on August 2, 2010
Before I begin my review I'd like to list my devices that this remote control operates.

1. Insignia 50" plasma tv
2. Insignia Blu-Ray player (NS-WBRDVD)
3. Sony STR-DN1000 A/V reciever
4. Xbox 360 ( remote code is "1611")
5. HP laptop(very basic controls)

After purchasing the 2 Insignia products I was in remote control hell! Nothing seemed to be compatible with their devices. I was literally fumbling between 3 controllers, a game controller, and sometimes a mouse I before I found this little gem.
I contacted Insignia about a remote they recommend to control their devices I was told that I would have to buy a logitech harmony..........Kinda defeated the purpose of buying a cheaper brand to begin with right?

I succumbed to the idea of buying an expensive remote decided I'd swing by wally-world since they carried a $40 logitech remote. Right next to the harmony I saw this Philips. Out of curiosity I compared the buttons between this one and the logitech and everything was identical. The only difference was that the harmony could control 4 devices and the philips could control 7. Obviously logitech has an extraordinary device library to program their remotes but after examining the package I quickly learned that this was a programmable remote. I abandoned my reservations and decided to try this out.

Lucky me!

TV, Xbox, and receiver were all programed successfully on the first attempt! The only thing that I had to program into the remote was the blu-ray player. I programed all the blu-ray buttons, and a few of the buttons from my sony receiver that were missing, in under 5 minutes. I also established the home theater receiver as the primary audio source within that time frame. The manual was easy to read and programing the controls into the remote was the easiest thing.

I bought this thing for about $17 with tax and it did everything a hundred dollar remote promises that only IT can do. BTW after looking through the device list, this Philips remote can also control digital picture frames and household switches! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have a cable box or satellite but the list of brands it controls was extensive.

My only complaints are that the back light only lights up a few of the buttons and the direction/enter buttons make "click" noises.

I have to tip my hat to the folks at philips. You guys made a beautiful remote that packs knock out punching power and costs less than the replacement battery for a high end remote!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2010
I got this for $18 at Sears, and am so glad I did not spend a lots more on a Logitech Harmony... This Philips remote is awesome. It works with all my devices, which include:
1. Samsung 52" LCD
2. Magnavix DVD-Recorder with HDD
3. XBox 360 (yeah!)
4. Philips HTS8100 Soundbar

Note: To get it to work with the HTS8100 (which is a sound system + DVD player), use the DVD mode for the DVD player, and use Aux mode for all others, i.e. TV input, MP3 input, etc.) Hope this helps someone.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
This remote does everything I need. I had a HDTV remote that was going out on me, and even in it's death throes, this Philips remote was able to "learn" commands from it that I would have lost forever otherwise. It also had enough flexibility to also learn commands from my Cable remote so that I don't have to use my cable remote any longer (which is awesome).

It looks great, and feels great too. Looks very very nice and has a nice rubber feel to it.

The ONLY complaint that I have is about the directional buttons at the top. They "click" when you push them down, so when you are searching through the guide or your TV's menu you hear "click click click click click click click".

Other than that, this is a HIGHLY recommended solution for those of you in a predicament similar to mine!
on February 19, 2011
Verified Purchase
Yes it works as described. But when I am watching TV I channel surf on cable or spend time looking through my movie options. This requires alot of clicking and when the buttons are stiff it is not relaxing. The NEW remotes that came with my TV, Roku, etc. all have remotes with noticibly less stiff buttons. Also the four way pad is not elevated enough and when you push on it the edges of the plastic dig into your finger a bit, not terrible, but annoying enough to make me think of buying something else.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2012
I just picked this up from Walmart today hoping that it would work with my TV and Roku. Works brilliantly with both! It did require tinkering in "learning mode" to get it work with the Roku, but, like I said, works brilliantly now.
on November 9, 2011
I purchased it for control of all devices, so sick of multiple remote controls.

Controls my 42inch HDTV (Phillips) so it actually controlled it fresh out of the box without programming.
Xbox 360, it took some time to get it programmed right, but from what I see, I could only get it to control my Xbox 360 in DVD mode, wouldn't work in AUX, SAT or DVR.
(3925 Remote code for 360)
Motorola cable box.
Panasonic Home Theater 5.1.

