4.0 out of 5 stars New Features, Modern Design, LED Light
This Philips Wake-Up Light with Colored Simulation alarm clock/bedside lamp is a eco-friendly addition to the sunrise alarm clock line because it has an LED light that never needs replacement, at least for 20 years.

Published 22 months ago by Princess

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Philips's best wake-up light
Published 17 months ago by D. Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars New Features, Modern Design, LED Light, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation, White (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The light a *cool* white light when turned on fully, or you get a cool peachish glow when it's on low. The light is too cool for my taste and I actually prefer the light from the older model because of it's warmer glow produced by a halogen bulbs. Also, the light seems to be aimed forward, so I get more shadows in my room, along with the cooler color. It's like the difference between the LED Christmas lights and the regular (incandescent) lights--one has an odd glow (LED) and the traditional is warmer and more natural looking. I truly wish LEDs looked better because they use so much less energy. If you like the light of the LED, this might just be the perfect wake-up light for you because of all it's awesome features.

The colored sunrise/sunset is closer to an amber orange than reddish. It's an odd color, but it's nicer than plain white. The best thing about this particular model is that the sunrise can be timed at between 20 & 40 minutes (previous model Philips HF3471/60 was limited to 30 minutes). Also, the dusk simulation can go as low as 5 minutes which is great for people who read until dozey.

If you like to snooze, this model has a pretty cool feature: you can touch any part of the face and it will snooze for 9 minutes. Because it's touch sensitive, so you don't have buttons on the front, but more of a touch screen-type face. There are buttons around the rim for setting the alarm and beginning the dimming process.

Another great feature is the clock face settings. I prefer to sleep in a very dark room and can get bothered by any light, including alarm clock faces. The Philips light gives you four options brightness, and their dim is quite dim. Plus it's a mellow orange, which is the color that is the least bright in a dark room. It also auto-dims, so when your lights are out, the clock face automatically dims. Smart, clever design. The time font looks fuzzier than the older model, and at night it is really pleasant. Side by side, I prefer this model's fuzzier type face.

It has 5 sounds to wake up to: bird chirps, jungle sounds, New-age sounds, some lovely Satie-style piano and wind chimes. All of these choices are appealing. It begins quietly, then gradually increases in volume. The sound choices are all so mellow that even at the loudest setting it's way better than any beep.

I've used these dawn-simulation alarms for 16 years and owned two BioBrite Sunrise Clocks, a Verilux Lamp/Alarm clock, an old Philip's model and the Philips HF3471/60. Philips is the brand I continue to go to because of their quality, design and warranty. BioBrite and Verilux just couldn't compare in either quality or features, and especially in longevity.

This newest Philips model has a few awesome features:
* Touch snooze, you can literally touch any part of the front of the light
* Modern, cool design, that is bright enough to read by so you don't need another lamp
* Philips makes the best wake-up simulation lights, this model being the best to date because of it's user-friendly features.
* This model is very intuitive and easy to set as soon as you plug it in
* Colored sunrise/sunset
* Two easily set and distinctly separated alarm settings
* 20-year LED bulb

The negatives:
* I dislike the color emitted from the LED light, the white is too cool for my taste. It's a deal breaker.

Everyone in my house has a Philips wake-up light and we all prefer them to traditional alarms. You don't need more than one of these per room, especially with this model which has two alarm time settings. Also, I've never had to replace a single Philips halogen bulb (previous models) and I own two older styles of Philips' wake-up lights.

This lamp is an expensive investment, but apparently the LED bulb is supposed to last 20 long years. I'd recommend this model ONLY IF you like the color that white LED lights emit. Otherwise, I'd recommend an older Philips model. They have fewer features, but a warmer glow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beating those dark winter mornings, September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I live in Seattle, which means I can go months at a time without ever seeing sunlight. Starting around late-September, I start waking up in the dark. By the time November hits, I wake up in the dark, go to work in the dark, spend the day inside an office building, and go home in the dark. It can be depressing.

I bought the Philips goLITE BLU Light Therapy Device a few years ago to see if it could help with the winter blues, and I was amazed at how well it works. It is like a concentrated shot of sunshine that wakes my body up in the morning and gets me ready for the day. I love it, and have learned to trust in these Philips light devices.

