4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying the quality and value of this set.
I got a good deal on this unit, only 525.00 (I think) from Wal-mart. I did some research and it seem to have what I was looking for in my first HDTV. Philips/Magnavox has been a favorite of mine for a very long time. I have had this set going on two years now and had no problems. It has shown me the major differences between analog and digital signals.

I...
Published on January 26, 2007 by D.W. Long

3.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away! Good picture; lousy lifespan and service.
This is a wakeup call for all who are looking to buy a new HDTV, be it Plasma, LCD, or Direct View... please, hear this:

I bought a Philips 30PW9110D, 30-inch HDTV from Wal-Mart in January, 2006. This was the result of one full year of deep research, looking for this features:

HDMI connectivity

Built-in ATSC and NTSC tuners...
Published on October 13, 2006 by Manuel San Miguel

3.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away! Good picture; lousy lifespan and service., October 13, 2006
This review is from: Philips 30 in Progressive Scan Widescreen HDTV (30PW9110D/37) (Electronics)

HDMI connectivity

Built-in ATSC and NTSC tuners

Widescreen -16:9

Capable of both 720P and 1080i resolution

Above all, I looked for the best picture quality. Weight and size were NOT a factor.

Well, the Philips did look great, but only when viewing DVD's through my Samsung HD941 using the HDMI cable. Regular cable looked fuzzy, with colors washed out. It was worse that the TV it was meant to replace; my old 27-inch Sony Trinitron (10-years and going...).

Bought it on January... went down in July after an electrical storm, even though I had it hooked to a Monster Surge Protector.

That's when my nightmare started...

I contacted Philips and they gave me the phone for one of their service centers. They in turn, said that they were backlogged on Philips TVs (hint??) and could not service my TV. Again I contacted Philips, which provided another alternate repair shop.

This second shop took my TV on a $35.00 deposit. Two days later, the repairman told me the TV is NOT serviceable; it would cost $850.00... but I paid $667.00 for it!!!

I just gave up and left the piece of junk with them to dispose of it.

At least, I got some great inside shop info that will help me in the future, and I want to pass it on to all of you: They also told me discretely that Philips HDTV's are pilling up in the shop, as are a great deal of Plasma TVs, specially Polaroid, LG, and Proview. Most of these TVs failed before two years! Trust me; this is INSIDE INFORMATION.

So stick to the few reliable ones with dependable service: Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Sharp, Mitsubishi, and Dell.

Hope this works for you.

Manny55

Orlando, Florida, Oct. 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying the quality and value of this set., January 26, 2007
D.W. Long (Millsboro, Delaware United States) - See all my reviews

I recommend it because for the money, from my experience, you are getting a solid reliable TV with a lot of viewing options.

Yes some day I will get a flat panel of some kind, but I'm in no rush as I am happy with this HDTV performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the money!, January 11, 2013
Great HD picture, love the Picture in Picture option. It has been a reliable TV for us. Only negative that I can think of is that while the speakers sound good, they don't get REALLY loud when you want to jam.

2.0 out of 5 stars average at best, December 25, 2006
This T.V. was purchased at Wal-mart after returning a Sanyo which went out after owning it 11 months (Fortunately I was able to return the T.V. per the warranty). This T.V.'s picture, when compared to every other HDTV is poor to average at best. The sound is poor and there is no audio out to take advantage of the digital surround associated with HDTV. The price is low enough to influence a sale, but when it comes to HDTV why skimp on price, buy the T.V. that takes full advantage.

Overall this is a fine T.V. if you just want to say that you own an HDTV. However if you truely want to own an HDTV, I recommend somthing else.

1.0 out of 5 stars TV is destined to FAIL., February 29, 2008
HDTV picture was nice. It wasn't calibrated correctly so I had to go into service mode to adjust it. Yesterday it died. It is out of warranty after 2 years the TV is dead. A complete waste of 600$