1,581 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST trimmer available...after you call Philips!
First off--like other critical reviewers you'll find here, I also had major problems with the comb. This review was almost a ONE-star rating, due to the sharp tines and general design of the comb. This _extremely_ poor comb design caused me to stab my lip several times and also resulted in uneven trimming.

Like other reviewers, I previously owned a Norelco T980...
Published on June 28, 2011 by Justin Yentile

I have had a beard, and thus have had beard trimmers, for almost 30 years, so I have some pretty strong ideas about what a trimmer should and should not do. IT SHOULD NOT STAB YOU IN THE FACE! But that is exactly what the new QT4070/41 does.

Published on October 11, 2010 by Rick Hershberger

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST trimmer available...after you call Philips!, June 28, 2011
Justin Yentile (Dorchester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Norelco QT4070/41 Beard Trimmer 7300 (Packaging May Vary) (Health and Beauty)

Like other reviewers, I previously owned a Norelco T980 and needed to move "up" when it would no longer hold a charge. With the T980 no longer available, it appeared that my options were either the QT4050 or the QT4070. Overall, the QT4050 is far inferior to the QT4070 in that it lacks the travel lock, quick charge, and turbo functions. HOWEVER...the 4050 has one feature that I believe was SUPPOSED TO BE included with the 4070--the "contour following comb". If you look closely at images of the two units side-by-side, you'll see that the comb design on the 4050 is closed--no giant gap and sharp tines with which to cut/stab yourself--and it also has a flexible guide. Those who previously used the T980 will surely recognize the design!

In my frustration with the 4070's comb, I did some research. Philips Norelco CLEARLY markets the 4070 as using their "contour following comb". That's not actually true for what's "in the box", however. The comb that comes on the shaver is model number 422203617701, which is their "plastic stubble comb". As it turns out, the combs for the 4050 and the 4070 are _interchangeable_, and with a phone call to Philips, I was able to get them to provide the 4050's comb--model number 422203617711.

After you get your shaver, if you're experiencing similar issues with the comb, call Philips at 800.243.3050 and ask to speak with a supervisor--first level reps can't seem to approve parts orders. Explain the situation, tell them you want the comb for the QT4050 (P/N 422203617711), and they'll send it to you, free of charge. Within a week, you'll be able to fully enjoy what Philips should have built in the first place!

For the record--after I received my new CONTOUR FOLLOWING COMB, the QT4070 is a FIVE-star trimmer--it's exactly what I wanted. The one-star ding represents the hassle it took to get this product to be all it should be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore old reviews - product has changed, March 27, 2012
The QT4070 is now shipping with both the stubble and "contour following" that the QT4050 comes with. I almost did not buy this due to some of the reviews that complained about the stubble comb, but I just happened to wade down to the newest reviews and notice people Amazon is now shipping it with both combs. I tried desperately to find the T980, but it is no longer available anywhere, even on Ebay, so don't waste your time looking for that, as other reviews suggested. With the turbo vacuum feature that actually does catch at least 90% of the clippings, I don't think any other beard trimmer out there can touch this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem Solved, October 31, 2012
I believe Norelco has solved the trimmer issue mentioned in the negative reviews. I just purchased the QT4070 and it has both combs included with the trimmer, Trimming Comb and the Contour-following Trimming Comb. It matches the part numbers in the cautionary reviews. The Stubble Trimmer has been discontinued as a replacement part. Hope this helps others looking at the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Design FAIL! Avoid stabbing yourself. Buy the Norelco T980 instead!, October 11, 2010

For years I was wonderfully happy with Norelco's previous top-of-the-line model, the T980. I love the vacuum feature, the turbo setting cut my tough beard with gusto, and the length adjustment was generally adequate (though the settings were a bit wide apart, so 3 was too long and 2 was too short).

But the engineers at Norelco have taken a wonderfully designed T980 trimmer and screwed it up royally. The problem is with the guide comb. On the older T980, the guide comb completely covered the cutting head. But on the new Qt4070/41, the guide comb has tines that extend along the top and front of the cutting head, and END IN SHARP POINTS. So the cutting head sits exposed within a cavity between the ends of the two sets of pointy tines. Yeah, sure, that's what I need to drag across my face all bleery-eyed in the morning - pointed sticks! :-(

The new guide comb's design is woefully stupid for two reasons:

1) The length to which your hairs are cut will VARY depending on the angle with which you hold the trimmer against your skin. If you hold the upper face of the guide comb flat against your skin, you get a longer cut than if you allow your skin to span the gap between the two set of tines. And frankly, you KNOW you can't hold the trimmer at the same angle all over your face! BOTTOM LINE: AN UNEVEN TRIM!

2) Even if you are trying hard to keep the flat top of the guide comb flush against your face, you eventually have to turn a corner, like at your jaw line. I have used this Qt4070/41 about a dozen times now, and each time I have managed to jab myself with those stupid tines somewhere - in the jawline, in the chin, in the lip, etc. I know it's just a matter of time before I (a) break a tine, or (b) draw blood. BOTTOM LINE: A PAINFUL TRIM

My advice: QUICK! Buy a T980 before it is discontinued and all bought up! Maybe Norelco will fix the Qt4070/41 by the time you wear out your T980.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire the design team!, June 25, 2011
I made the mistake of listening to the positive reviews on this trimmer. Don't believe them. The negative reviews are correct. The guide is defective for all the reasons given in the reviews. I was unable to get as good a trim on my face, where I keep my beard at 4 mm, as with the old 980--it simply didn't cut all the hairs no matter how many times I went over it. But the real trouble was under the chin, where I cut closer. As other reviews state, the guide does not cover the cutter. And as the cutter is near the corner of the shaver, it will go as close to a curved surface as you let it--no guide to help out. Luckily, the blades don't cut skin, or I'd be bleeding all over. And the curve between the jaw and the neck is the real trouble. Keeping the shaver level with the surface is irrelevant--the problem is cutting the hair around a concave surface. And if you lengthen the setting to recess the blades, those flexible pointy little daggers become the problem that more than one reviewer complained about. Now if you like to cut all this down to bare skin, then this shaver is 4 stars for you. But if you like to keep some beard down there, you're in serious trouble with this shaver--there's no getting an even cut on a concave surface. Worse, I got an uneven cut under my chin on a level surface, and I can't begin to guess why--I kept that guide nice and level like a couple of reviewers went on to say as if the rest of us don't know how to trim a beard.

The vacuum works much better on this shaver than the 980. And the door is better than the previous tray, which broke on me and required fixing with super glue, as another reviewer also experienced. The digital readout is great for old eyes. You can also shave very close with this trimmer (no guide on the corner), for those that want such a thing. For those like me with sensitive skin, not a plus.

Norelco ought to take the 4070 off the market--it is a terrible product and is damaging their reputation. And those folks that write glowing reviews, if they aren't company shills, then they ought to stop and think about what they are encouraging people to buy. Listen to them and buy it if you must, like I did, but you've been warned. A beard trimmer should be easy to use to produce an even cut, even over the concave surfaces and especially the flat and convex surfaces. This one is not.

I've been trimming my beard for 35 years. First with scissors, then with a Remington, then Norelcos. The Norelcos have been great, until now. The 980's motor died, not the battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 REASONS WHY IT'S THE BEST BEARD (& HAIR) TRIMMER ON THE MARKET, December 9, 2012
J. Aardal (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I've tried a few trimmers in my time, and this is by far the best one.
First off the one and two star reviews that mention the lack of the contour comb attachment are now invalid - it now includes it AND the new stubble attachment.

1. Comes with both contour comb and stubble attachment. Use whichever one works better for you.
2. Works great for both hair and beard (I use the 4 mm setting for my head, can't say how good it is for long hair).
3. Vacuum system works very well and a real sink-cleaning time saver.
4. Small power adapter that works with 100-240 VAC, so can be used abroad.
5. No risk of trim height changing accidentally due to rotating ring selector.
6. Light weight, small size compared to a lot of wired trimmers.
7. Corded + cordless use.
8. Guide comb comes off for detail work.
9. 1 hour charge time.
10. 2 1/2 year warranty if registering with Philips online.

I could go on. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Fear the Reaper!, February 22, 2011
Jon Morris (Binghamton, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I almost steered clear of this product based upon some of the reviews I read below. I am glad I did not.

I purchased this beard trimmer because I have sensitive skin and live in the NE. In the winter, it gets so cold and dry here that I constantly nick myself, and electric razors cause me to have ingrown whiskers.

Frustrated, I finally decided I would opt for a beard trimmer: something that would keep my beard short enough that I might still have a goatee as opposed to a full beard; yet, something that would preclude nicks and cuts that might cause breakouts.

I have found this trimmer to be perfect for those needs. I keep it at the lowest setting and actually remove the guard so as to cut my beard as short as possible. I have sensitive skin, mind you, and not once has the trimmer nicked or cut it. Not even close. In fact, I am so confident of this Norelco that I bet I could have a Bloody Mary for breakfast before using it and still not hurt myself; I really have no idea how the gentleman who wrote the fearful review is going about using the trimmer.

