1,160 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Shaver...
This is the 4th electric shaver that I have owned and the 2nd rotary type. I have owned the top of the line shaver from Panasonic, as well as mid-range units from Braun and Remington.

Published on December 27, 2008 by BigBehemoth

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Shaver
****Please note that I decided to tighten and revise this review, as I have had this razor for several years. I would now give it 4 stars for quality, 5 stars for value. My initial opinion was too negative.

Published on October 10, 2008 by Art

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Shaver..., December 27, 2008
This review is from: Philips Norelco 7310 Men's Shaving System (Health and Beauty)

The same thing has happened every time in the past. I give it two to three months and then I am back to a disposable razor that can shave closer, with less hassle, and less irritation. The number one reason each time for going back to a disposable was how the electric shaver failed to handle my neck hair. None of them seemed to be able to the job no matter what and then the hassle on the units I had that had an expensive cleaning unit made it a pain to use.

Well I got the bug again to try an electric razor one more time and ended up purchasing this unit. And now after having it for a while I have to say that this is the best electric shaver that I have had. First and foremost it can handle my neck. It can't get it all in one pass, but the others couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried! Second, being able to just rinse the head under the sink is wonderful. No more cleaning systems that are bulky and expensive with the continual cost of the cleaning solution. Third, is that it is a surprisingly close shave. I kind of expected a 5 o'clock shadow by noon with a rotary shaver, but that isn't the case here. It is very close to a shave with a razor, NO KIDDING!

It isn't the perfect electric razor, but it is more than worth the price. There are only two things that stick out with me that could have been done better and both are related to charging. First, it takes 8 hours to charge the unit from being almost dead, with no quick charge capabilities. You can get around it by just using it plugged in when you are in the middle of the charge. Second, is that there is no battery level indicator. It would be nice to have some sort of idea of how much of a charge you have left.

In my book, these are just two minor issues that aren't that important to me, but keep me from giving it 5 stars. I have and will continue to recommend this unit to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value; avoid the more expensive ones, November 14, 2009
foiegras "foiegras" (Ketchum, ID United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these six months ago and it works as well as any of the more expensive Norelco Shavers I've owned over the years (quite a number of them).

The more expensive ones charge faster, and might give information about how much usage time remains, but aside from that they have essentially no advantages.

I have a much more expensive one that lasted about 2.5 years and stopped holding a charge. Out of curiosity I took the thing apart (requires a small hex screwdriver), with the hope that I could replace the rechargeable batteries myself. What I found inside was essentially a very cheaply made product containing very cheap components (and this was one of the Norelco Razors made in Holland, that cost around $100). All the moving parts are made of plastic, and the batteries were two AA NiCads soldered in place. Some of the newer and more expensive Norelcos now have Lithium batteries. Anyone familiar with Lithium batteries knows that although they charge quickly and hold a lot of charge, when new, they degrade quickly and can become unusable in as little as a year or two.

Based upon what I saw inside of the more expensive razor, I would treat all Norelcos as disposable items not expected to last more than a couple of years, 3 at the outside. This is not your grandfather's Norelco razor; cost and quality have been engineered OUT. Given this, I'd go with a cheap one like this one I'm rating, because the function is essentially identical, and when it dies on you, you can toss it without feeling like you got ripped off.

The (replaceable) heads on this razor will last about as long as the razor itself (Norelco says to change them in a year but they will last a lot longer than that with acceptable performance). Anyone who has bought replacement Norelco heads knows that they cost almost as much as this razor, which is another additional expense you can avoid if you buy this razor then toss it when either the internal batteries, or the heads, die on you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Shaver, October 10, 2008
Art (New Jersey) - See all my reviews

This shaver provides a fairly standard Norelco (i.e. 3 head rotary shaver) shave. This is my third Norelco (well second, but I bought a third one recently), and by far the lowest priced one I've owned. If you like the Norelco shave, I think this is an excellent value. Of course, many prefer the Braun/Phillips type single head razors, but it seems there is no way to tell who will prefer which. If you have never tried a Norelco, this would be a good model to try because of the low price.

I now have an 8345 (which is the same as the 8340 but comes with extra heads) in addition to this one. The 8345 may be more money and newer, but they look, feel and shave fairly similarly. 8345 has more holes on the heads (can only be good I guess) but the motor sounds like it runs a lot slower. They seem to shave about as well, but the cheaper 7310 actually seems a bit gentler on the face (maybe because the 8345 has more holes but runs slower).

The 7310 feels generally solid enough and comfortable in the hand. Feels like all the Norelco's do, more or less. The pop up trimmer seems reasonably solid, and functions like all of these pop-up trimmers do. It will shave your sideburns, but you may or may not be satisfied with it. Nature of the beast.

The plug is also a little on the large side, which could be an issue for traveling, though not that bad really. I dont think it came with a travel case, but I could have misplaced it.

The battery cannot be changed easily because its welded in. At $40-50 for the razor, I suppose that is not a huge issue, but its not a plus factor either. I think this is true of all Norelcos.

This razor does hold a charge for quite a while, its good for several shaves without a recharge. However, there is no charge indicator at all. There is a green light that comes on when the razor is on, and another green light when its plugged in, but nothing changes as the battery gets low that I can see. You know it needs a charge when the motor starts to slow. A 5 or 10 minute emmergency charge is fine, so its not a great problem.

About the only difference between this razor and the $100+ Norelco I used to own was that the expensive one had a battery charge indicator. Maybe there was more metal and less plastic in the more expensive one, but...so what?

