Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on November 30, 2010
I purchased both the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) and the Logitech S715i Rechargeable Speaker for iPod and iPhoneto choose one as a travel speaker when I want something more substantial than my ALTEC LANSING iM207 Orbit-MP3. Here is a quick comparison.

-Build quality. Both are very solid and seem like they will hold up well. The Logitech seemed slightly more substantial, but I see no problem with tossing either in a suitcase for traveling. One thing to note, the Philips will accommodate an iPhone 4 in a bumper case while you have to take the phone out of the case for the Logitech.

-Size. While the dimensions don't look that much different between the two, the Logitech is substantially bigger and somewhat heavier. I can't picture carrying the Logitech in a daypack, but it would be doable with the Philips.

-Sound quality. At low volume levels, the Logitech had a slightly fuller sound. At high volume levels operating on battery power the Logitech again had a slight edge. At high volume levels while plugged in, there was no comparison. The Logitech rocked louder and with a much deeper bass. It seemed as though when you unplugged the Logitech that the bass boost was shut off.

In the end I chose the Philips. Since both will be plenty loud for a hotel room where most of my listening would be done, I chose the Philips for it's much smaller size and portability. For poolside where they'll be running off battery, the sound difference wasn't substantial enough to choose the larger Logitech. However, if you're going to be using mainly AC and want the best sound, choose the Logitech. While it's larger than the Philips, it's certainly not too large to bring to a party at a friend's house or similar usage and offers a fuller sound. For air travel and packing in your luggage though, the Philips is a much less bulky package.
44 comments196 of 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2010
Package Type: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was skeptical when I ordered this product: after all, how could something so slim-line and small compare to my full-sized stereo? I was floored. This product not only gives a clear, sharp sound it also holds its own in the bass. My iphone easily pops on and off for easy access, but doesn't slip off (preventing damage to the phone). When there's an incoming call I can answer it and use the speaker feature to leave the phone on the dock or pick it up. When I leave the phone on the dock it resumes my music where I left off before the call. The angle of the phone is easily accessible to change the tunes or utilize the phone. The amount of sound which can actively be produced from the speakers is excellent: Loud and still clear as a bell. The added features include a sleep timer, alarm, and a clock. The apps to run this hot ticket item are completely free! I highly recommend this product for anyone looking for a portable, great sounding iphone-music docking/speaker device.
11 comment46 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 26, 2010
My family loves music and bass is a very important part of it. We tested the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) against our Bose Wave using Michael Jackson's Thriller. We found that the DS7550 had a touch more bass than the Bose Wave, but we could hear more instruments with the Wave. Even though my hubby doesn't think the DS7550 has the best bass he's heard, he says it's good for the size of the unit. As he walked by while I was writing my review, he asked me if he could use the Philips docking speaker with his 4th generation IPod Nano while he paid the bills. Did it matter to him that I had the speaker hooked up to my ASUS laptop listening to my favorite worship music on youtube? I guess not. Two hours later, he returned the speaker. He said it sounded even bassier (is that a word?) when he listened with his Bose mini earbuds.

Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) is designed to be portable. It has a built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery that will last up to 8 hours (we've tested it for 5 hours so far). Included in the box are two, very nice, padded carrying cases...one for the speaker & a smaller one for the AC adapter and the 3.5-mm auxiliary cable. There are three buttons on top of the speaker: On/Off; Volume; Bass (with dbb). You can turn the DBB (dynamic bass boost) on or off. On the back is the stand (pull out on the smaller dk. gray, rubbery piece to open stand), an AUX input, and a 9v connection for the AC adapter. The AUX in allows other electronic devices to be hooked up to the speaker. Right now, I'm listening to my hubby's old IRiver MP3 player. I hooked it up to the speaker's AUX in, using the included auxiliary cable. The other end is hooked into the MP3 player. And, I want to tell you that the sound is absolutely incredible!!!! I love it!!!! Earlier, I had the speaker hooked up to my laptop and listened to music on youtube.

My daughter downloaded the free Fidelio app for her IPod Touch & tried most of the available functions. The check battery function didn't seem to work properly. It showed the battery life at 100% power, but the battery had been in use for 3 hours. The next time she tried to check the battery life, the function was missing. We didn't have time to check it out any further. The alarm worked & has 4 sound settings, birds, church bells, ocean waves and rain forest. The sleep timer also worked. I think it's a useful/fun app; hopefully the battery life check will be updated. We forgot to check the sound settings using the Fidelio app. I'll update my review with our findings when we test the sound setting feature/function.

Our entire family likes the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black). I can visualize lessons in sharing in our future.

UPDATE (1/12/12): I recently received an IPod 4G. I protected my IPod with the OtterBox Defender Series Hybrid Case for iPod touch 4G (Black/Red). Because the DS7550's dock is spring loaded, I am able to dock my IPod 4G with the case on it. I pull the the dock on the Phillips DS7550 forward. (It's a bit frustrating to dock it with the Otterbox case on, but it can be done).
Also the Fidelio app doesn't seem to be as functional as it was with my daughter's IPod 2G. I can't seem to find any reference to the battery life or the sound setting feature mentioned in the product review.