When I purchased it, I was more interested in the trimming aspect; I had no interest in the vacuum feature. That said, it works really well and makes no more noise than a typical electric razor. It is easy to clean and quick to charge. I use the trimmer every morning and charge it for one hour every 7 - 10 days.

A note on length. Some say that you are left with a 5 o'clock shadow, but I have a very thick beard. At the shortest setting, I would say that my beard looks like it typically did not at 5 pm, but at 6 am the next morning. Just a tad bit longer. I suppose the effect will depend upon how thick your beard is, the color, etc. At work no one even noticed that I had gone from a razor to a trimmer, so it is surely cutting closely.

In sum: after more than a month using this trimmer every day, I have had no nicks, no breakouts, and no worries. Oddly, as one reviewer mentioned, your beard does feel different after trimming it each morning. So go on: don't fear the reaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norelco hit it out of the park (just about)!, August 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Compared to any other trimmer on the market, I venture to say this is the most superior. I have owned at least 4 different types, including another Norelco. By any comparison, this product exceeds my expectations and makes other trimmers look like garbage.

The trimmer is a pleasure to hold and seems ergonomically designed. The build quality is very solid- to the point of impressive. Adjusting the trimmer is accomplished via a rubber coated adjustment wheel that is accessible on both sides of the trimmer. There are length indicators on the side vertically (a scale in inches) and the adjustment size displays on the LCD screen in millimeters. This provides a precise cut to those who require such precision (not me). The width of the blade area is more than sufficient for face and other areas (more on that later). Touted as a Vacuum trimmer, it does a pretty good job overall with some room for improvement as it may not vacuum all hair although that may depend on the length of hair being cut. Hair collects in a little compartment with a swing door. The trimmer is rechargeable (a stand is not included however- just the charger). Despite being rechargeable, the trimmer is very powerful, easily cutting through thick beard.

Some Issues

As stated before, the vacuum does a decent job, but not a great job at collecting hair. The shorter the hair, the better the job. At the very least, it seems to significantly contain the mess. Another issue is that due to the design of the blade guard, you cannot really trim right up under the nose. It gets pretty close, but not quite. Finally, neither a beard brush, travel case, or recharger stand are included. I was a little surprised in this regard.

I am unable to comment at this time on how long the battery will last. I will have to edit my review after a few months to see how the charge stands up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uneven trim, and it does not contain all advertised components, needs a stand, February 1, 2012
I am unable to get an even trim with this product, because there is an open gap in the front where the blades are fully exposed. As a result, the trimmer either trims to a very close stubble length, or does not trim enough, depending on how you angle the trimmer. This is a huge problem. For over $50 I would expect it to give a perfect, uniform trim. Because of this problem, I contacted customer support and was told that a contour following comb(similar to the QT4050), which would eliminate the issues I am having. They offered to ship this comb free of charge. Unfortunately, I keep receiving emails stating that the comb is on backorder, and the shipping date keeps getting delayed further. It is now past the 45 day money back guarantee, and after speaking to customer service again, I was told that they no longer make this part and cannot give me an estimate of when I can expect to receive it. I would love to give the product more stars, but without a contour following comb it is worthless. I just lost $50.

Also, according to the description page, the product was supposed to come with a pouch. It did not. Philips/Norelco customer service was very helpful. They sent me a pouch free of charge.

I have no idea why Philips/Norelco would sell their trimmer without necessary / advertised parts. If this is how they do business, I will not be purchasing anything else from them.

It would also be nice if the product had a stand. Laying the trimmer on its side causes messy trimmings to fall out, and because of its rounded bottom it is impossible to stand upright.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible for Short Beard Hair, November 8, 2010
I have previously been using a Norelco T870 but the battery stopped holding a charge so I have had to buy a new trimmer. Although there were 3 reviews here that mentioned the guide being faulty I decided to try the trimmer due to the 20+ positive reviews and the lack of a decent alternative.
The trimmer arrived this evening so after charging it for an hour I tried it out.
The guide is adjustable to give a varying length of cut. The lowest setting gives a 2mm cut and the highest 18mm. Unfortunately, the guide is made using flexible prongs which bend a good 3-4mm. This means that if you use a low setting the guide prongs will bend fully to the blade. I found this out by cutting my lip twice in the first minute of use. I also quickly found that due to the flexibility of the guide using a low setting results in a really uneven cut.
I keep my beard pretty short (4-5mm) and there's no way I can use this without the blade cutting me and without making my beard look like it's been hacked at by someone with blunt kid scissors. I think it would be a good product for someone with longer beard hair but for me it is completely unusable.

Philips Norelco QT4070/41 Beard Trimmer 7300 (Packaging May Vary)
$59.99 $44.95