4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Expectations In Check, Be Happy
This system is just over $100. For that price you can't expect wall-shaking bass, or sound that will blow your cheeks back. What you can expect is a small living room, or a den to be covered in decent surround sound for a great price.

Published on September 20, 2012 by Christopher A. Paladino

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published 21 months ago by Joanna Metcalf

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Expectations In Check, Be Happy, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Philips HTS3531 DVD Home Theater (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

I use it in my sunroom/den on my Video Game System/TV, and it works amazing. I'm in an apartment, so while I could turn it loud enough to annoy the neighbors, I don't have to. It's just enough bass to feel like the system has a subwoofer, and just enough sound quality to not be angry or sad when playing games.

Super light, wall-mountable (if you have drywall screws w/ anchors), and the cables are decently long - larger rooms would have a problem with the rear channel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet surround sound!, August 3, 2012
These speakers are awesome for the price that you pay! It has tons of features that make it amazing for the cost. Sure the bass isn't that loud, but it isn't that bad. These speakers can go pretty loud for that movie and gaming experience that you want! I would recommend these speakers for those who just want pretty nice surround sound for a decent price. Get'em!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the Bill, January 19, 2013
Philips HTS3531 has surprisingly good sound for bedroom TV with Xbox set up. Nice DVD player integrated with sound system

5.0 out of 5 stars phillips dvd surround sound system, September 13, 2013
Amazing price. Great sound. High quality and sleek styling. Very satisfied with this system. Would def. suggest this product to friends and family. My main surround system is a very expensive bose system. This one in the master bedroom sounds just as good :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!, November 2, 2013
I am so amazed and happy with this!! The sound is incredible, the features are awesome, I love how I can plug my MP3 player to the front of it, it's so cool!! and the USB plug in the front is great, during a movie you hear even more sounds in the back round then I did with my old system, I cant find not one thing wrong with this unit, they have really improved these Home Theater System's over the years so much, light weight for all pieces, easy to hook up, it's just awesome and highly recommend it if your looking! For $99.00 you simply cannot go wrong, Love it!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 6, 2013
It had very poor sound quality. We have a very small living room, but the speaker wires were not long enough to reach even halfway to the back wall. You can not change the volume unless you have the remote (which with 2 small children remotes seem to vanish around our house!) We had a philips home theater before we ordered this one, and were very happy with it. We just wanted a new one because the DVD player started having problems. I was very disappointed in the one we ordered.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total crap, March 23, 2013
This purchase seemed like an excellent deal from a reputable brand. Indeed, upon first use, it sounded and operated great. However, within 3 months it began having serious issues reading dvd discs. By the end of the fourth month, it wouldn't even read brand new dvds. Despite regular cleanings from the first month on, this problem just got worse and worse and then finally became unbearable. Don't waste your money on this product. Purchase from another brand. My friend bought one of those cheaper $45 model systems two years ago and it works flawlessly. I spent nearly $150 on this one and it didn't even last half a year. And Phillips helpcenter to file a claim is terrible.
*Allow me to edit: Phillips' HelpCenter was extremely helpful the second time I called. Very accommodating and polite. They also had no qualms expediting me a replacement unit and even provide the paid postage on returning it via FedEx. This doesn't fix the fact the unit is a total crapfest that s***s the bed after a couple of months, but at least I'll be getting a replacement. If only I could sue for the pain and suffering I've experienced over the last month or so and the horrible agony that befalls me as I wait the 15 days for the replacement to arrive... *sigh*
Either way: buy a different model

1.0 out of 5 stars Phillips Home Theater, October 21, 2012
Horrible. This is what I get for buying something I didn't listen to in person. It sounds SO cheap. Like, I could have found something better at freakin WalMart. During movies the sound is good, and that's why I guess I didn't immediately return it; but with music.. IT'S AWFUL.