Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Health and Beauty|Change

on November 14, 2010
Having exclusively used Norelco (and 1 Remington) shavers over the past 30 years, I can say that this is by far the best shaver I have used yet. Here's what I like:

* Gives a great shave
* Very quiet
* Charges quickly
* Alot less irritation than previous razors. I think the fact that the heads move to the contour of your face has alot to do with that.
* Alot easier to hold
* Looks stylish, alot slimmer than previous models

My previous top-of-the-line Remington had the cleaning kit (similar to the Norelco setup). I never really liked having to buy the cleaning fluid, and changing the filters, etc. (kind of messy). But, it was a gift, so I dealt with it.

While looking at these newer Norelco units, I was already biased into feeling that I "needed" a unit with the Jet Clean system. Today, while at Costco (sorry Amazon), my wife bought me the Norelco 1280x (no cleaning kit) as an early Xmas present (it's the "Premium Edition", $169.99 after Costco's current $30 off coupon - a good deal, I thought). After using the unit, I am very pleased with the shaving performance, as well as the cleaning.

The unit cleans very easily by running hot water on the blades for a few minutes (per the manual), after which you can open up the blades (they flip up) and continue to rinse. It's recommended that you do this after every shave, but who wants to do that every morning, right before work (not me, anyway)? I can see how doing this at least a few days a week will keep the unit very clean, without the hassle and expense of dealing with the cleaning fluid. Looking forward to more clean shaves with my new shaver.
99 comments|338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2014
The razor has worked great, I have no qualms about stating its a great class of razor, and when its working right it deserves high praise. The issue I have is the Philips customer support. I've owned the razor now for 1 year and 4 months, when i first got it the only thing I noticed odd was the slider to push the trimming head forward felt loss, others have mentioned this so I felt it was how it was designed. yesterday that piece fell off. You could tell instantly the piece is made of very thin plastic that hooks into the channel to push the head forward, its going to break for others too, especially people who use this feature of the razor a lot.

When it broke I didn't worry, as Philips heavily touts the great warrenty with this class of razor. So I contact them through their warranty help, and am told that they wont cover it! That parts are not covered under the warranty! Then they refer me to a website to have the razor repaired for $50! How can you tout a great warranty yet not fix a problem that is caused by a weak part of your construction? I am very upset by this as this is one of the most expensive electric razors and I expect better from the customer support area.
0Comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2014
Great product but Phillips' is no longer producing the original razor heads. New replacement heads are getting trashed on amazon. This kills the product in my book. Shame on phillips for charging so much for a product and then not keeping it consistent. Sadly, I am stuck looking for a new razor after spending over 200 for this one.

22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2011
Excellent razor, and Norelco is a name you can trust. Also, the product had a problem when it first arrived, Amazon was quick to send me another one overnight at no charge to me, so excellent service there too! Overall I recommend the 1280X and Jet Clean system!

5/26/2013 UPDATE

One thing I saw people asking about was the chrome piece of plastic making a squeaking or clicking noise when they first got the razor. That was the problem I had when I got my first one, but Amazon swapped it for a new one no questions asked basically, and the new one they provided seemed fine. If your new razor squeaks return it before use for a new one! It seems like Norelco does have a slight quality control issue with that part, although it doesn't affect functionality.

I've had the razor for over 2 years now. I still like the razor and the Jet Clean system a lot and would recommend it to friends and family. I actually did buy one for my Dad for Christmas and he really likes his too.

I wanted to mention that after 2 years of use my razor quit charging and at the same time my Jet Clean system suddenly wouldn't work (would light up the low fluid light when the fluid level was correct). I also tried charging the razor on the charging only base (only time I tried to use it) and it still wouldn't charge. I contacted Norelco's customer service online via chat and they sent me a new razor and new Jet Clean system. The beauty of all this was that it was just outside of the standard 2 year warranty, but I found out that by registering my product purchase online they added 6 months to the warranty, and my now 2.5 year warranty now started at my registration date, not my original purchase date (registered about a month after purchase).

