Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used this player about 4-5 times a week for almost 4 months so far, and it's been completely reliable and trouble-free. I love it!

The audio quality is rich and full, especially when using a headset. The player has dual headphone outlets, so it's easy for two to share (ideal for keeping two kids happily occupied on long family trips).

The video quality is superb; colors are vibrant and deeply displayed; images play back with absolutely no shakiness, jerkiness, or blurriness whatsoever, regardless of the speed of action on the screen. I haven't experienced any skipping, even while viewing with the player bouncing on my knees. The screen is easily viewed from several angles; unlike some players I've seen, you don't have to sit directly in front of it to get a good view of the action. You can play Blu-Ray discs or regular DVDs & I've found that even my own DVD-R home movies play great.

There's a USB port so you can view photos or video or music stored on a flash drive; I've used mine to play back a family slideshow with audio--it actually sounded better than it did on my laptop (& I have a very high quality Toshiba with harman/kardon speakers).

There's an ethernet port you can use for upgrading the software & accessing BD-Live content.

There are only two drawbacks for me, which weren't bothersome enough to lower my opinion of the player:

1. HDMI port is OUT only (which means it can be used to play Blu-Rays and DVDs on your TV). I was hoping the HDMI port could be used as an input to power a Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p to play Amazon Prime Movies or Netflix, but no go. Ah, well.

2. For some reason, there's no volume control on the remote control; you have to control volume via a button on the player (but no real biggie, since I'm generally just an arm's reach away from the screen).

You can, however, use the remote to play, fast forward, rewind, skip by scene (forward or back), access the main menu, access the popup menu, choose audio options, turn subtitles off or on, turn the player off or on, find out where you are in the film (minutes played/minutes total), perform a time search, zoom, repeat, picture-in-picture, and lots MORE. There are even four color buttons (red, green, yellow, and blue) for selecting tasks/options for blu-ray discs.

The player's the perfect size for me; the footprint is just 9-/12" x7-1/4" and 1-5/8 thick (when sitting on a tabletop). It has a nice, solid heft and the laser player is very quiet (no humming!). The DVD's are inserted by opening the player and pressing an "open" button that allows you access to the recessed disc compartment--I like this design much better than one that inserts from the side because it's much easier to feel the "snap" as you nestle a DVD in place. There's a thumb notch to make removing a disc easy.

There's a very small sliding power switch on the bottom (left front) of the player that you MUST turn on to use the player or charge the battery. The battery can be charged while you play (nice touch); if you want to fast-charge the battery, plug in the AC cable and turn the bottom power switch to the "off position." I usually just charge while I play discs (there's a charge indicator light on the front edge of the player--red when needing charging, green when fully charged).

You can play discs either with AC power or just battery power (pretty obvious--it's a PORTABLE player).

Screen size is 8" x 4-3/8" (9" diagonal) & the resolution is excellent. The display can be set to do 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Panscan, 16:9 Widescreen, 16:9, and 21:9 Cinema. HDMI Video output can be set at Auto, Native, 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080p/24Hz. There's even a setting for HDMI Deep Color, which enables or disables vivid images with over a billion colors on Deep Color enabled TVs.

This player can play blu-ray discs, DVDs, DVD-R, DVD-RW, VCD/SVCD, Audio CD, DivX Plus HD media, MKV media.

File formats it can play include:
VIDEO: .avi, .divx, .mp4, .mkv
AUDIO: .mp3, .wma, .wav
PICTURE: .jpg, .gif, .png

The carrying case is not bulky; it's nicely padded and has a divided compartment for storing the AC cable and remote. It's made of a nice black canvas on the outside with a top flap with velcro closure and two carrying handles. The inside is a nice, smooth black nylon.

I really do love this player; my favorite use for mine (beyond movie viewing use) is using it as my "exercise buddy" with my favorite workout DVDs like
Super Callanetics - Amazon.com Exclusive DVD,SWAT Workout: Rapid Tone and Firm **RESISTANCE BAND INCLUDED**, and Pure Barre: Pershing Square 1: Ballet, Dance, Pilates Fusion Workout.

Highly recommended for its great video quality, portability, and ease of use. If you have any questions about any of the features, just leave a comment & I'll do my best to find an answer for you. Cheers!
2626 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have both blu-ray and dvd's and you don't want to leave your blu-rays at home; this is the player for you. It plays blu-ray, DVD, DVD-R & RW, and pretty much everything else. You can also plug in an USB drive with a movie on it and watch it. It comes with the cord you need to hook it up to your tv. You can hook up 2 headphones for joint enjoyment. There is the LAN hook up, HDMI hook up, a spot to put the USB drive, and comes with power cord and car charger. Also, it comes with a remote, my only complaint would be that you can't control the volumne with the remote.
on November 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been wanting both a portable DVD player for when I travel as well as a BluRay player for home and I love how this device combines the best of both worlds. The size is convienet and not bulky at all and so will fit easily in my carry on bag for when I travel. It comes with its own little case which fits all the hookups, remote and charger that comes with the device. Although I wish that it was just a little bigger to store some DVDs in it as well or had an over the shoulder carry strap - but overall its a good little case for something that comes standard.

