5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shaver Ever
Published 22 months ago by Pianopal

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Lightweight Razor
I shaved with a blade for many years, but have tried several different electrics over the past year because I like the convenience of not having to stand in front of a bathroom mirror to shave. In my quest to find the right razor for me I tried a Norelco SensoTouch 3D, a Braun, and now this Norelco AT830.

The AT830 actually gave me a better shave than the...
Published on February 15, 2012 by Wing

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shaver Ever, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco AT830 Powertouch with Aquatec Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
I have a difficult beard--it's tough and the hairs grow slightly sideways so I have to pull the skin to the side with one hand to get them to stand up. When I first started shaving I used a blade and had to finish up by pulling it against the grain to get a smooth result. But my skin would get irritated and break out, so I went to a Remington electric. Since that time I have had several Remingtons, a Braun, and this is my third Norelco. I have used it every day now for several months, and it is the best one I've ever had.

I was going to reward myself with the most expensive "3-D" model but several things made me choose this one. First, the 3-D uses what looks like a more advanced shaver head, but all of the higher end models just below that (including the 2-D) use the HQ-8 heads, so I didn't think the difference in performance would be all that noticeable considering the premium price. Plus the 3-D apparently flexes every which way but Sunday, but this one flexes way more than enough, so I didn't see an advantage significant enough to justify the higher price.

Second, to use the trimmer on the Norelcos with a "neck" (like the 2 and 3-D) you have to snap it on as an extra accessory. One of my other Norelcos was like that and it was always a minor annoyance. The integrated pop-up trimmer on this model is so much handier and has the perfect angle for trimming even nose and ear hair as well as sideburns.

Third, my older Norelco had a charging stand and it was a major annoyance. Lightweight and cheap, the shaver sat in it awkwardly and would tip over if you weren't careful. It was a pain to travel with it as well. It is so much handier to just plug the cord into the shaver and let it charge that way.

Finally, I got the Aquatec model, not because I use it to shave wet, but because it is easy to clean by just holding it under running water. Some have complained that you can't use it with a cord (I assume that is so you don't electrocute yourself while shaving wet), but there are plenty of warning lights when the battery is running low. Also charging doesn't take that long (in an emergency you can get a quick five-minute shave with only a five-minute charge) and lasts for a good while (I have only had to recharge the shaver once so far).

Some have complained that the heads are surrounded by a border that keeps the cutters from close places like around the nose. I know what they mean, but a bit of extra pressure gets them into the corners and it is certainly not even close to a deal breaker for me.

In short, this is the best shaver I have ever owned. I still have a high-end Braun and it does a good job as well. But it is noisy and doesn't pick up longer, twisted, or stray hairs as well. So, I highly recommend this Norelco as the best combination of price and performance in the entire line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Lightweight Razor, February 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The AT830 actually gave me a better shave than the fancier and more expensive SensoTouch. The closeness and time shaving were about the same, but I got less irritation with the AT830, particularly in the sensitive area below my chin. One big thing I like about the Norelco rotary razors is the fact that they are really quiet. They're also comfortable to hold and lightweight. Thumbs up for ergonomics.

What I didn't like about the AT830 were the lack of features. There is no battery meter, only a light that flashes when the battery is about to run out. A big detractor is the fact that you cannot use this razor plugged in; you have to wait until there is a charge and unplug it before you can use it. If you need to shave and the battery's run out, you're out of luck.

I will say that I get a better shave with the Bran--closer, quicker, and with no irritation. However, everyone's skin is different, and it's worth trying a variety of different razors to find out which works best for your skin. If you are looking to try a rotary razor I would recommend this one over the more expensive SensoTouch.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly above-average mid-range electric shaver, January 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do not know where all the research is coming from that is allowing so many advances in electric razor technology, but Philips and other companies seem to release a new line of electric shavers every year. I think for the last decade, there has been a competition, starting with manual razors trying to see how many blades they could add to their razors (my current razor has six), and electric shavers responding by seeing how many different models they could put on the market. Philips Norelco currently has almost two dozen different models listed on their web site, and I have never in my life had so much difficulty now and in the past, as I do trying to distinguish between them. The AT830 is part of their new line of shavers released in February 2012. From what I can tell, they are discontinuing most of their current line in favor of these new razors.

Below I'll provide a brief rundown of the current main product lines, followed by the different models within that line in brackets (least expensive to most), and then discuss this actual model.

-------------- PN's CURRENT RAZOR LINE --------------

6000 Series [6940, 6955] - This is Philips Norelco's base level of razors. They, along with the 7000 and 8200 series are dry shavers, meaning they cannot be used in the shower and are not designed to be used with any foams or gels. The 6000 series do have floating heads, but there is no movement in the head unit. These models are corded.