So it controls everything and doesn't look CHEAP like my remote that came with my tv.
on March 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
After reading some of the reviews, I thought I was getting a good deal. Unfortunately, this remote did not sync with half of my equipment even though there were codes for all of them. After spending what felt like 2 hours entering codes and having the remote "learn" certain functions from the remotes it would not automatically sync with, the remote "froze"-the red light to set functions would not shut off. This remote is really finicky and would not learn all operations for certain devices regardless how much time I spent trying to sync and teach. I now have some functions plugged in- I eliminated the use of the surround sound remote and entered in basic functions for cable, but my xbox is still touch and go. If you have some time on your hands and you don't mind re-entering codes and repetitively entering in functions in attempts to get your remote to learn...then this is the remote for you. I just don't think it should be so difficult.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
My problem was that I have acquired too many remotes!! I got one for the TV, for the DVR, for the surround sound, and for the blu ray player. I found myself requiring up to 3 remotes at a time, to turn a movie on my xbox360 and turn the surround on. I just got plain sick and tired of juggling different remotes for my different devices. All I wanted was a universal remote that could program to multiple devices, and operate all the devices as properly as the original remotes did. I went with Philips since most of my devices are Philips (TV, surround, Blu ray) and figured since they were the same brand the compatibility might be a little better. I was wrong, the compatiblity was great, and I could see the remote working just as well with just about any brand manufactured after 1990. By just programing in the codes I got my devices to work about 90% of the way should operate with their factory remotes. There are enough buttons on the remote that you can program any function to any key you desire, and hence, you can set up the layout of the remote to work how you choose via the learn feature. I can use my cable box/DVR just the same way i use it on the cable remote itself; i.e. can page through the guide, pause, rewind, and record live tv, and bring up my guides, info, menus, and OD features the same way I would on my original remote. The great thing about the learn feature, is that as long as you have the original factory remote, you can 'learn' any functions that it performs on your universal remote, tweaking which keys do what to your personal liking. i.e. I changed the volume on my cable box setting to control the volume on the tv rather than that on the cable box; I can open my disc trays from my blue ray via the remote. Every feature that my original remotes performed, my Philips universal remote does as well, for up to 7 devices, I only have 5 programed tho. The remote works remarkably well, completely customizable, I spent only a few minutes tweaking mine, and operates everything you would expect. What I didn't expect was that there is a media center code, and since my XBox360 runs microsoft media center I figured I would enter the code and see how far I got. Unexpectidly I can operate my Xbox flawlessly with my Universal remote!! YEAH!! I can turn the system on, go to netflix, and run a movie, pause rewind, all that junk, all from my TV remote!! How Kool!! Can pretty much do everything on my xbox with the universal remote except for playing a game, and bringing up the xbox guide (which I don't think your remote can 'learn' functions from an xbox 360 controller since the controller doesn't have a LED output, only an input on the xbox itself) but that is a minor gripe considering the remote is not made for an xbox but works amazingly well with one. The feel of the remote is real good, fits well in hand and the buttons are arranged in a nice manner to access them all easily and they seem to be where you would expect them to be. A few of the buttons have a weird plastic feeling to them, which is why it lost a star, but its not real bad, just different from what I'm used to and I'm getting used to it quickly already. My only real complaint is that I would like all the buttons to be LED backlit, but its a minor complaint. I would recommend this remote to anyone looking to get rid of a few remotes, or if you've lost one, it would be a good replacement. For $20 I'm real happy with my purchase, doesn't seem as cheap and worthless as some universal remotes I've dealt with in the past, and its not a horribly complicated overexpensive one like the $180 Logitech; and this remote does everything I require and then some, and it does it all very very well.
on December 26, 2010
We been using Universal Remote since Past couple of Years but nothing comes
Any closer to this Particular Universal Remote.

This Particular Remote comes with 6 in 1 Which means you can Connect 6 Different
Components and operate all of them with this Sweet Universal Remote
Amazing Function of these Remotes are: You can literally make it Learn to operate Different Components instead of wasting Time inserting Different Codes.

With this Remote you can even Control your Sound Bar System
Which is rare as Most of the Expensive Universal Remotes like Logitech Harmony Starting Price: $100.00 does Not Work/Compatible with Sound Bar System
Plus Logitech Harmony Remote Controllers Does not have privilege functions of "Learning Keys"
What is Learning Keys?
The integrated learning keys allow you to copy and store any functionality from your original remote,
Simply by pointing and beaming the SRU5107 at the original remote.
The sleek design of the SRU5107 will compliment all the devices of your home entertainment center.

List of Device Connected/Operated via Philips SRU5107:

1. SONY Television KDS-55A200 SXRD HDTV 55" (5 Years Old)
2. SONY Sound Bar System: HT-CT350
3. SONY Play Station 3 - 1st Generation.
4. Nintendo Wii
5. Comcast Set -Top Box HDTV Motorola DCH3200

I would really recommend this Particular Universal Remote for anyone who is in the market to buy one. 5 Stars all the way!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2009
Verified Purchase
Anyone with an Element TV can attest to the fact that it's hard to find a universal remote that works with any or most of the features of the original TV remote. This remote has one code for Element which worked immediately. I did have to "learn" some of the features from the original TV remote such as closed captioning and the arrow buttons, but once I did this quick learning process everything worked flawlessly. Also worked with the first code I tried on my DirecTV DVR. The button layout is pretty good and completely customizable by learning new commands for buttons. For $16.99 you can't beat this remote.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations