Published on November 9, 2011 by Jermyn L. Wong

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess my expectations were too high...
I was looking for a cordless replacement of my Wahl Balding clipper. I like the sub-zero length, basically a days growth of hair. I don't want a clean-shaved look. With my Wahl, I just use it without the guard and it leaves an even stubble. However, since I trim my own hair, the Wahl is heavy and awkward to use, especially in the back of my head.

I really...
Published on August 21, 2012 by RDL

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Norelco Qc5550/40 Headgroom Do-it-yourself Headgroomer, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Philips Norelco QC5550 Do-It-Yourself Headgroomer (Health and Beauty)
Among the Do-it-yourself (DIY) headgroomers I had, I would say that the Philips Norelco Qc5550/40 is so far, the best. I really like the part that it could really cut my hair to as short as 1mm (3/64 inch). There are just a few DIY headgroomers out there that could go as short as that. The motor sounds fairly quiet and cuts the hair with great precision. Its shaving head accessory also proves to be of great addition to the package. You can really shave down your head clean and safe. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess my expectations were too high..., August 21, 2012
RDL (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews

I really wanted the Qc5550 to be a light, cordless, swiveling head replacement. Unfortunately it did not meet expectations. Right away I noticed that the clipper would not give a sub-zero cut just by looking at it. Using it proved a little painful and did not leave my hair at the same length. Stray long hairs and patches were everyone, no matter how many times I went over them. Resigned to not letting my $50 go to waste, I tried out the shaving attachment. This was disappointing too. Depending on the way your hair grows, it may or may not shave well. Some parts of my head were clean shaved, while others had a noticeable stubble. Also, in order to get any kind of decent results, it needs to be used daily. I like to be able to skip a day or two. I shave my head for convenience and ease, not for style (not to mention hiding my receding/thinning hair). I don't want it to be a daily grooming chore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy buzz cutting, great battery life, even a great shaver., May 15, 2011
can't go wrong with this unit if you want super short or shaved style. Just dial in the length that you want and buzz away. The shaving attachment works great too. A lot better than some of the electric shavers that I used to have. Very close shaving and doesn't irritate my skin at all. You can actually use it on your beard. Granted, I have relatively light growth on my chin. Battery life is good. I use it every three days and on a full charge, it lasts me over three weeks. But like with any other rechargeable appliance, make sure you use it until battery is completely drained, then recharge it.

Product was delivered a day in advance of promised delivery date. No issues here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool If You Cut Your Own, October 14, 2012
After my barber retired, I started used a Remington Shortcut, and have for two or three years. I wore one of them out, and just got a new one in June. A few weeks ago, this instrument came up on my Amazon account page, so I clicked on it, just to have a look. I liked what I saw, and after reading up on it, ordered one. I had been cutting my hair as close as the Remington Shortcut could get it, which is about 1/16th", and the Headgroomer made that easier, and got it closer, just a bare stubble. I cut it with the close trimmer for about a week, maybe two, and liked it much better than the Shortcut: easier to use, and not as likely to scrape my scalp, and faster, to boot. Then, I started looking at the "balding" attachment.

Now, I had thought about taking my hair all the way down a time or two, but never wanted to get involved with one of those razor blades some guys use, because my scalp is a little uneven, having had a number of precancerous lesions removed over the years. That leaves scar tissue, and an uneven surface, but not really noticable at a glance. But the balding device looked like an electric shaver head, only bigger, with somewhat larger holes in the foil. I've used a Panasonic electric shaver for years, which looks and works a little like a smaller, more precision version of the balding attachment.

In amy event, I decided one day to give it a go. What the heck, it would grow back out in a few days if I didn't like it. So I cut it all the way down, and it was a piece of cake. No scrapes, no razor burn, no irritation of any kind, and it was quick - my kind of deal. Fast, easy, no irritation, no real downside. And the thing is, it's addictive. Once you do it, if you like the look and feel, and I do, you get hooked up on it. You can't get it too close now. It becomes worth the small effort it takes to keep it looking that way.

The Headgroomer is a terrific instrument, however short you like to cut your hair. The head unit can be turned 180 degrees, making it easy to get the cutter positioned to cut sides and back, top, front, all around, without craning your neck, or contorting to see in the mirror. By the way, the unit comes with a hand-held mirror, about 5" in diameter, with an elastic strap on the back to slide your hand under, to make holding easy, while holding the instrument in the other hand. The unit also has a hair length "zoom" adjustment, for fine-tuning cutting height. The instrument comes with three attachments, one for precision, shorter cuts, one for longer cuts, plus the "balding" attachment. It has high-tech lithium ion batteries, and charges in an hour. A charge will last four or five days, or more, if you cut your hair every day. It'll last a week or more with less frequent use.

