5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for what it is
Published on July 25, 2012 by Student of Composition

2.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet
The sound quality is not very good, has to much distortion. To watch a movie i have to turn the volume all the way up. Listening to music isn't much better, not enough power.
Published on September 26, 2012 by buyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Philips HTS3541/F7 5.1 Home Theater 3D Blu-ray Player (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for what it is, July 25, 2012
For pure value, the 3541/F7 can't be beat. If you're expecting a room-shaking surround experience, perhaps you'd better upgrade, but ours is set up as a soundbar spread across the TV stand and it fills up our average-size living room beautifully. Dialogue is clear, and so is music. I use classical music to test -- pop sounds good on anything. Plus, the number of features on this is incredible: ARC/CEC HDMI, FM tuner, and 3D Blu-Ray (the plain 3541 without the F7 is not a 3D unit). Very pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cons: Wi-Fi Signal, Speaker Length, Remote Response Time, February 12, 2014
Bought 2 of these during black friday at Wal-mart 2 years ago, so for the price I was excited. It works well enough and sounds MUCH better than the standard TV, but see my list of gripes:

1. Wi-fi signal is so weak that I am not able to use it to connect to Netflix or anything else. However, the Wii sitting right next to it is able to connect to our wi-fi signal, as well as my computer and phone.

2. The speaker length for the center speaker is extremely short and barely makes it out the back of my entertainment center on to the top in front of the TV.

3. The remote lag time is very frustrating, so if you have anxiety it will send you through the roof. There is an audio source button on the remote that you push to shuffle through the different outputs (coax, aux and so forth) and I have to push the button 2 or 3 times before it moves onto the next.

4. Unless I'm not seeing it there is no menu button to take you straight to the menu of a DVD. I've tried Top Menu but it restarts the DVD over again. So I have to skip through the previews when a DVD allows me too.

5. Only 1 HDMI port, so I have to hook up my cable box to it with the old fashion 3 prong cables to get the sound to travel since I have the only HDMI cord running from this DVD player to my TV.

6. Did I already say Wi-Fi?!?!?!? Since I do not have a 3D TV it basically makes this unit obsolete with the exception og the speakers.

Pros:
1. 3D playback (though I have not been able to test it without a 3D TV

3. DVD playback has been great

2. Volume for me is fine. I have adjusted it in the settings panel, but I'm also not in a huge home. This would not be adequate for a larger home. I would suggest upgrading to something else maybe like Sonos!

I wouldn't pay the asking price on here, but for what I paid on black friday I'll deal and just buy a wi-fi adapter for my TV since it's not wi-fi enabled and hope that adapter will allow me to connect to Netflix though I shouldn't have to when I already bought a wi-fi enabled dvd player. **I did take the dvd player out from inside the caibnet and even sat it on top on the unit near the window right by where the router downstairs in the window is located, but still nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surpised, October 12, 2013
Based on some of the bad reviews I hesitated buying this model. I actually purchased at my local WM because I was in a pinch and had to replace my non working LG bluray. I can say I am very pleased. Set up was easy. The speakers are hardwired which kind of sucks but most affordable theater systems come that was anyway. For those people complaining about the speaker volume and sound. You can go into the setup menu and adjust each speaker -louder, softer, and just the treble/bass etc. Also the distance that the speaker is from you. The display is a little dim and the remote feels very cheap. I connected it to my WiFi with relative ease. In fact it took me all of about 15 minutes from the time I opened the box to when we were watching a blu ray.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound system., March 21, 2013
It's a good sound system. But takes a long time to load once turned on and I get a lot of crackling in the front speakers. It's really annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for streaming, March 20, 2014
It's a fair little sound system, setup is quick and easy, but the wires are quite short for many setups. The design assumes you are putting it directly under the TV, so the wire for the center speaker is very short. Mine is off to the side, and to get the center under my TV I had to swap the right and center speakers. The rear speakers can't reach across my living room, which is somewhat large, but not all that big.

Menus are easy to use, though partially because of a lack of many options. Netflix and Vudu are the only streaming services available. USB audio is simple, but the USB port is sunk in slightly below the front rim, meaning using even a slightly "chubby" flash drive can be awkward.

But those are pretty minor nuisances, and the low cost makes those not too hard to overlook. The biggest complaint is with streaming. The built-in wireless adapter is unimpressive. Despite being about 10 feet from my wireless router, it would usually start stuttering and freezing about an hour into any video, then drops back to a loading screen which never responds and can't be escaped except by turning the box off. I can use Netflix on an iPad three times as far from the router, with zero problems. I've attached a wired connection that seems to have cleared that specific problem up.

The Netflix app is simply atrocious. Responses to key presses during playback and the menu are sometimes delayed by as much as twenty or thirty seconds, and sometimes never come at all.

I've not used the BluRay, so I can't comment on that. I bought it for audio (adequate) and streaming (very disappointed).

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips brings theater sound to home video, June 8, 2013
The Philips 3D Blu-ray Home Theater system is good. I has real theater like sound. Picture quality is very good. There are a few problems though. The front speaker wires are too short. If you want to really spread the front speakers apart, you can't spread them more than six feet from the unit. The center speaker wire is only three feet long. The speaker wires are very thin, so care needs to be taken when setting it up. A hard tug would probably break them. The most bothersome problem is with the auto-sync. Most of the time you have to manually adjust it to get the right voice sounds. With this system you get what you pay for. No Bose sound, but good enough for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not that good., March 19, 2014
Darren Harbert (Fairborn, OH USA) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is very tinny and lifeless. All the speaker wires are very short. and are permanently-attached making it impossible to lengthen with out cutting the wires and splicing witch would reduce the sound quality even farther. You will need to buy additional cables to get the sound from your TV to play through the device, with the Digital Optical Audio Cable the only one that will give you full sound, the RCA cables fall short. Really the only good thing about it is that it is cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, March 31, 2013
K. Chambers "khcham" (Sacramento, California United States) - See all my reviews
I watched my 1st 3D movie on this player and it was just like being in a theater. For those of you thinking about purchasing this product, be aware that the center speaker wire is a little more than 36 inches. Not really long enough depending on where you place the 3D Blu-Ray player. I found that placing the center speaker on the middle top of the 3D Blu-Ray player works very well as long as you have a good Entertainment Center like I have. The sound that comes from those small speakers was more than I expected also. And the price for this 3D Blu-Ray Player is great too. I'm very please with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars what? I used to design Philips products?, May 4, 2014
As a proud former employee of Philips, I am ashamed the good name is tarnished by this POS. I'm going to donate it to goodwill.
It is slow, it is buggy, how many watts output? sounds like 2W.
Don't even consider this product. Thank you outsourcing.

Philips HTS3541/F7 5.1 Home Theater 3D Blu-ray Player