Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style Name: Without BluetoothChange

VINE VOICEon January 15, 2014
Style Name: Without BluetoothVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have two children, and they've been using the previous model of this toothbrush, Philips Sonicare HX6311/02 Sonicare for Kids Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, for almost two years. We originally started with Sonicare for Kids at our dentist's recommendation, and since we made the switch, have had nothing but positive comments from our dental hygenists about how well the kids are brushing. Sonicare makes it easy.

Anyway, this new version of Sonicare for Kids is almost identical to the previous model. It's blue instead of red, and comes with eight new faceplates to let your child personalize, but it has the same physical body, uses the same charger and toothbrush heads, and - as far as I can tell - has the same motor inside as the previous model. It gives you the option of two different levels of vibration, and features a two-minute timed brushing cycle with beeps every 30 seconds to remind you to switch the brush to a new quadrant of your mouth. If your child has never used a sonic toothbrush before, I highly recommend starting at the lower level of vibration - it's very tickly till you get used to it - and using the training setting, which starts out with shorter brush cycles and gradually builds up to the full two minutes of brushing over a couple of weeks.

Though Sonicare hasn't made too many changes to their wonderful toothbrush, there are a couple of minor differences worth mentioning. First, the beeps that let you know when it's time to change where you're brushing play much, much more softly than on the old model, and that's a change that I love. On the negative side, while the former toothbrush came packaged with two different sized brush heads - one smaller sized for kids age 4-7, and one larger sized for kids age 7-10 - this new model came with only the larger sized head. That's probably okay if you have an older child, but if you have a younger one, I highly recommend trying out the smaller sized "Compact" head, Philips Sonicare HX6032/94 2 Piece Kids Brush Head, Compact. My 11 year old son has been using the larger brush heads for several years, but I greatly prefer the smaller heads for my 7 year old, because they fit in her little mouth so much better.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sonicare is one of the best electric toothbrushes, but they do make you pay for the name (and for the wildly overpriced replacement heads). This kid's brush is basically the same as the standard adult model, but with a slightly smaller grip. It's got a timer to tell kids when to change "quadrants" that goes off every 30 seconds, and it shuts off automatically after one or two minutes, as you wish. The vibration is strong and focused, and you can feel that it is getting your teeth and gums a little bit cleaner than without the motor.

(Tip: If you don't need the odd feature that "teaches" young kids to brush properly the first two weeks---a dubious idea---simply put the brush in its holder and then hold the top power button down for three seconds. It will beep once and the feature is turned off. You can turn it on again the same way if needed.)

This Sonicare is indeed a good brush for kids, and if you don't feel like shelling out even more than this for basically the same brush for yourself, you can simply switch heads on this one brush. Replacement heads can run up to ten bucks or more if bought singly (?...!!), so buy in bulk and save, at here or Costco, where we've seen them at occasionally great prices. For years Phillips said change the heads every six months, but now they say it's every three months, all while raising the price of the heads. That just smells like a ripoff to me, especially since the heads look and feel fine at three months, unless you crush the brush against your teeth, which is precisely what you don't need to do with an ET.

Considering the cost of dental care, a good electric toothbrush is a solid investment, especially for kids (paid any orthodontists lately? Might need another mortgage...). And seeing as you can just switch heads for each family member, which takes five seconds, the whole family could easily use just one brush, which makes this a good deal at 50.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2014
I have used a variety of electric toothbrushes over the years (Sonicare, Oral-B, Panasonic), but I didn't realize that Sonicare made a nice quality electric toothbrush for children. I've bought my daughter a variety of inexpensive battery operated toothbrushes, such as SpinBrush, but they seem so harsh and don't have the benefit of having a built in timer.

My 3 1/2 year old daughter has been using this toothbrush for over a month now, and I'm highly pleased. She is brushing for a full 2 minutes now, compared to the 20-30 second brushes that she did prior. It was always a fight to get her to brush her teeth before, but she enjoys using this Sonicare toothbrush for kids. My only complaint is that the brush heads are expensive, but that is typical with this type of product. However, if this toothbrush prevents even a single cavity, then the added cost is worth it.

An added tip: Do not put any brand of electric toothbrush on the charger on a daily basis, even though the manufacturer recommends it. They really only need to be charged once every few days. All rechargeable batteries have a limited life cycle of approximately 300 charges, after which the battery starts to deteriorate rather quickly. By only charging the toothbrush when it actually needs it, you will greatly extend the life of the product.
on August 17, 2014
These are great for kids. My 4 and 7 year old enjoy these toothbrushes. They are also very effective at brushing teeth. Would recommend.
For my 4 year old i ordered these small brush tips (see picture):
review image
on May 1, 2015
I looked at this toothbrush for my son first on Amazon, but then ultimately bought it at Target because they had a $5 off coupon at that time and an option to buy a 2 year Target replacement plan for $4. I've been buying the cheap, battery-operated toothbrushes for my son, but it just hit me one day that I don't want to skimp on my son's oral care anymore. I don't want to be penny-wise but pound foolish. Both my husband and I are long time Sonicare toothbrush users and are super happy with the quality and effectiveness, so of course we chose the Philips Sonicare toothbrush for our son.

So, in case you're wondering, it does not come with the red cape. I say that because when I was at the store looking at it, a woman next to me commented on what cute toothbrush it was that it had a little cape and she might have to get it for her grand kids for Christmas. Even the cashier commented how adorable it was to have a cape. Well, that's just for the box and advertisement. Not that it mattered to me...I did take photos of everything in the box for this review so you know what to expect.

And not that it's that expensive of a toothbrush, but register it with Philips as soon as you get the toothbrush! I'm all for registering any product especially electronics with the company for the "just-in-case"! My Philips Sonicare regular size toothbrush stopped functioning 7 months after I bought it (the handle would still vibrate like it was brushing, but it wasn't cleaning my teeth at all). I was able to get a free replacement without any hassle because I registered it right when I bought it. If you register it with the company you get an additional 6 months on it, so this toothbrush for my son is covered for 2.5 years until September 2017! And it didn't cost me but a couple of minutes of my time (and keep the receipt).

I've been very happy with the kids Sonicare toothbrush so far and it's passed my "finger squeaking" test even without my having to re-brush my son's teeth. My son doesn't have a problem with brushing his teeth (maybe because I let him watch Kids Youtube app on my phone while he's brushing?), but the stickers are a cute plus for this toothbrush. I would recommend this toothbrush in a heartbeat.
review image review image review image
on March 28, 2015
Sonicare is an excellent toothbrush that really cleans the buildup of plaque your teeth and the gum areas. Probably the best you can do for your teeth outside of regular dental cleanings. I've used their Flexcare model for several years, and this children's version works exactly the same. It's not too strong or powerful for my 6 and 4 year olds either.

However, as noted by other reviewers, the brush head included in this product is an adult sized (standard size) brush head. See my photo: the left is an adult brush head from the adult Flexcare toothbrush and the right is the brush head that came with this children's version. Huh?

Thankfully we purchased the smaller sized brush heads because we intended for our kids to share the toothbrush (interchanging brush heads constantly). Be warned you'll need a smaller brush head for more children under 10.
review image
This is a great idea!
Two things are pretty common in kids...
A) they aren't thrilled with having to brush
B) they LOVE stickers!

Clearly I'm not the only one that has noticed this, and Philips has noticed as well. This toothbrush has a great assortment of stickers and even skins, to personalize the brush. And the skins are easy to remove and replace. They can go back on the original backing to be used again, but after a few times of that they get a bit wonky. No worries as there are more to choose from.

I did the video prior to it actually being used by a kid. At first I thought it would be an easy grip for a 7 year old, but after observation the large handle size was a bit bulky. I changed heads and tried it myself, and it's actually easier for me to grip my adult Sonicare than it was to hold this one. This one seemed to slip a bit despite raised nubbies. I asked if my little test subject thought it was slippery, she said no. Go figure.

But the important thing is how well received it was by a child, in that area, it shines...and so little teeth will too!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2014
Hi! My name is Amy.I give the Sonicare a 4 star because it is fun with stickers,but I think when it starts to brush your teeth it's kind of too powerful.
on December 30, 2013
I have an E-Series Sonicare toothbrush that I've had... well, it seems like forever. Every time I see a dentist or hygienist they can immediately tell I use a Sonicare. (I've needed to switch dentists frequently in the last few years and my records, to my dismay, have never transferred so I know they aren't cheating and looking it up in my chart). To me, the fact that professionals can immediately spot the difference says that it is worth the extra $$$ than using a manual toothbrush.

The child's Sonicare version works just about the same as my E-Series but with the added features:
- It doesn't have the E-Series style brush head that gets goop trapped beneath the cup (gross!!!)
- Narrower handle than the E-Series for his smaller sized hands and the rubber makes it easy to grip
- Personalization with stickers make it look fun

What I really love about both brushes:
- It doesn't shut off until 2 minutes are up. It doesn't "let" me or my child cheat and do a quick brush (though you can just shut it off but then you feel guilty)
- Every 30 seconds it has a reminder to switch quadrants so that each section of your mouth gets equal brushing time. Without this I'm pretty sure my right side would be much more sparkly than my left.
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2013
The performance is entirely satisfactory, but the bells and whistles make the brush. First of all, an electric toothbrush is the way to go for a boy who doesn't like brushing., It creates the illusion he's not doing anything useful. Second, just getting to slap a couple decals on it gives him a sense of ownership.