Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Size: 1-pkChange

on November 30, 2007
This product contains three replacement heads for the Norelco 9160XL electric razor. After 1 1/2 years of continuous daily usage the original cutting heads were no longer giving a good shave. I decided to replace the original blades with this set.

The good:

1.)Easy to following instruction for replacement on the package, and the actual replacement process was incredibly simple and easy to do.

2.)The new blades functioned perfectly; because the decline in performance of the original blades was so gradual, it was difficult to believe how much of an improvement these replacement blades provided.

The not so good:

Only one complaint; the packaging. The replacement blade were embodied in a package that made it extremely difficult to actually get at the blades. There were a series of 6 grommet eyelets surrounding the entire package making it very secure. I literally had to force scissors between the layers of cardboard to get around the grommets to eventually get to the blades inside. In a word...frustrating. Plus, a slight slip and a bad cut may have occurred (I think everyone has experienced trying to open one of these newer hard-plastic wrapped items and knows just how difficult it can really be to get at the product inside).

An excellent set of replacement blades. (I just hope they'll last longer than the 3 months it took for the original blades to start to lose their sharpness). Time will tell; but up to now, so far so good.
However, getting the blades out of this package could be considered a potential hazard.
5 Stars for the product itself, with 1 or 2 Stars off for the needless obstructive packaging.

Addendum Feb 24/08:
Interesting to note that they've changed the packaging on this product (since my original review) making it appear that it's less hazardous to access. However, as I haven't purchase this specific product package, I can't comment on the ease of access (or safety) of the new packaging.

1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2008
Amazing what a difference new shaving heads make. I hadn't noticed the gradual degradation in ease of shaving, and thought the problem was with the humidity. Got the new blades and my shaving time was cut by two thirds. Applied the cost savings over getting it in a store to overnight shipping.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2010
Norelco says to replace heads once a year. After owning several Norelco razors, including this one, my experience has shown that they are really good for about 2 years before you'll note a degradation in the quality of the shave.

The instructions they provide consist of a couple of pictures on the package. However, these are very easy to replace. Just remember to orient the blade correctly when you drop them in. There are two little tabs on each blade that have to be oriented right. If the blade doesn't seem to sit correctly, turn them until they drop down.

When you get a new Norelco razor or replace the blades on your current one you may not get the best shave for a week or two. It takes a while for the blades to "break-in. " As such, don't be disappointed if the first few shave with new blades do not seem as close and smooth as you expected. Give them a couple of weeks, they will improve.
on May 27, 2009
Philips Norelco HQ9 SpeedXL Replacement Heads
I've been using Norelco rotary electric shavers all my life and this is the first time I've ever purchased replacement heads. What a surprise to find out it's just like getting a brand new shaver! My old Norelco was not performing as well as it used to and I wondered if it was time to upgrade to something "better" - whatever that might be. I decided just to save some bucks and try replacing the heads (just like they advise). Suddenly, all the little complaints I had about the performance of my old Norelco disappeared. I had a new shaver with the top notch performance I used to get. Try replacing the heads before you fork out big bucks for all the fancy, non-esssential "features" they now build into high priced electric shavers.
on July 10, 2011
I should have change the shaver head a lot sooner, it made the world of a difference, in the time and quality of the shave. So I guess I can say that sometimes being frugal can come back to bite you, and this was one of those times. Let me explain, I wanted to be sure that I was not wasting money replacing the head of my shaver to soon. The only problem with this is that as the shaver head gradually wears down, it is hard to notice that it is taking longer and more passes to get a good shave.
I would give this shaver head a 5 star rating in quality, and I would definitely buy it again. I know that the cost of the head leaves one wondering if they should just bite the bullet and buy a new one for a little more than twice the cost, but I am glad that I only purchased the head. I have had this brand of shaver before and got many of years use from it, so I am happy that I made the correct choice and only purchased the head :)

I hope this review has been of a help to you. :)
on October 30, 2005
Somehow Norelco actually made the HQ9 SpeedXL heads worse than the old lift-and-Cut heads. To make it look like the heads will produce a faster shave, they reduced the area of the outer ring to make room for two additional cutter rings inside the outer ring.

