4.0 out of 5 stars Does well at what I need it to do
Like others, I needed a player that can do bookmarks with Audible books. I also needed the ability to do RhapsodyToGo. This can do both, and does a decent job with both. It was confusing figuring out the specs - but this player does NOT have a micro-SD slot, so I'm really glad I got the 16 GB.

PROs
It syncs just fine with Rhapsody (including Playlists) and...
Published on June 20, 2011 by Amazon Customer

there are bugs in the software, it hiccups and turns off suddenly, locking itself without any input from me. and the battery won't hold a charge. the earbuds will not stay in my ears no matter how hard i wedge them in, and they sound mediocre. i regret the purchase.
Published on January 21, 2013 by theatre organ afficionado

1.0 out of 5 stars the internal battery went south as soon as i used it the first time, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Philips GoGear MP4 player SA3ARA16K Ariaz 16GB with FullSoundTM (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does well at what I need it to do, June 20, 2011
Amazon Customer (Honolulu, Hawaii, USA) - See all my reviews

PROs
It syncs just fine with Rhapsody (including Playlists) and with AudibleManager.
Can bookmark Audible audio books.
Songbird is OK, but nothing special.
Can be operated by feel.
Output is high enough to drive my Aux inputs in car and office nicely.
Does well with FLAC and high bit-rate WMAs
Has fast and slow playback options (but see CONs for limits)
Battery life is pretty good - but nowhere near the 36 hrs advertised.
Fair price.

CONs
Some things can only be done when track is actually playing. Example Bookmarks for each book are stored separately, and can only access them when that book is NowPlaying.
Sometimes "stutters" when I start playing audio book. Stop and rewind a bit, and it's fine again.
Songbird is OK, but nothing special.
Fast and Slow playback work, but only have 1 speed for each, and Fast is faster than I'd like. It would be awesome to have a chose of 2 or 3 fast playback speeds.
Uses MiniUSB, not MicroUSB (minor point, but i thought we've gotten beyond MiniUSB).

I really don't care about video or using it for photos, so I won't comment on these.

1.0 out of 5 stars A PIECE OF SHIT, September 23, 2013
Zachery Cormican (Grand Rapids, USA) - See all my reviews
I Bought this product on June 29, 2013 and got it on July 5th, 2013. This device has been giving me some issues. It won't stay charged for very long, and it keeps Deleting all the music it had on it. I'm constantly putting music back on the device at least every 3 weeks. this device is defective, and I would suggest people not to buy it. Unless you want to deal with the same issues I have.

2.0 out of 5 stars needs help, April 4, 2012
So I have gone through many mp3 players and this one is mediocre at best it is slow it only shows about a third of my album art and it has frozen up on me three time in two weeks of use And the reset takes forever.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very mediocre product, February 21, 2012
Assaf Rahav (Lanham, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Has a very slow CPU, everything happens in slow motion (scrolling, menu navigation)
Low resolution display
The Philips Songbird software is rather poor and non intuitive
The player got bricked during a firmware update, but the recovery feature did work

All in all a very poor device, however since it is cheap it does do the only thing I really wanted out of it - play music at the gym without having to care too much about it getting damaged. A disposable MP3 player, for those situations you don't want to risk your smartphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars why does Amazon carry this product? and why does Philips ignore customer service?, January 14, 2014
I bought this player and initially liked it for a more robust sound than my earlier Philips mp3 player. However, the device failed and I couldn't get it restored. I was told by customer service to take it to a repair place which would cost more than buying a new device. It was only 6 months old.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in 7 months, September 1, 2013
I cannot recommend this unit. The problem is that when the unit is allowed to run until the battery is depleted (a commonplace occurrence) the unit seizes up and it is very difficult to get the battery to take a charge. I was able to get it running after the first incident, but not the second. And it's not a simple matter to keep this unit from exhausting the battery because it's very easy to turn it on by mistake - the last time it happened when my cat curled up and fell asleep on it. And since the manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days, they are of no help - even though the first unit was returned DOA and this is the second time I have the exact same problem in 7 months.

I did not buy this item through Amazon - I wish I had because then I would have had some recourse. I would only recommend this item if you can get an extended warranty with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery life is a joke., July 14, 2013
I think the most I get out of the battery from a full charge is maybe two hours. This item sucks, I should have just paid more for an ipad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but be aware, April 10, 2012
This player is great but not out of the box. This is the second of this model of player that I have the pleasure of dealing with. The software version on the mp3 player is very outdated and needs to be updated. This sounds extremely easy and it would appear that the songbird software they provide will make this process easy as well. Windows 7 requires the absolute latest version of songbird software (finding this was a chore). You will have to uninstall previous version and reboot before installing new version (have no idea why but only way it worked for me). Then you click on update software in songbird and it will fail. You have to do this weird key combo on device while it is connected to computer to load new software. I believe (found this on the web) the combo was to hold the volume up button while you turn on device while it is plugged into computer. It finally worked and took care of all the weird behavior the device was exhibiting. This has been a solid mp3 player after it was flashed.
I would buy again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unit is a Big Disappointment, February 21, 2014
I bought this unit because I like the amount of storage that it has. However, the unit locked up on me while loading music. The Songbird software is a joke in a half and was worthless when trying to export music to the unit. I was able to load music with Windows Media Player but the unit froze after transferring some songs. And when I connect the unit to my PC, and fire up Media Player, the unit displays a transfer image on it's screen and freezes. This unit has been a big disappointment. Please read all reviewings on this unit before buying it.