I have been wanting one of these "dawn alarm clocks" for awhile now to help with another problem; waking up in the pitch dark. No matter what time I go to bed, or how many hours I sleep, my body tends to reject the idea that it should be getting up when it is as dark as the inside of a closet. I have to put my alarm clock across the room and drag myself out of bed. It doesn't make for fun mornings. Could Philips help me again?

After using this "Philips Wake-up Light" for about a week know, I am happy to say that it is equally awesome. This is exactly what I have been wanting. Somehow, waking up in a lit room makes all the difference. And I dearly, dearly love the slow brightening. This isn't a sudden shock to your system, like someone flicking on the light switch. Your body is brought naturally out of sleep with a rising light level, so by the time you open your eyes it feels like it is time to get up.

There are plenty of options on this wake-up light, and I think everyone will need to fiddle with it awhile to see what works for them. The first time I used it, I set the light to full brightness and had it aimed for my face. It is bright!! Glaring!! So I ended up moving it across the room, and aiming the light at the far wall so that the light appears more natural and reflects off the wall. You can set the duration for a couple of different times. I haven't found much difference personally between the 30 and 20 minute settings. I suppose it depends on how light sensitive you are.

Along with the light, there are a couple of different alarm sounds, including a radio. The sounds are OK ... some bird song, a little white noise, some wind chimes, jungle sounds, and a couple of music pieces. I have been using the bird song, which I like. But the sounds were something I was disappointed with. I have another alarm clock that slowly raises the volume of the sound the same way this wake-up light slowly increases the brightness. It seems like a no-brainer to connect the two, so that the nature sounds come in slowly with the light. But that option is not available.

I also found programming the clock to be a bit of a pain. Like many modern instruction manuals, there are few written instructions, just images to guide you through the process. It took me awhile of tapping buttons to figure out how to get the clock and alarm set, and what my options are. It isn't as intuitive as it could be. But once it is set, it is set, so this is only a minor headache at the beginning.

There are some other cool features here. I love the touch-to-snooze feature. It almost makes it too easy to head back to bed! And I haven't played around with the "dusk" mode yet, as I generally don't have the same problem going to sleep as I do waking up. But it seems like a good idea. The light is definitely bright enough to read by, and I could see reading in bed while the light slowly dims as a good way to get sleepy.

So a few minor quibbles, but over all awesome. This is one of those devices I wish I had got years ago. It has improved my gloomy Seattle mornings immensely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Philips's best wake-up light, February 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I first tried another model of Philips wake-up light, the HF3485, over two years ago. I absolutely loved it and still use it every day. Unfortunately, they no longer make it. I have also tried the Hf3470, which I didn't like nearly as much as the HF3485, but it is much cheaper and better than this HF3520. If you've never used a wake-up light before, you will probably be very happy with this one, but having used the other models, I was very disappointed.

Here are the problems:

*The alarm on the other wake-up lights is switched on by raising a little lever. That wasn't an ideal switch, but it was much better than what they've come up with on this "eyeball light." On this model, the two different alarms are switched on and off by pushing a button. The problem is that these buttons are tiny and hidden among all the other indistinct buttons, so while you are fiddling to turn the light up or the volume down, it would be easy to inadvertently hit one of the alarm buttons. In just a couple of days, I did this twice without noticing it (after that, I did it again, but I was watching for it by then).

*All the controls are very tiny and hard to read.

*Setting the time or alarms is not at all intuitive. If you've never used one of these before, you'll need the manual.

*The old models used a halogen bulb, but this one uses an LED. That's great for energy savings, but it just doesn't seem as bright, and the light isn't nearly as cozy. When the halogen bulbs on the old model are dim, they cast a very relaxing and flattering golden glow. When the light is dim on this one, it's an awkward red-orange. It's rather reminiscent of being in a dark room. Or a submarine.

*The sounds are not particularly pleasing. I thought I'd enjoy the ocean one, but the seagulls sound angry and aggressive, like they're fighting over something dead that washed up on the beach.

Additional problems that the old models also had:

*The face of the clock and the menu items are set into the light. This makes it very difficult to see when the light is on. I always have to shield my eyes from the light just to see what time it is.

*The sound effects cannot be used with the dusk function. On this model, I was a bit confused by the manual, because it said you can go to sleep to "sounds," but they must mean just the radio; there is no way to turn on the sound effects except as part of the alarm.

