Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips SDV2940/27 UHF Digital and Analog Indoor/Outdoor TV Antenna
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 29, 2009
I tried SDV2750/27 first after read some recommendation. It worked. I did get a lot more channels. But, I didn't get the VHF channel as it advertised, and some channels are not stable. Then I tried this SDV2940/27. It is much, much better. I even get more channels. I was not a believer of amplified antenna before since I thought it aplify noise as well as signals. I had not expected it to works so well. It really surprised me. I live in down town San Jose, the the antenna find about 50 channels. 90% of them are very clear like using the cable TV. Many of them have clear 6-channel suround sound. It really worth it.

Amazon is great. I haven't got any hassel in returning the first SDV2750/27 antenna.
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2009
I compared the Philips sdv2940 antenna to a standard "rabbit ears" antenna (made by RCA purchased at Walmart, $10).

I live on the bottom of a hill on the wrong side from the TV towers. I have very sketchy TV signals which are very sensitive to the orientation of the antenna.

The reception with the this antenna was NOT noticably better than using rabbit ears. I tested the signal strength through a TV tuner card in my computer. Most of the channels had very similar signal strength. The rabbit ears picked up a couple channels that the Philips antenna didn't and vica versa. There was no clear winner between the two as far as reception goes. Also the Philips antenna has to use the included powered amplifier or you get no signal at all. That said there are some compelling reasons to use the Philips antenna.

Pros:
- compact design; not gangly like rabbit ears
- can be mounted on a variety of surfaces, such on the wall or in a window frame or a pole, using the included mounting hardware
- can be mounted outside

Cons:
- no better reception than rabbit ears
- costs 3x as much as rabbit ears
- Must use the included inline amplifier to get any signal which requires power. This can be installed right before your TV so it isn't too much of a hassle.

Summary:
Don't expect improved reception, but it is a much more compact, aesthetic and versatile way to get the same signal you can from rabbit ears.
88 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2009
I use this as an indoor antenna. My living room is not facing the TV broadcast signal directly. Without the amplifier, the signals are too weak. But with amplifier, the HD channels are as clear as you can get from the Cable.
on November 16, 2009
After reading several positive reviews, I purchased this antenna after recently deciding to add an additional B/R HDTV. I'm very glad I did, as the unit receives ALL my available local digital HD broadcast channels in both 720p and 1080i with ease. The unit is an attractive looking and small profile, barely noticeable mounted vertically on the rear corner of my home. Best of all, it really does the job!! I avg. between 82% and 98% signal strength on over 46 digital channels - all of which are being broadcast from about 35-40 miles away. This unit is pretty darn good deal, when you consider the larger, more costly and unattractive outdoor antennas I've seen AND that it performs just about as well, too. Many of those units are either indoor only or outdoor only models - giving you less installation flexibility, both initially or if you decide to move. The built-in amp really boosts the signal noticeably and it uses only 3 watts of power, so it won't run up your electric bill either. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the unit's performance and value offered for the money. The unit was ordered and shipped within a week with free budget shipping, so no complaints there either. Thanks Ama-Zoney!!
on June 21, 2010
I recently ditched cable due to financial circumstances, but wanted my elderly shut-in mother (for whom I am full-time caretaker) to at least be able to watch the local channels, as TV is one of the few pleasures she has left. I had previous experience with Philips antennas, all positive, and had some accumulated gift credit to use, so I had nothing to lose by trying this antenna.

I live 17 miles from the local TV transmitter farm. I just stuck this antenna on a 5' pole in our back yard, in a neighborhood where we are surrounded by metal (mobile homes), and the direct path to the transmitters is blocked by a neighbor's shed. I also reused the existing CATV coax, even though it is 20 years old and has seen better days. The cable run is also quite long, on the order of 40 feet or so.

In spite of all those potential pitfalls, this antenna brought in all the local UHF transmitters, with signal levels peaking from about 70 to 90. Surprisingly, in spite of it being cut for UHF and not VHF, it even picks up a pretty decent signal from our lone VHF station, an NBC affiliate transmitting on channel 11. I'm sure there will be times when there are some drop-outs, such as during heavy rain or strong "DX" interference, but for now, it works like a champ, hooked into a digital-to-analog converter feeding my mother's 25 year old set.

