5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for what it is
Published on July 25, 2012 by Student of Composition

2.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet
The sound quality is not very good, has to much distortion. To watch a movie i have to turn the volume all the way up. Listening to music isn't much better, not enough power.
Published on September 26, 2012 by buyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Philips HTS3541/F7 5.1 Home Theater 3D Blu-ray Player (Electronics)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cons: Wi-Fi Signal, Speaker Length, Remote Response Time, February 12, 2014
Bought 2 of these during black friday at Wal-mart 2 years ago, so for the price I was excited. It works well enough and sounds MUCH better than the standard TV, but see my list of gripes:

1. Wi-fi signal is so weak that I am not able to use it to connect to Netflix or anything else. However, the Wii sitting right next to it is able to connect to our wi-fi signal, as well as my computer and phone.

2. The speaker length for the center speaker is extremely short and barely makes it out the back of my entertainment center on to the top in front of the TV.

3. The remote lag time is very frustrating, so if you have anxiety it will send you through the roof. There is an audio source button on the remote that you push to shuffle through the different outputs (coax, aux and so forth) and I have to push the button 2 or 3 times before it moves onto the next.

4. Unless I'm not seeing it there is no menu button to take you straight to the menu of a DVD. I've tried Top Menu but it restarts the DVD over again. So I have to skip through the previews when a DVD allows me too.

5. Only 1 HDMI port, so I have to hook up my cable box to it with the old fashion 3 prong cables to get the sound to travel since I have the only HDMI cord running from this DVD player to my TV.

6. Did I already say Wi-Fi?!?!?!? Since I do not have a 3D TV it basically makes this unit obsolete with the exception og the speakers.

Pros:
1. 3D playback (though I have not been able to test it without a 3D TV

3. DVD playback has been great

2. Volume for me is fine. I have adjusted it in the settings panel, but I'm also not in a huge home. This would not be adequate for a larger home. I would suggest upgrading to something else maybe like Sonos!

I wouldn't pay the asking price on here, but for what I paid on black friday I'll deal and just buy a wi-fi adapter for my TV since it's not wi-fi enabled and hope that adapter will allow me to connect to Netflix though I shouldn't have to when I already bought a wi-fi enabled dvd player. **I did take the dvd player out from inside the caibnet and even sat it on top on the unit near the window right by where the router downstairs in the window is located, but still nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for what it is, July 25, 2012
For pure value, the 3541/F7 can't be beat. If you're expecting a room-shaking surround experience, perhaps you'd better upgrade, but ours is set up as a soundbar spread across the TV stand and it fills up our average-size living room beautifully. Dialogue is clear, and so is music. I use classical music to test -- pop sounds good on anything. Plus, the number of features on this is incredible: ARC/CEC HDMI, FM tuner, and 3D Blu-Ray (the plain 3541 without the F7 is not a 3D unit). Very pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for streaming, March 20, 2014
It's a fair little sound system, setup is quick and easy, but the wires are quite short for many setups. The design assumes you are putting it directly under the TV, so the wire for the center speaker is very short. Mine is off to the side, and to get the center under my TV I had to swap the right and center speakers. The rear speakers can't reach across my living room, which is somewhat large, but not all that big.

Menus are easy to use, though partially because of a lack of many options. Netflix and Vudu are the only streaming services available. USB audio is simple, but the USB port is sunk in slightly below the front rim, meaning using even a slightly "chubby" flash drive can be awkward.

But those are pretty minor nuisances, and the low cost makes those not too hard to overlook. The biggest complaint is with streaming. The built-in wireless adapter is unimpressive. Despite being about 10 feet from my wireless router, it would usually start stuttering and freezing about an hour into any video, then drops back to a loading screen which never responds and can't be escaped except by turning the box off. I can use Netflix on an iPad three times as far from the router, with zero problems. I've attached a wired connection that seems to have cleared that specific problem up.

The Netflix app is simply atrocious. Responses to key presses during playback and the menu are sometimes delayed by as much as twenty or thirty seconds, and sometimes never come at all.

