5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be scared off--this is a great product
I recently upgraded to the M2, but I first bought the Apollo P1 several winters ago, and it works wonders for me. I sleep well now, and I have energy during the day, not to mention better mood stability.

There has been some "blue light scare" about this product lately. Just ignore it! I am a physicist and the blue light that the GoLITE emits is part of the...
Published on March 6, 2007 by Leslie Kerby

3.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework before purchasing
I purchased this product and have decided to return it. Although it is very convenient, especially for people who travel frequently as I do, I found the blue light too harsh for my eyes. After speaking with my doctor, I learned that some people with light colored eyes or who generally are a bit sensitive to light may have trouble with the LED blue light in this product...
Published on February 19, 2008 by Sarah Drew

2.0 out of 5 stars It broke, I'm crushed, December 21, 2008
Maggie (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Health GoLite M2 Blue Spectrum Light Therapy Device (Health and Beauty)
This great light helped me so much. I have always depressed in fall and early winter, til about Feb. I never thought about it until I visited a relative several times in LA and everytime I was there, my mood lifted INSTANTLY--ie the second I got off the plane, in the sun.

Someone suggested I have SAD and told me to purchase a sunlight. I did. This one. It lifted my mood when I used it--30 minutes a day. It was a miracle. I took it with me everywhere when I had no time for it. I used it in the car, at work etc. It was fantastic.

Until about 6 weeks after I got it, it broke. The light won't go on. I will be grousing to amazon and Philips tomorrow, at the beginning of a week. Stay tuned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two recent clinical studies confirm: blue light can damage eye cell DNA!, January 17, 2007
Max Eisner (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
We've all heard that ultraviolet light can damage our eyes and skin. But, as this ScienCentral News video reports,there's more evidence that blue light (400 - 500nm) can damage our eyes.

"Blue light is the most energetic portion of the visible light spectrum," says ophthalmologist Bernard Godley, of the Retina Foundation of the Southwest in Dallas.

"It's less energetic than UV radiation but it also has the ability to penetrate into tissue and cause cellular damage."

Godley, working with an international team of researchers, has shown that chronic exposure to blue light damages retina cells in the lab -- the same cells involved in age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of blindness untreatable vision loss and legal blindness in the U.S. for people over the age of 60.

"The type of damage that we're seeing in the Petri dish... could very well be occurring in macular degeneration," says Godley.

Godley and his colleagues reported in The Journal of Biological Chemistry that blue light alone can damage the power houses of the retina cells, called mitochondria, and in particular the DNA of these energy-producing structures, suggesting that any cells exposed to visible light -- including skin cells -- may sustain damage.

The researchers exposed cultured retina cells to blue light for up to six hours in the lab. Compared to cells that had been kept in the dark, they saw a loss of mitochondrial activity in the illuminated cells after only 6 hours and this loss became greater with increasing time.

Using a genetic technique called polymerase chain reaction they found that light exposure significantly damaged the DNA of the mitochondria after three hours, but by six hours the body's natural DNA repair process had kicked in, reducing the amount of damage.

"We confirmed that these changes, this damage, was caused by free radicals, which were generated by the mitochondria themselves. Evidence suggests that these changes may play a role in cellular aging, and in age-related diseases such as macular degeneration," says Godley, suggesting that, "blue light may contribute to the aging process."

AMD, which has robbed more than 10 million Americans of some or all of their vision, causes the deterioration of the cells in the center of the paper-thin, light-sensitive retina at back of the eye -- the macula -- that focuses the images we see and sends them via the optic nerve to the brain. This results in the progressive loss of central vision, affecting a person's ability to read, drive, recognize faces or colors, and generally see objects in fine detail.

In some cases, AMD advances so slowly that people notice little change in their vision, and currently available treatments can delay, and sometimes prevent, the progression of the disease, leaving the person with some vision, but there is no cure

2.0 out of 5 stars buyer beware! Do your homework before buying this product, December 26, 2006
Likesbooksalot (Walnut Creek, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
My previous review was rejected, to many URL references I expect, however I will try again. My star rating is inaccurate as well. My actual rating would be NO STARS!
I purchased one of these little devices based on online reviews of the older version, the P1, and info on the Apollo website. Luckily, on Amazon's recommendation I also purchased the book, Winter Blues, at the same time, and luckily as well, I decided to read the book before using the device.
Acording to Dr. Rosenthal, who is the author of Winter Blues, these blue light devices have not as yet been as thoroughly tested as the white light and there is some concern about their affect on ones eyes, a possible connection with Macular Degeration. (please click on the comment button to see more valuable information on this subject.)
So, my advice is order Dr. Rosenthal's book and read it first. Then make your decision as to whether to go with the thoroughly researched white light devices or go with this cute little device. My decision was to return the M2 and get one of the white lite products. I give the book a 5 star rating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spectrum Light Therapy, December 22, 2008
I used the Blue Spectrum Light Therapy Device during the times I was living in a cave in France. I thought it would help nourish my skin and provide my eyes with much needed Light sensation but all I got was a horrible headache and pain in my eyes. For days I couldn't see very well and had to sleep it off.

Also, some of the food (I was eating hermit crabs) I ate reacted vigorously against the Blue Spectrum Light which caused me to get huge patches of rashes.

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't guarantee the science but if I think I feel better does it matter?, August 30, 2009
My doctor reccomended that I try this thing. I can't say for sure that it works but overall I think I feel a bit better using it. Its no substitute for the sun but it does seem to help. If you live in a cloudy area, I reccomend giving it a shot.