5.0 out of 5 stars The other lights help - this light works!!!
Published on May 1, 2005 by Fred Worth

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution, SAD sufferers, full-spectrum works better for me
I have used the original Apollo Light, full spectrum/10,000 lux for around 10 years, and it always amazed me how well it worked. Even this year, I began to have difficulty waking up in the morning, and my depression set in, at the end of September. I began using my 10,000 lux, and the next day, I woke up more easily, and felt better. I decided to try the GoLite Blue,...
Published on October 22, 2008 by Adonis_7

5.0 out of 5 stars The other lights help - this light works!!!, May 1, 2005
Fred Worth "Fred Worth" (Burnsville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I have had SAD all my life (I am 55). in 1996 I discovered that I had it and was laughed at because so little information was out there at the time. We had always thought SAD meant being depressed because of the holidays and lost childhood things. I bought a 2,500 lux light which had UVs and had to be so close to get any benefit that I would frequently have a grid pattern on my face. In 1998 I bought 3 Satelite SAD lights and they helped quite a bit, but they only eased my symptoms. Of course that was better than what I had had. I would use them for up to 3 hours a day! In 2005 the bulbs became in-effective so I was looking to replace them.

I found the blue light information on the web and became curious. I found a local Minneapolis dealer for the light (sorry Amazon, should-a checked here first!) and bought it in part because of the 30-day guarantee. If it didn't help, if it was like the "visor", I could take it back and still get the replacement bulbs.

In 2 days I knew that this was nothing like the lights. This thing works!! I was alert at work. I used the lights for 30 minutes in the darkness (for contrast) and I can not describe the difference! I woke up refreshed, I started sleeping through the night. In the first 2 months I had this light I lost 18 pounds because I did not have the cravings I had during the SAD episodes. From what I understand this is because my melatonin is being regulated correctly.

After the first month I also noticed that after 1/2 hour my whole upper body would get a tremendous sense of well-being, bordering on euphoria. At first this caused me to be edgy and not sleep well if I went much beyond the 1/2 hour so I backed off.

About 3 months into the therarpy I increased the time to 45 miutes and felt that euphoria without getting edgy or losing sleep.

At 4 months the euphoria felt so good and I was in no hurry that Saturday morning so I doubled the time and spent the last hour of the therapy in total euphoria. That's nice enough, but later that day I noticed that my anxiety and depression were gone! My ever present companions were not there! I did the same thing that Sunday and my mind was set that I needed 1 1/2 hours for the rest of my life (unless I move to a southern state, which Minnesota is not). (NOTE: the manufacturer does not recommend going past 1/2 hour).

For the first time at work I did not have anxiety making me miserable. This freed me to get much more work done. That Monday after using the light I got up and walked for 42 minutes, called into work and said that I was not coming in until 9. I did that all week!

Spending this much time on light therapy will sound like an extreme to most people and most sufferers of SAD. My condition is more extreme than any I have read about so my requirements may be more drastic than most. I have no desire to feel the SAD symptoms again. I have no desire to be held back in my carreer like SAD did for me. If you don't have SAD I don't think you can understand this logic.

The mechanics: At first I used SAD in a dark room like I did with the SAD lights. This worked but was very unpleasant on my eyes. With the lights I could close my eyes and get some bennefit until the pupils did whatever they have to do to get going. I tried the light in a lighted room and it did not work for me though I have read that it is supposed to. I can not seem to read paper and do this light. I settled on using my computer early in the AM and that has worked fine. Also, if I want to watch a TV show I pull the curtains and place the light on my chest as close to my eyes as is comfortable. I have read that this light may even work for blind SAD sufferers because it does not use the sight receptors. I would like to see a study on that!

The other SAD lights relieved my symptoms. This light works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why medicate when I can illuminate?, January 22, 2006
This review is from: Philips GoLite P1 Blue Spectrum Light Therapy Device (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is my first experience with light therapy and the GoLite really works for me, both to alleviate SAD and adjust my Circadian rhythms. I love the lightness and size of this unit and have had it about a year (2 winters); I've traveled with it twice and it also helped with jet lag and the time difference.

