Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 25, 2012
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bottom line: This model is very similar to the AT830, but comes in at a lower price. Unfortunately, it also comes in at a lower performance level. I think it's worth spending a bit more to get the AT830.

On the basis of actual specifications, the AT810 and the AT830 look pretty similar. They both have the same overall form factor, use the same HQ8 heads, and offer wet and dry shaves. However, the AT830 has a pivot head that allows the whole head assembly to pivot and adjust to your facial contours. I found that made a real difference in shave quality and comfort (as described in my review of the 830).

Both models are comfortable to hold, with nicely rounded areas and an easy-to-grip surface. Both have about the same build quality - generally OK, but I am concerned about the light-weight plastic retaining system for the combs and cutters. Both also come with just the basics (shaver, charger, head cap and cleaning brush). No stand or case.

As with the 830, I was not impressed with the dry shave quality of the 810. It was irritating in the neck area (even a bit more than the 830) and struggled to get all the hairs on the jaw line. Both models were much better on the cheek area, but still (in my opinion) a notch below what a good foil shaver can do.

Performance is much better as a wet shaver. I found the 830 equaled the performance of the SensoTouch 3D, a much more expensive model from Norelco. The 810 is not as good, which I assume is due to the lack of the pivoting head. I clearly felt the difference between the two in the jaw line and neck areas. To be clear, the 810 did a decent job as a wet shaver. It's just that the 830 is better.

I appreciate a good value product, and often find that spending more to get the "next model up" just gets you some so-so bells and whistles rather than better performance. However, there are also times when spending a bit more results in a better experience. This is one of those cases. Although I'd have to recommend a foil rather than either the 810 or 830 if you want to shave dry, if you're in the market for a rotary wet shaver you'll want to skip the 810 and go for the 830.
1515 comments| 613 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2012
Pros:

-cheaper than buying cartridge razors like the Fusion, especially if you shave twice a day
-less irritating, once your skin gets used to it
-waterproof
-light, long lasting battery pack (I charge it once a week)
-easy to clean

Cons:

-not as close of a shave as disposable blade razors
-hard to get a close shave on angle of jaw and neck
-big and bulky and traps water in its nooks and crannies, not the best travel shaver
-Planned obsolescence: Battery pack is not user serviceable, once it stops holding a charge, it's scrap. Also with the high cost of replacement heads at half of the cost of a new shaver, it's almost a foregone conclusion you'll be upgrading to a new one in a year or two.

In short: read the instructions, take the 20 days (I'd say a month) for your skin to acclimate, and clean the shaving heads regularly.
22 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
I've had electric razors before, some rotary and some foil heads, but I've always returned to the blade and foam because it just seemed I would get a much closer shave. Well, I think Norelco really got it right with this model electric shaver. You do have to give it the time it wants to do the job, but I have come to believe it can match the blade for closeness and it doesn't irritate your skin like some electric shavers do. I have to admit that I was kind of skeptical about Norelco's slots and holes in the shaving head. They claim that the holes get closer to cutting off the stubble that the slots leave behind. It sounded like advertising hype to me. Well, Norelco was right. It must be the reason why the Norelco gives you such a close shave. I'm amazed how good it can shave you. It can match the blade for closeness, so I've retired the blade and don't miss it one bit. Good job,Norelco!!
33 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
I have been a long time user of electric razors primarily because my face is very sensitive. I would love the closeness of a razor blade and having the refreshing feeling you get from using shaving cream. But unfortunately shaving with a razor blade was a bloody mess for me (literally, not the British vernacular). It didn't matter if I used the best razor blade system or whatever kind of shaving cream. I really had no other option than to use an electric razor and this worked fine for me for decades. That is until my latest Norelco bit the dust and I needed to buy a new one. After reading the overall good reviews for the Norelco AT810 Powertouch with Aquatec, I figured I would give it a try even if I wasn't planning on using it with water and shaving cream. I was very pleased with how it shaved dry and would have been very satisfied if that's how I was going to use it. But one day I tried it with shaving cream....WOW!!! It worked great and the end result was getting a razor close shave. No nicks, no cuts, just close! After use, you just open up the lid and rinse out and let air dry. I also like the way the AT810 is whisper quiet. Not that it probably matters much, I used Edge shaving cream. I'm sure you could use pretty much any kind. I could not be happier with this electric razor. Now for our friends across the pond, I suppose it's fair that I should now use the British vernacular...IT'S BLOODY AWESOME!!!
on April 2, 2012
I came from using a crappy Remington to this. It's like a night and day difference. It cuts very close and doesn't irritate my skin. I like how it's very easy to clean, just run it over the tap and your done. It fully charges in one hour which is great! I will definitely use Norelco products in the future and recommend to friends. Let's see how long it lasts =D Also if you register online you get a additional 6 months on the warranty. So it's a 2.5 year warranty, not bad at all.
on November 9, 2012
I have not used this shaver with water but it does a great job dry. The shave is close and fast. What is really amazing about this shaver is the battery. It charges in about an hour and lasts around three weeks! The shaver seems to run at the same speed right up to the time the battery needs charging again. I am very happy with this shaver.
on October 23, 2013
I have owned three Norelco electric shavers over the past 50 years and have always been extremely pleased with the close shave and long life of each shaver. This latest purchase of the AT810 is truly remarkable! It shaves better than earlier models and is sleek in design. I don't intend on shaving in the shower so I can't recommend for that purpose. I believe I will buy a second identical shaver for a spare when travel out of town. You can't go wrong with this fine shaver.
on February 12, 2016
I received my Philips Norelco Shaver 4100 from Amazon about 10 days ago. It's my first electric after using a regular razor for many years. My step-son has used a Norelco for several years and loves it, so after I retired and quit shaving every morning, I decided to try one. My once-a-week morning scrape wasn't working-the long hairs clogged the multi-blade razor to uselessness on a 3-day growth. I first bought an inexpensive beard trimmer clippers, but it seemed like too much work to clip and shave both. I looked at all the electrics on Amazon and read all the reviews (as I always do). This model looked like it had the different shaver heads than the really low priced models, so I decided to go for this model in the $50-$60 price range.

