5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Razor
This is a very good beard trimmer. If you are going to use it to completely shave your beard off you might want to get a different razor, but if you want to keep your beard trimmed at a certain length, I would highly recommend this!
Published 3 months ago by Tyler Stage

3.0 out of 5 stars Does It ALL But Just "OK"....
Published 22 months ago by USMC Combat Vet

3.0 out of 5 stars Does It ALL But Just "OK"...., June 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At age 63 I have now owned way too many razors of every type. But the only type I never owned was any Norelco with a foil head! Well sort of anyway. As a groomer/trimmer/shaver (of sorts on the shaver part), this should get 5 stars by way of being so versatile. But as with virtually every item I ever owned in my life that "does everything", it makes quite a few sacrifices along the way.

It is extremely comfortable in my hand. I LOVE the trimmer for beard/mustache trimming. It really does shine there (for me anyway). For styling and trimming a beard to certain shapes and angles is where this works. As a razor, I would sadly give this a 2 star rating at BEST (1 star to be brutally honest)....And I definitely recommend you do not skip a day & try this as a shaver or expect to feel like you are using an epilator (please, don't ask...). And changing the settings did not help a bit here. It simply fails as anything but an emergency razor for my face. But I really feel it's true value is with beard sculpting.

The charger base is a cheap feeling surprise to me given the price of this. I have stopped keeping it on the sink and moved it to a shelf over the toilet (with lid CLOSED!) since tipping it over is so darn easy. I somehow just don't feel the need to test my GFI breaker given all my life has already thrown at me.

To be more precise on my rating I come up with the following:
-Beard Trimming/shaping=5 Stars
-Shaver=1 Star
-Charger=2 Minus
-Overall=3 Stars
I also ask that you remember we all have vastly different beards & faces. It may be a 5 star all around for you or NO stars. Awful hard to rate an item that's use it so subjective. Most important to me with this product is the in MY life, Norelco products have outlasted all the other brands by a huge margin. That alone is worth a lot to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Form over function, June 27, 2012
Gaz Rendar (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Philips Norelco QS6140/41 Styleshaver is an average shaver with smooth looks that get in the way of delivering a smooth shaving experience.

I've used a lot of electric shavers in my life, but I think this Norelco is probably the one that at least looks the coolest. It has a futuristic, slim and curved design though the body and is easy to hold. The problem with this razor rests mostly on the drawbacks of this cool design. For starters, the charging cradle is more annoying than useful. It folds out in a flimsy way and when it's holding the shaver the entire unit is rather wobbly. Another negative is that the shaver must be charged in the cradle. The AC adapter plugs into the back of the cradle, but it cannot directly plug into the shaver. Having to carry the extra cradle piece around during travel is a nuisance. The other drawback is the two-sided design of the shaver and trimmer. I typically keep a neatly trimmed circle goatee, but I prefer to shave my face first every morning, and then trim around the goatee area. Well, I used this same routine with the Norelco. Since I shaved first, and then turned the device upside-down, I made a big mess as the fine hair shavings fell out of the shaver foils while trimming my goatee. The shaver can be rinsed with tap water, but you cannot shave in the shower with the device. The fine hair trimmings get everywhere. Additionally, while trimming my goatee, the trimmer itself shoots facial hairs out like they were bullets from a Contra game spread gun.

The shaver itself is very average. Honestly, though, it performs as well as anything in the $40-80 shaver crowd. You'll have to spend over $100 to get a noticeably better shaver. I am, however, a big fan of the "dial-a-length" trimmer. This is by far the best part of the device and possibly the redeeming feature that can convince you to by it. The dial sets up the trimmer with 1-3 mm lengths in 0.5 mm increments, and then 4-10 mm in 1 mm increments. Cleaning the Norelco is a snap using the included mini-brush and a quick rinse under tap water.

Overall, the Norelco QS6140/41 is an appropriately priced shaver/styler that meets the appropriated priced expectations for facial hair maintenance. If you can live with the clunky charging and unnecessary mess, the Norelco's dial trimmer will not disappoint you. But if those facets bother you, and you don't care about the dial mechanism, then I might suggest checking out the braun cruzer line instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Shaver, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Philips Norelco QS6140 StyleRazor (Health and Beauty)
It's an OK shaver if you just want to quickly clean up. I'm not sure for those looking for perfection it would be all that impressive. It works for what I need it for, which is to look "less scruffy" rather than "totally scruffy."

