Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Rob Thomas Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on August 28, 2004
I've been using the Elite 7300 for about a week now. I really do enjoy it - my teeth feel like I've just been to the dentist. I have fillings on the front of my teeth, and food frequently gets caught on the rough surfaces. Not anymore! The only real drawback I've found is brushing my tongue - brushing it with the toothbrush on sprays toothpaste all over the bathroom, and brushing it with the toothbrush off (like an old fashioned manual toothbrush) is annoying because the toothbrush head is very small. LOVE the 2 minute timer, and I just can't say enough that I LOVE how my teeth feel.

I had a tough time deciding on the different Elite lines, because I didn't find any helpful info on the difference between the models. So I'm going to tell you.

The 7800 allows you to change the pre-programmed 2 minute brushing time to 2 1/2 minutes. It also comes with a "luxury brush holder" - a wall mount kit. Also has a dual speed control and different charger indicator.

The 7500 comes with the stuff above, except not the timer change option.

The 7300 does not come with any of that, and works just fine. No need to spend the extra cash - it's fine just the way it is.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2003
As an owner of an "original" Sonicare (on my second actually) I am writing this review more from the perspective of whether the Elite is worth $[$$]+ as an "upgrade".
First, from an aesthetic and ergonomic point on view the Elite is a big step forward. The handle is lighter and has a tapered shape with a rubber grip. More importantly the brush head is smaller and is more of a diamond shape rather than the "original" rectangle. The brush head "neck" is also angled to provide easier access to the back teeth and "flexes" both horizontally and vertically.
That being said, the Elite just does not seem as "powerful" as the original. This is based not only on my subjective opinion of the "feel" while brushing but also on an objective "look" at the brush head while powered on. Whereas the original has bristles that travel through a 90 degree arc, the Elite bristles barely travel at all. Granted, this may be in part due to the smaller/shorter bristles. Sonicare claims that the Elite is actually better from a functional point of view and I cannot say otherwise, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. (yes, i tested with the "beginner mode" turned off)
Also, after six weeks of usage, one of the magnets on the Elite brush head appears to have rusted significantly. This was never a problem with the "original" Sonicare brush heads. Whether this affects performance or not I cannot say. As the brush head enters its third, fourth or fifth month of service I can only assume that the changes for decreased performance would increase. Also, black "moldy" appearing deposits accumulate in the handle "well" which, also, never occured with the "original". My guess here is that water is allowed to accumulate inside the brush head and handle well because of the flexible rubber housing (between the brush head "nut" and "neck") allows for the 360 degree "flex" I mentioned earlier-this housing is not sealed. When I inquired, Sonicare denied(not having seen the unit) that what I was seeing was rust, and referred me to the cleaning instructions. Take that for what it is worth...
I have found one interesting thing... While the "original" brush head will not fit the Elite handle, the Elite brush head WILL fit the "original" handle. I detect no difference in the brushing experience using that combination.
My recommendations therefore are:
1) if you have never had a Sonicare then by all means buy the "Elite"... (but be wary of the rusting problem)
2) if you currently have an "original" that is on its last legs then buy an Elite (again be wary of the rust)
...
on August 26, 2006
This model has all the features of the Elite 9500 (2 brush heads, 2 cleaning modes, programmable quadpacer, and a guage to indicate about how much charge is remaining in the battery), but it's $12 cheaper from Amazon!

All the "programmable quadpacer" feature amounts to is the ability to leave it on for an extra (i.e., a fifth) 30-second interval, or the ability to turn the timer off so that it's just on/off. I regard most of the features as functional ornamentation ("bells and whistles"), but the Elite 9800 also happens to be a dependable, super-lightweight model that will run a good three weeks on a charge with only one person using it. I went on a three-week trip and didn't bother to pack my charger, and it had charge to spare when I got back. NOTE: I always allow the NiCd battery run all the way down (to exhaustion) before charging it, and that enhances both the charge and battery life. (NiCd's only have so many charge cycles.)

If this is your first electric, you might like the way it comes out of the box programmed to gradually ramp-up the power over the first fourteen brushings.