I didn't bother dismantling them to see if I could diagnose the cause of the problems so have no way of knowing whether one of the two had an electrical problem that later broke the other one, but now I have all new parts and all seem to be working well. Thanks Philips for great customer service!

I hope that I get at least another 2 years out of this razor and Jet Clean system, meaning over 4 years of total use. Considering I travel a lot for work and so my razor gets banged around by TSA frequently maybe I can't hope for much more than that.

One final note, I have found that shaving with shaving cream or a shaving gel with this razor seems to result in the smoothest agitation free shave. Just keep the razor head wet and you'll have a nice smooth shave!
88 comments|276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
Over the years I have strayed from my linear foil shaver (Braun - currently a Series 7) for forays in to other ways of shaving. I've tried every razor Gillette has put out, an old-fashion double edge razor, and several Phillips Norelco rotary shavers. I always seem to end up going back to Braun as it has always worked best for me, despite having very sensitive skin.

When the Phillips Norelco SensoTouch 3d (1280cc) showed up last week, it had been about 4 days since my last shave (which means about 4.5mm hairs - or ~3/16in). I decided to shave half my face wet and half my face dry. I started with circular motions on one cheek with zero pressure, per the instructions, and was shocked at how easily this shaver cut the hair - not a single tug or the tiniest bit of irritation, although it takes about 10 circular passes over every inch to get all of the hair. I continued on to my neck. Here I noticed a bit of irritation, but it was much less than my Braun. I wet and lathered up the other half of my face and gave the SensoTouch 3d a try wet. In my opinion, the wet shave was much more irritating to my skin and didn't get any closer than the dry shave.

As with all other rotary shavers, sideburns and my upper lip are extremely difficult. For sideburns, this shaver has a pop-out cutter that does a good job - but it still leaves too much stubble and the round rotary head can't get close enough... making a clean line difficult.

Since my initial experience, I've shaved two more times (both dry). The shaver is doing great on my cheeks, but is still irritating my neck.

I've decided to give Phillips the 21 days they claim it takes to adjust to the razor, so I will update my review when I have made a final decision.

UPDATE: After giving this razor more than the recommended time, I've given up on it. The razor worked great on my cheeks, but was horrible for my neck. I sent it back to Philips for a refund, but they magically "lost it". I'm still waiting on my refund.
77 comments|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2014
Do not purchase! Seriously! If you purchase it, you must buy new unit in two years.
I purchased the shaver three years ago. And I used twice a week.
When I used it for 2 and 1/2 years, I found that the shaver had a blinking signs of faucet, exclamation, and shaving head and didn't work. Following the manual Philips provided, I purchased new shaving head and replaced it.
One month after replacing new head, the same problem happened again and again. With blinking signs, the shaver never worked, even thought it was still charging.
I called to Philips customer service several times and sent my purchase documents. But, I didn't get any response.
Lastly, I chatted with customer service rep. (Vivian), but she told me that I have to purchase new unit from philips.com directly with 15% discount. She never told me that I could fix it in Philips service center.
If you use new shaver for two years, then you must think of purchasing new one! It will happen every two years!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 26, 2014
I replaced my aging Braun shaver that would no longer hold a charge with this Norelco 1280X. At the time, it was, and appears to still be, the best razor on the market. I wanted something that would be future-proofed for at least 4 or 5 years and this fit the bill, especially given Amazon's online price which was substantially lower than anywhere else including Wal*Mart and Target.

After using this razor for the past 6-months I can report the following:

1. The shave closeness is better than any Braun shaver I have used, although i find it more difficult to get up closer to the nose than I did with the Braun... I attribute that to the drastic design differences, not the razor... going from a Braun style razor to a Norelco takes some getting used to but in the end it's worth it.