7000 Series [7310, 7315, 7325, 7340, 7345, 7380, 7810] - Now you start to add some cordless options, and get LCD indicators to let you know about battery life. Better models add things like a pop-up trimmer and floating heads.

8200 Series [8240, 8250, 8251] - Another line of dry shavers. The 8200 has a little "better" shaving head technology, and a different form factor thath is a little more comfortable. It also adds a precision trimmer. I've compared the 7000 and 8200 models and didn't notice enough of a difference in the quality of the shave to recommend the 8200 over the 7000 (unless you need the trimmer).

SensoTouch and SensoTouch 3D [1150, 1160, 1180, 3D - 1250, 1260, 1280, 1290] - Their most advanced/expensive razor models. The razor head pivots and flexes on a ball to get around a lot of contours on your face. The SensoTouch can move in two different ways while the SensoTouch 3D can move in three. The SensoTouch 3D is the best electric razor I've ever used (but also the most expensive) and I highly recommend it if you don't mind the cost.

Nivea for Men [HS420, 8040, 8060] - You need to use this with the Nivea for Men hydrating cream, which is released as you shave through the shaving heads. I like Nivea for Men hydrating cream, but it's a hassle to use with the razor. I don't recommend anyone buy this.

-------------- AT 830 REVIEW --------------

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - Now that you can see what Philips Norelco currently has available, I should say that the 6000, 7000, and 8200 lines are being discontinued in favor of these new models and their SensoTouch. The AT830 is in their PowerTouch Series (which looks like it is being marketed to replace the 8200 line). It is an AquaTouch shaver, meaning that it is entirely waterproof, and can be used in the shower with gel/foam, or just by itself as a dry razor. I don't like dry shaving, so I was excited to try this out and see how effective it is. Normally, shaving dry with an electric razor tears my face up so I prefer to use a manual razor. The first thing I noticed about it is the form factor. It is very light weight when compared to previous razors I have used. The contoured handle felt good in my grip, but the design mostly mimics previous models and there is nothing really new here. It doesn't feel "cheap"but it doesn't feel like a top of the line shaver either.

SHAVING EXPERIENCE AND SHAVING TIPS - I first did a dry shave with it on half of my face. Like all of their shavers, it contains "Lift and Cut" technology, which just means that it lifts the hair follicles and then cuts them, so it cuts lower on the hair and gives you a closer shave. I could feel it pulling the hairs to cut them, however it wasn't an unpleasant experience, just a slight tugging. Next I tried out a wet shave, which surprisingly worked fairly well. The one area I had a problem with is under my chin. The blades on the AT830 do flex a good bit for getting around your face, but I still had a bit of trouble with this area. I would suggest using shaving gel or tea tree oil rather than foam. I kept worrying that the shaver was going to short out in the middle of my showers but it did fine every time. I did not have any problems with breaking out or getting a rash from using it. I do recommend using it with gel, as I found I get a smoother shave doing that as opposed to dry. The pop-up trimmer wasn't very useful to me and worked okay, but it is fairly basic and not as nice as some of Norelco's precision trimmers. Overall, it gave me a fairly close shave, but not nearly as good as I've gotten with the SensoTouch 3D, or with a manual blade. I did have some razor burn after my first shave, but this is normal when using an electric shaver for the first time in awhile, and for me, goes away after about a week (Norelco says it can take 21 days for your skin to adjust). Whenever you shave with a manual razor, you are actually removing a thin layer of skin. Electric shavers go underneath the skin line but don't actually remove any skin, so this adjustment period is used to allow your body to get rid of the scar tissue that the body creates from using a blade (your body doesn't create scar tissue when using an electric shaver). Do not switch back and forth between an electric shaver and a manual shaver.

BATTERY LIFE - It takes one hour to fully charge the shaver, which Philips Norelco says will provide you with 50 minutes of shaving time. I ran four battery drain tests, where I fully charged the shaver and then ran it down completely. The average battery life was 80 minutes. Actual battery life will be shorter when the shaver is having to work to cut hair as opposed to the way I tested it, but based on my tests, their claim that you will get 50 minutes of shave time seems accurate to me. If the battery is dead, you can also do a quick charge, by charging it for three minutes, which will give you enough power for a five minute shave. Instead of using the traditional nickel-cadmium battery, this shaver contains a lithium-ion battery. Not only is this type of battery much better for the environment, but it doesn't experience a "memory effect," which is what happens when you constantly charge a nickel-cadmium battery without fully discharging it first. I would have liked it if they had included a charging station for the shaver.

