4.0 out of 5 stars Very good performer for not much money
Well, the first thing is, when you read reviews of these, or any other earbuds (like the over 1275 reviews for the Klipsch S4), you'll realize how subjective they all are: fit, comfort, sound, too much bass, no bass, etc. And I guess this is just as subjective as all the others. So, here goes:

SPECS:
One thing you won't find on Amazon are the actual specs...
Published on March 7, 2012 by Zzyzx

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but construction leaves a lot to be desired...
...I really put earbuds to the test. I wear them on the subway, bus, running, walking around town...the get tossed into backpacks and totes, crammed into cupholders, shoved into my pocket, etc. So I look for rugged construction in addition to quality sound.

Published on November 20, 2011 by Leopold Stotch

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good performer for not much money, March 7, 2012
Zzyzx (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips SHE9000/28 In-Ear Headphone (Black/Red) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

SPECS:
One thing you won't find on Amazon are the actual specs for these. I could only find them on the box. For those who care, they are: Frequency range 6Hz-23.5Khz; Sensitivity 102 dB; Impedance 16 Ohms; Max power 15mW. For me, the frequency range and sensitivity are most important. Stat-wise, these have a tremendous frequency range. 6Hz is very very low, meaning more bass. 23.5kHz is on the high end of high. Both are probably outside the range of normal human hearing. The takeaway is that they will not cut-off on either end of the spectrum. Sensitivity is I think pretty good, too. For me, anything over 100dB means they can get plenty loud enough. (For comparison sake, the Klipschs specs are 10Hz-19kHz and 110dB.) But specs are just numbers on paper. How do they sound? And feel?

FEEL:
This is the most subjective area of all. I can't tell you how they will feel in YOUR ears. In mine, after playing around with the three sizes of silicon tips, and the one pair of included Comply foam, I find that I can wear them for extended periods of time with little to no discomfort. I use the medium silicon or the Comply foam. Both provide the good seal necessary for good bass and outside noise reduction. The foam are a little firmer in the ear, but after a little while soften and mold nicely. Both types stay in well.

SOUND:
Now, anyone who says these are not as good as Apple buds, well, what can I say? Apple buds are notoriously bad. Take their advice with a grain of salt. Many compare them to much more expensive buds, which I think is also not fair. I have other ear buds (but not IN-ear) that I use(d): Sennheiser, SONY, etc. These are big step up from them. And I really used to like my cheap little SONY buds with great specs, but these are much better. When I am at home I always use my SONY MDR-V6 headphones [..] which are fantastic. No earbud is going to compare. Nor should it. But these have, after break-in, a very good, clean bass response and a clear "sparkly" high end. The mids are very smooth as well. If you want booming Dr. Dre Beats bass with these, you will be disappointed. They do not artificially boost the bass. If the bass ain't there, these won't add it. I guess it depends on the music you listen to. In my iPod I listen to jazz, rock (hard and soft), acoustic, voice, classical, pretty much everything except rap, hip-hop, house, etc. The bass is very clean, not boomy or bottomed-out. For instance, Ray Brown Two Bass Hits CD. Just two stand-up basses and a piano. You can hear the musicality in the bass lines as well as the fingering on the fret board. Same with Miles Davis Kind of Blue. Or Keb Mo. The Allman Brothers and other rock band's bass sounds just fine, too. The Eagles Greatest Hits sounds very very nice. Steely Dan shines. I would say that overall, the sound is very balanced. A lot depends on the quality of the original recording and the bit rate of your MP3.

BURN-IN:
This is a topic with a lot of different opinions. Some say it's real, some say it's not. Here's my take. I think that they have improved after listening to them for a few weeks, and letting them play for several hours on their own before that. Some might say it is because I have gotten used to them, which is true. But: I bought these in a 2 pack at the big warehouse store (a great deal btw). Today I opened up the second pair to give to my wife to use. So I did a little A/B comparison. And I think that after use, the broken-in pair are less tinny and have a smoother bass. Or maybe my brain is playing tricks on me. Again. Either way, I like the way they sound, the way they fit, and the price I paid. And if they break, I haven't broken the bank with them either.

So there is my more than 2 cents worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hear me out, June 3, 2012
So I bought a two pack of these at Costco for my mom and I, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality that I got for the price. I think they were around 24 dollars for two.
I usually don't like the in ear headphones, but I just tried these, and they are certainly more comfortable than most of the other ones I've tried.
My mom always tangles her earphones, so the fabric surrounding the wire was a big plus for her.
I do archery, and I left these in for like 3 hours and they were very comfortable, you hardly notice the feeling.
As for the sound, I liked the quality of the bass, but I was never that high maintenance about it as some others. I personally like it when you can actually feel the base, and these delivered just enough. The sound was clear and it successfully blocked out the noise around me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound and good physical quality, October 27, 2011
Aaron Silverman "DJ Kuul A" (Boynton Beach, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sound-wise, these aren't bad. They have a pretty flat response across the frequency spectrum, which I like (some prefer the "extra-crispy" mid-high sound from brands like Bose, but I don't). They don't have the separation or clarity of similarly priced over-ear cans or of good buds in a slightly higher price range, but they're definitely superior to cheap sub-$20 models.

What stands out about these are the little physical things:

* They include three different sizes of rubber tips *and* a pair of foam tips. I tried them all, and they were all fairly comfortable. I didn't notice a huge difference in sound between the rubber and foam tips. The foam tips are slightly more comfortable when worn for extended periods of time.

* The cord is wrapped in fabric, not plastic, which is awesome. My regular headphones (Sennheiser HD457s) sound great but the cheap plastic cord is full of annoying permanent kinks. No such issues with these guys.

