Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 4, 2013
Bought this on March 24 2013, item arrived March 30 2013. It's Sep 4 2013 and the thing no longer works properly. The blades keep stopping altogether and that results in pinching of the skin or pulling of the hair. $40 is what I paid for it ... that's $40 down the drain. I bought this to replace a cheaper Norelco G370. That trimmer lasted just over 2 years before giving up the ghost. This one couldn't even make it a year. Definitely NOT a product I would recommend you buy.
on August 21, 2013
First, some back story: I have stubble that grows pretty thick and very fast. My five o'clock shadow shows up at about 1 pm. I could never get my face to stay smooth shaven for very long. But then I didn't shave for a couple of days and I got quite a few compliments on my "new look". So I started searching for a trimmer I could use to maintain my stubble length. I came across this one and decided to give it a try.

When it arrived, the box was pretty easy to open. I didn't even need scissors. The charger isn't very bulky and can be easily packed in a toiletry bag when traveling. I received this on 29 June and plugged it in overnight to charge. It is now 21 August and I still haven't had to recharge it yet. I use it mostly everyday, but sometimes that stretches out to every other day depending on the circumstances for that day. I wouldn't consider it very loud, but it isn't quiet either. I'd say it falls in the middle. It isn't noticeable too unless you're in the same room.

I recommend growing out your stubble for a few days, then start using this trimmer on the highest setting and work your way down to whatever length you like. With the fine adjustment for length, you should be able to find an option that strikes your fancy. You can even take off the guard and use the bare blades on your skin. I don't feel any discomfort when I do this to touch up the edges.

Pros:
Fantastic battery life
Many options for stubble length
Can be used while charging
Easy to clean the components
Self sharpening blades

Cons:
Stubble tends to fly everywhere (I recommend standing in the bathtub to catch all the stray pieces of hair)
on September 21, 2015
The Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3500 is like a toddler making a finger painting. It requires constant monitoring and the final product still looks like garbage. You may notice from the helpful diagram included among the photos that this beard trimmer adjusts the length of the trim via a rotating dial on the handle that raises or lowers a plastic guard on the blade, effectively determining how far your face will be from the blade and thereby the length of the trimmed beard hairs. Unfortunately the plastic guard is not rigid--is in fact quite flexible, meaning that distance, carefully determined by the dial, is variable depending on how hard you press the trimmer to your face. Considering how flexible the plastic is, this is really impossible to control, as the contours of your face will depress the plastic at great variation even if you possessed the superhuman ability to apply exactly the same pressure throughout the process. What's more, the guard only adjusts up and down, not outwards; it's hard to explain, but look at one of the photos and notice that the guard wraps over the top onto the same side as the rotating dial. That part does not adjust and is only about a centimeter deep, meaning if your beard is any longer than that you really have no business using this product because your beard will obviously be entering the guard and touching the blade at all angles, not just on the tip.

This is just a miraculously worthless product. It doesn't do the basic thing it's made for with any kind of reliability or consistency. Buying it could the worst mistake I've ever made; my compulsion to do so, based on its inexplicably positive reviews, is likely a punishment delivered from On High for some nameless and terrible sin I don't remember committing.
on August 12, 2013
With promotional coupon and free shipping, I got this for $30 and it seems to do the job. It has a strong running speed and trims my mustache and goatee well. I keep these both fairly short and I have the setting all the way to the lowest (closest shave), and that's perfect for me. These may be a problem if I want to have a weekend stubble look beyond the goatee and mustache though since I'll need to have that stubble even shorter and not quite sure how to accomplish that.

