5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great price
Published 17 months ago by Michael Gagnon

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound, decent deal but TERRIBLE interface
Published 13 months ago by Karl Winkler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great price, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Philips HTS3564/F7 3D Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Theatre System (Electronics)
I replaced a 'skipping' Samsung surround with this. Amazed at the sound! Blue ray and regular DVD upgrading is awesome! The bass is really shattering. Had to turn it down a notch. Living room is 14X20, perfect sound! I need to get some extension cable to put on the rear speakers they're about 6' short. I haven't done any online, hulu, etc. stuff with it as I don't use it. I bought the 3D for future replacement of our TV, will probably go to a 3D set next time. It's just a little slow on the power up, and have to wait for the 'Home' to appear on the display before doing anything. I do need to go through the manual now and learn any tricks/features to running the unit. I'm very pleased at it's video and sound performance. Factor in the price, and it's a clear winner!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the money, February 25, 2014
Dont expect super sound from any units at this price but overall pretty good all round for the cost. This unit is fitted in our Motor Home to replace a Panasonic home theatre. Worked straight from the box and very easy to set up. The bluray player works fine and being able to adjust speaker volume independently is a plus and unit and speakers look look good. Subwoofer doesnt look much but gives a very acceptable performance. Built in FM radio not so good. On screen menu very intuative. Overall worth a look for most people and would recommend it.
Once again Amazon excelled on delivery time and also UPS did a great job with no damage on delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!!, August 3, 2013
Having never owned a home movie theatre system, I was not sure how to install one, or even sure what to expect especially buying it online. The shipment was ordered on a Sunday night and delivered 2 days later! Read the manual and needed one extra cable that wasn't with the system , got it up and running and was very impressed with the sound. I won't go into details about all the bells and whistles that it has, but will tell you that I don't think for the money you could go wrong if you ordered this model. We are glad that we did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound, decent deal but TERRIBLE interface, November 26, 2013
This all-in-one Phillips system was a decent deal considering what I paid for it. The sound quality is quite good, although it was tremendously improved with the addition of a powered subwoofer. The picture quality is good, too - 1080 P is nice (our 3-year old Apple TV is only 720 P). The main unit is compact considering it contains a Blu Ray player and 6 amplifier channels (5.1 surround sound). It was easy to set up, and the user menu features are decent, including the ability to individually adjust the volume and delay for each speaker in the system.

The connection to our wireless network took a few tries but we eventually got it to work.

The main deficiency is the terribly slow interface. It is very frustrating to try to search for things in Netflix and YouTube, for instance. The remote must have a weak IR LED also, because many commands seem to be ignored. When doing a search, the unit is constantly trying to pull data from the network, and until it has completed this task, you can't enter the next letter. And this is with a 12 Mb/s Internet connection that appears lightning fast on our desktop, the Apple TV, smart phones, etc. Only the Phillips unit is sluggish like this.

When we first got our Apple TV several years ago, I felt that it was a decent interface but not up to Apple's usual standards. Now, the Apple TV seems like a revelation when using it - it is very quick, scrolls easily, responds readily to commands from the remote control. The Phillips is TERRIBLE in this regard.

To add insult to injury, the Phillips unit promises that the user can download a free app for the iPhone or similar smart phone. I tried to do this but found that the app was not available in the US iTunes store, only in the UK store. So I went there but found out that I could not download the app - my Apple ID would not work in the UK store.

In addition, there is a process for connecting your phone to the Phillips unit, but it did not work despite several tries. Perhaps the digital infrastructure for these things works in Europe but not in the US? I don't know, but it was very frustrating.

Overall, I'd say this is a decent unit but be prepared to be frustrated by the terrible interface issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for the money, but interface is SLOOOOWWW, March 12, 2014
I bought this unit back in July 2013. I've had it for about 9 months now. I have both my computer and my PS4 hooked in to my big screen TV and I pretty much only use this unit for the surround sound, so I don't worry to much about the draw backs of it.

The Good:
Sound works just fine for the price you pay and you can adjust each speaker's volume individually to configure the actual sound experience to match the layout of the speakers in your room. Plays Blu-ray movies just fine including 3D supposedly, but I've never tried that feature personally. It does have optical audio which I have hooked up to my PS4 and it works great. Also, if you have an external hard drive with a bunch of movies on it you can just plug it in the USB port and play it straight from the unit.

