Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 8, 2008
This is a great system for those who don't want or can't fit 5 speakers in their room and need a smaller system. Luckily there is little sacrificed for its small and sleek style, the sound quality is excellent (just check its specs) and it is quite powerful (I need to keep the volume low so as not to annoy my neighbors). Plus it has a very good DVD player that upconverts to 1080p, they even provide an HDMI cable and as an added bonus for those who have foreign DVDs is that it is very easy to remove the region coding, Philips kindly uses the same unlock code on all its HTS systems (just google videohelp region code and then search for one of its cousins such as the HTS6100).

The reason that I did not give it 5 stars is first it only has digital coaxial input and not Toslink input. Unfortunately both my TV and HD cable box only has optical Toslink audio output. I easily fixed this problem by getting a Toslink to coaxial converter like this one Cables To Go - 40019 - Optical To Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (make sure you get both coaxial and toslink cables). The other thing that I do not like is the placement of the built in ipod dock, which ruins the aesthetics when you dock the ipod, which just sticks out. The dock however works quite well, after a minute or so it configures itself to the ipod and you can listen to music and watch videos on your TV.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2008
I was looking at Bose and found this system to be better. It's well designed with the heavy Amp components incorporated into the Subwoofer, which sets on the floor. The Control Panel is low-profile and sets on-top of my Cable-Box. The 2 speakers set on the same shelf below my 52" TV with no install issues. Simple to install and use, VERY satisfied.
on March 8, 2009
Hemmed and hawed about this purchase for quite some time, going back and forth between this and the Panasonic SC-PT760. I wanted surround sound for my living room, but due to the position of my TV and couch and the placement of a certain sliding glass door, running the wires w/o messing with the walls was not an option. So, I had settled on either real surround sound, with its weird wireless feature, or ambisound w/ less parts and cleaner lines.

The deal breaker? Going to circuit city and finding the Philips for $160! Suck on that. Anywho, setting it up was quite easy. Took maybe thirty minutes and only due to rearranging my HDMI inputs etc etc.

Pros:
Looks Awesome!
Easy set up
HDMI 1080p
USB input
MP3 input
IPOD dock - which, incidentally, will read your iPod and give you and onscreen view of your music lists which you can control with the remote. Also, you can view video from the iPod on the TV.
Icky Bass Thump (that's meant to be good, couldn't resist the White Stripes ref.)
When in DVD mode - sound is amazing.

Cons:
When in TV mode, sound is good, but not nearly as amazing.
No Digital Optical inputs, only RCA... lame.
Remote controls... it. that's it. No ability to control even the TV with the remote this comes with. Get yourself a universal (I have a Logitech Harmony brand remote and have a drawer full of useless remotes now)

hrrrmmm.....Yeah, I think that's it.

Buy this. Do it.
on January 31, 2009
This system is with out a doubt fantastic! I play my ipod on it frequently and the sound will absolutly impress you. I have a small room and didn't need a whole bunch of speakers, but wanted good, quality sound. Well I got that and more when I got this sytem. If you don't like the hassle of hooking up multiple speakers with all those wires, and don't want to spend too much money, I highly recommend that you purchase this system. You will not be disappointed! Also, Philips stands behind their products, and that should give you peace of mind. Don't even think about it. If you want surround sound, only want a couple of small speakers, but it's gotta be good, you have to get this system.
on March 19, 2009
If you buy this product, you will Not be disappointed. For the money, it stands by itself. Actually, for twice the money if would hold it's own. I am glad that I had to send back the Samsung sound bar (did not play disks, like the reviews say). I am also glad that I didn't spring for the Bose, as this little system fits the bill quite well.

Small design belies the large sound. Very classy main unit. Subwoofer is clean, not muddy, and well balanced. It also upscales quite well.

I'd buy it again in a flash.
on September 4, 2009
First, I must say that the sound on this system is excellent! While I can't say that this sounds like true 5.1 surround, it does create this strange encapsulating effect in the room. Setup was extremely easy and took about an hour including hiding cables and what not behind the entertainment center.

I used the toslink to digital coax converter to hook up the TV to the system. While the sound is still clear, the only complaint I would have is that for some reason, it's much more quiet than any other input, I guess because it's the only input that's not built into the unit, or because I'm using the converter?

At any rate, I would highly recommend this system for anyone looking for a great sound without having to deal with running rear speakers or plugging in wireless ones.
on April 10, 2009
I found the other reviews helpful, so I am adding one. This system is great and, for the money, really great. Having owned several home theater systems, I decided I didn't want so many speakers all over the place but I wanted decent sound for music as well as dvd play. I also didn't want a turntable disk changer; they jam. I didn't want a big component system with stacks of decks. I wanted a simple, elegant system with good sound, and this does it all. Far exceeded my expectations; you can use the subwoofer to blow-dry your hair. (Kidding, sort of.) If you don't like the iPod dock position, you can also use a cable. Easy to set up; very intuitive. But I advise reading the manual to learn more advanced things about the remote. All in all, could not be happier.
on June 7, 2009
Purchased this year for christmas. Came down to this and the Bose, and for the price there was nothing out there that came close. Does a great job creating simulated surround from 2 speakers and has a great bass punch. Love the DIVX using the USB input. As other readers mentioned, needed to get a converter to go from Optical to coxial, but once I did made a world of difference in broadcast surround. Would recommend to anyone looking for a great value in a a 2.1 system.
on April 15, 2009
very happy with this product. the installation of the system was simple compared to five speaker systems, and has equal if not superior performance. the design is kind of elegant, I like the way it looks and operates. this is a great system for average sized rooms. best of all the overall performance for a small home theater is outstanding. I would recommend this product to anyone.
on August 5, 2009
I purchased this system because I read a lot of good reviews about it. I was not disappointed. The sound is great, from just three speakers. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for great sound without the clutter of several speakers.