*The sound isn't very good.

Overall, this isn't an awful product, but it's the highest-price one I've seen yet, and it doesn't offer any benefits over the other models. The concept of waking up to a gradually brightening lights is FANTASTIC. It was a life changer for me. Waking up to an alarm seems barbaric now. But I would recommend one of the "upright" models of Philips's wake-up lights over the eyeball models.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, December 10, 2012
I really did my homework on this one and weighed the pros and cons against the other models as well as competition's offerings. In the end, I went out on a limp and gave this one a shot and so far I am impressed.

Initial observations were that it seemed to be of a solid build quality with just the right amount of features for what I need. The instructions are pretty straight forward and if you've ever used a digital clock in your life you should be able to work your way through this with ease.

The first morning however, I did not awake to the light. Instead, I had birds chirping ridiculously loudly in my ear and a blinding light in my barely open eyes.... Ok, not what I was looking for at all.

Ok, I went back and tuned down the volume and increased the duration of the increasing light.
2nd morning a little better response. I awoke to the light, but it was already at almost peak brightness and then the birds started in.
(I figured I would give it another shot without making changes this time)
3rd morning significantly better. I realized I am training myself to become more sensitive to the light and my body is responding to the recreated sunrise better.

Some additional findings.
1. You have to be either facing the light or laying on your back with the light close enough to your peripheral to penetrate your eyelids and wake you naturally.
2. If you go to bed overtired or do not get enough sleep, this light WILL NOT work for you. I have tried it and found that I didn't wake up until the shrieking of my backup alarm on my cell phone and then I was being blinded and scream at by birds.
3. The 2nd Alarm is most likely useless for two people. I got all excited thinking she could use it as well, as she gets up an hour after I do. The problem is, in our queen bed, the light cannot reach from my nightstand to her eyes to have any effect on her waking up naturally.
4. Most of the sounds suck. There are only 3 that will serve as calming enough to fall asleep to or to wake up to naturally.

---I will update with more as time goes by----

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive review, November 1, 2013
Chris (Lansing, MI) - See all my reviews
First off, many of these reviews sound a bit fishy, as if they are `fake' reviews made by the manufacturer or whatever to sell the product. This is not, this is an actual user of the actual product and I have actually rated it 5 stars. I'll start by going over the features then list the pros and end with the cons and wrap up with a final impression.

Features:

All the advertised features above are present so I won't bother going over those. This is more for the `ins and outs' of it. The device itself has a `touch screen' like front bottom portion. All of the controls are there and don't show themselves unless your finger is about ¼ of an inch from the surface of the light. Once there they light up. There is a -, menu, select and + button listed horizontally across the bottom in that order. When you get near the device they light up with an intensity to match the clock face. The clock face has an intensity setting from 1-4, which will automatically adjust UP as the room becomes brighter. For example a contrast setting of 1 helps you get to sleep but doesn't help you see the clock face at, say, 2 in the afternoon, so the auto adjusting feature I consider that a bonus. The light itself has an intensity setting from 1-20. On the lower settings it is a very dim red glow similar to the red of a sunrise (or set) and as it increases it steadily goes to bright white. Not the white you'd expect from a light but the kind of white of a sunny day. Picture a piece of paper outside on a cloudless August day. You can also adjust the `wakeup time' which is the time between program start and the alarm. The default is 30 minutes so if you wake up at 6AM at 5:30 it will start at intensity 1 and `step up' in intensity until it hits your intensity setting and it spaces this `step up' out over the `wakeup time' that you select. It ranges from 20 minutes to 40. It also includes an audible alarm of 6 different types. 1 is the radio, the other 5 are various combinations ranging from light woods birds/forest sounds to nature sounds with light music overlaid. You can also adjust the volume. These sounds do not play until the alarm time is reached. In other words, it doesn't play during the `wakeup time' period. It also has a snooze function. Simply touching the face of the clock turns the sounds off for 9 minutes but leaves the light on and after the 9 minutes, the sounds start again. The light/clock includes 2 different alarms you can set as well as an FM radio (as alluded to previously). A final note is that it also includes a "dusk" function. By activating the dusk function by pressing the button on the side the exact opposite happens than what happens with the wakeup time. It starts bright and eventually fades to 1 then turns off. This very much simulates the evening.