The Bad:
NO BLUETOOTH. If you want to listen to a movie through headphones while someone is asleep and you can't, then get comfortable really close to the TV. If you have a bunch of music on your phone and want to stream it, then you better have an aux cable. Also, this box doesn't have Pandora, Slacker or Spotify so you won't be able to stream music through the box either. The only apps it has are: Youtube, Netflix, Vudu movies and Picasa. The ends of the speaker lines are just pieces of wire that you cram into clips in the back of the unit. They work fine and are color coded, so it's easy to figure out, but it's just another example on how they cut corners unlike similar products like Sony's BDV home theater system.

The Ugly:
The interface on this unit is painfully slow. The remote only works half of the time you press anything on it. At first I thought I had put spent batteries in the remote, but it's just the way the unit is. Some of the other reviews on here say the same thing so I know it's not just me. If you do actually use this unit for Netflix or Youtube, then you'd better be a very patient person. Again, I cannot stress enough how SLOW and outdated this interface is.

Overall:
If you are just using this unit for a cheap fix for surround sound while using other devices to actually play on, or if you're only using it for Blu-ray, then this will do fine and will save you a few bucks. However, if you plan to use this to watch netflix or do anything else on or you hate when things lag on you, then I would STRONGLY recommend you consider shelling out the extra money for a better unit. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself wishing you'd shelled out the extra $50 or whatever after a few months.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well appointed entry level blu ray / surround sound system., September 14, 2013
Steven Hallmark "Human" (Indianapolis, Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
While imperfect, I have been happy overall with this sound system. For around 200 dollars you're getting everything you need for a blu ray surround sound experience (sans TV). The sound quality is good, the setup is easy, and the apps installed work just fine. The only gripes I have are that during blu ray playback, the speakers squelch between menus and playback and between the ads and the menus. It's strange, and I can't figure out how to stop it. Once the Movie is playing, there are no issues whatsoever. The HDMI ARC functionality is just a little wonky (I get different channel splitting through HDMI ARC vs Optical for the same cable box, for example. While these issues are slightly irritating, I doubt I could have done much better for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement works well, September 3, 2013
Bought to replace an old surround sound and went with the same brand as my tv, works well takes a good 15 seconds to start up though

2.0 out of 5 stars This is ok but not great. DVD/BR player never remembers where it left off ..., July 3, 2014
This is ok but not great. DVD/BR player never remembers where it left off and goes back to the beginning of disk. The controller is clicky and weak. Takes forever to initiate and start up. Biggest problem with playback is that you cannot get it to play in surround mode if the source is in stereo. So anything coming out of an Ipod will only play on the front L/R speakers and no way to change it from what I can see. The speaker wires are very skinny and dislodge from the back of the unit. This is a basic no frills system which is not very user friendly but once you get it going it will play your DVD or Blue-ray ok, just hope you don't have to stop in the middle or it will start all the way from the beginning. Radio will auto-tune once you read the instructions, but finding a specific frequency by manual tuning seems impossible or at least goes back to my comment about lack of user of friendliness. It should be easy to find your favorite station without the system forcing you to listen to what it can find, right? Good luck. Its cheap, thats all it has going for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars good sound but slow at everything, August 28, 2013
Moved into a new house for the school year, though it would make the lower level more desirable by putting in a sound system for music and movies. This system arrived fast. It was very easy to install (uses audio cable, not brand specific clips/plugs). The sound was crisp and clear, and it got plenty loud. The system is loud, but it does not feel loud. you never feel the punch of the music.
the netflix video and sound quality was great, but it takes 4mins to start the app and about 2 mins to load the main page. once all that has loaded, the movie starts pretty quick. I never had issues wih it, but my girlfriend reported the netflix video lagging and freezing on multiple occasions. Used wifi with a brand new high speed router and 40mbps internet.
No option to add apps (like pandora) and no bluetooth made this system soon to be outdated, and its brand new!

I returned the system because i did not want to have to deal with slow, limited performance from a brand new system. I have liked all my philips sound systems in the past. this one was a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow. Freezes when playing Netflix. Would not recommend., October 20, 2014
The player looks nice. However, it's Slow to respond to commands and the display looks ancient and outdated. I have 60mbps internet speed and yet it wasn't able to play Netflix. Netflix was having issues so I had to restore the system to default settings just to get it somewhat working again. Then it froze while I was playing a Netflix movie and did it everytime I tried playing it again. All of this was in the first day I set it up so I packed it up and sent it back. Not worth the money, you're honestly better off buying a good more expensive player. The subwoofer didn't sound good either, all air. I wouldn't recommend this product.

Philips HTS3564/F7 3D Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Theatre System