UPDATE (3/5/12): I'M USING THIS WITH OUR KINDLE FIRE. When I stream Amazon movies to our Fire, I hook this speaker to the Fire. It's great!
0Comment34 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 21, 2010
The Itouch is a great MP3 player, but has some awful speakers. This product is perfect for a person on the go. It's lightweight, and the sound it produces is fantastic. I couldn't believe the amount of bass that was being produced. It was very impressive.

The only downside I saw was there was no indication how low the batteries or how long they would last on a charge. It would be nice if they added an LED that would flash when the batteries were low so we would know we need to charge the device.

Other then that small complaint, it's completely worth a buy!
11 comment13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2010
Wow. I played a range of music that included classical (Yo-Yo Ma:cello suite#1 suite, piano trio no 4), jazz from Ella Fitzgerald Chet baker), lounge music, rock from the Beatles to Black eyed peas. I was astounded by the crispness and sharpness that came out of this speaker. I have bought so many portable speakers to have around our home (yes, I love having different type of music to suit the room and my mood). This is by far the best and really not that expensive when you get the kind of output I was hearing. There was no 'tinny-like' rattle when you put the volume up. In fact, the is a bass button and even at the maximum volume there was little distortion. I do recognize that I don't have the full range of music out there that includes hip hop music. However, i do have a large range and could not believe how beautiful the putout was. The sound was still beautiful and audible from over 30 feet away.

It is really easy to use. There is a plug in for charging, and there is little blinking orange light as it is still charging. Wonderful thing is that the speaker, whether charging or not, continued to charge my iPod. Fantastic. Please note that the attachment to the speaker actually rotates outwards to allow you to plug in a thicker iPod like the iPod classic. Three little top buttons: bass on-off, on-off switch, and volume adjustment. The back has two plug in holes, one for charger and one for headphones. There is a little flap that opens out to support the speaker and it has a rubber bottom to ensure a good grip on whatever surface it is placed on.
The size of the speaker Is just a little wider than the length of an iPad, and pretty thin. It comes with a pouch to hold both the speaker and another pouch to hold the plugs.

Please don't waste your money on any other portable speaker. This one is one of the best in the market. It claims to play for 8 hours, but I suspect less when it also charges your iPod. I just love the sound. Beautiful and so satisfying.
I use this product regularly with my current generation iPod touch. Overall I have found it to be well built with excellent sound quality and an attractive design. I was also impressed by the volume which could be achieved without any sound distortion on such a compact device.

When I first opened this up I have to admit I was skeptical about what kind of sound quality/volume it could produce due to the size. I was quite happy to find out I had nothing to worry about and it performed better in this aspect than I was expecting.

I use this daily to listen to music and charge my iPod, and thanks to the convienent size, and included travel case it is a breeze to move it to another room, bring it to work, or pack it along for a trip.

I have only 2 minor nitpicks to point out.

First, I often use this to listen to music from my iPod while going to sleep. I sometimes have trouble getting my iPod to seat properly in the dock without the lights on. I can of course simply plug it in before turning the lights out to work around this, but I think that a simple guide rail of some sort along the sides would be quite helpful and prevent any potential fumbling around trying to connect to the dock.

Second, I have had a few issues using the free app for this dock available on iTunes. I have noticed that the volume will sometimes change to a new setting when first starting up the app regardless of what I have it currently set to, or what it was set to last time it was plugged in. I have also noticed that the app will occasionally change the loop setting to repeat 1 song only. At first I thought I was doing this on accident, as the control to change this setting is on the same screen as the play controls, but after further testing I have discovered that this setting was indeed just changing by itself. These issues with the app can of course be fixed via a free software update in the future so they are not a very big deal.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2011
Overall, a nice sounding unit but if you have an ear for quality sound, this is a bit underwhelming. I'll explain in the Cons section below.

Fidelio PROS:

+ First thing that struck was how 'tiny' this unit is compared to the sound it gives out. You wonder where is this bass coming from (although the bass itself is a bit on the lower side)
+ Sleek looking
+ Tight construction, metal grille - cool looking device
+ Nice sound, not great, not audiophile, but not bad.
+ Used it outside and inside the house.
+ Plays same sound plugged in or not. Other units tend to not when running on battery.
+ Portable - has a rechargeable battery.
+ The kickstand is nice and made the unit stand upright well

Fidelio CONS:

- The sound is ok, just ok. I wish I could hear a little more treble (high side) and a little tighter bass - but given the size of the unit, I can see why it struggles to produce more bass
- Battery ran out quite quickly when I was playing for some time without being plugged in - didn't run the advertised 8 hours for me
- No remote control
- No Bluetooth
- No AirPlay
- The unit along with the hot weather ended up heating up the iPhone 4 pretty quickly and shut the iPhone down with a Temperature warning

All in all, returning it because of the underwhelming sound, the time it took the battery to run out, the lack of a remote, the lack of bluetooth.