The insturment has a battery charge indicator in the plug-in surround. The surround flashes orange when the battery is low, and turns blue when plugged in to the charging unit. When fully charged, the surround light goes out. The charging transformer is slim and narrow, using only one outlet and not covering adjacent ones.

If you cut your hair short, this device is worth looking into. I'm sold on it. I hope this has helped you understand it a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one we have tried, September 3, 2011
I bought this for my husband who has been sporting a Telly Savalas bald-look for a while now. The last hair trimmer we purchased only lasted a year and I had to cut the hair for him. This one he tried doing by himself and it worked great. Gives him a very close cut - almost balding which is what he wanted (although it has many settings so you can get the exact length you want) - and it was quick and easy. He really did a good job with it the very first time. Best of all he loves doing it and the savings will pay for it in just a couple of months. This one is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Customer Service, January 12, 2013
Robert Potter (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this to save time and money. Rather than visiting the barbershop every three weeks and paying $20 for a "number one all over" buzz cut, I thought I could clip myself once a week in just a couple of minutes before showering. It has worked out splendidly, surpassing my expectations and easily paying for itself.

But the purpose of my review isn't to tout the groomer - superb as it is - but rather to mention Phillips customer service. I'd had my clipper for about eight weeks, so I'd used it eight times, when it developed a problem. After running about three minutes, it would screech very loudly and freeze up. I could restart it, but after a few seconds the process would repeat. So I went to the Phillips website and started a live chat with one of their representatives. I'd really wanted to know if there was some way I could lubricate the groomer to eliminate the problem, but after hearing what was happening the representative simply sent me replacement unit. It arrived in about a week, I put the old groomer in the box, attached the prepaid Fed Ex label, and dropped it off at my local Fed Ex store front. It was incredibly hassle free, and the replacement has been running great for several months now. You have to love it when a business stands behind their product so well.

UPDATE JULY 2013
----------------
The replacement is still running without any issues, and I use the groomer weekly, so obviously the first unit I received was not representative of the quality of this product. A pleasant surprise that I've grown very fond of is the charging LED where the power cord plugs in. Most of the rechargeable devices I own have an LED that indicates once the unit is fully charged, but on this groomer the LED starts flashing when it's time to recharge. Unlike other Lithium ion devices, I've never had this unit quit on me; I'm always warned well before the battery is completely exhausted. That's a nice little touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, September 4, 2012
Doug Foster (Tracy, California) - See all my reviews
The first shaver ended up being a dud, as the battery failed to hold a charge and the blades would often seize with a loud screeching noise. Amazon Customer Service was absolutely amazing with the exchange process and shipped me the same model the very next day.

That was about 1 month and 10 shaves ago. This 2nd shaver has worked just as advertised w/out incident. In fact, the battery seems to last a bit longer than the 60 minute cutting time it states in the manual. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

I bought this to cut my hair myself and I use the cutting element alone w/out any combs. After the 1st couple of sessions, I felt extremely comfortable handling the shaver and utilizing the rotating head function for around the ears and when swapping hands/sides of the head. Thought and care went into shaping the product, as it feels very natural and ergonomical in hand at this point. It cuts cleanly and does not tear the hair out. I don't have to go over the same area multiple times and I get a close even #0 buzz everytime within about 10 minutes. I have yet to try the bald attachment as my girl and I both prefer the stubble look, so I cannot comment on that.

This product is definitely worth the extra $10-$20 over the cheaper competition, as you can tell Phillips put added quality into this model. The travel pouch and hand mirror are a nice touch as well, but the quality of this product stands alone as worth the price tag.

1.0 out of 5 stars 45 Days and Out of Full Return, April 6, 2013
Item makes a horrible squeaking sound and shuts off, then have to stop shaving and turn shaver back on then repeat then repeat then give up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Groomer, Poor Attachments, August 13, 2012
The groomer works well, good battery life. However the precision comb broke after 8 months of use and is discontinued on Philips' support site. Since the unit is unusable without the attachment, I must give this a poor rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily shaver and haircutter, February 9, 2014
Very easy to use and clean. You can also clean it under running water which is a huge plus. I now use it as a daily shaver as well, and have cut my and my sons hair without any issues. Great product

Philips Norelco QC5550 Do-It-Yourself Headgroomer