The problem? The inner rings have a slower surface speed than the old, larger area, outer ring. So you actually have a smaller high speed cutter area while the inner rings end up pulling your beard hairs when you try to shave as fast as your old Lift-and-Cut shaver.

Why can't you buy the old lift-and-cut heads to fit you new Smart-Touch shaver? Like all Norelco rotary rasors, each model uses a slightly different drive pin to make you buy the newer, more expensive, heads. Philips knows how to make their old products obselete so you will buy the new "better" stuff.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2008
I purchased a Norelco 9160XL Smart Touch razor about a year or so ago. Bought these replacement heads as the original ones were worn out. Now the razor is working very well and I am back to enjoying my morning shave.

Changing the heads took less than 5 minutes. One thing I would recommend is that you routinely take the heads out (every 45 days or so) and give it a good wash.
on November 25, 2010
This is my second pair of replacement blades on my 9160XL.One thing I have learned, all shavers shave great when they are new.I have tried Braun ,Remington, none compete with Norelco but that isn't saying much ,it's just Norelco is better than the other two bad shavers .First let me say I have been shaving with Norelco for 60 years and started in the late 1940's when they were called Philishave and had one head ,however they were the only kid on the block so we marvelled at this shaver although it took forever to shave .Then came the 2 headed shaver ,an improvement and then the 3 headed one .Fifteen years or so you could take your shaver for a cleaning and a motor tune up in a Norelco store after a year but you never changed the blades because after the tune up the shaver seemed to shave great.Not today if you get 6 months from your heads your'e lucky .It seems that the shaver does not shave well under your chin and I keep going over and over on my neck.Also over your lip ,I don't see a close shave there either ,however it shaves my cheeks fine.So I have found a solution ,I received a Braun 2 years ago which I stopped using after a month.I shave with the Braun first then clean up whats left with my Norelco.I also use Williams preshave which I bought a ton of years ago ,don't know if they are still around.That and the Braun & Norelco seems to give me as good a shave as I can get.My big complaint is the blades last just a few months and at around $30 is priced about a 1/3 the cost of a new shaver just low enough for me not to buy a new one.Norelco has gotten to be like the printers you buy for $60-$80 dollars but you wind up spending hundreds for ink .With Norelco its blades.great merchandizing gimmick.I wish there was a 3rd party for blades.

A few days later I decided to take the heads apart ,I had been rinsing after each shave under faucet.Taking the head apart cleaning with the brush ,a I worked on it for 35 mins using spray can of cleaner & blowing I took out so much gunk.Being a dual cutter head it was extremely difficult to clean around the cutters.I worked on it for over 35 mins reassembling was very tricky lot of trouble there.When finished I went in bathroom and started to shave a 2 day stubble .The shaver shaved like new ,had not had a shave like this for months.The blades were now sharp but what a chore ,I had thought running water through the head would keep it clean ,but no not that easy.If you want a good shave you need to clean often.I think I will go back to the single cutter head should be a lot easier.
on October 7, 2014
my sister brought this shaver head replacement part for me, and now my shaver is functional, just like brand new.
on June 15, 2014
I upgraded to an HQ9 shaver a while ago from a lower end HQ8. I was never happy with the shave of the HQ9. It was supposed to be an upgrade over my cheaper HQ8 shaver with the HQ9 having a slightly faster, more powerful motor. The HQ9 heads are supposed to provide a faster shave over the HQ8 because of the larger cutting surface area. I did not find that be the case at all and it was also less comfortable.

I finally discovered that the older, more traditional HQ8 heads actually fit in the HQ9 shaver. Upon making this change, I finally have my upgraded shaver. The combination of the more powerful motor with the traditional type head is the best for my skin. It's comfortable and shaves much faster. It's faster than my old HQ8 shaver and faster than the HQ9 shaver with the original HQ9 heads. To top it off, the HQ8 heads are cheaper too.

I see two reasons for my experience. One is pointed out by a fellow reviewer. The use of additional rows reduces the surface area of the outermost row, which is the row that has the highest speed. Therefore, the design of the HQ9 head actually reduces the surface area of the highest speed cutting area. Second, the additional row of blades creates a larger area of drag for the motor. The HQ9 shaver actually has to work harder to turn the HQ9 heads.

In short, try the HQ8 heads in your HQ9 razor the next time you need to replace them. I think you'll find it becomes a better shaver.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse