5.0 out of 5 stars It's cheap but it works as advertised!
Published 23 months ago by Roberto K. Cho

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough for the money
Published on January 4, 2012 by J. Kimray

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough for the money, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Philips SWS2325W/17 Manual High Definition Audio/Video Selector (Silver) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this item about two years ago and have only recently had problems out of it. During most of that time, I've had a standard def. television and the picture quality seemed perfect. Now that I've joined the rest of the world in HD land, I'm noticing that it doesn't flawless carry the signal. I had my Wii plugged into one of the component ports and was getting a bit of static. So, I unplugged the Wii from the box and plugged it directly into my TV and the picture was much more clear.

The buttons are becoming an issue, as well. Out of the blue, one of the switches has just stopped working. $20 for a two year run isn't terrible, I guess. But longevity in electronics is everything.

If you're looking for something cheap, this is really not a bad way to go. But if you have an eye for detail, I don't recommend it. I'm looking to replace mine and I can say with certainty that I won't be buying this one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's cheap but it works as advertised!, September 9, 2012
I bought this because I needed to hook up an old DVD player and my Wii using component cables. It works as advertised and I really do not see any degradation in image quality. It's very easy to set up. I was a bit surprised at how big it was though. But that can be a good thing as well, the size makes it stable and the buttons are big enough so that it is easy to push down and has a satisfying click. Since it's mostly for the Wii, I won't be switching to the DVD much, maybe only a few times a week at most, so it should last awhile...at least until I upgrade to a blu-ray DVD player with HDMI output.

5.0 out of 5 stars This switch works well for the price, just be sure you are using correctly, March 23, 2013
This switch does in fact work well for composite and component devices- be sure your TV inputs are being used correctly. For example, my TV has one set of inputs for component and composite (where the two share the Red/white/yellow ports, the yellow being interchangeable with the green) and will not display composite feeds correctly if you have selected "Component" for your input- I had to be sure "A/V" selected for composite devices. I previously did not do this, and the composite devices were being shown in black and white.

TL;DR- make sure you've got your TV settings correct if you're gonna use mixed devices on this switch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Composite Switcher, February 22, 2013
I purchased a new 32" flat screen HD TV to replace my old 27" Sony Wega CRT TV. I was attempting to connect all of my old components to the new TV (DVD player, Nintendo Wii and DISH Joey receiver) and discovered that there is only one component connection in the back of my new TV. My DVD player was connected to my old TV with an s-video cable and the new TV doesn't have that connection. So, I purchased this product to connect the Wii and the DVD player using the one component connection. The majority of the time, it's left on the Wii switch as my kids play that more than movies get watched. It's a bit bigger than I'd like (I'd rather see a two-switcher instead of this four-switcher) so I have it hidden behind the TV. It's a bit of a pain reaching through to switch over to the DVD player but that's my fault, not the product's fault.

Pros:
Easy to hook up (accepts composite on switch 1; component or s-video on all others)
It gives a solid 'click' when switching inputs

Cons:
Size (I knew purchasing this it was quite large thus why I'd like to see a two-switcher version)

Overall, it's a solid little box and fit my needs well. I know there's a debate between s-video and component and I chose to go with component over s-video for my DVD player. I'd upgrade to a blu-ray but my DVD player also acts as a receiver for audio so I don't want to lose that just yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, April 3, 2013
For those of us that still have older TV sets that have only have a singe input method option this works great Allows you to connect a DVD player or other items (up to three additional). What's most important is the signal and audio pass through are more than very good...flawless. Very easy to set up. You have to supply the cables (will need three total for two inputs and one additional for each additional hookup).

I have three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for non-hdmi tv, December 28, 2012
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Projection tv. Still has great picture. But only shows 1080i on one component input. With this switch i was able to have HD cable, and my xbox and wii all hooked up into one. Works perfect not a hiccup.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work with composite only (red/white/yellow), February 11, 2013
MW (Montgomery, AL) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item because I wanted to take advantage of the AV and component video of my television and my DVD player. However, when I tried to connect my DVD player with just the red, white, and yellow plugs to the INPUT 1 section, it did not work! I have my cable box going to the INPUT 2 section. I also tried to connect it to the other INPUTs but still to no avail. I just waited until I bought another component cable (red, blue, green) to try it again with. This time, I connected the five plugs (red, white, red, blue, green) from my DVD player to the INPUT 3 section, and it worked! I'm not sure what the flaw is, but it only worked for me using all five component AV plugs instead of only the three standard composite AV ones. I couldn't get anything to work out of the INPUT 1 section (composite AV). I'm guessing you can't use the box for both types of connections. Either get all composite cables or all component cables, no mix-n-matching.

3.0 out of 5 stars When it works properly (which is most of the time) it looks great. I'm running my original Xbox, July 16, 2014
The unit I got appears to be used even though it was listed as new. Sometimes (very rarely) not all the contacts are properly made when I select an input and I have to toggle back and forth between something else and what I want to get proper picture and audio.

When it works properly (which is most of the time) it looks great. I'm running my original Xbox, PS2 and Wii via component cables through this thing and they all come out crisp and clear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for composite, December 16, 2012
Do not buy this if one of your devices is composite. It will not play it. Works like a champ on component.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds HD inputs to old TVs that have limited HD input, July 2, 2014
Works great. The buttons give a satisfying click when pressed. We use this to hook up our large Mitsubishi TV to the HD cable box and the Xbox. Our TV is from 2003. It has just one HD input. We could hook up the Xbox with standard definition but then the split screen wouldn't work. We hooked up this Philips box to the TV, and routed the cable box and the Xbox to the Philips. We can then switch between cable and xBox using the Philips without having to mess with the TV input. And we are now able to have two HD devices hooked up to our old TV. Will not add HD to a TV that has no HD capability.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›