4.0 out of 5 stars Good value
I bought these earbuds to help combat some of the sounds that were bothering me at work. I'm a cubicle dweller and there are some noisy folks in my neighborhood. I wanted to block out voices, phones ringing, photocopier noise, etc.

Published on March 21, 2007 by Heather Sullivan

I got desparate just before taking a long flight, and purchased these for about $30. They did a good job of cancelling background noise on the plane, and for that purpose, I would highly recommend them. They even come with an adapter for jacks that require two plugs instead of one (like US Airways).

Overall, they sound pretty good. As with most earbuds, to get...
Published on October 26, 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for travelling, but not for walking, jogging, or biking., October 26, 2006
This review is from: Philips SHN2500/37 Noise-Canceling Earbuds (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Overall, they sound pretty good. As with most earbuds, to get good bass, you need to make sure they are snug inside your ear.

When you turn on Noise cancelling, the volume increases, and this is typical because Noise Cancelling works by amplifying the sound and "subtracting" the outside noise that is being picked up. With a standard AA battery, you can get several hours of Noise Cancelling. When the battery begins to die, the volume actually drops, and it is much better to just turn Noise Cancelling off.

The earbuds fit well (there are 3 sizes included) and help to block a lot of external noise, so even without Noise Cancelling turned on you can block out of lot of unwanted noise.

And here is where Philips went wrong...They made the cable nearly 4' long (1.2 Meters), but in the middle, there is the bulky Noise Cancelling switch that holds the AAA battery. Not a problem when you are sitting (eg. on and airplane, or at work) because you can just set it down. But for example, when you are walking, it hardly reaches your pants pocket, so you can't stand up straight, or it will pull the buds out of your ears. Leaving it hanging will do the same thing. In fact, this has been such an annoyance to me, that I never use these anytime I'm being active. And it's a shame, because they do a good job of cancelling lawnmower noise.

If you need a more general purpose solution and can spend a little more, I would suggest buying a set of Noise Isolation phones, which do not even require a battery. They are designed to completely block all external noises from getting into your ear canal.

However, if you plan to use them only for travelling, they are decent for the price. I have travelled with these for several months, and they still function well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, March 21, 2007
Heather Sullivan (Somerville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews

These earbuds work pretty well and are reasonably priced. I find them comfortable to wear and they even help block some sounds without the noise canceling turned on. The rubber cups work like earplugs, so I can listen to my music at a lower volume and yet not be bothered by external noise.

I do hear a little "white noise" along with the music when the noise canceling is switched on, but it doesn't bother me. With noise canceling turned on I think the music sounds better, the volume is boosted a little but not super-loud.

I've also tried using these in the car and they block out traffic sounds, open windows, etc. pretty well.

I am happy with this purchase. If I'd had very high expectations I would have bought one of the top-of-the-line, super-expensive sets of noise canceling headphones. I just wanted something comfortable, effective and inexpensive, and these earbuds delivered that nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective NR, good sound, low price., November 25, 2006
M. Flavin (Philly suburbs PA) - See all my reviews
It appears most of the reviewers who found the noise reduction ineffective were testing it out in normal listening environments such as a home or office. The NR will not be noticable for this use, as it primarily works on the low frequencies. All you will hear when activating the electronics is a slight increase in volume & associated hiss. I also thought the NR wasnt working, so I took my mp3 player to a laundromat and put them to a test. The NR worked very well in reducing the low frequency washer & dryer rumble. The 70% figure seems about right, but only on the lows. I am a professional musician & recording engineer, and was very impressed by these phones. 5 stars, as they are a fraction of the cost of similar Bose units.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great small headphone set, June 29, 2006
After sampling and rejecting several modestly-priced headphones, I've finally found some that are even better than the quite-good ones that came with my Creative Zen Touch MP3 player. The first moments were unimpressive, but I had not pushed these earbuds in snugly. Once that was done and I flicked on the battery-powered sound enhancement, I smiled. Crisp, clear highs, and sufficient lows, combined to delight my auditory nerves.

The need to replace one AAA battery and to manage the in-line noise-cancelling box (which fits nicely in one's shirt pocket) may bother some, but for price, compactness, and performance of these headphones, these two things are only slight detractions. I recommend them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noise reduction marginal at best, August 19, 2006
These phones do block noise fairly well but it's mostly because the rubber buds seal the ear and not because of the active noise reduction circuitry. I did A/B comparisons using a test tone generator at several frequencies, switching the active reduction on and off. There is some noise reduction at low-mid frequencies but it's quite marginal -- by ear, probably about 3 to (at most) 6 dB. The phones also add a pink-noise "hiss" that can be mistaken for noise reduction. These phones are not really bad; just don't expect too much in the way of noise reduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price and Intended Purpose, March 7, 2007
John A. Kantor (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these for use in my Jeep. They do a terrific (and very noticeable) job eliminating wind noise from my soft top (and my usually open windows).