Pros:

I noticed a huge change the very first morning I used it. Instead of the harsh bleating of an alarm clock your body first starts to notice the increased light then your consciousness notices the sounds and eventually you're awake. This is VERY similar to waking up while you're rustic camping, if you've ever done so. So much so that at first I thought I was back in my tent at Yellowstone. That is really the only way I can describe it. I also liked how the light changed from dim red to bright white as it got brighter. Lights I've had in the past do not do that, you just get a more intense version of the same color light.

Cons:

This light is NOT meant to treat SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) being that it only puts out 300 lux at 20 in. and light therapy requires at least 10,000 lux. That aside, it can be used in conjunction with a medical grade light box (such as the SAD Light Therapy Box - Alaska Northern Lights- North Star 10,000) as a comprehensive approach. That is what I have done and it seems to work well. You also may have problems using it if you're married and you each wake up at different times as it has a tendency to light up the entire room. As brought up by others, you can't completely turn off the clock face but the lowest setting is pretty darn dim anyway. Finally when you click the alarm off you have to immediately turn it back on again, just like with the old-school alarm clocks.

Final thoughts:

Overall I believe, considering the price and its effects, the purchase was a very good value. I have always struggled with the `up and at-em' routine and even went to the point of drinking energy drinks as soon as I woke up to no avail. Like I said, the very first day I used it I noticed a difference. Within 10 minutes of waking up I was wrestling with the dog. No joke. I have combined it with the use of a light box (see above for which type) and it has done wonders for my mood and energy level. The minor inconveniences I noted above are just that, minor, and I enjoy the features and ability to have a sunrise and sunset `on demand' as I work very long days and during the winter months I am usually up before the sun and down after the sun as the saying goes. The first week I set a `regular' alarm clock as a backup to click off 15 minutes after this one in case it didn't work and not once did I have to rely on it, nor have I had to use the snooze feature. Like I said, entirely different waking experience and if I had the $$ I would buy one for each of my family as a present this Christmas. Hopefully this review helped you sort things out with this model as to what exactly it does, it's pros and cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver!, September 15, 2013
If you just want to know if this lamp is effective and whether I recommend it, the answer is YES!!!

If you want to know why I say so, read on:
For the first time in years I am able to get up on time and have energy in the mornings! My ability to sleep through alarms is legendary among my family, friends, and roommates. I generally set 8 or more alarms and manage to sleep through all of them, often for over an hour without ever waking up. I have tried music alarms, annoying buzzer alarms, phone alarms, even "never late" alarms that are supposed to be impossible to sleep through. When I did wake up I was always groggy often for over an hour and had a very hard time getting moving. I finally set my bed facing east under my big bedroom window and made myself sleep with the blinds open so the sun would help me wake up, but the city lights coming through the window at night made it difficult to fall asleep and even when I did sleep, I did not wake feeling rested. Also, if it was overcast outside I would not wake up to my alarms. I recently moved to a new city (where I do not get sun streaming through my windows in the morning) and started graduate school, and I could not afford to continue this pattern of sleeping through alarms. Since I got the Wake-up Light I have yet to sleep through my alarm. It is truly a miracle! Where before I had a hard time getting out of bed by 8 and remained groggy until I'd been at work for over an hour, I now wake up between 5am and 6am (usually waking just before the alarm goes off) and I practically bounce out of bed, even if I only got 3 or 4 hours of sleep (I have chronic insomnia, so this happens more often than not). The sunset function has also helped me with my insomnia, allowing me to make my room a calm and peaceful place as I wind down for bed.

I used to use the sunrise simulator on the sunlamp that I used for seasonal depression, but the light was too intense, and I often woke with a headache. And if the head of the lamp wasn't turned just right or if I turned away from it, I did not get sufficient light to wake me up. The full-face light on Phillips lamp is gentle (no headaches), but very effective. It lights the whole room, so even if I turn away from it in the night, I still get at least some of the effect. I still set a second alarm, just in case I don't wake up to the "nature sounds" on the lamp, but I've yet to sleep past my back-up, which is still a vast improvement.

Overall, if you have problems getting to sleep or problems waking p, GET THIS LAMP!

