5.0 out of 5 stars Godsend for parent of autistic son
My 4 year old is autistic and having his hair cut is a traumatic event. These are quiet, easy to use and work well. Made hair cutting time much easier for everyone!!!
Published on May 9, 2010 by Nicole Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but needs more adjustability
Published on August 27, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Godsend for parent of autistic son, May 9, 2010
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)

5.0 out of 5 stars For a child with Autism.....This thing is great!, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
I gave my son a haircut today and it was stress free. He has autism and the barber shop clippers upset him. These low noise clippers didn't bother him. My only issue was that the guides didn't cut his hair low enough. However, I was able to get the cut perfected without guide. This works great on Kinky/Curly hair.

I'm really pleased!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but needs more adjustability, August 27, 2009
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My four-year-old son is a typical whirling dervish when I try to cut his hair (but he's a little angel when I take him to a professional barber--go figure). In the past, when I've done the cutting, I've used the adult clippers that I use on my own head. So, I thought perhaps he'd be a little more accommodating if I were use something like the Philips model. Mmmn, not so much.

Just to make clear what I'm comparing the Philips model to: I use a Forfex clippers model on my own head; it cost about $120 or so, is rechargeable/cordless, and comes with lots of attachments. Before I owned that, I had a cheapo Wahl model, maybe $25; it had a cord, got very hot, and made loud zapping noises when I turned it on. My parents had one just like it when I was a kid, and I remembered being scared by that zapping.

The Philips model *is* quiet--but no quieter than the Forfex model. I'll go out on a limb and say that most rechargeable clippers are going to be of similar quietness.

It is very nice that you only have to worry about two adjustment add-ons (the slide-on adapters that let you set the length of hair cut, from 1 inch to 1-3/4 inch with one adapter, and from 1/8th inch to 7/8ths inch with the other adapter). But the adapters seem pretty flimsy to me.

Furthermore, the product description talks about "Rounded tips [that] protect skin and ensure a comfortable cutting experience," and that's true, but only if you keep the adapters on. On the smaller adapter you can get down to 1/8th inch, and that sounds pretty close, but it didn't get close enough around the ears. So, I removed the adapter to trim around the ears, and of course, when Junior did his Linda Blair imitation, I nicked him.

With the Forfex model I use, you can adjust the cutting depth without an adapter from 0.8mm to 2.8mm. On the Philips, without the adapter, I'd estimate that the minimum cut is about 0.8mm too--but you can't adjust it any higher. The minimum cutting depth with the smaller adapter is 1/8th inch, which converts to about 3.0mm. So, you can either cut at 3.0mm and avoid nicks, or cut at 0.8mm and risk it--and nothing in between.

I do like that it's a pretty nice kit, with the shawl (er, "stylist's cape"), storage pouch, etc.

I realize that's it's not a fair comparison between a $40 product at a $120 product, but I did find other cordless/rechargeable products on Amazon in the same general price range--even one made by Philips: Philips Norelco QC5055 Power Hair Clipper. Perhaps they're not *quite* as kid-friendly, but I don't think the difference is huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my son with sensory concerns, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
My 8 year old autistic son struggled with haircuts. He would cry and avoid them at all costs. It was an ordeal no one wanted to go through. I bought this product and held a mirror in front of him as we cut his hair, unbelievable! no crying at all! no fussing moving or anything. I wish I had discovered this product and had the idea of the mirror 5 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
These clippers are amazing! My son has autism and would not sit still at the salon for a haircut. I tried everything from Great Clips and Supercuts to child friendly salons. Nothing worked. Getting his hair cut became a really traumatic event for him. I ended up having to restrain him completely in order to get his hair cut.

I got these hoping that he would do better getting a haircut at home. I read the reviews of other moms and dads with autistic kids and thought I'd give it a try. I was amazed! He sat through the entire haircut and even let me trim his sideburns and the nape of his neck without the guard. I have cut his hair like this for over a year now. He still sits through it very well. I LOVE these clippers. I will never use anything else on his head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
My four year-old son has autism, and he normally screams and cries through a hair cut. I came across these and read good reviews so I decided to try and see how it works. Simply amazing! He didn't cry once (for the first time in 3 years), in fact he was smiling at times! I highly recommend these clippers for children who are sensitive to loud noisy clippers!!