They also have terrific sound compared to regular headphones in this price range. I hate hiss, but the tiny amount they add is unnoticeable when the are being used for their intended purpose. (In a quiet environment, I go back to my Philips Surround Sound earbuds.)

If you look at the specs for noise cancelling headphones, you'll see that the active cancellation handles low frequencies (50-1500Hz). Higher frequencies are eliminated primarily by the earphone/headset physical design itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound, but noise canceling feature disappoints, July 28, 2007
I bought these noise canceling headphones to use when flying. I was hoping to be able to listen to my music without having to turn it up so loud it could drown out the jet engine noise on its own (I'd like to save my hearing for the future). So, I tried them out on a few flights, and I have mixed feelings about how they performed.

What I liked:
-I think these headphones sound decent. I'm no music snob, but I like good sounding music, and these headphones fit the bill.
-The way the earbuds are designed allow for them to fig snugly in my ear (there are three sizes of inserts that come in the package for different sized ears). The snug fit and the rubber material helps block out exterior sounds even without turning on the "noise canceling" switch. But this is more of a "noise reducing" method than "noise canceling".

What I didn't like:
-The noise canceling switch that holds the battery can be a little annoying hanging off of the headphone cord like it does. Not a big deal for me though.
-The noise canceling technology these headphones use did not impress me. When you switch on the "noise canceling", the volume of music increases a decent amount, and you also get a little hiss in the background. Granted, when you are in a truly noisy environment, you don't really notice the hiss much. It was mainly the volume boost and lack of real "noise canceling" that disappointed me. Yes, I couldn't hear background noises as well anymore, but it seemed more like the reason for this was that the music was louder. I couldn't help but think, "I could do that on my own by just turning up the volume on my mp3 player." Just to see, I switched back and forth numerous times to compare the "on" and "off" of noise canceling (while adjusting my mp3 volume to try to take out the variable of the music getting louder), and I honestly couldn't tell a big difference. I won't say there was no difference, because it was a little different. I'm not sure it was an improvement though, just different. For instance, it would change the pitch of the jet engine background noise, but I don't know that I would actually say it was decreased. Plus, every time I turned on the noise canceling, I felt an extra "pressure" of sorts on my eardrums. I don't know what to attribute it to, but that was what I experienced.

So, I guess the bottom line is, I will still use these headphones because they do block some external noises due to their earbud design. I just don't know that I will bother with the "noise canceling" switch anymore. If I could redesign these myself, I would take out the noise canceling feature, get rid of the switch/battery compartment from the cord, and leave the rest as is - since I do like the sound quality and the earbud fit (which cuts out external noises a little).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price., March 20, 2008
Why the low price?
I highly recommend for this price.

Problems you may solve if you pay more for another product:

No auto off, you can easily forget to slide switch off and run down the battery. However, the battery lasts a long time.

Better noise reduction. I'd say the noise reduction is subtle but important -- takes the edge off on plane flights. It is the difference between before and after your ears pop, only in reverse.

Better fidelity. But, I mainly listen to podcasts.

To get that, pay more. But these work as advertised.

It is easy to loose the ear pads, they give you different sizes so hang on to the near fits for when you loose the ones that fit best.

Plus's:

The supplied airplane plug-in gadget is really great. I flew 12 hours to Asia and watching movies with these was great.

It hangs around your neck, with the pod like a locket, That gives a tall guy enough cord to listen with the iPod in your pants pocket and keeps some cord sanity. You can unplug your ears and the ear pieces just hang a short distance from your neck. Very nice setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars based on low cost, November 19, 2006
I wanted a low cost, comfortable, small, and lightweight set of noise canceling headphones. These do the job. I was most worried about them not being comfortable, but the kit came with 3 sizes of "caps" for the ear buds, so they fit comfortably. They certainly don't do the same job as a $90 pair of over the ear headphones I had previously borrowed, but they are far more comfortable. As a comparision, with regular earbuds I had been listening to music in flight at a volume setting of about 22-24. With these and the noise canceling on, my in flight volume setting is about 5-7, and they are much more comfortable. Definitely worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, bad design, October 7, 2008
These headphones deliver surprisingly good sound for the price, and the noise cancelling works well. (There's the slight hiss when the noise cancelling is active, but this occurs with all noise cancelling headphones to one degree or another.) Long battery life, too.

But the cables are way too short. At 6'+, I can't walk with these because the awkward electronics/battery enclosure doesn't quite reach my pockets. And, inexplicably, the weight of the thin earbud cables is enough to drag the earbuds down against your ears, probably aggravated by the weight of the electronics enclosure. An irritating sensation; feels like they're about to fall out.

If you plan to sit and listen, or if you're very short, these will work great. Otherwise, the absence of a longer cable and a little clip to keep the cables in place on your shirt make these otherwise good headphones pretty useless.

Philips SHN2500/37 Noise-Canceling Earbuds (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $11.99