5.0 out of 5 stars To Look Sharp Every Time You Shave
Published on July 31, 2012 by Mr. Robert C. Bonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to a better Norelco - here's why
Don't get me wrong - I like Norelco razors. But this model cuts too many corners. I recommend the Philips Norelco PT730 PowerTouch Rechargeable Cordless Razor, Black/Silver instead for a few dollars more. The most obvious difference is the PT730 has a pop-out trimmer, which is especially handy for longer hairs and sideburns.

However, there is also an...
Published on April 19, 2012 by TOPJOB7

3.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to a better Norelco - here's why, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco PT720 Powertouch Electric Razor (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

However, there is also an important difference in the combs (which is what Norelco calls the screens which touch your face) as well. The PT720 has "Comfort Cut" combs which have standard slots all around, whereas the PT730 has 8-series "DualPrecision" combs with little holes that allow for a closer shave. When you buy HQ8 replacement heads for any of these models, they come with the better 8-series combs.

Even after using this model for about a month, I noticed my shave wasn't as close as my 10-year-old Norelco 6885XL. The 6885XL has Quadra Action heads with the little holes, so I got the replacement HQ8 heads and sure enough, that was the difference. Now my PT720 shaves just as close as my old 6885XL. As an aside, the other shaver brand I like is Braun - I have an older battery-operated Braun travel shaver similar to the Braun Mobile Shave (Model M-60) that also shaves nice and close.

Why do the holes make a difference? I am not sure, but when the Quadra Action shavers came out, I read that since the holes are smaller, the comb can be thinner in that area. A Norelco rep also told me that the holes will hold the hairs straighter (think of pushing a stick into a pipe vs. a mail slot). Whatever the reason, it works.

Norelco recommends replacing the heads annually. About 2-3 years after I got my old 6885XL, I went into a razor repair shop and asked for replacement heads. Even though they sold them, the old repair guy told me not to replace them unless I had problems; he said they were self-sharpening and lasted many years for most people. Sure enough, 10 years later they still cut as well as my new HQ8 heads. Admittedly, I may have lighter facial hair than others, and spend only 90 seconds or so per full shave, but if they can go 10 years with almost daily use, the HQ8 (which appear very similar in design and quality) might do the same.

The charge time for the PT720 is 8 hours for 40+ minutes of use. This seems excessive to me because my old 6885XL charges in about 1 hour for a similar use time. I don't really mind though, because you can just plug it in and use it, and I usually charge it overnight anyway - it won't overcharge. While Norelco says the battery can't be replaced, on many Norleco models you can find third party replacement batteries online and solder them in. I did this not long ago with my 6885XL and it took about 20 minutes - you just need a screwdriver, soldering iron, solder and solder wick.

The razor has a quieter hum similar to higher end models. Keep it lubricated if it gets loud - use a shaver spray lube periodically. I don't care for the position of the power-on button, which is right where my thumb goes so the shaver will sporadically turn off while I'm shaving. Unfortunately, the PT730 has the button in the same place.

The PT720 and PT730 both come with a cleaning brush, protection cap, and plug-in charger, but no stand or case.

To conclude, while I love Norelco shavers, the PT720 requires replacement heads to do a great job, so I recommend upgrading at least to the PT730.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Look Sharp Every Time You Shave, July 31, 2012
Mr. Robert C. Bonds (McAllen,TX-Rio Grande Valley) - See all my reviews
Some times simple is better and that is the case with the Philips Norelco PT720. This is a basic, down to earth, electric razor that straight out of the box does what it is suppose to; deliver a good shave. So what if this electric razor does not have a side burn trimmer. In all of the 25+ years that I have been shaving with an electric, I probably can count the number of times I have used the trimmer on one hand. I doubt that most men reading this review use the side burn trimmer on their current razor!!

When you turn this razor on for the first time after charging overnight, one will notice that it has a powerful sounding motor that delivers performance. The razor glides fairly easily over the face and I found that it worked exceedingly well on the lower neck and jaw line which are problem areas for me.

I must confess that I did not purchase this great razor from Amazon. There is an available Internet coupon that can be used for $10 off on the purchase of any Philips Norelco, which I took advantage of. Since I was replacing a very expensive Norelco which performed poorly, I did not want to make a major investment in another electric that might be a "dud."

So in the words of the old Gillette Super Blue Blades jingle: to look sharp every time you shave, grab the PT720.

Update 2 Sep 12 - This razor continues to demonstrate why it is a great bargain. The initial charge lasted 25 days which was beyond my expectation.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing works, June 28, 2013
I am not a fan of electric razors and have never owned one that I thought worked well. I bought this one because it was cheap and I had to have something to use while recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I turned it on the first time and thought it was the most anemic sounding thing I have ever heard. However, it gives a great shave!! It is by far the best electric shaver I have ever owned. I should have spent the 10 bucks more for a pop up trimmer..

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless rip off, September 27, 2013
I owned a previous norelco triple head. Gave me a nice shave for a couple of years. This one is a waist of time shaving. Cant even tell I have shaved. Not a close shave at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst purchase ever, July 21, 2013
Ripper (Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I have previously owned a Norelco shaver so I thought this one would work as well as the others I had. Big mistake, the razor didn't even make a dent in my overnight growth. The shave was uneven and didn't even feel like I shaved. Would not recommend this to anyone. A waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars it was cutting me and my old norelco from 15 years ago cut closer ;(, May 21, 2013
As stated. had to return it. I like the design. But it was nicking all over my face(no blood but little fine lines/cuts all over). yet there was still stubble.

1.0 out of 5 stars lee, July 18, 2013
DO NOT BUY these products! The have changed the way you open the blade housing and clean them. I had one for YEARS and it was so so easy to open it and clean the blades. Now, it is SO SO frustrating to get the housing back together. I have tried a total clean twice now and both times I can't get it back together. Oh and google this you will see others has same issue.
DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars purchased item, September 13, 2012
The only problem I had with purchase was it came in a plastic container that was very had to open I had to go to my nearest hardware store for them to open it up for me
It works very nice
I also bought the pre and after shave lotions

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Excuse For A Shaver, January 14, 2013
I purchased this item just before Christmas. I knew it was not a top of the line shaver, but needed something cordless for quick shaves. The battery life is great, lasting many shaves. BUT, IT IS TERRIBLE AT SHAVING. I have to go back over my face many time for it to shave any beard, and even then, it still leaves stubble that every other razor I have used over the past 45 years has gotten. I contacted Norelco and chatted with one of their reps., Richard, who kept just telling me what was written on the box about flexible heads shaving close and were washable. Evidently didn't think I could read what was written on the box. He never did address the problem. Choose a different model or brand if you want a shaver that works and don't expect much from Noelco if you have a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for sparse, fine facial hair. Not coarse, thick ones., August 16, 2014
I think if you have fine hair (caucasian or asian) this would work great. I have coarse indian hair. So i am still left with a grainy feeling even after vigorously using it.
But its satisfactory, esp days when you just dont wanna shave or you are out of shaving cream or razor

Rate and Discover Movies