What's the difference between the 9800 and the 9500? The models appear identical. The only difference I found is that one comes in a box that says 9800, the other says 9500. :-)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had an old Sonicare for almost 5 years and the battery ... out on me, so I decided to get a new one. I didn't know about the Elite until I went to buy it. I've had it for almost a week and it is defintely better than my old one.
My old Sonicare did not have the Quad Pacer feature which this does and I like it a lot. I also really like the new thin, angled brush head and I believe the claims that the Elite is 20% more effective than older models. My teeth almost feel like I just had them polished after brushing. If you are looking to replace your old one or want to get an powered toothbrush I would recommend.
on October 9, 2003
I bought an Elite 7500 model because that's what the store had, but I don't think there were many differences in the 7300 and the 7500. I wish I'd had this toothbrush a year or more ago. Maybe I wouldn't have the degree of gum disease I do now. I bought my first and only Sonicare model after very high recommendations by my periodontist. After being examined by her the first time in June, I went back after having used the Sonicare consistently in September. The difference in the two exam's results was phenomenal! The dentist couldn't stop remarking over it! I had pockets of some degree or another around 80% of my teeth; on the 2nd visit, this had been reduced to about 10%, it was that effective on my teeth AND gums. I love the "massage" feeling while I'm brushing too. There's been absolutely no mechanical problems with any part of it, or any "cosmetic" flaws, after 4 months of use, still looks brand new! I now have TWO dentists raving about the condition of my teeth! (And my primary dentist is NOT known for his raving.)
on March 16, 2008
I have owned my Elite model for about 6 months now. Previous to that, I was the owner of the "original" Sonicare toothbrush for about 7 years, which used the standard heads rather than the angled "elite" brush heads. I replaced it only because the non-user-replaceable battery finally gave up the ghost.

In general, all the sonicare models do an outstanding job of keeping teeth cleaned, if used properly. I like the sonic action better than rotary or slower-speed mechanical motion. The sonicare keeps my teeth feeling polished. The timer also forces me to brush for a full 2 minutes - 30 seconds for each quadrant of my mouth.

As such, I am not going to spend a lot of time commenting on the effectiveness of the sonicare approach in general (which I think is excellent) or in comparing it to other brands. Instead, I'm going to focus here strictly on comparing the new Elite model to the previous model which used so-called "standard" sonicare brush heads rather than "elite" brush heads.

First, let's talk about the relatively few things I like about the new model:

* battery indicator - shows when charging (which old one had) and shows how much charge remains (which old one did not have)

* styling - mine is blue/white and looks attractive with its rubberized side grips. However, I have a sneaking suspicion the rubber is going to fade and look old more quickly than my older model which was entirely white plastic except for a single small on/off button.

* charger - the new charger has open sides, unlike the old model which was a sealed "well" that would trap water and give rise to gunk build up. The new design seems like it will stay cleaner and inhibit model or mildew...at least on the charger base itself

* angled brush head - the angle of the "elite" design makes it easier to clean behind your teeth and is used even in most non-electric toothbrushes today.

Unfortuately, that is about it in terms of improvements. The big black mark (and I do mean black literally) is that there is a significant problem with mold build-up on this design.

* BLACK MOLD - On my old model, I never had a mold problem - ever. Also, the mold problem is not a factor of my environment. I live in Nevada. Humidity is the least of our worries and my house runs conistently drier than normal, particularly in the winter when it is cold and there is very little moisture in the air and the forced-air furnace is running. Many people have to use humidifiers (I don't use one) to keep the house comfortable.

On my old model, I never removed the brush heads except to change them and perhaps once a month to clean the built-up toothpaste that accumulated around the collar that secured the head to the handle. I can honestly say that in 6+ years, there was never a hint of a mold problem.

On the new model, however, I began to see the appearance of black mold within 2-4 weeks of purchase. I think it may actually have to do with a rubber seal that is now placed around the base of the brush stem. Water can seep in and remain trapped more easily than on the old model which had no opening at that location. A sanitizer won't help, either, because the location where the mold is growing is not likely to be exposed to the UV light in the charger. It focuses on the brush stem and bristles, while the mold is in a sort of "cavern" that the light won't reach. In my opinion, the new model is a poor design and the company is going to have a significant problem until they redesign the brush heads and eliminate this rubber seal entirely, reverting back to a completely encapsulated design.

* Handle - my old handle was constructed entirely of plastic, with no rubberized sides. Admittedly, the new sides make it easier to grip. However, I don't ever recall dropping my old handle because it was overly slippery and my old handle sayed nice and clean because it was entirely of smooth plastic. After 6+ years the white had discolored to an unattractive dull yellow, but it had the important advantage of being able to keep clean. Any white plastic is bound to discolor over time.

