4.0 out of 5 stars Very close shave, but time consuming
Published on October 1, 2009 by Comdet

3.0 out of 5 stars Gives a close shave but not close enough
Published on October 15, 2009 by A. John

4.0 out of 5 stars Very close shave, but time consuming, October 1, 2009
This review is from: Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men Razor (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's several reasons for wanting to use an electric shaver versus a blade. For me, it's been speed and comfort - an electric is faster, easier and less messy than using a blade and shaving cream. But, a dry shave with an electric is not as ultra close as a blade shave. Close enough for me, but if you're striving for the ultimate in closeness, you typically need to use a blade.

This Norelco is one of the few electrics that will match the closeness of a blade but it comes at a price - time and effort.

The shaver has a dispensing system where you push a button and it dispenses a small amount of Nivea cream. The Nivea is great stuff - very soothing, moisturizes, and has a nice, light scent. You wet your face first, then shave and push the dispensing button anytime you want some Nivea. The problem is, you need to dispense quite a bit of the stuff to get a comfortable shave, which gets pretty costly.

To keep the cost down and maintain high comfort levels, I use a gel-type shave cream first. Do one pass with the shaver, dunking it in water a couple of times to clear off the shave cream that builds up, then do a final pass using the Nivea. That keeps the Nivea use down to a small amount, but you still get the benefits of using the cream.

The resulting shave is as close, if not closer, than any blade shave I've ever had. It's essential that you use a light touch when using the Norelco - press too hard, and you'll get irritation, especially in the neck area. Also, you need to clean the head when you're done or the dispensing tubes will get clogged with the Nivea. Not hard to do - just run it under hot water while it the razor is on.

The shaver is water proof, and can be used in the shower. It's very similar to the previous model (8040 and related models), but with some improvements in ergonomics and overall design. The concept is the same, however, so if you can get older model at a discount, go for that instead of the newer model. The shave is the same.

Don't even think of shaving dry with this razor - you'll tear up your face.

Build quality is decent. A lot more plasticy than a premium razor, but in line with the price charged.

If you're looking to get the ultimate in closeness from an electric, you'll be happy with this. If, however, you're looking for speed and convenience, a dry shaver such as the Braun Series 5 or 7 should be on the short list. If you're unsure if you want to shave dry or wet (or want to do both), the Panasonic Arc IV is an outstanding shaver that can be used in both modes.

4.0 out of 5 stars By far the most comfortable shaver electric or razor I have ever used, but replacement cartridges are expensive., October 22, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The most outstanding feature of this shaver is its comfort...but that comfort comes at a price. The shaver uses an innovative Nivea lotion dispenser that you pump into the body of the shaver. As you are shaving you press a button to dispense it. This works great for me. Produces a smooth, comfortable shave, I never have even the slightest bit of skin irritation.

As stated in other reviews, the manual does ask you to try the shaver for three weeks. I have and am very happy with how comfortable it is. But it still doesn't shave as close as a razor blade. I find the heads too big on my face to be effective in between my nose and lips so I still use a razor for that. Also I do find myself having to go over spots multiple times to get a trim to my satisfaction. On the other hand I have had electric shavers that cost more and have not performed as well.

You can check the cost of replacement lotion on Amazon and draw your own conclusions. The lotion that came with it is running low after three weeks of use. I can use shaving lotion or gel a lot longer before they run out and they cost less. But the comfort really is outstanding. Sometimes my razor still leaves my face red, this one never has. My face feels GOOD after using this, and that is certainly worth something. Comfort is a 5+ but closeness of shave and cost of replacement lotion brings the overall to a 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nivea gel NOT needed, September 9, 2010
Guys, please don't waste your money on the marketed Nivea shaving gel. I have used an in-shower Norelco for over 10 years (2 previous models now extinct). I use to think you had to use this special gel, until the cost was killing me. I tried my old shaving gel and it worked even better than the preferred Nivea. Don't use shaving "foam" though. It is too thick and will clog the razor heads or just fall off your face and provide no protection.

