Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon January 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I generally prefer Norelco's rotary electric shavers over the screen style electric shavers, so for me the tricky part is navigating the model lineup. Comparing this 6945 model to the 7310, both of which are identically priced on Amazon as of this writing the 7310 wins out. First, the 6945 cannot be cleaned with water and must be cleaned with a brush. This means it will always have small bits of hair and skin in the razor head. The 7310 by contrast is water sealed so you can run the head under the faucet to clean it. The 7310's head is spring loaded and flips open without having to be completely removed so you can run it under the faucet with one hand. The 6945 had to be completely removed for brushing, a 2 handed operation. Both have the same lift and cut blades, though they have arbitrarily changed the heads so you can't interchange the blades.

Norelco would have you believe the 6945 is a Lithium Ion Battery, however this is provably false if you remove the back cover with a small torx wrench. Inside is a single AA NiMH battery and a small motor both very similar to the ones in the 7310.
88 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The razor is a simple shaver. Don't expect a trimming attachment or being able to run the razor without a charge and just use the power cord--it must be charged. The cut is close and outstanding. If your looking for a trimming attachment I would suggest you just get a full grooming kit as that works much better than a shaver attachment anyway. If your looking for a razor to give you a close shave that won't tear your face up in the process, then this razor is perfect. I think the Norelco brand has always produced quality products and this razor proves the legacy of quality continues within the company.
11 comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2012
I bought this shaver as spare to have handy in case my "regular" isn't fully charged, and I'm in a mad rush out the door. Well it came in handy! and boy was I surprised! I was a bit concerned since it was a "downgrade" from the regular Norelco lift and cut shaving system (this shaver has no lifts and cuts) - but hey, it gives a great shave!! I now suggest to all my buddies to always have a spare shaver, and for this price tag, it's not that big of an investment to be on the safe side. price is right, and shave is close - in short, a inexpensive shaver that gives a nice shave, without the whistles and bells!!
on July 13, 2012
I bought this razor for my husband for Father's Day, not because his old one was broken, but because when we travel we have had problems in the past finding an outlet that was convenient to plug the old one in. This razor is absolutlely amazing. It holds a charge for a long time and now we don't worry about where the outlets are! We love it.
on November 21, 2012
I used Norelco since the 1960s and while the heads are always great, the batteries had problems a few years back with the switch from Ni-cad. This model seems to have solved the problems as it runs at a very good speed. I tore the thing apart and the parts, battery, and electronics are good. Workmanship and assembly look top notch and I would bet you get tired of it long before it wears out.

One tip, if you have an old 6940, the trimmer parts are interchangeable and it is a pretty simple matter to swap out the original parts to convert this model to the trimmer version.

It also works with the older HQ55 heads as well as the HQ56 versions and amazingly, uses the good old fashioned cord from the original models, without the external transformer issues from some 7000 and 8000 series models. However, the heads that come with it are a much cheaper version called "CloseCut". I haven't seen these anywhere for sale separately, and I would guess they are cutting costs like the printer people do when selling a printer with a partly filled cartridge. The CloseCut heads DO NOT have Lift and Cut which has been a standard since the ancient HQ3 heads from 40 years ago. I have a set of HQ56 heads and these are not the same at all. So don't judge the quality of the shave from the cheaper blades. Lift and Cut makes a huge difference.

Also, be aware that the above listings are wrong. This has a NiMH rather than Lithium Ion battery (no big deal) and it is not from the Netherlands; it is made in China.

Added:

Unfortunately, I have found that the battery dies off rather fast and as it does the speed of rotation slows down as well. After just 2 shaves, I can clearly hear the difference and after 4-5 shaves it is unusable and needs a charge. Ni-Cad batteries never had this problem. I have to assume that the newer batteries are just not suitable for driving motors at a constant speed without better circuitry, especially when they try to get by with a single battery (Norelcos in the good old Ni-Cad days used 2 batteries). I suppose that charging this thing every three days would solve the problem, but I just plan to use it with a cord.
on November 30, 2012
A couple of notes: this razor is identical to a newer branded "6945/XL" which is what mine actually came labeled. Also, I paid $22 at the time ($28 now as of this writing.)

Even at the $28, it's a good, budget shaver that will get the job done. If you are expecting a shaver you can use in the shower and that gets as close as a blade in one pass - look elsewhere. Also, don't look at $28 razors.

As a few negative reviews have noted, it isn't the most powerful or aggressive razor, but I was impressed considering the staggeringly low price.

Update [12/2013]: Still going strong on the original blades. I typically only shave above twice a week because I'm lazy about it, but still working fine. I can't imagine how much I would have spent on replacement blades for my old Sensor in this amount of time.

Incidentally, I now see this available in many brick-and-mortar stores for the same price as Amazon if you don't want to wait for it.
on May 6, 2012
I'm a longtime Norelco shaver user, and recently the shaver I'd been using for approximately 7 years gave up the ghost. I shopped Amazon, got an amazing deal (much better than any of the local discount stores), and within 24 hours had a brand new razor! Interestingly, this is the 4th week I've used it and I have yet to recharge the battery! I'm not only super-pleased with my new Norelco but also REALLY super-pleased with the great service I received from Amazon. Thanks! And keep up the good work!Philips Norelco 6945 Cordless Razor, Black/Grey
on June 18, 2012
I received this product on time. It is ok for shaving but really doesn't get a close shave and makes a lot of in grown hairs. I would not buy it again.
on November 13, 2013
This shaver shaves good until the heads become dull. Which usually occurs within the 1st year. Unfortunately, replacement cost of the head almost equals cost of complete razor and heads if on sale.

I thought I would comment on a money saving solution to this problem which has worked for me. It involves reverting to the old shaver technology prior to floating heads. Many of us have had the older norelco shavers. I first watched a traveling guy who would go to towns and "tune up" their old norelco shavers. This consisted of light removing of hairs and a drop of oil along with the most important task of sharpening the heads.

How did he do it? Quite simply by pressing the metal screen against a hairless finger tip or palm of this hand. Now you just need to apply this to your shaver. But wait. You have a floating head which prevents the force needed to push metal against metal (screen and rotating shavers).

Solution: Remove the plastic that isolates the 3 heads, rinse in water, dry, apply glue of choice (I used cyanoacrylate) and then I waited 30 minutes and reinserted into shaver. This prevents the heads from moving much. Next turn on the shaver and apply finger pressure to one head at a time. After a few minutes all 3 heads are close to as sharp as new and your finished.

Life is a risk and your walk may not end as well as mine. Hope you have a good journey and good luck.

P.S. If I were a manufacturer of shavers. Putting in floating heads to prevent sharpening while flaunting the virtues of going around facial obstacles with less chance of nicking skin is and was a brilliant idea.
on March 2, 2013
This model is less expensive but badly made. The body and blades have excessive tolerances, creating vibrations and noise. Everything is plastic and reflect poor engineering. When you shave the blade unit slides creating discomfort and lacks precision.