* The cord is 1.2m. I'm a hair under 6 feet tall, and for anyone of similar or greater height, there is a *big* difference between a 1.2m cord and a 1m cord. For one thing, it's the difference between being able to run it to a source in your pocket and not. In my case, it also means being able to run it to the headphone jack on my office PC without sitting hunched over.

On the downside, no case or winder is included. Not a huge deal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but construction leaves a lot to be desired..., November 20, 2011
Leopold Stotch (Square Nut, Montana, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Sonically, these headphones are nice -- warm and balanced, and not trebly and rattley like earbuds tend to be. The cloth-wrapped cable is great, too, as it keeps things the wiring from getting nicked and pinched, which rubber doesn't always do. Also, the joint where the jack meets the cable has a cool, unobtrusive contour that I wish more headphones would adopt.

The problem is, when I tried to swap the earpiece with one of the many included options -- using normal force, nothing aggressive -- one of the earbud casings came apart. Just split in half at a seam. Not sure if this seam was badly glued, not glued, or a friction joint that wasn't fully engaged, but it exposed the innards of the ear bud and the wiring. An unacceptable situation, and, since this is the only pair of these I've owned, I can't tell if it is just my set or if this flaw affects every set...but I can't use these...

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, June 3, 2012
I upgraded my Apple iPod headphones to these ones. These are a much better improvement. The Philips SHE9000 is so much louder than the Apple iPod headphones. I have to put the volume on my laptop on 10 out of 100. With My Apple iPod headphones I had to put the volume on my laptop on 70 out of 100. The Philips SHE9000 has so much better sound quality. I do agree with the other reviews here on Amazon the Philips SHE9000 needs a break-in period to optimize the quality. In the beginning the Philips SHE9000 had too much muddy bass. Now after 2 weeks of using it the highs, lows, and mids are super clear. The Apple iPod headphones are so much inferior to these. The Philips SHE9000 has a very full sound range and blocks out external noise. When you walking down the street make sure you look both ways before you cross. You will not hear the cars. The Philips SHE9000 is super comfortable and very durable. I use the smallest size head buds. These are well worth the twenty dollars.

Box info:

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly above average sound quality, November 15, 2011
Personal Robot (Always here, sometimes there) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The title really says it all - sound quality is, of course, the most important factor, and these are just a bit above average, run-of-the-mill earbuds. There's a little better treble presence but also falsely boosted bass, which results in slightly flat sound. This, however, will appeal to many listeners looking for bass-heavy 'buds.

There is no doubt that they will not appeal to listeners looking for clarity and precision, and for that I highly recommend the incredibly clear Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones (Black) or Klipsch Image S4i Premium Noise-Isolating Headset with 3-Button Apple Control.

For the price of these, I would beg most to step up to higher quality brands. Cloth-covered wire aside (seriously, this isn't THAT big of a deal that it needs to be called out in so many reviews,) there is little else to recommend these above so many others in the same or slightly higher price range. And, really, for a bit more, you can get such an improvement in sound that I can't see why most people wouldn't opt for those. These rate a 3-star "ok" from me based on the fact that most people like average sound, not because I truly think they're "ok."

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a friend who couldn't find it anywhere, September 25, 2013
I got this for a friend who had gotten her original set from Costco and loved them. They stopped carrying them and she couldn't find them after hers broke (she's pretty hard on her earphones). Found them on Amazon at a super good price (when I got them, now it looks more expensive) so I got two pairs for her birthday and she was very grateful. I haven't used them, but she said these are her favorite because they are very comfortable. I don't know how they sound so I thought I should take a star off to be fair.

UPDATE: Okay, my friend just told me that she accidently put these through the washer and dryer and they still work perfectly. That's pretty impressive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled Bass, April 29, 2013
CONS:
1) Muddled Bass
2) OK but just ok mids and highs
3) Ok for listening to podcasts but I can't recommend for music or movies
4) BEWARE: Only the BOTTOM half is braided! The upper half is still rubber/plastic.

PROS:
1) Cheap
2) Variable earbud sizes included are comfortable for prolonged listening

Bottom Line: DON'T buy. Instead get the Philips SHE9550 earbuds instead (also reviewed) which is usually either similar or less in price but better performance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, February 26, 2013
John (California) - See all my reviews
While the Earbuds are able to give you a good noise isolation and fit perfectly, their sound quality lacks compared to other headphones in the same price range.

Pros:
- wrinkle free cord (this is actually amazing! I wish more companies would use it)
- good noise isolation

Con's:
- too much bass
- highs and mids very thin
- overall a very mixed performance

If you listen to a lot of acoustic, singer/songwriter or classical stuff these are NOT for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars out of three sets these are the best, May 4, 2013
I Had a pair of 50/50 skull candy that recentlystopped working after only 4 months. In store they were $50. last time i buy expensive ear buds. So Iwanted a cheap but decent set. Idont really use them much exccept for the gym so paying a lot didnt make sense. I ordered 3 sets. philips SHE6000, philiips SHE9000 and panasonic RPHJE120K.

I thought the RPH would sound the best based on the many reviews they had. But IMO they are the worst of the three. Just lacking any kind of punch

The SHE6000 werent to bad at all. they sounded like they had a little to much bass and not enough clairity though. This could be corrected with some eq settings on the phone.

The SHE9000 WOW!! THese sound amazing. I would def recommend these to any one looking for a pair of good ear buds that wont break the bank. Iwas honestly a little suprised at how well they sounded after hearing the average to poor quality of the other two. I even went back and listened to the others several times just to be fair. and I have to say this model takes it hands down.