My main issue is adjusting my circadian rhythms. Waking up in the mornings was agonizing, then I would drag for at least 3 hours. And though I had no trouble sleeping once I went to bed, getting composed for sleep was a problem. I'ved used the light seasonally early morning for 15 minutes. Now, I am fully awake once I open my eyes and at night sometimes I will fall asleep like a child -- one moment awake and next thing it's morning. The Go-lite is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and efficient, October 2, 2005
A. Donoghue (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a light that provided sufficient brightness for treatment of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) but didn't take up half of my kitchen breakfast bar. This very compact light sits on my bar unobtrusively and does its job. This is the first time I've used a light for SAD and I believe it is working (my literature search on lights and effectiveness indicated that this light should work well).

I do like the timer and intensity features - easy to start, easy to set. The light folds up to a small size that fits in a nicely-crafted carrying case. The electrical connection is universal which will allow me to take it on foreign country trips. Additionally, it truly is light enough (weight-wise!) and small enough to fit easily into my briefcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my life back!, December 7, 2005
LL "llofprinceton" (Princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this on impulse--after feeling lousy for several years, and noticing that winters were worse than summers. After years of treatment by a slew of doctors, I figured this might help a little bit and at least it wasn't more pills to take. Within a couple of days I was waking up, with energy, in the morning with my family, not two or three hours later--which always happened once the winter months set in. Once I was up, I was able to get things done, not just crawl back in bed under the covers and watch TV and nap most of the day. No one could believe the change in me--so drastic and so quick!

I grew up in sunny Southern California and my winter illnesses started shortly after we moved to Seattle. Since then we moved to the East Coast and it's been problematic here as well. I would have terrible months with no relief from migraines and "chronic fatigue" (what the doctors say when they can't figure out what is wrong). Lately I had noticed I would start feeling a little better in the spring and summer. Since I dealt with the SAD and did some other treatments for the migraines, this past summer I was able to put the GoLite away and had my best health in years! But as soon as the days got short, my energy fell rapidly and my family had to remind me to use the light box again. If I skip a few days because of early-morning events or a short trip, I notice it.

I start with 30 minutes a day, but once I get going on a good schedule, I can often go down to 20 minutes until I slack off the schedule for a while, and then have to start back at 30 and work myself down. I put my GoLite on my computer desk and use it in the mornings when I check email and read articles online.

I've tied a 20" piece of string on to the cord connector so I can easily pull the string towards my face to make sure I'm at the optimal distance from the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 years of insomnia & DSPS comes to an end., November 26, 2005
Sev "stisev" (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Before you read my review, it is imperative that you understand the reviewer. I am about the biggest skeptic when it comes to these kinds of devices, so believe me when I say this has fixed my life.

As someone who has suffered from chronic insomnia and DSPS (delayed sleep phase syndrome) for most of his life, I can tell you that I've followed every suggestion posted on the Internet. All the teas, exercise routines, etc..

I even took OTC medications for years (no prescription), but they didn't really help the root issue--my sleeping disorder.

I ordered this item from Costco online for $135 shipped and taxed and after using it for a couple of days, I immediately saw the results. I actually felt TIRED at night and began sleeping within minutes, instead of hours before.

After months of usage, my sleeping routine has been fixed. Instead of sleeping at 4 AM, I now easily fall asleep at 11 or later, if I choose.

I do wake up in the middle of the night for a few minutes, but promptly fall back asleep.

If I could rate this product a 10/5, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy with this SAD light!, January 21, 2006
I have used light therapy for years to combat my SAD, but this year has been so much better than before. I bought this device in order to try blue light therapy for a change of pace and because I wanted something smaller than the huge box I had been using before. The unit worked perfectly from the very beginning. I have since recommended it to several friends and family members, all of whom have had the same experience as I had.

I highly recommend this device if you have SAD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, compact, and durable, December 15, 2005
This light is quite bright, casting light sky blue (ie the blue you see when you stare away from the sun on a sunny day).

It's much more compact and convenient than the bulb unit I used to use, which did not fit well on my desk and was generally obtrusive. Certainly you couldn't travel with it (the GoLite comes with a travel pouch and can run on batteries, optionally).

