Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on May 30, 2009
This DVD player is a great bargain at $55. It works perfectly fine. Here's what you really want to know:

1) Make this DVD player region-free. Press Setup on the remote and go to Preferences. Press 1, 3, 8, 9, 3, 1 on the remote. Use the up and down buttons to select Region 0 (region-free).

2) Go to the General Setup page. Press 1, 3, 7, 9. This will display the firmware information. If the last two digits of Version aren't "31," then go to the Philips website and update to the most recent firmware (31).

3) For US users, the first two digits of Version will be "37." Go to [...] and download "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo.rar" and follow the upgrading instructions ([...] It really is as simple as it sounds, and it can be done in less than 60 seconds. I recommend the USB method. Upgrading to this firmware will give the USB capabilities of the DVD player increased functionality and usability (there are a couple dozen changes and fixes; I won't list them here).

Random notes: The DVD player will only recognize jump drives and USB hard drives that are formatted in FAT32, so you will need to do that. Now, the manual says there is a limit of 300 folders and 648 files. This is not exactly true. There IS a limit of 648 files PER folder. So what reads as a limit of 648 files is actually a limit of 648 * 300 = 194,400 files. So this is NOT a limiting factor.

I tested a variety of files and the DVD player can read everything I threw at it, with the exception of Quicktime files and Real files. It is equally as capable in the realm of audio files. It also has a slideshow feature for pictures. In case you are curious, it can't read PDF files.

When one video or audio file finishes, it automatically goes on to the next one. It could be great for background music when hosting a party.

The DVD player can access .srt subtitle files that have multiple tracks and you can flip through them while watching a foreign Divx movie. I was extremely pleased by this. The modified firmware I linked will also allow you to change the color, size, and location of the subtitles while you're watching the movie. Extremely nifty.

Watching Divx movies on my TV looks perfectly sharp, and now I don't have to store or swap discs. This DVD player is a sign of the future. Get out and buy one (and a USB hard drive... if you catch a deal they're as cheap as ten cents/GB). $100 can create a total multimedia collection that changes with you.

Also, the remote does feel a little cheap. But who cares? It is cheap.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a top-notch DVD player for those whose tastes in movies goes beyond what is currently being offered by US companies. I personally hate to be at the mercy of what companies think I should or should not be able to watch, and am really pleased to find such an excellent region-free player.

So far, it has handled all my DVDs with no problem. Region 2 Japanese DVDs? Plays great. Region 2 PAL DVD from the Netherlands? No problems. (A real shame that Orson Wells classic "Falstaff" does not have a US release, but that just shows why a region-free player is necessary.)

Aside from DVDs, this player handles CDs, DivX and everything else I have popped into it. It even has a USB port, so if you download anything you can just pop it into a Flash memory stick and watch it on this player.

Sadly, I haven't used the upscaling function yet, because I don't have an HD TV yet. But if it works as well as everything else has on this player, then I assume I have nothing to worry about, and am looking forward to being able to try it out.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2009
This player is better than 2 older model Philips DVD players I have (5140, 3140). Also, my remote was a slick black one, not the gray one shown that came with older models. The whole player is very thin and slick.

This one plays music CDs (normal audio CD or mp3 files), DVDs in PAL or NTSC format (including avi files on a data DVD as well!). Note PAL is the standard in England (Phase Alternating Line) and NTSC is the standard originating in the USA and Japan (National Television System Committee). With these two video encoding standards playable, you can play just about every DVD available. Also, you can put MP3 files and video files (avi, mpg, mp4, etc.) on a USB device and play them directly off of that plugged into the front of the player. VERY Convenient! I love it!

Also neat is that it remembers where DVDs were (DVDs playable on all players, not data DVDs with avi files). So you are watching your favorite movie, your spouse has a DVD to watch for work. No problem, pop out your DVD. She watches here movie. Pop yours back in, and it starts right back up where you left off! (or you can pres PREV to start from the beginning). Really a nice feature!

You should change the region to 0 (region free - accept discs from any region of the world, which is not the same as PAL/NTSC standard). I saw a couple of prior reviewers were confused by this distinction. This player can play both PAL and NTSC formats, as well as any region encoded discs once you make the change below.

To change your unit to be Region Free:

Be sure there is no DVD/CD in the unit.
Close the tray door.
Press Setup on your remote control.
Using the circluar control around the OK,

To see your current firmware version (and region code):
Press setup
You will be on General Setup Page
Press 1 3 7 9
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 4, 2008
I am using this item for over 4 months now.

All region DVDs play perfect and the picture quality is just great.

It was 4 months after that I found out that there's a problem playing music CDs.

A small noise comes out with the music CD. Some kind of distorted noise.

