4.0 out of 5 stars Nice player!
My old Philips dvd player (DVP5982) stop recognizing the DVD disks and I needed a Blu-ray player as well so I bought this one for about $80 from one of the big box stores.

Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Published 16 months ago by MC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice player!, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Philips BDP2185/F7 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player (Black) (Electronics)

The reason I buy Philips players is that most of them can be made region-free in a couple of minutes. For example, to make this one region-free (DVD part only) follow the instructions below:
To set the DVD region:
Power on with no disc in tray
Press HOME
Enter 138 931 0
For RCE-discs use region number instead of last "0" (e.g. 138 931 1 sets player to region 1 (America))

To check the current region:
Power on with no disc inside
Press HOME
Enter 8520

The player works better than my old Philips. Is more responsive compared to DVP5982, but is still slow at times; this is why I am rating it as a 4 star. I haven't tried the 3D feature. I use it primarily for disks and Netflix which both work very well.

All in all, it may not be the best player in the market, but given its price it offers all the necessary functionality plus it can be easily made region-free (DVD only.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, June 22, 2013
very disappointed. temperamental machine. shuts off on its own and sometimes you can't turn it off. skips on the remote. sound on Netflix must be adjusted as it won't have any sound if set to Dolby. ( default) sketchy wireless connection. cheap feeling remote with no light response on machine at click. would not recommend. would be happier to do a Mexican hat dance on this machine rather than use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY, October 5, 2013
This product is terrible, bought brand new. Remote control lags, IF it even works. Blu Rays do not play or freeze during movie. Player freezes and needs to be unplugged from the wall- imaagine doing this behind an entertainment center and all your wires. the whole experience is terrible. DO NOT BUY! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Wish i would have paid the extra $30 for a nicer player. All blu-ray players are apparently not made the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phillips fails to take care of their own failures caused by poor planning and roll out of firmware. BEWARE!, August 16, 2014
Total junk! I've come to trust Phillips. In the past, they were innovators and made excellent equipment. I bought this to replace a Sony that didn't have Wi-fi connection. I brought it home and discovered this is unbelievably slow in response to reading DVDs, standard and Blu-Ray. But I continued to use it. Then, they set up a firmware upgrade this month (August 2014) and now the unit is a brick. Contacting the web site for Phillips and attempting to contact a rep via live chat, I was given the run-a-round and told to call the service number at 866-309-5962. I was then told that yes, there was an issue with the player listed in this ad...the BDP2185/F7, but now fix had been determined..."engineers were working around the clock to resolve the issue." TOTAL BS!!! I was given an incident number and told they would call when they had resolved the issue. MORE BS! A company of Phillips stature should have: 1) Tested the firmware update in real-time to determine the affect, 2) Should have offered at least a firmware software rollback to set it to former condition. 3) Should have a way to eject DVDs manually in case of hardware failure 4)Should respond IMMEDIATELY to such a total failure on their part.

I have a Phillips flat-screen and sound system as my home entertainment system. I will NEVER purchase another Phillips product from this day forward.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works decent... most of the time anyways. Err, nevermind., July 21, 2013
Have had it about 2 weeks. Freezes occasionaly, but will not play Rango without freezing. Aside from Rango, it only freezes after prolonged usage an maybe from the heat (It's summer here.) Wifi works well. Working with customer service over freezing issues, will update if warranted.
-Update. Player started freezing constantly and logging out of youtube. Promptly returned the Philips for a different brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, August 11, 2013
Brand new out of box, Hooked the unit up and it will not operate. Changed Brand new batteries, for Other ne batteries, Phillips log comes up but No Menu, No play. Now I have to return this piece of crap.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of your money., January 22, 2014
I bought this unit and set it up it seemed to work at first but as soon as I setup the network the unit started to update the software, it downloaded just fine but as soon as it began to install the update it froze up and just sat there for 3 hours with a message "Update in progress. Please do not unplug or turn the unit off" so I called Philips and talked to a tech and his opinion was the unit was defective and I should return it to where I purchased it. I set up an RMA and opted to have another one sent to replace it and recieved it very quickly ( Love Amazon) and the replacement unit did exactly the same thing. going to RMA this one too as soon as Amazon receives the first one and replace it with a different brand all together. All in all these Philips units have a bad software issue and Philips needs to at least test these units before they sell them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Firmware rollout killed by already bad unit(s)., August 18, 2014
I purchased 2 units at the same time, mostly for the WiFi, and Netflix. To say they were good units is giving too much credit to Philips. The firmware upgrade issued last week (August 2014) killed the units. They will no longer power off, they no longer connect to my television, and they will no longer allow you to access the DVD drive (which had a DVD stuck in it). I had to disassemble the unit to retrieve the DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware this player!, March 7, 2014
I've had this player since May of 2013 and at first it seemed fine. The remote lagged but everything seemed to work well. However over the past few weeks this machine has gone haywire for no apparent reason. It restarts by itself, doesn't stay on when I'm trying to watch anything [DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix, ect.] and the strangest part, it has started turning on when I use a completely unrelated remote. I used the remote to turn on my heater and it started the Blu-Ray player! I've been back and forth with the service department but no fix yet. Definitely returning for a different model [and thank God above for 2 year warranties.] Spend the extra money and get yourself a more reliable player.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with audio when playing discs, July 11, 2014
J. Gilbert (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
When playing a disc, the sound cuts out for 3-5 seconds at a time, several times during the movie. This even happens with brand new discs, so the problem is clearly not due to dirty or scratched discs. If we are using the blu-ray player for streaming Netflix, however, it works pretty well. Due to the issue with the sound dropping out, even though we've only had it for only a few months I'm already shopping for a replacement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Philips BDP2185/F7 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player (Black)
$99.99 $84.69