I have had this razor for 2 1/2 years, and use it about every other day. Maybe the battery doesnt last as long and the heads are duller, but its nothing I notice. I have put 0 money in it, and it still works well and compares well to my other electric razors.

Verdict: good shaver if you like Norelco's, and a bargain at $40-50. Spending more money is recommended if you want a batter charge indicator, but beyond that, not clear to me what you get for your extra money. If you like the Braun-type razors better, I dont know of any reason why this one would convert you, but I can otherwise recommend this razor pretty strongly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet, July 7, 2009
I bought this razor to replace a 6 month old Architec. The architec was one of the poorest performing razors I have ever owned in over 40 years. So I bought this razor with very low expectations.
I was totally amazed by the 7310. It is so quiet the bathroom fan almost drowns it out, but the cut is AMAZING. I have had seven Norelco shavers so when I tried this unit, I couldn't believe it. I can shave in 30 seconds instead of the 7 minutes for the Architec. It is close, comfortable, no heavy pressing to get a close cut, and best of all is the price. The whole new shaver was cheaper than buying just the replacement head for the Architec. And the 7310 is EASY to clean. Flip the head, flush under running water for a few seconds, and let it dry. No static whisker cling like the Architec. I'd give it six stars if I could.
Thanks, Norelco

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Shaver, Great Price, Bit Ugly, November 28, 2009
Pros:
Very close and comfortable shave
Excellent sideburn trimmer
Good battery life
Charge completed flashing LED's
Price is right if . . .

Cons:
No battery status indication, none expected
Tacky colors

I've been shaving for over forty years, mostly electric and mostly Norelco. For 3-months I had a Remington R450, see my review, huge dissapointment. Every couple of years Norelco tries to come up with a new gimmick to get us to purchase the latest and greatest. Thing is that Norelco got it right 30-years ago. The cutters and combs in the 7310 are the essence of that technology and if you can spin the cutters you'll have a close shave. All the other Whistles & Bells are just fluff.

Norelco claims 10 days of cordless shaving on a 8-hour charge. The charge full indicator started flashing at 2-hours, done. I went 9-days and wondered how much longer, on the tenth day the motor started slowing down and it quit halfway through the eleventh day. By stretching the battery after the first charge/discharge I was able to get 12-days, well actually 11.9-days, could have used another minute of shaving. I stretch a NiCd by running the battery dead with the cutters flipped open for the lowest motor load. Pretty impressive for a single AA NiCd battery.

People claim this is a good/great budget shaver. Nonsense, this is a excellent cordless shaver that can be had at a budget price. I got mine from the big W for thirty-one to my PO Box. It came in the full retail blister pack. By the time I got it to my house, 8500-feet, I thought it was going to explode. I saw at least two retailers have it for a bit less on Black Friday. Makes you wonder what the models that cost 4-5 times as much have to offer?

So why is it ugly? Well of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this old eye doesn't do black and white on a shaver, all black . . sure, all white . . probably not, all silver like my deceased 7865XL's . . YES!!! I still gave the 7310 5-stars, I don't see the colors while shaving. BTW, I do like the white power switch.

If you look at the photos I posted, you'll see that the 7310 consists of a small waterproof power module encased in four cosmetic shells. It's these shells that allow Norelco to play the silly color games at no additional cost. The sides even have rubber bonded to the shell. Turns out I shave with my thumb between the power switch and head and my fingers over the trimmer, so I don't even feel the "slip proof" rubber. Where are your fingers?

So if the feature set meets your needs, don't hesitate to get the 7310, it will deliver a comfortable close shave. As to the colors, only you can decide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the cost of the disposables - Back to Elec., November 28, 2008
Norelco 7310XL Reflex Plus Cord/Cordless Electric Shaver
Was a Norelco fan with higher cost units. Then went to a razor. The cost of blades and disposables got me back to this 7310. It works great, confortable shave, no nicks. Seems to me the blades turn slower than my previous Norelco. Takes alittle longer to get the job done. Enjoy the ability to wash the unit in water. Better for me than using a brush to clean out the cut hairs. Works for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent low cost shaver, April 26, 2009
R. K. Lam (Fullerton, CA USA) - See all my reviews
After having this for 6 months and it being my first electric shaver, I am thoroughly impressed by it. I use to be a manual razor using Mach 3's and Quattro's but after trying this, its pretty much all I use daily unless I need a really close shave.

It feels like quality despite the price! Very solid and sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to Use and Shaves Great, September 3, 2009
I've been using this razor daily for about a month now. The first thing you will notice is how quiet it is, followed by the great shave it provides and finally how easy it is to clean up by just running it under hot water. While charging takes about 8 hours, it stays charged for a long, long time. Since the initial charge, I've only had to charge it twice. I was using a Braun Series 1 1-150 razor (see my review) and liked it. But I found that over time, it did not shave very well under my chin and on my neck, and it took a lot of time to fully do the job correctly. Not so with the Norelco! As with all electric razors, I recommend that you use a pre-electric shave lotion (I like Afta Pre-Shave) to make the shave easier and cause less razor burn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, June 30, 2009
I am actually a barber and i need to buy one of these a little more often than the average person that uses it for personal use. I only stay with the NORELCO brand tho. I like their products and they always last. This one from the gate gives a really smooth shave. I have been using it for 2 months straight, 5 days a week on people and the blades are still sharp. If it lasts me a year or two for my job, then it can last like up to 5 years for personal use. Definitely a good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, September 9, 2009
Bought this for my husband - he LOVES it! Says it's probably the best shave he's ever had. He requested it based on previous reviews and says it is everything he expected. You won't be disappointed! Laurie

Philips Norelco 7310 Men's Shaving System