The only slight negative is the plastic guard (the piece that moves up and down when you select the length of the trim you want). It may be common sense, but if you're not very careful to use the consistent pressure on your face when trimming, the guard won't really matter much and you may find yourself trimming off more than you wanted.
on January 21, 2014
I've been using the trimmer for about a month now and it works great. I especially like the dial to adjust the guard on it and it works great. I haven't found that I accidentally change it at all. Probably the only reason I didn't give it a 5 was it is a little bit of a pain to clean. You can put the blades under the water, but I find the trimmings also get down under the blades and even using the included brush to clean it isn't easy.
on April 20, 2015
This sounds weird, but I couldn't even figure out which direction I was supposed to shave with it... An awkwardly shaped, curved, flimsy plastic attachment was scary to use, hard to approach, and difficult to imagine keeping it consistent enough to get an even shave. Where am I supposed to apply pressure on the head?! I tried using it for stubble, but I could see how people who try to trim longer hair could have a patchy experience. Also, it can't be used under water?! So no using in the shower and no rinsing in the sink, apparently. The body of the unit, as soon as I picked it up, felt very cheap. I got it to replace my dulling Norelco, but now I'd rather just keep it and do a few more passes.
on October 30, 2013
I used to use the Conair iStubble, which was a good trimmer, but was terribly designed, electrically and mechanically speaking. It stopped working, so I had to look for a new one. That being the case, I bought this trimmer a week or two ago, and I wasn't sure it would trim as short as I would like (I used the .4mm setting on the Conair trimmer), but it does the job well. It's also no less powerful when not plugged in than it is when plugged in (as far as I can tell), which is a big plus.

Update: Since buying it, I've used it about 15 times and it's still running on its first charge from over a month ago!
on December 20, 2013
The face belonging to the individual writing this review has never seen a razor blade. No, in fact, I've always used a hair trimmer or beard trimmer to shave. After realizing my existing beard trimmers had a memory on the battery and would only run for a few minutes, I started researching trimmers. On my list of requirements:

Long battery life - longer than 5 minutes in 1 charge
Rounded blades - so you can shave sensitive areas without slicing them open
Works while plugged in - in case you run out of juice
Adjustable with minimal effort - meaning, I don't have to carry a bag of guards with me when I travel

This meets my demands and then some. First, the battery holds a great charge, as advertised. It comes with a great travel pouch (fabric with a pull tie), and the trimmer guard is adjustable + removable. Plus, the top of the blade just pops off, and you can use the brush to clean out the excess hair. The trimmer is also relatively quiet. The one I was using before sounded like a weed-whacker.

On to the rounded blades and adjustable guard. Yes, you can trim your nether-area without slicing it off. I'm not a very hirsute man and I can't attest to the trimming of the chest or back hair with this device. However, facial hair - yes. The guard is great if you want a certain length, and if you want to wipe it clean, removal of the card doesn't pull hair, prick, cut, or cause any pain.

What can I say? Philips made a great product... better than my cordless Remington is/was. Register it and get extra time on your warranty (or I did, anyway. Not sure if that's a time limited promotion to be honest).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This shaver is a replacement for my trusty older norelco. It has an easily adjustable plastic guard that lengthens with a thumb dial. It's very light and not too large to be awkward for accurate trimming. Holds a good charge as well. It's suitable for both beard trimming and 'manscaping'.

The only thing that keeps this from being a 5 star is the fact that on the lower/closer settings it's possible to nick yourself if you aren't careful. Exactly that happened to me, and it drew blood. Granted I was getting a little stupid with it but still, it's not TOTALLY idiot proof.

So, good razor. Buy with confidence.
on November 30, 2013
Previously owned the Philips Norelco QT4000/42 Beard Trimmer for quite some time and really loved it. Despite that fact this time i decided to go for this model for few reasons

1. Wireless. This just beats off everything.
2. Quick charging time. 4000/42 model taken almost 12 hours to charge and runs 20 minutes which this 4014/42 model takes just over an hour and lasts 40-50 min.

The precision for this model is 0.5mm which is not really much different than 1mm of 4000/42 model in practical terms. Both trimmers provide equally close results. Both the models have good grip and gives a really good experience.

Overall i'd say go for the 4000/42 (cheaper) model if you just want basic. In case you are travelling a lot or want a wireless model, go for this 4014/42 model. Totally worth the price difference.

Make sure to register your product for an increased 2.5 years warranty.