When I first got the player I had a bit of difficulty turning it on as I'd never really played with a portable player before and so didn't know about the switch on the bottom. But once I got over that brain fart moment it was very intuitive to use. I watched one movie just on the screen was very clear and the size was just right. I also purchased an HDMI cable to watch a bluray movie on my living room tv. It was super easy to hook up and the remote made navigating the menu options a breeze. I also like how when you turned off the player when I restarted it I was able to pick up right where I left off.

I loved this player far more then I thought I would and know that I'll be using it a lot in the future.
on May 26, 2012
I wanted a Blu-Ray player for travel and ordered this player -- I had a Philips before and the battery died even though it was used infrequently. The batteries in these Philips are not serviceable -- so when they go, they are done. I guess I wasn't surprised to find that the battery in this unit would not take a charge even though this was a brand new unit. I was hoping that, for the price of the unit, this would be a little higher quality. The quality is pretty lackluster -- the player did function when it was plugged in and the best feature was the quality of the screen. Don't expect to see a jump in quality over other players -- this is a dissappointment. I ended up returning the item for a refund.
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I will start off by giving Philips customer service a nice plug. When my first BR player shipped to me broken, they promptly replaced it at no cost to me. Of course this shoudl have never happened in the first place. The problem comes from the flimsy springs they use to hold the disc tray lid. They snap off quite easily I guess, as the player had both of them snapped upon its arrival. It is not preferable to tape the lid closed every time you play a disc.

Once I procured a working product, I found that the philips player did everything I hoped it would, but it didn't do it particularly well. One main selling point to the product was the ability to play downloaded movies on it from a usb port. The player is wildly slow in reading external hard drives and flash drives. Worse, there is no way to navigate within the video file. For example, if you are on a place, watch the first hour of a film and then have to turn it off, there is no way to get back to the spot you left from. This is a massive problem.

On the bright side, the screen is excellent and it hooks up very easily to TVs via HDMI. It is hard to give it a full recommendation though with its cheap craftsmanship (especially for the price) as well as its somewhat limited functionality.
on March 22, 2013
This blu-ray player can play blu-ray, DVD, and even VCD. It can also resume playing DVD or Blu-ray from where it was last played. The reading speed is also fast after the disc is loaded. For the screen resolution, I cannot tell the difference between this and the Sony. For the battery life, after it gets fully charged, I can watch a movie or two without problem, although I am not sure after one year or two it will still have this good battery life. The speaker sound quality and volume is good and I cannot tell Sony is any better or worse. It also has two earphone plugs which allows two persons to view the movie without affecting anyone else. I bought one Panasonic and one iLuv earphone for this player, and the sound quality in earphones is much better than the player's speakers. I also used HDMI cable to connect this player to a digital TV and the quality is good, which is just like a regular blu-ray player and startup speed is faster than a Samsung player. I cannot comment on DVD upscaling because nothing is impressive. There is no fast forward/backward playing buttons on the player itself, although that function is on the remote, which is a downside. Also, the player looks a little bit bulky and heavier than I expected. The AC adapter is a little bulky too. Other than those, I am pretty happy with this player for the sale price I got. If the price is more than 200 dollars, then I would say it is way too expensive, because then I would rather spend a few more hundred bucks to invest on a laptop with blu-ray player.
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm so in love with this player already, the screen is beautiful and easy on the eyes. Was easy to set up. Even non blue-ray disks were crystal clear.

Comes with a handy travel bag and an adapter which allows you to play the movie in the player and watch it on your bigger tv screen at home using either audio/video composite cables or HDMI. Neither the composite or HDMI cable is supplied. There's an on/off switch on the bottom of the player to save your battery life in addition to the Power-on switch on the player itself.

Mine makes noises when I insert the movie but stops after loading..so hopefully that won't be an issue later on. And I wish the manual had said the time it takes to charge the player and how long a charge lasts but I couldn't find it, but it does come with a car charger. Also it comes with a paper manual which I like much better than one on a cd.

I highly recommend this player.
on April 12, 2014
And somehow the power button didn't work all the time in that the player would turn itself on. Very annoying. And the 12 Volt car power cord was RIDICULOUSLY short. There was no way it would reach the back seat.
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a fantastic Blu-ray & standard DVD player that you can take with you while you're out & about or using a HDMI cord,you can patch it in to your home TV.

Today I watched the Blu-ray of Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs and it looked Great,then I watched the standard DVD of Russ Meyer's BTVOTD and it also looked & sounded perfect,even without headsets.

I also played a CD of MP3s and it sounds really good,by this time I was back in the house & had plugged in with the AC cord so I could recharge the battery.

This is a great,well built player that's nice & light weight and comes with a travel bag that holds all the cords and the remote control.

This is a really fun portable entertainment unit and at a great price.
on August 6, 2013
I purchased this to replace a 10+ year old unit. Obviously, the advancement in technology over a decade makes this a vast improvement over the older model. Picture is very good.

The down side. Sound volume is lacking, particularly if there's background noise. I typically use head phones and that helps. Battery lasted about 3 hours, or rather, 1 and 1/2 movies. Inconvenient to have your movie stop mid-way. Also, off/on switch is on the bottom of the unit. Very strange location when everything else is on top or the side?

Nonetheless, I gave it four stars. Perhaps a gracious rating based on going from a very outdated unit to newer technology.