4.0 out of 5 stars Great new mid-line Philips Norelco shaver bests shave of top of the line from a few years ago
Before obtaining this shaver (through a promotion) I had been using the Philips Spectra 8890XL shaver (the so-called "James Bond" shaver), which was the top of the Philips line a few years ago, which at the time was widely reviewed as the best available electric shaver, and which retailed for around $200. I had doubts that this shaver, which retails for about half that,...
Published on July 22, 2008 by David Pearlman

3.0 out of 5 stars good, not great
Having not used an electric shaver for nearly 30 years, I was interested in how much they had improved (if any) in that time. This Norelco is pretty good as electrics go.

You are required to do a 12 hour charge before using the shaver to fully condition the battery (also after periods of one month or more of non-use). After that, the shaver is supposed to...
Published on August 20, 2008 by Jon Norris

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars For the high-speed lifestyle, easy to use, July 23, 2008
This review is from: Philips Norelco Speed-XL 8240 Men's Shaving System (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 8240XL is designed to be used as a dry shaver, but I evaluated it both as a dry shaver and a wet shaver. It has 3 individual heads with an innovative stubble catcher system. There's an anti-microbial coating that allows you to easily flush out the hairs caught behind the rotary heads. Compared to the Norelco 8040X wet shaver system, the 8240XL follows the contours of my face a lot better due to how the suspension was designed. The heads flex in all different directions and I did not have any trouble shaving my jaw area which is very angular.

In addition, the combs have 2 different methods of combing the hairs. They have tiny slits for long and thin hairs, while the larger holes can work the shorter and thicker hairs. With the 8040X, I found that it often left a few hairs unshaved. The 8240XL shaves 99% of my face, but I still have to use a regular wet razor blade to trim my sideburns and the few hairs that remain unshaved. The flip-out trimmer on the 8240XL is not that great for trimming hairs, but I found that it is useful for shortening long beards/mustaches that would be painful to shave using the 3 rotary heads. The trimmer keeps those hairs just the right length for the rotary heads.

The charging system of the 8240XL isn't as intuitive to use - you essentially plug in the AC adapter directly to the razor instead of docking the razor on a station. The Li-Ion battery pack should offer years of problem-free service. The travel pouch is a nylon pouch with a zipper that can secure the contents.

I used some Nivea shaving gel to shave using the 8240XL, since I figured it was water resistant and can be flushed under running water. I needed the gel so the heads could glide over my skin. When used dry, the 8240XL seemed too "grippy" to smoothly shave my face but it still did a great job wet or dry. The stubble catcher allows you to use the 8240XL on the go (in a taxi cab, on the road, or in the office), and the built-in spring-action trimmer is useful for shortening beard/mustache hairs for the rotary heads to shave.

The true benefit of an electric rotary shaver is how it handles my mustache hairs. Using a Mach 3 / Quattro / multi-bladed razor, I always get nasty razor burn if I shave on a daily basis. That is because the blade directly contacts the skin and I found it difficult to get a clean shave. With the Norelco 8240XL, I am able to get a very smooth shave on a daily basis without razor burn or irritation!

Pros: Ergonomic housing, fast charging, rotary heads follow square faces very well, quiet motor, smooth and close shave, stubble catcher works nicely, 120V/240V AC adapter, wet and dry use, and easy to service. Excellent battery life, can be used corded or cordless.

Cons: Still has issues with shaving 100% of my face, sideburn trimmer is a neat feature but it doesn't work. I recommend keeping a razor handy to shave the unshaven hairs and to trim sideburns. The heads are placed in a location where it is difficult to see where it has shaved. Use it with caution near your sideburns.

Overall: Very compact and efficient, but not an all-inclusive shaving system. I still recommend using some type of shaving conditioner or gel for better lubrication. I also recommend using a bladed razor for your sideburns and to shave any hairs that the Norelco missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars This shaver is up to the task, August 7, 2008
Bill Garrison (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If I shave in the morning, I'll have the makings of a five-o'clock shadow in the afternoon. I've always used electric razors, and I've used wet/dry, single blade, and rotary blade. This Philips Norelco, might just be the best I've ever used. It gives a clean, close shave that lasts almost all day. The quiet motor at first seems like its hardly working, but it efficiently trims my beard. The battery holds a charge for a long time. Shaving below the jaw and around the neck can be tedious, but I've never had a razor behave otherwise. The trimmer, however, does not work well at all and is the only problem I had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shaves, long battery life, but no warning when the battery dies, August 21, 2008
Personal Robot (Always here, sometimes there) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having been a non-electric shaver for years now, I yearned for the simplicity of an electric razor, but worried about the problems I'd had with previous electric razors: razor burn. I'm happy to report that after nearly a month with this razor, I've had not a single instance of that, and had very close shaves as well. Maybe not as close as a blade, but close enough that I don't complain and, more importantly, my wife doesn't complain.

This close shave appears to be due to the flexibility of the head design - all three razors display a great deal of movement, but on top of that, the entire head assembly can pivot to help keep the blades flat against difficult areas like the neck/jawline, which is where I typically suffered the most with previous electric razors.

It's fast and quiet - just a light whirring purr as it gobbles up the stubble, and when you're done, just rinse it out under the running sink. It can't get much easier than that.

I do, however, have to register a minor complaint, and it is that Norelco saw fit to leave out low-battery warning lights. This is cheap of them. At the price they are asking, this razor should include that. I scrambled to finish my shave the other morning when I realized that the motor was quickly dying - not realizing (having already lost my instruction booklet - PDF versions can be found on the Norelco site) that I can run the razor on the cord for a quick shave. It also would have been handy to include some kind of stand. After rinsing out the razor, it simply lays on the counter, dripping all over the place.

