1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget this product if you are looking for streaming video, August 8, 2005
This review is from: Philips Streamium SL300i WiFi-Enabled Multimedia Receiver for Home and Internet Entertainment (Electronics)
This product is a great idea, but this unit is woefully inadequate for streaming video needs.

It can play low quality videos, but forget about it supporting anything close to DVD (or even VHS) quality.

Basically, the processor on the device can't keep up. If you try it, you'll get a lot of advice about how the problems are because of your network speed. But believe me, I've tried it on a 100Mbps network, and a PC has no problem playing high quality videos across the network, while the Streamium coughs and sputters ... or simply says "Track not playable" (even though you are using codecs that are listed as supported by Phillips). Check out [...] and you'll find that I'm not the only one with these problems.

I give it one star, because it can display pictures and play music. So it is not a totally useless product. But even so, the user interface is rather complex for those functions. (The aging Linksys WMA11B has many limitations, but has a much simpler user interface for these functions.)

If you have a VCD/SVCD collection, then it *might* work for you, as those are lower quality videos. But I don't have such a collection, and I can tell you that it does not work with higher quality DivX/XVid files, and it does not handle DVD quality MPEG2.

I'll be using a PC with a TV hookup instead.