2.0 out of 5 stars Functional Trimmer, Terrible Charger, November 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this product for a few months and the results were what could be expected of a trimmer of this sort. I only used the trimmer, so I can only comment on the trimmer functionality. The trimmer worked extremely well and the dial settings were a nice touch. The item feels nice in your hands and is a bit on the heavy side. The rubber grips on the outside are a nice touch as well. All in all, the trimmer is very nice and functional, but I have one major gripe with this product, and that is the charging functionality. There is no plug that goes into the razor, instead it is charged via a flimsy docking base that is very difficult to get to stay in one place. After three months of use, my razor no longer charged, and I honestly don't know if its because the razor stopped working or if the docking base connectors stopped functioning. Either way, I am very disappointed in this product and would not recommend it. I have a $20 Remington that works just as well and has a normal charging option. Philips definitely dropped the ball with this Razor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to properly shave neck area., July 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have tried multiple positions and pressures, but this shaver always fails to properly shave the jaw/neck area. I have another Philips shaver that has no issues with it (a rotary Norelco 7310). I also don't like the fact that I can't use it if the battery is dead, since this requires you to place it on a stand for charging. The neck area issue makes this (relatively expensive) shaver pretty much useless to me.

I have used the trimmer and it works fine for sideburns. However, after shaving with the QS6140 for about two weeks, I am switching back to the old rotary one I had. So at this point this shaver is nothing more than a glorified trimmer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum, June 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's start by making it clear my rating of this product is based on how I feel it performs compared to single purposed personal grooming devices. It's not an accident this product is referred to as a styler first and shaver last because like many multi-purposed devices, some functions are less impressive than others.

In comparison to a host of electronic shavers, it is not all that remarkable, meeting rudimentary needs but failing to provide the level of efficiency I have found with numerable competitive models and for my preferences, not nearly as effective as most double edge razors. Conversely, the trimming head end with precision styling blade works well. If researching viable options for beard and moustache trimming alone, this model would be a consideration. Additionally, while performance factors appear to be identical, there is a more expensive model QS6160 with a more convenient one hour charging cycle, storage pouch and a few other convenience features.

Shipped with a partial charge, it is recommended to fully charge before initial use. It's worth noting while I consider it excessively over -packaged, at least the clam shell case is easily opened without scissors or knife. The styler has a front indicator light that will light up continuously when shaver is fully charged (50 min of shaving/styling time). When the lithium ion battery dissipates to 10 min charge time remaining the indicator light will flash orange. Unfortunately a full charge for this model takes 4 hours Unlike some other models, the QS6140 does not feature a quick charge option. The power cord is attached to the charging stand rather than the styler therefore if this unit is allowed to completely drain you'll just have to wait.

Other features are:

-Water resistant heads. Cleanable by placing under running tap water
-Overload protection if shaving heads become blocked.
-Comfortable grip
-Charging Stand
-Two year warranty extendable to by 6 months if registered online (but good luck finding this model on Philips site if you are not a member of ClubPhilips, or in Europe).

The QS6140 foil shaver seems adequate for removal of stubble growth of not more than three days. So for those who shave on a daily basis it could be a viable alternative. The manufacturer also recommends yearly replacement of the foil head. When I received it, I attempted to shave a five day accumulation and ended up:

1) Applying way more pressure than was comfortable;
2) Going over the same facial areas five or six times;
3) Feeling irritation from the foil scrapping across the skin and finally;
4) Giving up, slapping on some shaving cream and pulling out the Gillette fusion.

The foil head screen holes are too small to efficiently cut coarser strands. The instruction booklet suggests strands longer than 10mm should be trimmed first however I have reservations whether any amount of trimming would improve performance of the foil end in that instance. As a shaver, there are many other alternatives available to attain a closer shave.

Subsequent daily use after the first attempt was better but it still took longer than I customarily take with a multi-blade or safety razor. Pulling is not a problem but I did have a major amount of chafing. I haven't had a great deal of success with any foil models I've tried as in each case they tended to pale in comparison to rotary head models for my needs.

In conjunction with the beard comb accessory, the trimming head can be set to 13 separate lengths from .5mm to 10mm by adjusting a wheel on the shaver body. The back end of trimming head has a precision detail trimmer for areas where greater concern must be devoted like, under nose, around mouth, sideburns. etc.

In summation, I consider the QS6140 a good styler but middling shaver. If one desires to compromise to limit the number of appliances lined up in the bathroom, it's a reasonable choice but I will continue to use another grooming set with a wider selection of attachments and either a manual razor or under some conditions, one of my assortment of rotary head shavers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Razor, January 7, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect personal groomer, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Philips Norelco QS6140 StyleRazor (Health and Beauty)
Great product, I use it to shave my body and personal grooming. It holds it's charge well and cleans up easily. All all around great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great razor!!, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Philips Norelco QS6140 StyleRazor (Health and Beauty)
This is an excellent razor. It is very handy. Shaves well. Is easy to clean and maintain. It charges quickly too.

5.0 out of 5 stars COOL! I and my roommate,we all love it!, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Philips Norelco QS6140 StyleRazor (Health and Beauty)
Yes, it is really cool and very easy to use. And my roommate want to buy one!Aha,My beard,sentence to death!

ARRAY(0x9bbeb8ac)