All in all, however, I'm very pleased. I'm actually prepared to put away my four-bladed razor and shaving gel at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely happy with this shaver, August 5, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Philips Norelco recommends using this razor for 21 straight days before deciding if it's right for you. It only took one shave to realize my Mach 3 days were over. This "made in Holland" razor is great. While it does not shave quite as closely as the Mach 3 it shaves closely enough that I feel totally comfortable walking out every morning in my suit and tie knowing my face looks clean shaven.

My beard is tough, too. On my neck, especially, the whiskers go every which way and are thick. The Norelco chops them all down with no problem. On top of that, my skin is sensitive. I could count on nicking myself about one in ten times I shaved with the Mach 3. The Norelco does not nick, pinch, burn, or feel uncomfortable in any way. It even handled two days growth without causing any irritation to my skin.

The lightness of the razor is a plus. Lightness here does not equate with cheapness as the razor seems solid and durable. It is also very comfortable to hold and emits only a low buzzing sound. It recharges quickly and, so far, at least, holds its charge well. Cleaning under the bathroom faucet is quick, easy, and thorough.

After a little over two weeks of using this razor I am very pleased with it. I recommend it to anyone who wants to rid themselves of old fashioned blades and shaving cream. The only problem I have with the razor, and it is a slight one, is getting the area just under my nose. However, that is also a problem area with most old fashioned razors, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Shaver, July 16, 2009
I bought this shaver about 3 weeks ago, and I must say it is amazing. very close shave (even before the 21 days adjustment) with no to minimal skin irritations. This product made me hate shaving so much less, it is almost enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars A "so-so" shaver, misses a lot of hair, irritates skin.., April 5, 2010
Used this shave for 5 months now, and I have to say I'm not happy with it.
If you let your hair to grow a little bit before shaving (say, over a weekend or 3-4 days vacation), you won't like shaving with it.

Neck area is a brutal challenge for this shave. It completely ignores tons of hair on the neck, and only scrubbing it with a side cutter (or whatever it's called) will more of less cut the hair about half-way.

Mustaches area, if you let the hair grow there for a couple of days, will be a pain to shave. And I mean "pain". From the very start, when blades on it were completely new, it would pinch and tear out the hair from the skin, which is quite painful. Right now every time I shave that area I can't help but anticipate the pain that always follows.

I will be throwing this thing away and returning back to a horizontal shave from Panasonic, which was way better.

My recommendation - look elsewhere, this thing shaves like a $10-dollar discount shaver from Ross.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8240XL Fantastic Shave, July 1, 2009
I purchased the Philips Norelco 8240XL about 6 weeks ago and I could not have been happier. I had switched from Norelco about 3 years ago and opted for the Braun foil shaver, it worked well, but I am glad to be back with Philips Norelco triple head shaver. Probably the closet shave I have ever had, great product, excellent value for the price. You won't regret this purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as effective as Norelco wants you to think, August 19, 2011
I bought one of these, and discovered it shaved no better than my ancient 965RX or a Remington knock-off. The way the heads are described is overstated: they will simply not cut long hairs unless you're quite deliberate and make MANY passes. They are especially ineffective at cutting flat-liers (which are common for me). They also still cause pain like the earlier model; the weak motor simply doesn't spin them fast enough to cut the hairs before they snag. While the pivot system appears more effective than those other razors and it certainly felt like it was making generous skin contact, the result was still no better than my old Norelco because of the cutting heads. Norelco is at least truthful about the ease of maintenance.

Also, Norelco is in the habit of abusing internal batteries to generate new sales, hoping ignorant/lazy consumers will simply toss a razor with a failed battery and buy a new one rather than tear it open and desolder and replace the battery. I did that three times with my old 965RX... and it HAD to be done because the razor drew power THROUGH the battery and would not run directly off the cord. The razor failed when the battery failed, unless and until it was replaced. I wound up buying the Remington because it was corded, and in fact had a motor that ran directly off of AC line current, unlike all the Norelcos which use low-voltage low-torque DC motors. (Unfortunately the result still wasn't much more effective.)

I wound up returning the 8240 under their 45-day guarantee; that was MONTHS ago and I am still waiting for a check. They misplaced my returned razor and hadn't even logged that I had returned it until I became worried and called them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Blues, June 18, 2011
Ol'BlueEyes (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
I always used to think that Norelco was the Cadillac (Mercedes?) of electric shavers. I bought one about eight years ago and within a year the controls started to go crazy and I couldn't turn the thing on. It was still under warranty, so it was replaced. Same thing happened to the replacement within six months. I guess that's why they pulled it off the market quickly.

I wasn't going to buy Norelco again, but I was swayed by all the reviews here. I bought the 8240 almost exactly a year ago from Amazon (and for $69.99). No real complaints for a year. Just a little hard to shave up near the nostrils. Easy to clean, a big plus with me.

Unfortunately the day came when I forgot to stop charging it after an hour and left it to charge all night. Next morning it ran for 15 seconds and quit cold. Now the battery won't hold a charge at all no matter how long or short you charge it. I haven't given up on it yet, but for now I have a corded razor.

Addendum - 1 month later: Could not resuscitate the battery. Nice shaver still, but corded.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, August 17, 2009
I've had a dozen Norelco shavers over the years. This particular shaver is the worst yet. No matter how many times I drag it around my face, I can never get a close shave. It seems Norelco keeps making them cheaper and cheaper as the years go by with no improvement in performance. They hype improvements, but in this case the triple bladed head leaves uncut whiskers all over my face. It has a pathetic little drive motor in it that just doesn't seem to have enough horsepower to get the job done. Pass on this one and look else where.

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›