG machine I had for my kids' room just worked without any major issues, I had expected this one to at least play the things I wanted it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars People should learn to read packaging, and maybe do some research., January 3, 2014
I just bought one of these (The BDP2100) from Walmart. It clearly states on the front and back of the box in a highlighted label that it requires wired Ethernet, that's why it's cheaper than the 2105. Walmart did have some on the wrong shelf, but comparing the shelf tag to the box only required the use of my eyes and the small portion of my brain that Sesame Street taught to compare things.

The unit came with 2 AAA batteries for the remote but no HDMI cable, which is to be expected. Only extremely high end devices like PS4s come with an HDMI cable. No worries though I have at least a dozen, they're really cheap on monoprice.com

I plugged in the Ethernet cable before powering it on and it connected itself to the network automatically and immediately downloaded an update, which it then asked if I would like to install or not.

Netflix was rather slow to load the first time around, but signing in was easy as I clicked OK on the highlighted boxes and an onscreen keyboard came up to sign in with. I can't really state much about the quality of the Netflix stream, as Comcast currently appears to be throttling it as it looks like rubbish on all of my devices even though I have 26mbps downstream verified on speedtest.net.

The YouTube app ran well, I don't really use any of the others, an Amazon Prime app would've been nice and would really round it out as a replacement for some of my older devices like the Roku XD.

Blu-rays loaded significantly faster than on my Sony BDP-S300, which they should as that player is nearing 7 years old and is was the "cheapest" (at $300) of it's time.

So far it seems to be a solid player, and while it's certainly possible that my opinion may change over time for $58 it currently seems like it was a pretty good deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Region free out of the box, August 15, 2013
I'd been looking for a low priced blu-ray player that was hackable to be region free. I was told to check out the lower end players at Walmart and avoid Sony as they're apparently harder (or impossible) to make region free. Bought this player at Walmart for $58 and it was region free out of the box for my European DVDs - awesome! Now that I've tested it for a bit, the quality beats my old player by miles. Happy customer here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute trash., January 30, 2014
Some people like to say "you get what you pay for" when you complain about something you got that was cheap, then ended up being terrible. The problem with this device is that no, you don't get what you pay for.

If you're looking for a "smart" player, look somewhere else. By smart, they mean that it comes with pre-loaded apps that can't be changed. That means you get Netflix, Pandora, Vudu, Youtube, and a couple other apps and THAT'S IT. No HBO To Go, no Prime Instant Video, no Redbox Instant. That wouldn't be AS big of a deal if the apps they had worked. The Netflix app - the one that, let's be honest, is probably the reason you're look at this - is useless. Whether I'm connected wirelessly or through ethernet, I can't stream Netflix. If the app manages to load, AND if by some miracle a movie manages to load, then I get to watch about 15 seconds (after waiting about 30 for it to load) before it freezes and has to load again. Useless. I'm in bad streaming Netflix to my tablet and yet the thing connected through ethernet can't do it.

This is my first Phillips product, and it will be my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great -good value for $48 from Wal-Mart- saved us hundreds of dollars, December 18, 2013
Long story short. Our old DVD player (1999 vintage) became unreliable and we had lost the remote years ago. We are still using an old fashioned analog TV that works great (Sony) so finding a compatible DVD player without having to fork out a few hundred dollars for a new HDTV was a challenge.

We employed our old three wire ( yellow for video , red and white for audio ) cable and the video worked fine. Since it was an old TV , we had to convert the digital coax audio signal from the Phillips DVD player to analog audio. This was accomplished by purchasing two items from Amazon: 1. A Conversions technology Digital coax & optical Toslink to Analog audio converter ($15) and 2. A 6 ft digital audio coax cable $(9). We connected the the digital audio cable from the player to the converter and then plugged the analog audio cable from the box to the TV.

We now have a very acceptable video and audio signal that plays through our old TV and the capacity to stream Netflix and play blue ray DVDs and USB media too! Another words we have a Smart TV for a total investment of $70, and money to spend for Xmas gifts under the tree. Priceless!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Blue Ray, February 21, 2014
Nothing special.. good price and devivery.. I would have sworn that the listing said wifi.. but guess I was wrong.. spend 2 hours trying to configure it for wifi.. then I read the box.. haha still happy with it.. But now I just use my Wii to watch Amazon Prime Movies and shows.. enough words yet???

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess..., December 8, 2013
This is my first Blu Ray. I got it on sale at Walmart last weekend, and although I got it for a decent price, I could've just bought a really good brand, maybe a Sony or something for a higher price and would've gotten a much better system than this. It's very slow to come on when you press the power button, and on the remote it has a button specifically for Netflix, but when you press it nothing happens. You still have to turn on the system, wait for the main menu and then scroll down to Netflix. I've even had issues where when I wanted to watch it, it would freeze up on me and give me an error message. So I'm going to buy another one and put this one in my living room where I barely watch tv.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its not that bad!!!, September 3, 2013
1. No HDMI cable with device. Not a problem, you can get AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable for less than $7 and that is a good cable too.

2. Wireless DOES work! You just have to be patient with it.

3. A little slow on loading DVDs and Blue-ray disks. But plays them with out a hitch. Do make sure that you have ventilation for it though.

4. It is on the cheaper end so you get what you pay for; but it works and works fine also region free....

2.0 out of 5 stars No Disc, January 14, 2014
So being the person that I am I was shopping around for my first Blu-ray didn't have a lot of cash one me so I when this went on sale I bought it. Now after less than 8 months in service and not a lot of movies watched oddly until this week I put in a DVD and it says no disc. No matter what disc I put in it I get the same message, I have older DVD players in the house that have years and years play time. And they still work, this one just quit. Not very happy at all with it. As for the other features. NetFlix and the others, they are okay but as the software for these apps updates in other area's, IE my computer PS3 this one does not. Updating the firmware on the player is a joke, while you are hardwired to the internet it wouldn't upgrade, I had to put it on a USB device to get it to upgrade... don't waste your money or time on this one. Move on to something better.

On the upside tho, I called Phillips and found that it was under warranty, They are sending me a replacement player and I sent them one back, they cover the shipping. It got the second star for that.

Rate and Discover Movies