5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Quality

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Norelco 7310 instead
Published on January 26, 2012 by Joel Schopp

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Norelco 7310 instead, January 26, 2012
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I generally prefer Norelco's rotary electric shavers over the screen style electric shavers, so for me the tricky part is navigating the model lineup. Comparing this 6945 model to the 7310, both of which are identically priced on Amazon as of this writing the 7310 wins out. First, the 6945 cannot be cleaned with water and must be cleaned with a brush. This means it will always have small bits of hair and skin in the razor head. The 7310 by contrast is water sealed so you can run the head under the faucet to clean it. The 7310's head is spring loaded and flips open without having to be completely removed so you can run it under the faucet with one hand. The 6945 had to be completely removed for brushing, a 2 handed operation. Both have the same lift and cut blades, though they have arbitrarily changed the heads so you can't interchange the blades.

Norelco would have you believe the 6945 is a Lithium Ion Battery, however this is provably false if you remove the back cover with a small torx wrench. Inside is a single AA NiMH battery and a small motor both very similar to the ones in the 7310.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Quality, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The razor is a simple shaver. Don't expect a trimming attachment or being able to run the razor without a charge and just use the power cord--it must be charged. The cut is close and outstanding. If your looking for a trimming attachment I would suggest you just get a full grooming kit as that works much better than a shaver attachment anyway. If your looking for a razor to give you a close shave that won't tear your face up in the process, then this razor is perfect. I think the Norelco brand has always produced quality products and this razor proves the legacy of quality continues within the company.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Dry Head Electric Shaver -- Never going back to anything else, November 28, 2012
Jimmy Kim (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I've been using the classic razor-head shaver for years now only because I did not have a lot of facial hair to start with and so I put very little effort or care into my grooming.
This has all changed recently and the sub-par razor did me no justice and so I needed to look for options. Amazon, of course, was the obvious place to look.
I saw that the Philips Norelco Electric shaver was on sale for $22 with a $5 clipped coupon and I knew that this would be the obvious choice for my first real shaver.

Pros/Features:
+ Comes with three flexing floating pinch-free shaving heads so you will essentially never pinch your skin.
+ It also comes with a cap to protect the razor heads, a hair brush to clean the innards, and a charger.
+ The head can be detached where there is a reservoir for the shaved hair to be collected and then refused.
+The body is sturdy and ergonomic and has great weight to it so it feels very nice in your hand
+ The shaver also can last a full 30 minutes which is PLENTY of time to shave (I hope so).

Cons:
- Requires 8 hours to charge

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok product but not great., June 18, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I received this product on time. It is ok for shaving but really doesn't get a close shave and makes a lot of in grown hairs. I would not buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the Buck., November 21, 2012
Sam (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I used Norelco since the 1960s and while the heads are always great, the batteries had problems a few years back with the switch from Ni-cad. This model seems to have solved the problems as it runs at a very good speed. I tore the thing apart and the parts, battery, and electronics are good. Workmanship and assembly look top notch and I would bet you get tired of it long before it wears out.

One tip, if you have an old 6940, the trimmer parts are interchangeable and it is a pretty simple matter to swap out the original parts to convert this model to the trimmer version.

It also works with the older HQ55 heads as well as the HQ56 versions and amazingly, uses the good old fashioned cord from the original models, without the external transformer issues from some 7000 and 8000 series models. However, the heads that come with it are a much cheaper version called "CloseCut". I haven't seen these anywhere for sale separately, and I would guess they are cutting costs like the printer people do when selling a printer with a partly filled cartridge. The CloseCut heads DO NOT have Lift and Cut which has been a standard since the ancient HQ3 heads from 40 years ago. I have a set of HQ56 heads and these are not the same at all. So don't judge the quality of the shave from the cheaper blades. Lift and Cut makes a huge difference.

Also, be aware that the above listings are wrong. This has a NiMH rather than Lithium Ion battery (no big deal) and it is not from the Netherlands; it is made in China.

Added:

Unfortunately, I have found that the battery dies off rather fast and as it does the speed of rotation slows down as well. After just 2 shaves, I can clearly hear the difference and after 4-5 shaves it is unusable and needs a charge. Ni-Cad batteries never had this problem. I have to assume that the newer batteries are just not suitable for driving motors at a constant speed without better circuitry, especially when they try to get by with a single battery (Norelcos in the good old Ni-Cad days used 2 batteries). I suppose that charging this thing every three days would solve the problem, but I just plan to use it with a cord.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice shave, May 9, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I bought this shaver as spare to have handy in case my "regular" isn't fully charged, and I'm in a mad rush out the door. Well it came in handy! and boy was I surprised! I was a bit concerned since it was a "downgrade" from the regular Norelco lift and cut shaving system (this shaver has no lifts and cuts) - but hey, it gives a great shave!! I now suggest to all my buddies to always have a spare shaver, and for this price tag, it's not that big of an investment to be on the safe side. price is right, and shave is close - in short, a inexpensive shaver that gives a nice shave, without the whistles and bells!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Norelco shaver the best!, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I'm a longtime Norelco shaver user, and recently the shaver I'd been using for approximately 7 years gave up the ghost. I shopped Amazon, got an amazing deal (much better than any of the local discount stores), and within 24 hours had a brand new razor! Interestingly, this is the 4th week I've used it and I have yet to recharge the battery! I'm not only super-pleased with my new Norelco but also REALLY super-pleased with the great service I received from Amazon. Thanks! And keep up the good work!Philips Norelco 6945 Cordless Razor, Black/Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobby's Fathers Day Gift, July 13, 2012
Marilyn (Pelion, Seychelles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I bought this razor for my husband for Father's Day, not because his old one was broken, but because when we travel we have had problems in the past finding an outlet that was convenient to plug the old one in. This razor is absolutlely amazing. It holds a charge for a long time and now we don't worry about where the outlets are! We love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget shaver, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
A couple of notes: this razor is identical to a newer branded "6945/XL" which is what mine actually came labeled. Also, I paid $22 at the time ($28 now as of this writing.)

Even at the $28, it's a good, budget shaver that will get the job done. If you are expecting a shaver you can use in the shower and that gets as close as a blade in one pass - look elsewhere. Also, don't look at $28 razors.

As a few negative reviews have noted, it isn't the most powerful or aggressive razor, but I was impressed considering the staggeringly low price.

Update [12/2013]: Still going strong on the original blades. I typically only shave above twice a week because I'm lazy about it, but still working fine. I can't imagine how much I would have spent on replacement blades for my old Sensor in this amount of time.

Incidentally, I now see this available in many brick-and-mortar stores for the same price as Amazon if you don't want to wait for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but Works, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
Apparently I don't fully pay attention sometimes when I buy an item. This Norelco Razor is a case in point. I completely missed the fact that it does not have a set of clippers to even sideburns. Guess I never gave that a thought as all the Norelco Razors I have ever owned came with that.
The razor has a vibration when in use that seems a bit harsh. All electric razors vibrate some and it is just something that goes with shaving but on this one the amount of vibration caused me to take notice and remark that this is afterall a cheap razor
That said, I have used only Norelco razors for +/- 35 years and intend to continue that even after this unit wears out - which will not be all that long in my estimation. This razor has sharp blades and does work fairly well although I believe that the heads don't follow the contours of my face as well as my last Norelco razor did. Recommend it? No. Buy another one like it? No. Recommend a higher quality Norelco razor to a friend? Yes.

Philips Norelco 6945XL Electric Razor