The new design looks attractive now, with its accenting blue rubber sides; however, that rubber is very likely going to fade and discolor relatively quickly, unlike the previous model which took a very long time before it started to look shabby. Also, toothpaste sticks to the rubber more readily than to the smooth plastic of the old model, making it slightly more difficult to keep clean. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

* Handle seal - the handle's cover has a very small gap around the circumference, right below the threads where the brush head attaches. This is an obvious location for moisture ingression, since when you stand the toothbrush upright, water will drip down to the little "ledge" formed in this location and pool there. The gap isn't large, but is visible to the naked eye. If I can see it, so can water molecules. In time, I suspect this will spell a problem for the internals.

All in all, the new model is more attractive, has a battery indicator, and the angled brush head is slightly easier to use. However, I'm afraid these modest improvements do not eclipse the serious problem noted above; namely, mold growth.

I never used to have to take my brush head off, except when toothpaste built up and actually started to inhibit the sonic vibration of the brush head. Now, I've taken to removing the brush head after every use to allow everything to air dry properly. It's a bigger hassle and I'm not confident it will alleviate the mold growth. After all, I think most people are like me and want to focus on maintaining their TEETH - not their toothbrush.

And, I'm not real keen about having black mold 3 inches from my mouth, even if it is trapped inside the "guts" of the brush head and not on the brushes/stem itself.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2003
...but I'll say it anyway. This is an excellent product. I bought the 7300 model...I only wish everything I buy was of this quality and effectiveness. Everyone I tell about Sonicare says something like "Oh,yes, it's supposed to get your teeth whiter" or "Yeah, I have one of those where the brush spins." I then explain to them that no, it's not a spinning brush, and no, I don't use it because it makes my teeth whiter (although it does). When my dentist sold me my first Sonicare, he told me that in his opinion using Sonicare is like having microsurgery for gum disease, without the trauma and expense.
My next 3-month checkup after starting to use my Sonicare was the first one in my life where I had no cavities, no work to be done, and no bleeding gums. I've had several similar checkups since then. I attribute these results to Sonicare since that was the only change I made in my dental regimen.
If you don't already have a Sonicare, buy one. You won't regret it. Buy one for everyone you love. It may sound like a lot of money for a toothbrush, but it's worth way more than what it costs. I've already saved thousands in dental bills by using Sonicare. If mine somehow got lost, stolen or broken, I'd have to buy another one the same day. I'll never be without one again.
on January 9, 2004
I have been brushing with Sonicare for just over a year now - starting with the 4700, and now with the 7300. I cannot praise Sonicare enough! People accuse me of being a walking commercial, but when you find something this great - you've just got to share the joy.
Before Sonicare, visiting my dentist was always a really horrible experience. Despite my best efforts with my previous electric brush, all too often it would take two appointments just for a routine cleaning. The hygienist had to scale (and scale, and scale) by hand - because my teeth and gums were very sensitive, and because I had such deep "pockets" (yes, gum disease!) that the electronic scaler could not do the whole job anyway. I needed gas to make it through! It seemed like I always had another little cavity somewhere, and to make things worse, there was the constant look of disappointment from my dentist.
Needless to say, I had to find a solution. I spoke to a co-worker who raved about his Sonicare 4700. I decided to give it a try. It was a little expensive, but after brushing with it just once - I knew my teeth were miles cleaner right away. The "sonic" part took some getting used to, but I was determined. After a week or so, the brush's strong massaging action began to feel really good, and I actually looked forward to brushing.
In one week, my teeth were much whiter. As time went by, my gums became pink and healthy looking. Who knew blood did not have to accompany brushing?
Still, even though I knew things were improving, I put off going in for cleaning. All things considered, can you blame me? When I realized it had been nearly 16 months, I finally screwed up the courage to go.
I had my first post-Sonicare cleaning just last week. I had been in the chair only a few short minutes when, after picking at my teeth a little and blinking her eyes a lot, the hygienist abruptly left the room. I moaned to myself, "What, does she need a jack hammer?" Turned out she couldn't find any more to scale, and she was so amazed she brought in the dentist!
With Sonicare, I have finally conquered calculus. Even better, all traces of gum disease are GONE!!! "Pockets" that were "6", are now "1" - perfect! When I left the office, my dentist smiled at me and said, "Great job!"
I think both Sonicare models are terrific. The standard brush head on the 4700 was a little big to easily reach my back teeth (but I have a pretty small mouth.) Buying the "compact" head reduced that problem. The new 7300 features a brush head that is like a regular toothbrush in size and shape. I find the 7300 far easier to maneuver, but that's just my personal experience. The cleaning function seems equal.
Sure, the Sonicare is a little pricey and the "sonic action" takes some getting used to, but the pay off of healthy teeth and gums far outweighs those considerations. My 4700 obviously worked great (and still does), but the new 7300's smaller brush and lighter handle are really a perfect fit for me. I have not experienced any of the problems mentioned here - but even if I did.... I'd buy another Sonicare without a moment's hesitation.
on August 19, 2006
I'm surprised there aren't more complaints from users on how the brushhead's design traps toothpaste and mouth gunk (yuck!) inside its plastic shell- which can't be totally taken apart enough to get at the inner workings. Everyone is oohing and ahhing over the toothbrush's great performance (I don't disagree at all) but seem to overlook the poor design of the brushhead that allows gunk to build up quickly - even with a reasonably thorough "cleaning" following Sonicare's recommendations. They say nothing in the cleaning instructions on how to get into the areas beyond reach in the design.