I mentioned this to the customer service folks at Norelco 2 years ago. I realize this is a marketing partnership and money is at stake here, but how many buyers have opted not to buy this product because of the cost-many if you read these reviews. The rep was curteous but I could tell this information would never make it to the public. Please, don't fall for the Nivea only pitch. You can have a great wet shave with gel and save a lot of money over the years. Save your money to pay your taxes. Jim-Branson, MO

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver - as long are you are willing to spend some time with it, October 13, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Remember the first time when you started shaving - maybe you were 14, 15 or 16 ? It was a struggle isnt it - specifically around the neck area and then you learnt and became a pro.

Learning to use a Electric shaver is something like that - you need to go through a learning curve. I am going to first talk about electric shavers and then about this particular model

Let us get to the basics : Electric shavers basically come in 2 types - Rotary (philips norelco) & foil (braun & panasonic)

Rotaries are good for cutting longer hairs let us say you skip to shave over a holiday then start shaving on Monday morning. Foil shavers are faster and easier to adapt to, but there are a few downsides - foils are difficult to clean since the hair gets trapped in the inner chamber and foil shavers give you more burn compared to rotary blades.

I personally like Rotary shavers, and also more first time users are likely to stick to rotary blades compared to foils.

Norelco HS8420/20:
- Moisturizer is really nice thing to have - without a good moisturizer, you might get razor burns
- of the 3 heads, 2 of them dispenses out the moisturizer whenever you press a button
- Gives a close smooth shave - give your self about 3-4 weeks to get used to it
- Easy and comfortable to hold and operate
- Dual voltage charge to take it wherever you want to

After using it for a couple of weeks - I learnt something - which philips may not really recommend :
Apply any of of the shaving gels and work up a lather (I use Nivea) and then dispense only small quantities of the moisturizer on your skin. This, I found to be the best way to save a few $s (by not buying less of the nivea refill) and also a very smooth and close shave.

Try this and let me know how it goes :)

Overall - a good value for your money, smooth close shave as long as you are willing to spend some time in learning how to use an electric shaver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time...., October 15, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using this for over three weeks. The manual states it takes three weeks for your skin to acclimate to the shaver. At first I was disappointed. It would not shave close like a razor. Every time I used it kept getting better and better. After three weeks the shave is pretty close but not as close as a razor. Sometimes I would take to long between shaves and it would become harder to get a clean shave. It is best when used every other day or however quick your stubble grows. The only problem I really have with this is not getting the closeness of a razor but it is still great. The other is that at time I need to use the razor to get stubble by my adams apple or neck area. The shaver doesn't pick it up even by doing it slow or by applying more shave. The last thing is the shave gel can get expensive. I purchased a bottle for $7 and it lasted the three weeks. Overall it is a great shaver. You have to stick with it for a few weeks to see if it will work for you. Give it time and you just might not use razors any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Norelco and Nivea Combine for a Comfortable Shave, November 19, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Shaving is part of the daily routine for most men and there are numerous means to eliminate the unwanted hair, from ordinary hand razors to fancy electronic devices. Many people stick with hand razors because an open blade is considered the best way to achieve a close shave. But there are some good electric razors out there and the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is one of them. This waterproof razor dispenses Nivea skin conditioner as you shave, for a more comfortable shave than that provided by most other electric razors.

I wasn't too sure about this razor when I first heard about it, but I was quickly won over once I tried it out and realized its ability to provide a comfortable shave. Pressing one of the buttons on the front of the razor releases the moisturizing conditioner directly onto your skin and this provides a nice amount of moisturizing before shaving. This conditioner protects the skin from irritation and it's very good for its ability to add comfort to the shaving process. Pressing the release button for just a few seconds is usually all it takes to release just the right amount of conditioner to protect the skin.

As for the cutting ability of the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor, it is quite good and performs just as well, if not better than, most electric razors. However, there is a catch. The manual that comes with this razor advises that you need to allow your skin time to acclimate to this razor, and that this will typically take about three weeks. Based on my experience, this claim is accurate. When I first used this razor, I wasn't that impressed. My skin was not shaved as closely as I like and I had to use a hand razor for touch- ups. But the more I used the razor, the closer the shave became. The comfort was good from the start, but the closeness didn't come until later.