3.0 out of 5 stars Realistic sunrise simulation offset by lack of other features, October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Philips HF3520/60 light meets one of its promises - a fairly realistic simulation of a sunrise that can prove useful in waking up. What it doesn't do as well is to do much else, as an alarm clock, radio, or seasonal light. 3 stars for a still-useful device that misses on a few fronts.

Having used the portable Philips GoLite for circadian reset purposes while traveling - most sleep doctors will tell you bright light exposure upon waking really helps - I was eager to try a full spectrum light for home use. The results from the HF3520/60 are mixed.

What it does really well is to mimic a sunrise. It is a gentle but effective way to wake up, starting at red, progressing through orange and yellow to white. Really quite neat, and unique among any light boxes currently on the market.

What it doesn't do as well is to function as anything else. The alarm clock is ok, but as other reviewers have pointed out the buttons are far, far too small - you risk knocking it off your night stand trying to push them, and setting the alarm isn't particularly intuitive. The sounds on the alarm clock aren't graduated, nor are there many of them; in general, something like the alarm on the Zeo Mobile provides a much more pleasant audio wake up if the light doesn't do so, and it's odd that Philips didn't take this into account while designing the HF3520.

It's also disappointing that there's no AM radio or 2.5mm headphone jack to allow external devices. For more audio options than the weak FM radio, Philips clearly wants consumers to purchase the more expensive HF3550, with the presumption that they own an Iphone 4 or below to pipe in audio. It's theoretically possible to buy a third-party FM modulator for a workaround, but that's an awful lot of effort to put in to achieve the same functionality in an expensive device that most cheap $20 alarm clocks provide out of the box.

Most importantly, even at full intensity the 300 lux light is enough to wake up most people but is far too weak to provide the recommended light dosage for morning exposure. Putting this side-by-side with the older 10000 lux Britelite 6 is like comparing the sun to a candle. Even the little GoLite puts out a far more powerful lux than this. As such, it really isn't useful for anything more than just waking you up, and that's a shame.

3 stars for the narrow but useful niche it occupies. A neat way to get your eyes open but not much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great - looks better than previous models, October 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have and have used both the HF3470 and HF3471 (my review for the last one with recap of both: http://www.amazon.com/review/R28O0NLYXIOR5B/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm). I will never EVER go back to a non wake-up light alarm clock. I'm usually cheap with this sort of stuff, but this is WORTH IT.

This model addresses some of my concerns with previous models.

- This one actually LOOKS like a sunrise. The bottom part doesn't like up (looks like sun over the horizon), and it starts coming on first in a reddish shade, then shifting to more yellow. Now...I don't think this makes my wake-up experience any better, but it is nice to look at.

- 2 alarm settings!! yay!!

- Still no auto-reset or MTWThF/weekend setting for alarms. Boo.

- Much more aethetically pleasing than previous models. The others weren't ugly, but it was kind of like "what's that thing?". Now it's more like "oooooh what's THAT thing??". It looks cool even before people know what it is (if you're in the habit of showing off your alarm clock). Even the numbers look good.

- They added a few more sounds that you can wake up to (besides radio). I still like the birds the best, but the others are nice. FM radio gets very good reception and sounds decent.

- The LCD display has more dimming settings (I like mine really dim so it's not distracting at night).

- The buttons on the top (FM/radio tuning, light brightness and on/off, and alarms 1&2 buttons) still take a bit of getting used to to find in the dark to turn off, but I think it's better than the weird lever situation on the last one.

- You're supposed to be able to wave your hand in front to snooze. I can get the 'I see you" light to come on (like if I was resetting the time etc), but it won't snooze. I need to look at the manual again on that one, but it's annoying so far. Minus one star for that.

- The light and alarm light settings are independent of each other (so you can have the alarm brightness set at 3, and if you use the light before bed and turn it off at a setting of 10, you'll still wake up to a 3).

- You can change the duration of the light - 20, 25, or 30 minutes.

- Alarm sound volume seems to increase quicker than on previous models. Boo.