4.0 out of 5 stars top of the Line, October 6, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
my husband is a dog groomer, so he is REALLY a critic on clippers as well as pretty expert.
I cut hair and had rarely used clippers
THESE ARE NICE
1. Small for small hands like mine
2. safety features to keep from clipping neck, face
3.very quiet , less scary for young kids
4.smooth and easy to work, simple instructions
5.for novices and pros alike
6.lightweight which gives better control
7.you can use on older guys and shave the backs
of their necks and sideburns.
8.very versatile
9.cordless feature is wonderful, you can cut hair while child is in
babys' high chair or booster seat or standing up .
with fidgety kids this is a mUST ;0)

Simple and inexpensive, work great!
Hope we helped

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clipper for autistic child!, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
My son is four and highly sensitive to sounds. We have never been able to give him the styles he wants because he is so afraid of the clippers. With the Philips the motor is soft enough that when we let him compare it to his father's regular clipper he has no problems. Really its been wonderful! So glad we found this product. My husband actually cuts my son's hair. He didn't find the dvd all that helpful. Certainly don't exspect to learn to cut hair with it. The clipper itself however, is excellent all around. It does everything its suppose to and the quiet motor is best of all. Highly reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! Saved my sanity., July 2, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper (Health and Beauty)
My son is 19 months old. He has had 1 haircut at the salon at 1 year and he did ok...then we took him another time, which ended in a slight trim because he was freaking out. The third time, he screamed bloody murder for 20 minutes before I gave up and we left without a hair cut. I trimmed his hair in his sleep because he wouldn't let me near him with even a tiny pair of grooming scissors with the blunt tips! At my wit's end (and my son looking very similar to Moe from the Three Stooges), I sought out kid's hair clippers. These Norelco Kids Clippers had great reviews, so I figured it was worth a shot. I think the heaven's opened and the sun beamed into my living room when my son slightly fussed at the clippers, then completely let me do his entire hair with very minimal whining. I was very prepared to have to get him in a headlock and shear him like a sheep, however, the experience was...dare I say...pleasant! Now, he looks better than my wildest dreams, has an amazing hair cut and was an absolute angel the next day when I just finished up trimming around his neck with them. If you have a boy who is difficult when it comes to hair cuts, BUY THIS PRODUCT. Outstanding, I am so happy I bought these!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, simple and it gets the job done, July 29, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was thrilled to try out the Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clippers. My son is now 17, but for the last 13 years I have paid a barber on average $15 every other month to cut his hair. (Yikes - Do the math!) And it's not like it is a difficult cut. He uses a #4 guide all over and then the sides and back with a #2 guide. It takes them about 5 minutes to finish it. I did try for many years to get him to sit for me and let me do it, but between the loud sound of the clippers and just not being comfortable with "Mom" doing his hair I gave up.

After I had received the clippers, charged it up and watched the DVD, my son says to me "Hey, can we cut my hair?" So I did, actually we both did. We went out onto our deck (because it's cordless!) and before I could get him in a chair he had the clippers set to the length he wanted, turned on and he was running it through his hair!! Instead of freaking out, I just watched as he proceeded to give himself a mohawk. Eventually he asked for my help with the back, both in cutting and cleaning up his neckline. And in the end (about 20 minutes from start to finish) my son had his hair cut and I had saved myself a few bucks.

Pros
~ Cordless: I really think this is great! It allows for easy movement around the head without getting tangled up and doesn't limit you on where you can be.
~ Quiet: Much quieter than all the other clippers we've tried. This is nice for small kids.
~ Nice Power: I allowed it to charge fully before our first use and didn't notice a drop in power the entire time we were using it.
~ Accessories: DVD had great tips and suggestions, scissors & comb for evening things up, 2 adjustable guides with 15 settings, small blade brush for cleaning, soft velcro storage pouch and a stylist cape like you find in a salon.

Cons
~ Adjustable Guides: Although I love these because they allow many different size settings in just 2 guides, we did have trouble switching from one to the other and also sliding the guide up and down to adjust. In a way this is probably good as you really don't want the guide to accidentally change half way through a cut, but we were afraid of breaking them as hard as we had to be on them. Maybe it's just a flaw on our set?

Overall this is a very nice set that I would have loved to have had when my son was younger, but even now at his age it suits us fine. I look forward to saving money by no longer having to visit the barber and if your curious....Yes he still has the mohawk.

Philips Norelco CC5060 Kids Clipper