When I got the 4100, I charged it up and read the instructions. The instructions said to use a light touch. Since I hadn't shaved for a week, I decided to press a little harder than what I would call a light touch. The 4100 surprisingly got all the long hairs despite what the naysayers said in some reviews. I did get some razor burn on my neck. Some rubbing alcohol (I like the sting) and hand lotion fixed that. 3-4 days later I shaved with the 4100 again, this time with a lighter touch. It was a good shave, but I still got a little burn. More alcohol. The last time I shaved, just before writing this review, I decided to use a really light touch and see how it worked. Shoot, I still got a good shave and no discomfort from razor burn. It really works like they say using a light touch.

Pros
The 4100 is very quiet.
It is easy to open up and clean dry or wet.
It gives a good shave effortlessly with no hard pressing.
It's light and easy to maneuver.
It got all the long hairs from a week-old beard.
The clipper works good on the side burns.

Cons
I haven't found any at this point.
on September 8, 2013
I shave my head, face and chest with it. You have to use something else for the initial shave, but if you keep it up, it is great.

I bought it because I hate haircuts, and most of my hair is gone on top. Since I started using it, girls look at me and smile. I don't look homeless anymore. I do not have razor cuts. It turned my whole life around. I am confident that I am winning the Powerball next time, because if it.
on April 2, 2013
I've always used foil shavers (Braun, Grundig, Remington) when not using blades in the past but I used my Dad's newest Norelco a couple of times and figured I might as well give this one a try. This is a less expensive model than Dad has, but still gets the job done. What I do like about it is that #1 it doesn't try too hard to cut too close, resulting in razor burn and #2 it doesn't get hot like most of the foil shavers I've used. When the foil shavers have gotten warm/hot at the foil is where razor burn was most likely to occur. As for the negatives, these can be avoided by getting a more expensive model. The cutting heads aren't very aggressive and the motor is weak. What this means is that some areas will take several passes. If you want a quicker shave, you'll need to step up to a more expensive model, like one from the SensoTouch line. The one thing I didn't realize when I bought this one was that is not a "cord/cordless" model. I have always bought cord/cordless in the past and would have passed on this one if I'd realized it was cordless only. The problem with cordless only is that #1- when the battery fails you're pretty much screwed since they don't make the batteries user-accessible like the shave heads. Cord/cordless allows you years more service after the battery fails. #2- If/when the shaver seems to get weak or not hold a charge, you're left guessing whether it's the battery or the motor. Cord/cordless models run at the highest possible voltage when you plug them in so you can tell if it's the battery and not be handicapped by a weak battery. Just plug it in. It's a shame it doesn't come with a car adapter, since it would make a good backup/glovebox shaver. For the price, it's not even a bad primary unit as long as you aren't too impatient.