Logitech s715

PROS

+ Great wholesome (bordering on audiophile for the price) sound with nice treble/highs and tight bass. Same caliber sound as some high end units.
+ Remote control
+ Just ok looking, a little dry in my opinion - kinda like a boombox from the 80s, 90s
+ Battery life is great
+ Nice bass woofers - not too big but enough to move air and produce good sound

- The bass goes down by design when unplugged
- No bluetooth
- Kickstand has trouble staying up at times.
0Comment26 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 8, 2010
Having used a series of docking speakers for my iPod, and never having been satisfied with the results, I was greatly pleased with the quality of this device. Although quite small in size (but not the smallest), it fills a room with sound. One need not dial up the iPod output to the top setting in order to get sufficient volume. I was impressed with the booming bass, and even more pleased by the lack of high-end distortion.

Once fully charged, this docking station gave me over 8 hours of operation. I was impressed that at the end of the 8 hours, my iPod was fully charged, too.

While I do not own an iPhone, I asked a friend to stop by to test the charging capability. He was impressed by how quickly his phone charged, even when the docking station was not plugged in itself.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 10, 2010
The design is clean and modern and the style goes well with the latest iPods. It will also work with any any other mp3 player or input device through the auxiliary 3.5 mm jack although then it isn't possible to access the app features such as the equalizer and the alarm clock. It also won't recharge a device except through the dock.

The sound compares favorably to my older 10 watt bookshelf system. I even tested it by plugging it into the bookshelf system and the only significant difference is in the comparable lack of stereo separation at close range. From a few feet away and from across the room, there is no discernible difference.

The black neoprene case is nice and there is a separate case that holds the wall-wart that can attach to the main case or be left at home. The dimensions are approximately 12 1/2" long x 4 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" thick. It is readily portable room-to-room but it isn't like a boom-box made for walking around carrying it by a handle and listening to it. Battery life is good--I haven't maxed it out but it works for over six hours.

My only complaints are that the chrome-look trim around the edges is (good-quality) plastic instead of metal and the rubbery material on the base that keeps it from slipping attracts lint and dirt which is hard to remove. The flap on the case is, oddly, as long as the case itself. In addition, I am not impressed with the bass boost at high volume because it overpowers the rest of the sound and causes distortion and vibration but this is more of a matter of taste.

Overall, this is 4.5 stars rounded up to 5. It does what it's supposed to do very well: looks good, sounds good, and the instruction manual isn't necessary to use it. Great for a dorm room, for the nightstand, or to take out by the pool or into the garage.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2010
Do you really want one of these? If you are like me, definitely. My Ipod is getting about ten times more use since I got this portable speaker. I am not an impulse buyer; I like to use what I have and keep my house de-cluttered. This baby gets used!

I travel a lot on business, and I wanted something to make a hotel room a little more friendly. In addition, I wanted a convenient way to listen to my Ipod with my wife--both music and podcasts. I looked at several other Ipod speakers--Klipsch, Bosch, Altec Lansing. The Philips wasn't even on my radar, but was offered through Amazon Vine, pre-release. I was in the market, so I gave it a go. As a disclaimer, I got it for free. As a reverse disclaimer, if there had been a speaker out there that was better in terms of size, sound and portability, I would have gone for it. The Philips stood out.

In addition to being a docking speaker for your Ipod, the Philips Fidelio DS7750 hooks up to your laptop (or just about anything else) through a jack in the rear. It's compatible with other MP3 players. It has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, so you can run it for "up to" 10 hours on a charge--but of course, that depends on the volume. It comes with a small power adapter--120/240 v for those who travel to foreign countries--so you don't have to run on battery except when necessary.

For sound quality, it's really good--as good as you are going to get for a speaker of this size. Whether plugged in or on battery power alone, you can crank up the volume to max without noticeable distortion. Much louder and clearer than my Tivoli Ipal, for which I paid a lot more. Great around the house, on the road, in the office. Nice for those times when you want to share the musical experience with someone else, or take the edge off a stressful day. If you travel a lot and need to fill up a hotel room--a very large hotel room--with nice sound, this will do it. A dorm room--no problem. A bedroom for some romantic music--definitely!! Out on your lawn, in your shop, beside the pool, in the kitchen---yes, yes, yes, and yes. Crisp sound, surprisingly good bass. It has a "bass boost" switch which basically should be on all the time, in my opinion.

Size-wise, it's about 35 cm (13 inches) long, narrower than the width of a medium-sized laptop, and 4 cm (about 1-1/2") thick. Has a clip in the back that pops out so you can stand it up. The build quality is excellent-- metallic speaker fronts rather than plastic, with no foam covering, like some other I-portables. This makes it good for travel; stuffs nicely in a backpack or a carry-on. Comes with nice thick neoprene sleeves, one for the unit, one for the power supply, to keep it safe from surprise drops. Sleek, stylish look that would complement any office desk. Philips obviously put some effort into this: it's quality AND style. If you haven't tried a Philips product before, this is a good place to start.