Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 31, 2013
I have been fairly impressed with the options provided and the quality of this soundbar considering the price. It is a great addition to my personal sound system.

My favorites:
The low profile of this sound bar is very nice compared to ones that I have had in the past. It disappears very nicely into our entertainment system. I also love the design and shape of the sound bar.
The amount of inputs is what sold me on this one. I am able to connect my turntable, TV, and my phone all in the same package. Other sound bars I've looked at that were much more did not have this variety. And boy, do I love having bluetooth for playing music from my phone.
Did I mention bluetooth?

Frustrations:
By far my biggest frustration is the lack of power from the subwoofer. You have to turn the bass up to be able to hear it at all. It fills out the sound, but you won't shake the room any time soon with this.
The bluetooth can get finicky to connect. There have been a couple of times when I had to work with it for a few minutes to get it to connect. I will say that it has always connected eventually.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase!
on June 18, 2013
If you are looking for a way of increasing the volume of your built-in TV speakers and not looking to spend too much money, this is for you. The sound quality is good--I'm not an audiophile by any means, but the sound is clear, crisp, and free of static.

Pros:
- Optical input, 3.5mm headphone input
- Bluetooth audio (Works great for listening to music from a phone, crisp and clear audio within range... about 30-40 feet and then it starts to go in/out and crackle).
- Size is perfect, it's not too long and it isn't tall enough to block the remote when in front of the TV.

Cons:
- If you turn the volume up all the way the sound does start to clip and sound bad, but it is loud enough before reaching that point.
- The 'surround sound' does not sound very good to me. It seems like it just turns on an echo... although it does give you the feeling of being a movie theater, I don't like it.
on May 13, 2014
The hookup of the soundbar was easy. PLEASE NOTE: there is no audio-optic or RCA type cable included. YOU MUST BUY SEPARATELY!

Much like many of the other positive reviews, this soundbar quality and strength is commensurate for the price. You get what you pay for, and what you get is a soundbar that will certainly increase the audio viewing quality of your flat-screen tv.

True audiophiles: you will probably be better off paying more for a higher quality unit with more juice running through the speakers.

For the every-day enthusiast who wants to increase their out-of-the-box TV experience: this is great. Definitely works and quality is good.

As additional bonus, the blue-tooth integration is nice. We've used this to sync up with people's phones at parties or when someone has a particular song-playlist on their phones that we want to play during a cocktail party. Easy to connect and nice for background music.
on October 27, 2013
You may not want to spend tons of money for that bedroom system.
You can also hook your blue tooth device up to it and listen to your music.
The simulated sound settings aren't really that great, but the clarity on the normal setting is great.

Ok, after several months of using this, I am adding to my review. This unit does not stay on and power cycles while you are watching a movie.
It takes several minutes to turn it on and get the volume back to the level you were at.
I moved it from my projector to my computer and it's still annoying.

On the hunt for something better now for my computer.
on May 23, 2014
I purchased this soundbar for a second TV and was pleasantly surprised as to how well it works. I own a previous model, Philips CSS2123B/F7 that also works well but does not have bluetooth capability. Both models have multiple input connections including digital, coaxial, RCA and 3.5 mm line in. The bluetooth feature on the HTL2160 work well and was easily paired to phones and tablets. The sound quality is excellent especially for the price. No complaints. It is not a system for audiophiles but works well for boosting TV speakers. The surround sound effects make movies more pleasant to watch. Subwoofer is passive but responds well to low frequencies. Do not expect to use these outdoors for a pool party since it is lower in output wattage. The HTL2160 is also well designed. The speakers come separated from the control module (center portion). You have to slide them together and install 2 screws on each side. It is a smart design that will aide in packaging or when you need to transport the unit. The subwoofer connection is a typical speaker terminal with pinchers that are located at the back of the unit (center portion). The other end is hardwired into the subwoofer so be careful not to accidentally damage that connection. The HTL2160 is very low profile and only slightly "taller" than the CSS2123B unit. There are no HDMI connections. Overall, this is highly recommended for home use where you want simple and quick connections. It also works well as a "dock" for music using the bluetooth function. If you understand what you are purchasing and the reason for this unit, you will not be disappointed.

Update: I am dropping this unit down a few stars after I discovered that the surround setting when used sounds very "echo-ee". The sound is not enveloping but more like conversations and sounds from an enclosed tin can. There is not way to adjust this since its a built in feature. I compared it to the CSS2123B/F7 and its not the same. The CSS unit provide a virtual surround much better than the HTL2160. I am planning to return the HTL2160 and purchase the CSS unit.
on May 19, 2013
Bluetooth feature is cool, but the sound quality is terrible. Starts to crackle when the sound is even slightly turned up. Wish I had spent a little more for a better product. The crackling sound makes this sound bar unusable, and I prefer my built in TV speakers over this. Waste of money. The surround sound feature is a joke. Sounds like circus tent sound.
on November 11, 2014
Great sound and nice looking sound bar. I recently purchased a new tv and wanted a sound bar to go with it. I struggled to find one since I live in an apartment and do not have my tv mounted. I was finding that many sound bars sit too high (including the one by vizio to match my tv) and would block a portion of the screen and the remote sensor. I was also looking for a sound bar that could play my iPad music through Bluetooth, since my stereo system was broken during my last move. This speaker plays the music and I even was able to set it up so I can play the sound through my cable box (the music channels) without having to have my tv on. The sound quality is great for what I paid for the speakers and it makes a huge difference from what the tv speakers sound like. I was looking for something on the lower end to hold me over for a few years until I buy my next home and thus system fits the bill. Would highly recommend!
on February 6, 2014
Order my first one and the speakers sounded busted. I received my second one and tested it before putting it up this time and it seemed to work. However the auxiliary port did not offer any sound quality, it was filled with static. The volume does not have a very wide range either, it's either loud or quit. I'm not sure if I'm going to return it or just deal with it.
on February 18, 2015
As I begin to write this review, I am writing a review of the second Phillps HTL2160/F7 I received, as the one that was included in my order the first time had a loose power input. True to form. Amazon's customer service was prompt with a replacement, and quick to receive my return. To that end, I have been a very happy customer.

As for the soundbar itself, let me start by saying that if you are expecting Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 surround from this, then you are going to be disappointed. However, if you want a marked improvement from your standard flat panel TV sound, the flexibility of Bluetooth stereo connectivity, and good value to sound quality, I WOULD DEFINITELY recommend this. While the bass this puts out is never going to shake the room, the sound itself is clear and accurate. Given the low profile, this actually provides richer acoustic balance than I anticipated.

PROS:
- Rich audio quality relative to the price
- Low profile that does not interfere with television remote reception

CONS:
- Faux surround sound is a bit tinny / almost an echo (IMO, this bar sounds better in it's standard configuration)
- Bluetooth can be spotty, but that is likely more indicative of the tablet we connect to it (no BT connection issues with my Galaxy Note 4)
on May 12, 2014
I bought this for my garage so I'd have better sound than just my tablet speakers. I thought about a portable BT speaker and by the time I started comparing prices, it made more sense to just get an inexpensive sound bar. I'm happy with my purchase! The bar mounted easily and the sub is tucked in the workbench just below. My garage is 10x20 and this thing fills the space with crystal clear audio and enough low end to please me and the neighbors next door and upstairs :-)

From the first time I turned it on, the bluetooth paired quickly and flawlessly. I paired my phone and tablet (Samsung Note 3 and Galaxy Tab 3). Now when I'm in the garage all I have to do is enable bluetooth on one of the devices and it connects within seconds. I've used the USB connection, but only to charge my devices.