A nice testament to the GoLite's quality is that I have several times knocked it off of my desk onto a tile floor and it still works perfectly. The seams where parts join are still tightly sealed (something I wish I could say of my cell phone) and the hinged cover is just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Light Therapy Device I've Found..., October 12, 2005
TD "TD" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I sought out this lamp specifically for help with SAD. I noticed that I felt better, uplifted, within 15 minutes of use every time. This is the best light therapy lamp I have ever used. I've had this lamp for 30 days. I've used it everyday. I started out using it in 15 minute increments up to 2.5 hours per day. The manufacturer only suggests 15-30 minutes, but I have had a good experience using the lamp this way.

You can adjust the light intensity and I would actually recommend using it at 10% the first time, and work your way up to 100%. I usually use the lamp at 10% in the mornings and 100% in the afternoons. I like to use this lamp while either watching tv or working on my computer. I've reduced my usage to 1 hour per day in 30 minute increments. I find that I don't need the lamp as much as I did when I first got it, and I've been feeling better consistently.

As a note of caution, sometimes I experienced very slight nausea when I used the lamp upon awakening without eating. That has always disappeared as soon as I turned the lamp off. Otherwise, I never experienced any side effects.

This lamp is not helpful for tasking, i.e. reading, sewing or working on a computer. If you are looking for a tasking lamp, this is not the one. For tasking I got the BlueMax by Full Spectrum Solutions - excellent lamp! And, a nice supplement to the GoLite.

I would highly recommend this lamp for use with SAD. I have found other lamps "helpful" with SAD, but this lamp is EFFECTIVE with SAD.

The only thing I would like to change about this lamp, is it would be nice if it could operate from batteries recessed within the lamp, i.e. for travel. A battery pack is available as an accessory, but the lamp itself does not hold batteries.

TrueSun had the best price for $182 for this lamp, opposed to Apollo Health at $250. Nice people, and helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver, October 15, 2006
While I have not experienced any of the technical difficulties of other reviews, I HAVE benefitted tremendously from this little light of mine. I bought it a year ago having found the adjustment from life in CA to life in Seattle a difficult one. The long, dark nights had just completely thrown my body's internal clock into a tailspin and my energy levels were all over the map.

Within a day of the first use, I was back to a normal sleep schedule and my energy was regulated for the first time in years (i.e. waking up normally in the morning without dragging, not crashing at 2-3pm and then rebounding wide awake at 10pm). This light is a great tool for anyone who knows that their body just doesn't seem to adjust well to the short days and long nights of fall and winter, and I have not for a second regretted purchasing it. I have recommended it to a number of friends and coworkers and all of them have raved about the wonderful effects of the light, especially considering the pricier and riskier medicine-based alternatives for SAD and circadian rhythm issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY worthwhile investment in finding relief from SAD., December 5, 2006
M. Swift (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
I have to say, I was pretty skeptical about purchasing this. I've been affected by SAD - primarily in the form of sluggishness and lack of motivation - for as long as I can remember, and before I even knew what SAD even was. I'd never really done any research into how to treat the problem until last winter, when my energy was at an all-time low and I was having trouble just staying awake during the afternoon. I looked into various light-therapy options, and the GoLite seemed to have a good deal of scientific evidence to back up its claims. I really wasn't willing to spend $180 on something that would end up in the trash in a month, so I did a fair amount of homework trying to determine whether this was a legitimate treatment option or something out of a "miracle cure" infomercial. The Apollo website has some great information on how the GoLite works with your body's daily rhythms and also offers you the ability to plug in your own specific sleep/wake profile - which in turn tells you how to best use the light to meet your needs. Even with all of that info, I was still leery - but I decided to give it a try anyway.

To my relief and, frankly, amazement, the light delivered on its promises. I followed the schedule recommended for my profile, and within about 2 to 3 days started noticing a real boost in my energy level - particularly during the afternoon, which had been my real "blah" time. I used the light daily for the better part of last winter and started up with it again this fall, and it really has done wonders. The unit seems to be well made, is easy to use, and is nice and compact. Whether the light will work for others may depend upon the individual, but my experience with the GoLite has been excellent, and I would highly recommend to others who suffer from SAD. I don't write many product reviews, but I felt this one was truly worth sharing. Hope that helps.

Rate and Discover Movies