I was hoping the Elite series would have improved on the older Advance series design that was hard to keep clean but not so. I don't know about most people but I wouldn't put something near my mouth festering with bacteria and black mold. I rinse the brushhead, wipe it as dry as I can and remove it from the handle after each use to air dry- but it isn't watertight so despite best efforts stuff will get into the inner part of the brush/magnet unit that is factory sealed (I'm not talking about the removable threaded part that screws into the handle). I have ended up taking apart the factory sealed part by bending the plastic tabs and giving the inner parts a good hot water bath and scrubbing with a q-tip. But the unit obviously isn't designed for the user to easily do this. Maybe Sonicare figures their customers will be discarding the brushhead in 3-6 months or whatever they recommend so no big deal.

For what you pay for the unit this is a major design flaw IMO. They need to design a totally sealed brushhead- why can't they use o-rings, rubber gaskets or a tighter rubber/vinyl boot like they use now to keep the brushhead sealed but still leave it flexible to vibrate?

Oh I laughed at the one negative review of the travel case- I use that a lot and the reviewer is super-picky. It's sturdy and latches fine and the plastic in the hinges is made to bend a lot. The carry case will outlast the toothbrush if they only last a few years like many people are saying. (<:
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2004
There may be other electric toothbrushes out there that are "better" than the Sonicare Elite but I will say, with no reservations, that this is the absolute best toothbrush I have ever used. I thought those simple little rotary toothbrushes were pretty nifty when they came out but they were not truly up to the challenge of getting my teeth really clean and stain-free. Based on positive reviews and a tempting Gold Box offer, I gave the Sonicare Elite a chance. The best dental investment I have ever made! Yes, it will tickle at first when you just start using it but the brush actually ramps itself up over the first ten or so (forget the exact number) uses to allow you time to get accustomed to it. The tickle factor was only the first couple of uses and then it moved past that - but try to avoid hitting your teeth with the plastic part because you'll feel the vibrations right through your skull. The stains that were developing immediately began to disappear and my teeth looked much whiter and felt wonderfully clean in just a couple of weeks without any "extra whitening" toothpaste. The improvement was pure Sonicare. Other things I love about it is the fact that it indicates when it is time to switch quadrants. I found that not only am I spending the proper time brushing my teeth now (without overdoing it) but this feature also keeps me more mindful of HOW I'm brushing my teeth. The timer effortlessly helps you be more consistent in your brushing behavior. And the other big plus for me is the fact that years and years of abusing my teeth and gums with a manual toothbrush (using excessive pressure) has caused my gums to erode under some of my teeth. Manual and rotary toothbrushes would sometimes hit a vulnerable nerve and cause major pain. I feared that would happen with the Sonicare but for some reason the Elite has never caused me any discomfort. A single charge lasts many sessions and the unit simply drops into its charger as simple and sweet as you'd ever want. The head is compact and the neck is slender so it gets into the tighter areas with ease. My brushing sessions are now more consistent and pain-free and my teeth are noticeably whiter and they feel exceptionally clean. Money well spent, in my opinion!