So...all in all, I like this better than previous models, but it could still use a couple simple features like the week/weekend alarm. Keep in mind that there will be a period of adjustment where you have to figure out what light brightness and alarm sound level works for you. Could be a couple weeks, even. And there will also prob be adjustments seasonally (when the sun comes up earlier/later). I suggest you use the built-in 'demo' feature (goes through your settings in a minute or something), but you'll really just have to try it out in the AM for a bit. But as I said, I will NEVER go back to just a radio/beep alarm. These have made my AMs for the past couple years SO much better, and I really like this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have 2 different models and love them both. Works for kids too!, September 26, 2013
SP Sandsteel (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
About 2 years ago, my family and I moved a lot further North than I had previously lived. I bought the older model, the HF3470, to help me wake up in the winter darkness. It was wonderful. Now, my 6 year old daughter has been having a very hard time waking up in the mornings for school (we have to get up at 6:15 to get them there in time, and starting in late September, it is still dark at that time). So I bought the new light alarm clock for myself and gave my old HF3470 to her.

I am a huge fan of BOTH models. Right on the very first morning that I set the alarm clock in her room, she was up when the alarm went off. No complaints about how early it was, no dragging her out of bed, just an easily awoken child! We haven't even been late to school because I don't have to harass her for 30 minutes to get her going. It was like magic. She is using the light only (no sounds) with a loud clock radio across the room (so she cannot snooze the sound, even if she turns off the light!). It is easy enough to operate that my 6 year old can turn it on and off and use the light. (I did set the time and alarm for her, adjust the brightness, etc).

I am also loving my new HF3520 model. It's true that the light at first is very red, then rather orange before it gets bright white. While this is not accurate to a true sunrise, I actually appreciate the color change because when I rouse before the alarm has gone off, but when the light has already begun lighting up, I can tell by the room's redness that it is not time to wake up all the way yet. I don't have to be facing the clock nor do I have to check the time. I like that!

With both light-clocks, I have had them on my nightstand beside my bed, right at my eye/mattress level. My husband works swing shift so he often needs to sleep in, while I need to get up and get the kids ready for school and get myself off to work. I really appreciate that the alarms are unobtrusive enough to let him stay asleep, while still waking me up. The first morning I used the new clock, I had it set at brightness level 20 (max setting), and it DID wake him up (which is great to know for times we both WANT to get up at the same time). I set it to level 12 for the next morning, and it has been plenty bright for me and has not woken him since.

After 2 years of listening to it, the birds tweeting on the old clock was starting to get on my nerves (but it was better than radio, the other option), but I haven't had the new clock long enough to say whether or not that will happen to me with the new sounds eventually. I was pleased, though, that the bird sounds on the new clock are different than the old clock, and I like the other sounds well enough too.

The ONE problem I had with the HF3470 (the bigger, older model) is that the buttons are stiff and the device is light-weight, which means when you go to push the buttons along the front of the device, the whole alarm pushes back. So I end up pushing the device across the nightstand, but the buttons won't click. I had to use two hands: one to hold the device still and the other to push the buttons, until my husband brought me a rubber place mat and put it under my clock. Then it had enough grip to stay put while I was pushing the buttons. This is a minor complaint, though, considering how much I love that clock (and how well it has been working for my daughter!).

The new clock does not have the issue with the buttons, which are more like a touch screen and nothing actually pushes inward at all. When I move my finger near the "buttons" on the front, little lights come on showing me where to press for each button (helpful for setting the alarm in the dark). When I withdraw my finger, the lights turn off. I had fun playing with that. It can sense me coming! I like the dimmable display and even though it cannot be turned all the way off, the lowest setting is plenty dim.

In conclusion, I have 2 different models, and both are wonderful. I would buy either one again without hesitation. I prefer the large toggle switch on the older model for snoozing and setting the alarm because it's so easy to find, but either clock is great. If money is an issue, get the cheaper one and you still won't be disappointed. The upgraded light colors, buttons, style, and sounds of the newer model are great but might not be worth that much of a price difference for many.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Battery Backup!?!, January 7, 2013
This light works pretty much as described, but it does not have a battery backup! It will keep the time and alarm settings for a couple of minutes if the power goes off, but loses all settings for anything longer than that. The first weekend after I received it, our power went off for about 30 minutes and the light completely re-set which meant I did not get up in time. I'm surprised anyone would sell an alarm clock today that does not have a battery backup for a power failure.

I wanted this light to work for me, but without the battery backup it is just not something that will work in my situation. So I give it a low rating for missing what I consider a key (and necessary) function.

Rate and Discover Movies