I've not used the BluRay, so I can't comment on that. I bought it for audio (adequate) and streaming (very disappointed).

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Remote Control, September 24, 2014
Very good equipment, good sound quality and so far I have not found an audio or video format that can not read nor usb disks. The only complaint I have is the quality of the remote, it is quite deficient in story to run, if you are not pointed directly at the receiver does not perform any actions that would indicate, I've tried changing the batteries thinking it could be that were damaged but the problem remains the same. For the rest I have nothing to say about this excellent device

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nothing more, May 27, 2013
I purchased this to go along with my new Vizio 47" 3D TV. It was on sale for $129 before Christmas which is more reasonable than the current $165 price. This unit does what is says it will do fine but nothing more. It has a cheap feel to it. The on screen display is very basic augmented by a small rolling led display on the unit for status. Smart Wi-Fi apps few and basic.

Speakers are hard wired at the speaker, have very short cables especially for the rear speakers and have a plug on the end of the very thin/cheap speaker wire to attach to the unit. To extend the length of the speaker I had to cut the wire in the middle - put new wire in and make two splices instead of one. Only other alternative was to order plugs for one splice OR plugs and opening speakers and replace the entire wire.

The units description or its online manual did not specify IF the unit supported two way audio via the HDMI cable. I purchased a new HDMI cable that supported this function BUT the Philips unit does NOT support this. So to get 5.1 surround sound when watching a show on cable or Wi-Fi via the TV I bought an optical audio cable.

That works fine when watching the TV from cable, etc. The Philips is switched to that input and plays fine. BUT when watching a DVD sound from the TV and the Philips are not in sync and produces a reverb or echo effect. I have to turn off the sound on the TV.

Sound is fair to good but you don't get the full effect I've heard with better systems. At the $129 I paid for it I might consider buying it again to stay in budget (I don't use it that much). At the current $165 I would look elsewhere for a better deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, March 22, 2014
this is an ok player. Only issues I have, it takes more than 30 sec. for the unit to go through all the start up checks before it will start. Sound is good, but it could leave you wanting to upgrade to get a bigger sound after using for awhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, feature-rich, but has some flaws, December 5, 2014
Ed (JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this hardware. The people claiming that cables are hard-wired on have outdated information or they're confused in some other way. Every speaker wire terminates with a plug. The people claiming that it's not loud enough are spending too much time with their low-rider's sub-woofers. I agree that the speaker wires here are too short. Come on, guys; how much can five more feet of thin wire really cost? Also, the lack of speaker grills makes these _highly_ susceptible to speaker damage from normal household activities. Netflix not only works from this box, but it plays well. It's almost always max resolution and I have not seen it stop to buffer even once. I don't know how that is happening, but that's the truth. The Netflix menus, however, are seriously truncated and *very* slow to respond to remote commands. I think a software update by thumb drive _might_ take care of the old, truncated Netflix GUI. No software updates are automatically found by the networked box, however. When I ordered refurbished, one speaker arrived damaged and buzzed, so I'm missing the center speaker now. Otherwise, this system has some great value and surprisingly lush features. Buy it new if you buy it at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound system., March 21, 2013
It's a good sound system. But takes a long time to load once turned on and I get a lot of crackling in the front speakers. It's really annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surpised, October 12, 2013
Based on some of the bad reviews I hesitated buying this model. I actually purchased at my local WM because I was in a pinch and had to replace my non working LG bluray. I can say I am very pleased. Set up was easy. The speakers are hardwired which kind of sucks but most affordable theater systems come that was anyway. For those people complaining about the speaker volume and sound. You can go into the setup menu and adjust each speaker -louder, softer, and just the treble/bass etc. Also the distance that the speaker is from you. The display is a little dim and the remote feels very cheap. I connected it to my WiFi with relative ease. In fact it took me all of about 15 minutes from the time I opened the box to when we were watching a blu ray.

Philips HTS3541/F7 5.1 Home Theater 3D Blu-ray Player