This razor is cordless and it charges by placing it in a small base. You need to be careful with this because, if the razor isn't placed just right, it won't charge. The razor doesn't snap or lock into place- it just sits in the charging base. Unless the metal elements are touching just right, the charging will not commence. This is why you need to be careful and make sure that the blue light appears on the front of the razor, as proof that charging is taking place.

I still keep manual razors handy when I need the closest shave possible, but the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is a very good razor for both convenience and performance reasons. The addition of Nivea conditioner makes for a more comfortable shave and the blades shave at an acceptable level of closeness, provided you exercise patience and allow your skin time to adjust. Finding replacement bottles of Nivea conditioner can be a challenge and this razor doesn't work well on dry skin, but other than these handful of minor complaints, the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is a good shaving device that earns an easy recommendation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gives a close shave but not close enough, October 15, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my husband and I made sure he used it for at least 2 weeks before he decided to give an honest review. According to him it does give a close shave but still not as good as a manual would and would he be willing to pay the money for the refills, no way he says. He does like the dispenser but it's not worth it. He doesn't have extremely sensitive skin so there were no irritations. It's lightweight enough and a big plus is that it's waterproof so it can be used in the shower. Would have gotten 4 stars if it weren't for those expensive refills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Wet/Dry razor, December 9, 2009
Lamont (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I found myself interviewing for a new job and decided I should get a new razor to get a clean shave. I originally went looking for a Norelco 8060x as the faster charging and automatic Nivea lotion refill seemed like a nice touch. Well, all that practical stuff and the cool look of the stand attracted me. I needed the razor immediately so I went to shopping instead of buying on Amazon. To my surprise, the 8420 was the only one I found in several stores. Even in Norelco advertisements for Nivea razors, the 8420 is the model they show. So I got that one.

First of all, it does seem a bit plasticy and cheap in build. I think that keeps the price down, but visually it doesn't look impressive. Older Nivea models had a more sleek look and color design. I know it is minor but the older models flat out looked better. Functionally, I really like the razor. You press a button on the front of the razor and it dispenses the nivea lotion. I do wish it was automatic because I never quite know how much I should be using. The instruction manual infers you should use as much as possible, but not sure how cost-effective that is.

Most importantly, the 8420 gives me a good shave. The instruction manual says it will take 3 weeks for your face and beard to adjust to the unit and in about 2 weeks I was getting really close shaves. More importantly I was getting good shaves without razor bumps afterwards. No bumps, no irritation, just a good clean shave. The only downside I see is the look of the device and the fact you have to guess at how much lotion you should use. The good really, really outweighs the bad with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice system. Wish it worked without the goo., November 22, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit that I only got this razor for those times I'm away from home at a friend's place. It's a great little electric. Does what it does well.

There is no way to do tight spots like under my nose and above my mustache. There is no way to easily work around things like beards. It is primarily for clean shaven folks. Fortunately, it does a great number on my head.

I wish it worked better without the goop.

It is a wet shaver, working best with a damp/wet head/face. It is not really designed to work on a dry face/head. It will work but not as well.

It is very easy to clean (and I'd recommend you clean it EVERY TIME you use it). Nice fit in the hand.

Great battery life. Rechargeable. Norelco quality (in other words still uses that spinning circle of blades). Virtually NO weird grabbing or irritation.

Recommended for guys with shaved heads and clean cut faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars norelco nivea for men is awesome!!!!!!!, June 29, 2010
First off let me tell you never use the nivea moisturizer, go to any store and buy you a tube of Neutragena skin clearing shave cream. Next jump in the shower apply the shaving cream after you wash your face and let the norelco do it's thing. I could not beleive how smooth the shave was and when i was done i applied thayer's witch hazel after shave and i didn't feel even the slightest stinging or burning it was that delicate on my face. Excellent job norelco excellent. For those that have course dark curley hair this is the thing for you give it a try I think you'll be happy with the results just use it everyday.

Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men Razor