CLEANING - A lot of people will probably find cleaning and taking care of the blades to be a hassle and not spend a lot of time on it, but I am a big believer in properly cleaning the shaver and maintaining the blades, which will not only extend the life of the blades, but give you a better shave. Even if you get all of the hair out, there is microscopic residue and debris on the blades that you can't see. Cleaning this razor is very easy. The top pops open and you can just run the underside of the blades in the water or under the shower. It takes me about 10 seconds to fully clean it and it rinses and dries very quickly. You do need to make sure you clean it after every use, because any hair or residue left under the blades can prevent you from getting a smooth shave the next time. This is especially important if you're using the shaver with gel/lotion. Dried gels will hold onto tiny hair residue and wear down the blades and give you a poor shave. You should also clean and lubricate your blades every couple weeks with a mineral oil solution or something like NORELCO RAZOR LUBRICANT. The shaver does come with a tiny brush and every couple of months you should pop out the blades from the head and clean the grills and blades individually. If you want to make your own cleaning solution, mix one part white vinegar with 10 parts water, and soak the blades in it for thirty minutes. Then rinse the blades to get rid of the vinegar. Replace the heads with Philips Norelco HQ8 Spectra Tripleheader Replacement Heads every 12 months.

I've gone back and forth between electric and dry shavers over the last few years and always seem to come back to a manual razor, but I really think the AquaTouch technology makes a difference in the AT830 and I will probably use this shaver for awhile as I get a fairly close shave with it. I think the closeness of the shave you get will depend a lot on your face. It is not as nice as the SensoTouch 3D, but it is a decent mid-range shaving option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Razor!/Almost Close As A Blade!, February 15, 2012
***UPDATE***UPDATE*** I have been shaving with this razor now for about 2 weeks and it delivers a really close shave even with my heavy dark beard, but here's a surprise: If you have a Jet Clean for the 8260cc the Power Touch AT830 will work in that Jet Clean. I have used mine in it a couple of times and it didn't harm my razor at all! I called Philips Norelco and the Lady who took my call asked one of her product specialist and he said do not use this razor in that Jet Clean. Well, I called back and the Guy that I talked to this time said it was perfectly ok. It seems that the first rep that I talked to just wanted me to buy a Jet Clean for this model. The Power Touch models with Jet Clean arn't going to be out til around Father's Day, so if you like useing Jet Clean, you can use your Power Touch AT830 in the Jet Clean for 8260cc. I am a collector of Philips Norelco Electric Razors. I have several models including the Spectra 8894XL James Bond Razor which in my opinion is best Norelco has ever made! The Senso Touch 3D left a rash on my neck and a burning sensation on my face. In my opinion this razor shaves better than the Senso Touch 3D. It delivers a close comfortable shave without the razor burn. I got this model because of the aquatec feature meaning you can use it either wet or dry. Pros: easy grip, washable, fast charge, and comfortable shave / Cons: No travel pouch, and No charging stand. I like to use a little talc or William's Lectric Shave which helps the razor deliver a close shave. I have a heavy dark beard and this razor shaves almost as close as a blade! The only reason that I did not rate this razor 5 stars was because it does not come with a travel pouch or charging stand. I use one of my old travel pouches which the razor fits in perfectly and a lid from one of cans of shaving gels which the razor is able to stand upright in. This is a good razor. It is one of the better Norelcoes that I have owned and I enjoy shaving with this razor. Get tis razor and you wont be disappointed! Happy Shaving!, Michael, Baton Rouge, LA

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillips For the Win!!!! Nappy Hair Friendly, March 5, 2012
Blackfist (US Virgin Islands) - See all my reviews
I have a rough and nappy beard like most people of African descent. I absolutely cannot use a straight razor without bumping up.

So I splurged and got the Panasonic ES-LV81-K Arc 5 figured that paying three hundred bills that it had to work..but it was too bulky, loud, and still left me with irritation.

I returned my 300 dollar Panasonic and ordered this model because I wanted to try rotary and I liked how it fits into my hand.

Well after 3 weeks. My Lady out of nowhere remarked "Wow the irritation on your neck has completely cleared up"

This thing is quiet, easy to maneuver, and leaves no irritation on black skin. The main difference between this and the Panasonic that I mentioned earlier is that you don't need to do multiple passes.

I got mine from Target because Amazon was back ordered. You also can buy the Jet Clean base Direct from Phillips, mine is already on its way.

I Shave with Noxzema and Vinegar. Hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT RAZOR, July 6, 2012
I purchased the Norelco AT830 about a week ago. I haven't had to recharge it yet. I have used both Braun and Noreclo products since I started shaving as blades cut me and caused skin irritation. This shaver is excellent. I've only used it in dry mode and find it to be fast, comfortable and incredibly close. It's also easy to hold. Try it and you'll see it provides a great shave day in and day out and the cost over timePhilips Norelco AT830 PowerTouch Rechargeable Cordless Razor, Gray/Silver/Black is minimal. Also, I ordered from Amazon and got free shipping with shaver deleivered in two work days. Amazon had best price and I trust them!

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because I was sick and tired!, June 24, 2013
When I purchased this Philips Norelco 830/ 41 Aquatic Power Touch Electric Razor I was not happy to do so; but I was sick and tired of how expensive it was to buy replacement blades for my manual razor. For $25.00 I could get 5 razor blades and that was if they were on sale. I figured that if I spent what I would normally spend on blade in a year and bought an electric razor I would spend a lot less money. Now ten months after my purchase I have come to realize that it was money well spent.

When I ordered my electric razor and tried it for the first time I was not happy with it at all! I thought that I was careful with my decision making process and read several reviews before deciding on which electric razor to purchase. I was just a stone's throw away from sending it back before I had a moment of clarity. I had not owned an electric razor in over 20 years and in that time the technology had changed and I should take some time to learn to use my new electric razor before I passed judgment so I kept it.

During that time I kept using it and with experience I kept getting better shaves. One of the things that I enjoy about this razor is that you can use it dry or use it wet (with shaving cream). In the end I figured out that I prefer a dry shave. Up until a month or so ago I did not realize how much I had come to like my Philips Norelco 830/ 41 Aquatic Power Touch Electric Razor until I had occasion to be without it. I had taken my family out of town for a vacation and I did not bring my electric razor because it didn't come with a carrying case and I was trying to travel light.

When I used my manual razor I absolutely hated it!!! Even with the shaving cream I felt like I was scraping a chunk of metal across my face and it was very uncomfortable. There was a lot of tug & pull and when I finished the shave I could not believe how much I used to pay for blades for this thing!!! When I got into the shower afterword and the hot water hit my face it actually burned where I had shaved. I was not going to do this again so for the rest of the week I did not shave and I when I got home I got rid of that old manual razor.

This is a good razor. I have enjoyed using it. I enjoy the quality of shave that I get and with the money that I have NOT spent on blades it has already paid for itself! This razor is worth the money!

The above portion was written in June of 2013 I had purchased this razor around October of 2012. I am writing this final portion of my review on December 31, 2013. It has been over a year my Philips Norelco 830/41 Electric Razor is still performing well. I use an electric pre-shave now that that stands my beard up and allows me to get an even better shave. I used to shave six days a week now I only need to shave 5 days a week. I had to replace the blades in November of this year so the original set of blades have lasted well over a year and the replacements were about $25.00. I have absolutely no complaints with this razor and would highly recommended it. I have no desire to go back to my manual razor. I am still of the opinion that this is well worth the money if you do get it please take some time to get used to using it. It makes all the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, January 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Personally, I prefer regular razors over electric razors, but this one is pretty decent.

Anyway, this one shaves well, is shaped well to the hand, and runs for about 45 minutes until you have to charge it again. Charging takes only about an hour, which I don't think is too bad. There is a blinking light that tells you when the thing needs charged. It seems to be constructed well also.

There isn't a stand for the thing, as other people have mentioned, but I don't care, since I just toss it in a drawer when I am done anyway. There really isn't anything fancy about this razor. You get a razor that works well and a charger. To me, that is perfect. I don't want to pay for extra stuff I don't really need or won't use. I don't need a charge meter, a stand, a charger with multiple setting, or backup singers. I just want a razor at a reasonable cost that works well.

If you register the razor at the Philips website, you get a 2-1/2 year warranty, which I think is excellent.

I still like regular razors over electric razors, but this one works well, and it has an excellent warranty; so overall, I think it is a good deal and worth the money it costs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Norelco Cordless Electric Razor Model AT830, January 3, 2013
Martin S. Furman (Baltimore, Md USA) - See all my reviews
It seem to be a good quality razor. It works fine and holds a charge reasonably long. I have no problem there. But, I am disappointed with it for another reason which is not listed anyplace until after you buy it. Every cordless razor I have ever had, when the charge runs out, I could just attach the cord and finish my shave with the cord attached, and then charge it up. Well, not with andy model that starts with "AT". It ONLY works as a cordless model. When the charge runs out you have to charge it with the cord, and then use it without the cord. Model that start with "AT" can be used it the shower, the tub, etc. For this reason they don;'t want you to be able to use it with the cord attached for obvious reasons. I didn't know this before I bought it. If you want a cordless model that can also be used with the cord attached, get a model that starts with "PT".

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not work when plugged in, June 11, 2012
Warning! This razor does not work when plugged in to an outlet. So if the battery is low it may stop working while you are still shaving and you will have to wait for it to recharge. If this is an issue for you I highly recommend purchasing the PT730 which does work corded and cordless so when the battery eventually becomes weak or unreliable you will still be able to shave with the PT730 for as long as you need to whereas the AT830 will probably need replacement. I hope this helped with your decision.

Rate and Discover Movies