I played the same music with Blu-Ray player and it didn't happened.

I think there's some kind of collition happeneing when I play music CDs.

Be aware about that.

I am buying a 6 CD player because of this problem.
on February 27, 2010
I ordered this player specifically to play British DVDs. All the reviews sounded great. But when I tried to play a Region 2 DVD, I got a region error on the screen. Most of the reviews said their unit worked right away. I was confused and read all the documentation over and over but no comment on how to make this player region free. I then read another Amazon review that said I needed to change the zone from 1 to 0 (my region code on the back said region 1). Why did my player not work while other's did? So I followed these instructions and now the Region 2 DVDs play fine, including my region 1s.

To change your unit to be Region Free:

Be sure there is no DVD/CD in the unit.
Close the tray door.
Press Setup on your remote control.
Using the circluar control around the OK,

To see your current firmware version (and region code):
Press setup
You will be on General Setup Page
Press 1 3 7 9
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2008
I bought this at Best Buy today. I was there picking up a 500GB WD USB HD for $90 on sale and thought i'd see what they had in the way of DivX players. I had read good things about this one and the 5992 (both have the improved USB 2.0). The 5990 was $59 at Best Buy. so for around $150 i have a great 500GB Divx/.wmv/.mp3/etc. 1080i media center for my digital TV. A great alternative to an Apple TV, which i had been contemplating for sometime.

Down to the nitty gritty. If you're using a Mac to set up your DivX Hard Drive for use with this player, make sure you format your USB Drive to FAT-32 (MS-DOS), and also (very important) make sure the partition map is "Master Boot" not "Apple Partition Map". After i did that everything was smooth sailing. I've also used it with a couple flash thumb drives and it works great. Its amazing how smooth the ffwd/seek is when playing from USB.

The Manual says the unit supports USB drives with maximum 300 folders and 648 files. So i figure, most DivX movies are around 700MB... times 648 = 442GB. anything larger than a 500GB drive for this DivX/DVD Player would be overkill.

The picture: Very vivid, very sharp. I'm extremely impressed. I'm outputting the Component RGB Signal to my Insignia 37" Digital TV, and it looks fantastic. I have some low quality episode rips of "Rescue Me" that are very blotchy on my Macbook @ 1280x800, but playing from the Philips player they look almost DVD quality on my Television. I'm also glad i have room to upgrade in the future with the HDMI and Digital audio outputs.

The menu system isn't too slow, its responsive enough. I hope this unit lasts a long time because i am really enjoying its features. Most of all i am just happy to never have to hook my computer up to the TV anymore to watch a ripped movie or TV show, i can just throw it on a usb flash drive now.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2008
The first one we received didn't work properly .. but this was no problem the seller replaced it straight away and it is brilliant I mean brilliant.. the quality is excellent and it works beautifully on both our UK dvd's and US dvd's

Can't rate it highly enough it was a bargin and the seller was excellent
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2009
Last night, the region-free DVD player that is the backbone of our family's entertainment (being from Slovakia and living in the USA) froze and stopped reading all DVD's- NTSC or PAL. This product was great right till the end, but the fact is that the one year warranty went out just two months ago. This is very likely a case of "built-in obsolescence." When I called the manufacturer, they appologized for the inconvenience- and left us to buy another one. Therefore- let the buyer beware: you may be buying one every year... just after warranty.
on July 24, 2008
Pro: USB 2.0, Decent picture quality, easy all region hack, Low price.
Con: Some firmware issue, no optical out as for most of Phillips.

I have purchased 6 DVP5892/37 from Philips, kept 2 for myself & gave 4 away to friends & family. I love that unit for its performence/price. When my brother wants one more all region hacked 1080P player, I picked up a DVP5990 for $50.99 on sale at BBY online.

Setup was easy but this player got some firmware issues. It can't recognize TV resolution via HDMI & doesn't auto convert to lower resolution. factory setting at 1080P out of the box So you need a 1080P TV to change HDMI setting for 1080i TVs. Composite Video connection & HDMI interferes each other when both are connected to TV.

Video & audio performence is about the same as older DVP5982 but DVP5982 has no above issues.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2009
Tired of watching my Region 2/PAL DVDs on my computer and looking for a better way, I typed in "multiregion" in the search box and came up with this gem. And it couldn't be any easier to use-- unwrap, plug in, attach HDMI cable, put batteries in remote, set screen language to English, and play. I immediately tried one of my German DVDs-- it worked great, without a hitch. Then an American Region 1/NTSC-- ditto. Excellent picture and sound quality. As a bonus, the remote has some discrete buttons for features that are sometimes buried in menus with other DVD players. Highly recommended.

December 9, 2010 addendum: It's still working great, with rather heavy use. Reliable.