2. Has a durable feel to it, decent weight where it doesn't feel cheap. The digital screen is nice and tells you exactly how much time you have left before a recharge is required and has been fairly accurately until just recently. Now, instead of it charging up to full and showing 60 minutes available, it sometimes shows, 64 minutes, 68 minutes, and sometimes it shows less, like 55 minutes. So far it hasn't affected the use but I thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else is experiencing anything similar

3. The cleaning attachment/stand is nice and makes it easier to charge although at least on mine, the "automatic" clean setting does not appear to work. I even let the razor go for a couple months without manually hitting the clean button and it never auto-cleaned. It's also a bit annoying getting the fluid into the cleaning chamber as there's no marks telling you how far to fill it. What I discovered is, unless I filled it nearly to the top, it was really only cleaning 2 of the 3 heads. Filling it to the top also caused it to make a mess and leak anytime I had to move it on the counter when I was cleaning the bathroom, etc.

4. The razor charges quickly, and I mean REALLY quickly--way faster than any other razor I've owned and probably twice as fast as the 5-year-old Braun razor I was replacing.

5. Shave quality is amazing. (It better be for the amount Norelco is charging for the replacement heads!) Speaking of those, I have not seen a price any cheaper than what they sell for here on Amazon so you may want to buy a pack or two when you see the price drop on Amazon that way you don't have to buy them from a physical store where you'll easily pay $5-$10 more for the same replacement heads.

6. The shaving surface rotates nicely to match your facial curves. Compared to previous models, Norelco has made huge strides in improvement in this area. Shaving is comfortable and close.

6. Compared to my previous razor, this one is quieter, in fact, it is so quiet that you can actually hear someone talking outside of the bathroom which is nice as I always seem to get interrupted with questions while I'm trying to shave! At least now I can hear people. Also good for when you need to shave at night and not make a ton of noise.

7. Cleaning kit: As I mentioned above, I do use the cleaning kit with mine because it came with one when I purchased it, however, I really don't think you need it as simply running the blades under warm water removes most of the hair particles. Once you've done that, you can open up the head cover and get an even deeper clean. As long as you do this maybe once a week or so, you shouldn't need the cleaning kit. This could save you quite a bit of money if you find one somewhere that's sold by itself without the cleaning kit.

*** CONCLUSION ***

I honestly think you'll get quite a few years out of this razor before needing to purchase something new. I'll update this review if I notice any problems with it as it gets older and more use. For right now, after 6-months of use, it's working as well as the day I bought it and I still haven't needed to change the heads, although I probably will sometime this month. (I try to do it twice a year so I keep that close, and more importantly, comfortable shave.)

*** If this review helped you in any way, please let me know. It helps me know how my review has helped others and I appreciate your feedback! ***
on July 24, 2014
My razor is about 14 months old and needs replacement heads. The replacement head are unavailable and/or very very over priced. I paid about $270 for my razor and now I need new heads at $100+

I have used Norelco since I started shaving... a long time ago...

Norelco seems to have cheapened their product and are focusing on making their profit on parts and repairs. This is not the Norelco of old.

I have a 20 year old Norelco that I keep in my suitcase for travel... original batteries... It's charged up and my $270 worthless shaver is going in the trash. My next razor will not be Norelco!
on October 23, 2010
I have used several electric shavers in the past and always experienced irritation on my neck from the shaver. No matter how long I used these shavers (allowing for the adjustment) my neck would be irritated and burned after the shave. I can truly say that after using this shaver just a couple of times, I noticed the irritation became less and less noticeable. Now after using this shaver for over a month I have no irritation after I shave. I have used this shaver dry, wet and with shaving gel. I get the closest shave I have ever gotten with an electric shaver. I was kinda hesitant about spending $349.99 for an electric shaver but now I am glad I did.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2014
I bought this a year ago. As others have suggested, it works well. After a year of use I decided to change the heads as the manufacturer suggests. If you can find the exact replacement, it will cost you almost the same as the entire unit cost in the first place. Norelco has a cheaper replacement that receives very poor reviews, and it still costs quite a bit of money. The replacement is also designed differently and is less convenient to clean. I agree with most of the reviewers of the replacement head that Norelco made a very poor decision to sell you the deluxe head with the razor, and then force you to switch to a cheaper head a year later. After all, the razor head is the absolute most important part of any electric razor.