My only complaint, which kept this from being a 5-star review, is that the plastic mounting bracket looks awfully flimsy, and I'm nervous about how well it will hold up in a Florida windstorm. If you are in a high wind area, or mounting this thing at some considerable height in the air, I'd think twice unless you're handy enough to fabricate or improvise a stronger mount.

Overall, very good performance vs. size and price. If you're thinking of ditching cable or satellite (and those high monthly bills), this antenna is definitely worth a try.
on July 28, 2009
Installed this on a pole on the roof, and got more digital channels and sub channels than I knew there were (over 30) on my first attempt at positioning.

For comparison - indoors at the same home with the same tuner, another amplified antenna gave me only three channels.

I'd say it works.

Nit to pick - I wish it came with another rubber boot, rather than just the one on the included cable.
on November 23, 2010
I originally purchased the MANT940 version of this antenna at Wal-Mart and was very impressed with it; this SDV2940 is essentially identical and my understanding is that the only difference between the MANT940 and the SDV2940 is that Philips decreased the length of the warranty.

I have one antenna (the MANT940) connected to my ATSC TV capture card on my computer with the 20-foot cable (included with the MANT940 and the SDV2940). The cable runs out of the house (drilled a small hole and then sealed it with silicon weather-seal caulking) and the antenna was just sitting on the ground getting quite good reception until I recently discovered that if I jammed the antenna between the gutter on the corner of the house and the siding behind the gutter then I got even better reception. I'm getting signals with no drop-out from over 30 miles away.

I was so pleased with this antenna that when our indoor rabbit-ears-plus antenna broke recently (metal rabbit-ears bent off) I decided to get another one of these from Amazon. I went with the SDV2940 since it was the same as the MANT940 and a bit cheaper. I've hooked it up to the TV **indoors** instead of outdoors and it's pulling in the same signals without drop-out as the one outside, although I don't think the signal is quite as strong being inside because it was harder to find the perfect location for it. Still, now that we've positioned it, there's no moving it around like we had to move around the rabbit-ears!

This has been a fantastic antenna for our use in a small, relatively rural town where the closest stations are at least 10 miles away and some of the essential stations are 20 to 30 miles away.

I do recommend that you be prepared to play around for 15 minutes or so trying different positions for the antenna (don't forget to have your TV **re-scan** for the channels after **each** change in antenna position). It appears to me that it is the broad, flat side of the antenna that needs to be aimed in the direction the signal is coming from rather than either of the narrow pointed sides of the antenna.
on July 4, 2010
I'm going to preface this review by stating that I live in Manhattan, New York City. I mention this because most of the high-def TV signals broadcast by the local networks are originating from the top of the Empire State Building on 34th Street -- which means I am only four miles from the signal source. The performance of this antenna is obviously going to vary depending on the user's location (urban vs. rural) and distance from the signal source, so I want people reading this review to understand the context of my situation using this thing, since their particular circumstances will likely be different.

That having been said, I live on the 14th floor of an apartment building with an exposure to the Southeast. What I like about this antenna: A) it is small - about 14 inches high and 4 inches wide; and B) it looks much nicer than "rabbit ear" or square metal "grid" antennas, and is perfect for indoor use. I have it hooked up to a Samsung DTBH260F HDTV terrestrial receiver, which decodes the signal. All I need to do to get great reception is just place the antenna on top of my living room window sill (inside my apartment) when I want to watch TV. That's it -- no mounting on a pole or hanging it from a string. Reception is great -- I'm watching the 2010 FIFA World Cup on Univision (41) and the reception is excellent. When I'm finished watching, I just remove the antenna from the window sill, wrap the RF cable line around it and store it unseen in a corner. That's my experience using this antenna; hope this helps.
on January 22, 2010
I just set it behind our tv and it has worked perfectly. We picked up about 35 channels with this and we are very pleased with it.
on September 20, 2010
This antenna is suitable ONLY for outdoor mounting on a mast! I tried to use (it) indoors and couldn't find a suitable mounting method. Used a camera tripod, then a 1 1/4" wooden dowell but neither 'complemented' the decor of the room. Adjusting was a nightmare. Touching any part of the antenna will often cause a good picture on the TV but when you move away to watch TV the picture breaks up or the signal is lost entirely.

I finally gave up and purchased Phillips Model SDV 2210/27 at Walmart* for about $10 and it works GREAT! I had purchased RCA ANT1251 (amplified) and while a big improvement over the SDV2940/27 it also loses the signal every time a car passes in front of my house!